• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why you DON'T like Glock.

I only bought one. A M31. It does go bang when you pull the trigger. It did not meet my accuracy expectations, compared to my old 1911's. It doesn't fit my hand. Finger grooves, off, back of the slide too high, just feels awkward in my hand. The trigger actually isn't too bad, sights are okay. Only had one jam in a couple of years, a stovepipe that got caught between the slide and the next round trying to chamber.

It took about 3 years to work my way through several brands of plastic pistols but I finally found my "holy grail" of plastic and I'll be buying another one or two and getting rid of some of the not-so-hot plastic guns bought earlier in my quest.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just don't get it. Why start a thread with the intention of getting others to bandwagon on your dislike for a gun manufacture? You don't like them....we get it. Don't buy one. This is just so much wasted time and energy and is as pointless as the fanboys circle jerking about their favorite gun. They are tools. Use what works best for you and STFU.

What's the opposite of a fanboy?

Sorry, I just don't get it. Why start a thread with the intention of getting others to bandwagon on your dislike for a gun manufacture? You don't like them....we get it. Don't buy one. This is just so much wasted time and energy and is as pointless as the fanboys circle jerking about their favorite gun. They are tools. Use what works best for you and STFU.

What's the opposite of a fanboy?

...or we can discuss it, which is the sole purpose of having a gun forum. If the OP wants to start a thread about Glocks, then let him. If you don't want to read the thread, then don't read it.

I dont care for the finger grooves or the hump on the back of the grip, the rest of the minor issues are correctable with an upgrade here or there and training. Lets not forget it is a mass produced gun that retails for less than $600...it's not going to be perfect.

I don't point them naturally due to the way they fit my hands. Always hits high and left.

Ditto here. I did several combat pistol courses with an M9 (25th ID - Light "less brains, more drilling") and always came within a shot or two of maxing the course.

I'd take my Glock to the range and should shoot minute of torso, barely. Could NOT get the gun to group. Actually sent it back to Glock with a WTF is wrong with this gun note (it was only my third semi auto) and one of their gunsmiths' sent me a "how to shoot pistols" handbook with a note that they couldn't find anything "wrong," with it.

For me, the Glock was just wrong all over. Grip, ergonomics, sight picture, trigger. I sold it for about $100 more than I bought it for five years later.

Many many SIGs and 1911s later, I know what works for me.

As they say, YMMV.

Glocks aren't for everybody, no question. However, I really enjoy mine - they all go bang every time no matter what (it's the AK-47 of handguns...for me anyway). I've never once had a failure to feed, fire, or, extract in thousands of rounds of everything from cheap ass steel cased Wolf to premium Federal match ammo...FMJ's, Hollow Points, whatever - it keeps shooting. Consistent trigger pull & reset, accurate enough for self defense (it's not a bullseye match pistol after all) it's a fighting gun. Plus, it's very easy to maintain, clean and operate.

Just today one of my local FFL's is having "Glock Days" all weekend long. Therefore, I decided to stop by and talk to the Glock Representative on site. I advised him (David) that I purchased my Glock 31 in 2005 (9 years ago) and that my factory night sights were going dim. He said no problem, we warranty factory Glock night sights for 15 years (wow). He told me to bring it in and he would check it out.

Well, I returned an hour later with my pistol. He took a quick look at it and said, yeah they're dim - no problem. Within 20 minutes he replaced them with brand new Trijicons and replaced my recoil spring assembly (as it's an older model and he wanted me to have a current, new fresh model) all for a $0.00 charge! Outstanding customer service...I thanked him and told him I really appreciate that they back up their products and keep their customers happy.

AvsFan:cool:

ETA: Family photo:) Gen4 41, Gen4 35, Gen3 31, Gen4 19

mrwwtu.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I just don't get it. Why start a thread with the intention of getting others to bandwagon on your dislike for a gun manufacture?

Yep. Definitely a violation of our 28th amendment rights.

Chevy, ford! Ford, chevy! Not every pistol works for all. I buy and own handguns for one thing, personal defense. I have owned several different makes, some plastic and some all steel, different calibers. I choose glock because of reliability, and i shoot them well. I also choose 9mm. I can practice with 9mm cheaper and the self defense ammo for the 9 anymore is outstanding. My go to carry gun is a mod. 19. I can conceal it just fine. I trust my and my family members lives with a glock. It go's bang everytime, period!!!!!!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I am not a Glock fan but understand the legion they have built. Cheap, goes bang every time, easy and cheap to customize, and very durable.

With all that said the same is true for the Smith & Wesson M&P's. For me they feel better in my hand.

I really wanted a gen 4 19 but all the internet lore of btf and weak ejection scared me away. Such is life. Now I'm stuck with a hk p30 and an m&p shield. They throw the brass way to the right and I only get btf if I shoot left handed with my arm stuck straight out at 9 o'clock and the barrel pointed at 12 o'clock .jk

When I got my first pistol 10 years ago I wanted a glock 23 but felt wrong compared to an xd to my hand. So I got the xd. It's had approx 7000 .40s through it with one memorable fte. Which was one handed no mag. May have been others not sure.

The recoil spring guide rod flange broke on my G21 in the mid-90s after less than 1000 factory rounds (MUCH less I believe). I didn't discover that break until I disassembled it to clean it, so it could have happened during firing and it kept on firing or it could have happened on the last round I shot. Either way, when I looked closely at that flange and thought about how much of a beating that part takes and looked at how thin they made that part, I got it replaced for free by Glock and immediately traded it away and haven't looked back.

glocks meh they are crap, gonna carry go in style. Never liked they way they feel and trigger is odd.

What's the consensus on carrying one concealed? Let's keep it to a full size pistol for argument sake. I've seen several people try to carry them concealed and they print quite easily. These were people of every body type. Ecto, iso, and mesomorphs. For a thinner guy like me, my full size 1911 is actually easier to conceal. I guess it would depend on the type of holster too but that's all shooter's choice.

I don't like them because they hold their value to well and I'd like to buy more. Plus I'd like to replace the ones that I sold to pay for other toys.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When my old shooting team was picked up by Glock, my buddy hated them. He bitched the whole time he shot it because it pointed high for him just like everyone else. He was even bitching when he won the IDPA state championship with it.

At the risk of going all off-topic (not me, others... you'll see), I still, after all these years seeing this brought up on the boards, enjoy seeing the sh*tstorm that gets generated from this line of questioning.

Glock owners, advocates, fanboys, glockaholics, get so DEFENSIVE when this comes up.

Same kind of thing you hear from Harley-Davidson owners about breakdowns, longevity, etc. when compared to, say, a high-quality, smooth-running machine like BMW.

Ahem.

Because they are big and ugly. I call them Blocks. The sights are terrible. I don't hate them they just don't feel well in my hand compared to all my XD's.

Because they are big and ugly. I call them Blocks. The sights are terrible. I don't hate them they just don't feel well in my hand compared to all my XD's.

You shoot XDs and think *Glocks* are ugly?

I like my G19 well enough...then again I was just fine with my P2340.

Oh yea? Well, my Glock is better than your Glock. Glocks must be a well made and reliable firearm. This conversation wouldn't be here of they weren't. After all, if the same thread was started about Hi-Points I doubt we would would have seen this many (if any) people come to bat for them. I never owned a Glock until I saw a video of a guy drag a G19 behind his truck for about 5 miles through the desert and then shoot it. My HK USP would NOT have fired after that. The hammer would have been broken off. I dont care if Glocks are "better" than others. I KNOW they work....every time. So for me, I will always carry Glock. Still love 1911s, S&W Revolvers and HKs. But for self defense and a SHTF scenario. ..Glocks are what you want.

Last edited:
I want a hammer on the back and a decocker with a double/single action.

Oh...I forgot to add what I don't like. They aren't offered in more colors like gun-metal grey or desert tan. They don't make a single stack 9mm. They don't make factory 16" barrels. They don't make a factory G26 threaded barrel. Wish my 34 came with factory front slide serrations. They don't just install the 3.5lb trigger connector at the factory...cuz I'm gunna do it anyway. There are a few more but this enough for now.

Last edited:
I had a Glock 22 Gen 4 and hated the ergonomics and factory sights, it is a very realiable pistol no doubt but not more so than a Beretta 92 or S&W M&P in my experience.....I sold it a few months......

dislikes:

1. don't like them because they don't fit my small girlie sized hands well. (gen 4 is much nicer for feel and traction with the stippling)

2. don't like them because they don't have "personality" - fugly as hell.

3. don't like them as i prefer pistols that don't feel like it was going to fall apart

4. never shot one that was bone stock from the factory (other than in .357 sig) that grouped well for "shooting paper"

5. handles rapid firing like shit vs. just about anything else.

1. even with the above said, when really needing 1 pistol for self defense or a duty pistol, i wouldn't want anything else.

2. easy to field strip, clean, reassemble.

dislikes:

1. don't like them because they don't fit my small girlie sized hands well. (gen 4 is much nicer for feel and traction with the stippling)

2. don't like them because they don't have "personality" - fugly as hell.

3. don't like them as i prefer pistols that don't feel like it was going to fall apart

4. never shot one that was bone stock from the factory (other than in .357 sig) that grouped well for "shooting paper"

5. handles rapid firing like shit vs. just about anything else.

1. even with the above said, when really needing 1 pistol for self defense or a duty pistol, i wouldn't want anything else.

2. easy to field strip, clean, reassemble.
I will challenge you on the "rapid fires like shit" claim. you can use anything else you desire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

What's the consensus on carrying one concealed? Let's keep it to a full size pistol for argument sake. I've seen several people try to carry them concealed and they print quite easily. These were people of every body type. Ecto, iso, and mesomorphs. For a thinner guy like me, my full size 1911 is actually easier to conceal. I guess it would depend on the type of holster too but that's all shooter's choice.

I (ecto) like the slide of the fullsize G17 and G22 but find the grip too long to conceal. Therefore, I either carry the compact G19 or G23 with a compact magazine loaded and a full size spare mag. The full size spare is very easy to seat in the shorter grip.

I am also testing a Frankenglock with a G17 slide on a G19 frame and the necessary parts from Lone Wolf. If that is reliable, I may switch for the longer sight radius and smoother cycling.

Other than that, I like the SIG P228/P229, especially in the winter. It is a whole lot more forgiving with cold, numb hands.

i meant the way it handles in the hand or grip / muzzle flip / palm stinging / snappy, should have been more descriptive, sorry bout that.

feeds / ejects the rounds well while rapid firing.

I will challenge you on the "rapid fires like shit" claim. you can use anything else you desire.

I was going to argue with that too but thought "Whatever makes him happy ...". One of my instructors does a 6x6 (draw, shot 6 rounds, mag change behind cover, and then another 6 shots) in less than 4 seconds with all A zone hits at 7 yards. I would call that pretty fast.

There are all sorts of pistols I like, and all sorts of them that I don't like. I what I focus on are the guns I like. I'm willing to admit that many of the guns I don't like are decent pistols...I just don't prefer them when compared to the ones I DO like.

Too few people are willing to admit that it is simply personal preference, and they then seek to come up with all manner of excuses to denigrate an otherwise decent pistol.

For me, I just don't like Sig pistols. They are plenty accurate, reliable, durable, and work just fine...I just don't like them. It is the same with Browning high powers in that I don't like the trigger reset mechanism.

Either the Sig, and Browning would suit me just fine if my choices were:
1. Sig or Browning High Power
2. no handgun
3. a knife or sharpened stick

However, if I am going to spend my money on a pistol, there are plenty of other pistols I would buy before I would look at a Sig or High Power. (I have never owned a Sig, but have owned 3 really nice High Powers in my attempt to like them)

All the above applies just as well to the Glock pistols. They are much more accurate, durable, and reliable than they should be for what they are. They have almost zero personality, but they serve their intended purposes very well.

I just don't shoot it as well as other pistols.

Have owned/own a G21, G30, G19, Sig 220, Colt 1911, S&W M&P9, XDM9. I am a pistol instructor and despite my best efforts I just shoot other pistols better. IMO that's the second most important thing when choosing a pistol, second only to reliability. Since all of those mentioned that I own work, it comes down to what shoots the best for me.

My 1911 is the most accurate, I've taken money off a few people with that thing. I currently carry an XDM9 at work, it shoots very well also and I like the capacity very much.

i meant the way it handles in the hand or grip / muzzle flip / palm stinging / snappy, should have been more descriptive, sorry bout that.

feeds / ejects the rounds well while rapid firing.

Maybe you need to work on your grip a bit.

The individual glock pistol is very serviceable and balances features very well into an affordable and usable package. While some choices may eclipse the glock in certain areas the glock gets the whole package right. Further more they can be used as a system unlike some other guns, meaning that you can have a fulsize and subcompact gun, and the accessories(holster, mags, etc) for the fulsize will fit the sub. There is a pistol in the glock line up that will fit anyone's needs. It may not be the absolute best, but it will work as well as any.

However the thing that sets glocks apart is the network surrounding the pistol. Stocking dealers can sends employees to the armorer's course for free, coupled with the ease with which the pistols may be worked on. Parts can be ordered from normal distributors making them much easier for gun stores to order and keep on the shelf for cheap, and the aftermarket is huge. If you need an aftermarket slide made of chupacabra bone, chances are someone makes it already. If you go to a gunsite class 2/3 of the shooters will be shooting glocks so if you need something someone will have it to lend. That network doesn't exist for any other pistol.

With that in mind they are not some mythical machine magicked down from Elysium by gaston. It is stupid to develope an emotional attachment to a machine which is a tool. Whena better tool comes along, replace and don't look back.

My sig p228 is the last pistol I will sell but my glock is the one that goes with me and keeps me safe.

Bad bulge is an older generation problem. I have a Gen 4 35 and load the brass in that and my STI interchangeably. No special steps. Just through the sizing die.

Never heard you can't should reloads out of a Glock and I got my first 17 in 1988. Shots many thousand reloads through them. What's supposed to be the problem?

On page 15 of the Glock owners manual I have it states in bold red letters:
The use of reloaded ammunition will void the Glock warranty.

I got one of the first 2000 Glock 17's brought into the U. S., still have it. Shot many a match with it, moved to a 35 and shot it for a couple years until it screwed me again with FTF. Finally bit the bullet so to speak and got an STI EDGE, now that's a pistol you can count on. Yes more expensive but worth every penny. As I stated in my original post, Glocks have their place (road plastic) other than that I personally don't care for them.

I got one of the first 2000 Glock 17's brought into the U. S., still have it. Shot many a match with it, moved to a 35 and shot it for a couple years until it screwed me again with FTF. Finally bit the bullet so to speak and got an STI EDGE, now that's a pistol you can count on. Yes more expensive but worth every penny. As I stated in my original post, Glocks have their place (road plastic) other than that I personally don't care for them.
Most manufacturers have that same warranty statement. You can shoot reloads just fine, countless competitors and other shooters shoot them just fine. My glock know no difference even after thousands of reloaded rounds through them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Yeah reloads pretty much void every warranty I've ever seen. And an sti? yeah I've never had to tune my glock mags to make it run. Or keep it in a baggie out of the dust before each stage.

Not sure an STI was the correct choice if ftfs were your complaint with the glock. Good guns but they have limited appeal outside of competition to me.

Not sure an STI was the correct choice if ftfs were your complaint with the glock. Good guns but they have limited appeal outside of competition to me.

The STI I run is as close to 100% as is possible for anything mechanical. There is a reason most of the top IPSC and 3 Gun competitors run STI, SVI, or some form of a 1911. You will see the rare Glock in the top 20, it's usually the same guy that is dedicated to the Glock (sponsored). As you can tell by my post I'm talking comps. It is a good cheap entry level pistol for those wanting to compete, most move on if they get serious.

The reload statement was a reply to the poster that he'd never heard you shouldn't shoot reloads in a Glock, owners manual backs up my statement.

Just before I got on board with Glock, I was torn between the Glock and the M&P. The only thing that tipped me to Glock was the trigger. Though I am not a fan of the blade safety, it was still better than the M&P trigger at that time. Now that they have the Shield trigger in all the M&Ps it really swung the scale the other way. That being said, my go-to carry gun is still the 23 and probably will be forever. But I now own a full size M&P 9 and I love it.

I'm 5'9"/180 lbs and routinely carry a 17 IWB. If you didn't know who I was and I walked right by you, you would never guess I was armed.

The STI I run is as close to 100% as is possible for anything mechanical. There is a reason most of the top IPSC and 3 Gun competitors run STI, SVI, or some form of a 1911. You will see the rare Glock in the top 20, it's usually the same guy that is dedicated to the Glock (sponsored). As you can tell by my post I'm talking comps. It is a good cheap entry level pistol for those wanting to compete, most move on if they get serious.

The reload statement was a reply to the poster that he'd never heard you shouldn't shoot reloads in a Glock, owners manual backs up my statement.
Yes most shooters use an sti (not really, they use the frame is about all) because it offers more capacity and a better trigger and tighter tolerances. downfalls are most have to have magazines tuned to feed properly and have all sorts of issues that come along with a high end limited or open gun. The glock is fitted for production class, not limited. it obviously has draw back when comparing it to that competing class but I would never carry an sti for defensive use or trust it. I watch constant problems on the 2011s every week at each match. it takes a lot of work to keep them running smooth.

I'm not saying everyone has that problem. If my 5'10", 160lb frame can conceal a full size 1911 just fine as well. Just a common thing I've seen. This is probably a training issue, but it may also be more evident because of how many glocks are floating around. I've seen the same issue with other weapons, but as I said, it seems to by more of an issue with glocks.
More on the original topic, I'm not saying that glocks are worthless, or crappy, or whatever. I, personally just don't like them for several reasons. Personal preference I guess.