• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why you DON'T like Glock.

zjmccauley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2014
Colorado
There's a constant stigma behind Glock of how they're the seemingly end-ll be-all pistol, they even go as far to have their slogan as "Glock perfection" (In my mind reads as "Glock: perfection" I could be misinterpreting though :confused: ) and I must say, I remain unimpressed (not opposed to, however) by Glocks.

Lets hear some reasons YOU don't like glocks.

Couple of my impressions of glocks:

-Trigger breaks clean but feels very stiff
-Take down is awkward
-Slide catch is too small
-Have had problems with trigger not resetting on brand new glock 21
-Same glock felt like like bricks rubbing together while charging after ample clp
-Customer service was less than pleasurable when sent in to get fixed

Last edited:
Will second the thought on hating the take down method....they are also very ugly guns! Good things to say about them. They are the AK of pistols!!...they always go BANG when the trigger is pulled. Glock is my assigned duty weapon and as such I learn to live with it and have learned to shoot it well, but I shoot other guns much better (1911).

The only two things that I always change on my Glocks, sights and trigger. Get those taken care of with a good set of sight and some trigger work or new trigger and they work very well.

The full sized Glocks don't sit well in my hand and I always shoot high before intentionally adjusting it. Swapped it out for a Sig 226R and a Beretta M9A1 and I am much happier with them.

The full sized Glocks don't sit well in my hand and I always shoot high before intentionally adjusting it. Swapped it out for a Sig 226R and a Beretta M9A1 and I am much happier with them.

I'm a SIG advocate myself. Had a 92 fs inox previously as well, liked that too.

'Cause they're made in Austria and I never liked that Crocodile Dundee guy much.

It's a combat pistol. It was designed as such. No fancy looks,
no fancy trigger etc. all you need and nothing you don't. Goes bang
everytime and is accurate enough. What's not to like.

They're blocky (and therefore hard to conceal), they have an odd grip angle, even the best Glock trigger feels like it's activating the firing pin via rubber band, and they're ugly.

I own several, and recommend them highly; IMO if you need a gun that will go bang every time the trigger is pulled, you want a revolver or a Glock. They can be abused, neglected, and fed crappy ammo... and they just keep running. Most of the models are reasonably high capacity, and while the ergos aren't ideal for some, they're usually accurate enough in nearly everyone's hands.

Chamber is over sized, unsupported on bottom, at least on the 40's so the brass gets swelled. If you reload (I know not supposed to shoot reloads in a Glock, add that to the dislikes.) then you have an extra step to get the brass in shape. Have changed the barrels out on mine to solve this.
Grip angle is different than my main pistols (1911/2011) which causes the high hits.
The trigger sucks, even the 3.5 lb. version.
The "safety" lever on the trigger catches my finger as I index on it, finally glued it down flush with the rest of the trigger.
Good road plastic, if it gets stolen no big loss.

Last edited:
I love glocks. Ive used them down range in austere conditions and they work. They are conducive to shooting fast mainly because the bore axis is right above the hand(unlike Sigs, HKs, and a few others that are basically like holding a Glock with a finger or two off the grip). Ive measured them all... the bore axis is closest to the hand with the Glock and S&W. They are also cheap(mil deal = $390 w/ 3 mags)
Now, with that said I dremel the hell out of all of mine and stipple them, get the slide cut and mount an RMR to it(another advantage is its cheap to trick them out). I also add cuts in the slide. Though they tried with the Gen 4 and it is better than the Gen 3, they could do a better job with modularity for varying grip angles(not just grip size). In the end, Ive owned Sigs, HKs, carious 1911s(still love my STIs) and S&W M&P but my Glock is faster... the shot clock doesnt lie. I love the M&P, but again... refer to the last sentence. Also, many of Navy counterparts who carry sigs and didnt really like Glocks picked mine up and would say "Holy shit, this is tits... can you build me one like this?". I then build them one(seven total for guys) and they LOVE them.

Oh... take down is much easier with an $8 dollar upgrade from Glockworx.

Last edited:
CMH:
Glock - Austria
Crocodile Dundee - Australia

We had to carry glock model 22's as a duty weapon and:

1. Stock triggers are rough and when we had to switch to the 8 pound "New York" trigger it only got worse
2. The stock sights are not very good
3. The weight ratio between a full mag and empty is so bad that the pistol continues to get top heavy that is really noticeable over a stainless frame that is not as apparent
4. The recoil of a glock seems to never be the same thing twice. In other words it's not a steady recoiling pistol
5. Breakdown can be a PITA
6. Some stock barrels are crap and the only way to get them to shoot well is to replace the barrel ( model 20's specifically)
7. Stock mags can seperate if left loaded too long as the bottom plate tends to bulge out, best to replace them with aftermarket aluminum plate.
8. Magazine release button too small to reach without turning glock in hand unless you have "Shaquille O'neil" thumbs to reach the button from a standard grip.

Even though I retired I still keep 3 Glocks but I prefer SS 45's

Last edited:
Chamber is over sized, unsupported on bottom, at least on the 40's so the brass gets swelled. If you reload (I know not supposed to shoot reloads in a Glock, add that to the dislikes.) then you have an extra step to get the brass in shape. Have changed the barrels out on mine to solve this.

Bad bulge is an older generation problem. I have a Gen 4 35 and load the brass in that and my STI interchangeably. No special steps. Just through the sizing die.

Never heard you can't should reloads out of a Glock and I got my first 17 in 1988. Shots many thousand reloads through them. What's supposed to be the problem?

Bad bulge is an older generation problem. I have a Gen 4 35 and load the brass in that and my STI interchangeably. No special steps. Just through the sizing die.

Never heard you can't should reloads out of a Glock and I got my first 17 in 1988. Shots many thousand reloads through them. What's supposed to be the problem?
I've seen a handful of glock 40s explode (mostly older generations) at matches but they're not the only 40s that tend to explode with factory or reloaded ammunition. As far as not being able to reload in all glocks, dont know where that came from. not supposed to shoot lead has been said but the last 10000 rounds out of my 34 barrel have been lead and I still haven't had any issues. to the op about the slide release, well, learn how to shoot a pistol properly and don't use the damn thing on any pistol it'll just cause you issues. yes 1911s shoot nice but start shooting some practical competitions with your 1911 jamming dusty dirt covered magazine after magazine into it and the "100% reliable, never failed" bs I hear about a 1911 will go out the window. same goes for glock or any other. They all have failures, some just less than others.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Don't like the trigger (I'm a 1911 guy), the balance of the gun seems off when firing(metal slide/polymer frame is just weird), don't like the blocky appearance, and it would be tough to conceal. That said, I also have a 45 caliber hole in my beer fridge thanks to a guy I know and his glock. Anything/anyone who needlessly attacks a beer fridge like that has to be bad.

The Glock is the AK of the handgun world. I dont think its the "best" at any one task but it goes bang a very high percentage of the time when instructed to.
I carry a Glock 30 and other than adding Meprolight night sights nothing has been changed and it works well.

Blocks are what they are, not highly refined but not a bad pistol at all. I've owned a half dozen of them in different configurations and cartridges. Most of them worked pretty good. BTW, my G22 blew up when practicing with lead bullets, haha. They sold me another for cost. My wife just got a G42. It gets my vote for most shootable 380!

If I ever buy another wondernine it's going to be a M&P. IMO they one upped the G. The Steyr M9 is a really well done wondernine except for the occasional malfunction - heck I can buy 1911's costing 10 times more that do the same and have a better trigger.

2011, now that's the pistol. I'd surely like one of those 4.0's as a stable mate to the Edge.

I don't dislike them. I just shoot other brands better. Can't stand all of the Glock Fanboy crap.

The main thing I have an issue with is that the very different grip angle from most other guns will not allow an easy transition from one platform to another. Under stress if you train mainly with a Glock and happen to have a M&P (for instance) you will tend to shoot low....or vice versa, if you train with something else and happen to get handed a Glock, you will shoot high.

I don't point them naturally due to the way they fit my hands. Always hits high and left.

I won't say Glock is a bad pistol. When I pull the trigger, it goes bang. It definitely shoots differently than my XD(m), but I won't say it's worse. It just means I have to put more lead down range with each. And that's a good thing.

Too blocky for me. I like a slimmer grip, and with the double stack mag on the glock it just won't work. I guess I could have the grip straightened and made smaller in diameter. Never did any custom work to one. Not easy to ccw again because their blocky. Great gun just not my favorite.

This gun has a better trigger, grip angle, and ergonomics than a Glock. That's how I feel about them.

I don't like the feel, they just don't fit me. Don't like the trigger. And I wont have a pistol/revolver that you're not suppose to shoot cast bullets, that's about all I shoot.

I shoot a lot of action style pistol matches and they don't seem any more reliable then the M&P and less so then the Beretta. I doubt they will ever compare with USGI M1911a1 in the reliable department.

Are they the "AK" of the pistol world, don't know, but I don't like AKs either.

If I want to shoot for pure pleasure, I'll shoot revolvers. If I want reliability, I'll shoot my M1911a1, if I want accuracy I'll shoot my Series 70 Gold Cup, if I need lots of rounds between reloads I'll take my Berretta 92FS.

Used to absolutely hate them, but I guess carrying one for work has made me very comfortable with them and my proficiency has definitely increased dramatically with them. For me the only complaints are the trigger and the ergonomics (yes, even with the Gen4 which is my current issue for my primary). But I will say this, there is not a single striker fire pistol out there that I would regard as perfect. I wish someone could take the strengths of your big name striker fired pistols and meld them all together in one package to make an awesome firearm.

Other than that, I can't really find any reasons to not like the Glock. They just plain work.

The consensus I've gotten with mine and fries a with theirs is it's not a shooters gun, it always works and I makes a bad shooter better but makes a great shooter worse.
Seth

I've owned Berettas, Sigs, HKs, and 1911s. The only pistols I own now are Glocks. They might be hated by many, but I won't leave the house without one.

I found out the hard way about inability to shoot hard cast bullets in a G21.

1. pulled the trigger and no bang. pulled it again (should have known better) and huh?

2. It seems the first round lodged half way down the barrel and the second pushed it through.

3. The barrel bulged where the two rounds made contact but did not rupture/kaboom-I guess a testament to Glock barrels.

I sold it and purchased a TRP.

I don't like the feel, they just don't fit me. Don't like the trigger. And I wont have a pistol/revolver that you're not suppose to shoot cast bullets, that's about all I shoot.

I shoot a lot of action style pistol matches and they don't seem any more reliable then the M&P and less so then the Beretta. I doubt they will ever compare with USGI M1911a1 in the reliable department.

Are they the "AK" of the pistol world, don't know, but I don't like AKs either.

If I want to shoot for pure pleasure, I'll shoot revolvers. If I want reliability, I'll shoot my M1911a1, if I want accuracy I'll shoot my Series 70 Gold Cup, if I need lots of rounds between reloads I'll take my Berretta 92FS.

Hey Jeremiah Johnson, there's bullets out that have these shiny jackets on them called copper. You can get them cheap and your glock will run forever and then some.

Lawn Ranger that wasn't the Glock's fault but the ammo. The Glock will shoot cast bullets but they say over time with the polygonal rifling used it will cause unsafe pressures due to lead build up. Not jam bullets in the barrel.

Same as many others here. I used to own two 1st gen Glocks: a 20 and a 21. Didn't much mind the 21 but the 20 had horrible muzzle whip. Both had sub-par sights, mushy triggers (as in, when the hell is this thing going to fire?), and the (to me) unpleasant European grip angle.

Squib loads are what they are called I believe. And yes that's an ammo problem. I thought y'all knew that any problems a Glock has will always be either ammo or the user....never the Glock itself. Glocks are perfect right?

Last edited:
The grip is a little large and feel like the trigger reach could be a little shorter. That being said I own three.....guess I adapt and move on. I'm not sure why some are complaining about take down? I've always thought it was the easiest handgun to take down and fully disassemble. My 2 cents:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Squib loads are what they are called I believe. And yes that's an ammo problem. I thought y'all knew that any problems a Glock has will always be either ammo or the user....never the Glock itself. Glocks are perfect right?

Wasn't saying that Glocks were perfect but a Glock will not blow up with one round of lead shot through it. Will take many to build up and cause problems.

I've owned Berettas, Sigs, HKs, and 1911s. The only pistols I own now are Glocks. They might be hated by many, but I won't leave the house without one.
With a minor variation, I've gone through the same exact evolution in handguns. I might buy a 1911, or I might not. The only other handgun that I interchange with Glocks are S&W K frames. Between those two I have my handgun needs and wants met.

Not a fan of the Glock, but as many have posted the glock is a combat gun. That is what the gun was built for. Now I will say that they do make a lot of accessories for the glock and I have seen some nice glocks built by Glockwoxs, but still not a fan of them. I guess I have always been a fan of the 1911. Just my 2 cents on the subject. :cool:

For those who reload a lot, plated bullets are your friend on the factory Glock barrels. I have loaded more than I can keep track of and will occasionally load some for other guys at the PD as well.

Yes, that was definitely a squib load and is solely the fault of the ammo.

Another issue I forgot to mention about Glocks are that you better put a lot of rounds down range with your particular pistol if you are going to have a light mounted to it. Depending on the particular gun / light combo you may have malfunctions induced by the light mount stiffening up the frame. Prevents the frame from flexing as designed and will cause havoc in terms of reliability.

Lawn Ranger that wasn't the Glock's fault but the ammo. The Glock will shoot cast bullets but they say over time with the polygonal rifling used it will cause unsafe pressures due to lead build up. Not jam bullets in the barrel.

Bingo.
Ditto the same for HK or any poly rifling you shoot lead or soft plated bullets thru in quantity.

On the subject of lead and Glocks, I ran a quick test through my 17 Gen4.

I ran 200 rounds of my reloads. I forget the charge but the bullets were 147 grain cast boolits from Missouri Bullet Company. The alloy hardness was 12 BHN (this is important). MV was right around 950 fps.

I took the pistol apart every 50 rounds and visually noted the location and amount of lead deposited in the bore. At the end of 200 rounds the amount of lead was the same as it was after the first 50 and it was ALL on the last inch of the rifling (closest to the muzzle where the gas pressure is the lowest).

There was ZERO leading in the throat or anywhere in the rifling for 3/4 of the length of the bore. The secret is having your loads generate enough pressure to obturate the bullet. In other words, don't use excessively hard bullets (18 BHN or more) in non-magnum calibers or you won't have enough pressure to obturate them against the bore, and then you will have gas leaking fwd past the base of the bullet and painting the crap out of your barrel with lead.

I've been blessed with having used a number of pistols. H&K, Sig (p series and 1911), Springfield (xd and 1911), as well as Glock. The Glocks are as reliable as the best of them, and truth be told, that is my number one demand in a weapon, that it fire when its been asked to. Having said that, it has the worst ergonomics (to include grip angle) of any of my hand guns. Not so bad that I can't make it work (apparently). The main reason I have one is, I can beat it up and not feel like a fool. They feel cheap because, they are cheap. At the same time, I'm glad they exist, as they have compelled a lot of other manufacturers to expand and improve designs.

Another trick is wrap a copper charbroil scrubber around a bore brush to a tight fit to clean lead out of a pistol barrel. This method is the superior to any other non solvent method. 3 times down the barrel every 100 rounds takes care of stubborn lead.