• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Winchester M70 sniper

Chris42

GMT2
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2013
South Central PA.
Hello gentlemen,

I have a post 64 win Model 70 in 308. it is a heavy barrel target, maybe Palma style, rifle. On gunbroker there is a newly manufactured stock that is made for the 30.06 round.

Are the two actions the same length?

While I like target rifles, I am wondering if the rifle action and barrel will drop into this new stock. I can certainly do some fitting, but don't want to completely rework it. My hope is a simple swap to something like the Vietnam era sniper rifles, excepting that it will be in .308 A 10x Unertl with a 3/4" tube will top the rifle. (yes, I know that an 8x is what should be there).

What say you O wise wizards of the great weapons?

Depends on the year of manufacture of your rifle. Post-64 in .308, and all calibers, up to 1985 are long action. They do have a shorter bolt, but built around a long action receiver.

Take some measurements; receiver, distance between trigger guard holes and let us know.

I have one of those (Model 70 308 Tgt Rifle), Its an Ex USAMU Target rifle I got from the CMP Auction Site. Sucker is a shooter. It came with blocks for the Unertl type scope and mounts for the Redfield Olympic Sights. Sucker is a shooter.

Don't worry if its a long action (mine is). That is no deterrent.

DSCN0101.JPG

Easy to measure it and see. A post-64 long action is about 9.290" long and has guard screw spacing of 7.575" A post-64 short action is 8.80" long and has guard screw spacing of 7.035".

My dial caliper is only 6". Given that, the action is all of 9.25" long and the bolts holding the action in the stock appear to be 7.625 plus or minus a little. From Dicks numbers, this is a long action.

It is a twin to the KraigWY rifle, even has the white line butt pad. Mine came with sights, aluminum fore end hand stop and box. Barrel finish is a matt black, action looks to be black parkerizing.

So a stock cut for the Winchester long action will fit all long actions - cut for the 30.06 it will fit the .308

This is good news.

The ad says the new stock is cut for a "varmint contour barrel" - I take that to mean a heavy barrel - and am hoping my target barrel will again "drop in".

Do you think this luck will hold out?