• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wind effect on bullet

Keep in mind, none of the “why” matters much. Just know that wind is fluid and can have an influence in all directions depending on terrain and such. A slight understanding of the physics helps, but much more than that won’t actually benefit you in the field.

Focus more or reading wind types in the field and less time on the physics aspect of it if your goal is to actually shoot better.

Reactions: MCHOG
Post 47 above is perfect. Straight out of the book and chapter I recommended. Angle of attack is the relation of the nose of the bullet to the relative wind not direction of travel. Angle of attack in that diagram is yaw. AoA happens in the vertical plane not the horizontal. Furthermore, the relative wind is rarely straight down the axis except for a direct headwind or direct tailwind.

Thanks.

Yes. I'm new to this, but a pilot, so trying to simplify new information into a world I do understand.

no, the stabilization fights to keep the center of pressure behind the center of gravity. What causes the “push” is the decay in velocity and the bullets inability to create velocity once its fired. so that yaw angle gets larger when compared to the direction of flight (or line of sight throgh the scope) which does increase the aerodynamic drag forces on the projectile. Drag is a sideffect not a cause.

Which push are you referring to? The push to turn the bullet inte the wind or the push that deflects the bullet? Please be more specific in you response. You wrote above about the book Applied Ballistics. You know I did read Litz several times, and I know what it says. He says that the bullet turn into the wind so that the air resistance of the projectile is no longer in a straight line between the shooter and the target but at an angle. As the bullet travels down range this causes the bullet to be deflected offcourse. This is what Litz writes and it makes sense to me. As to the exact reason why the bullet turns into the wind he does not specify. I have drawn my owns conclusions as to why it turns and it has to be drag on the wind side.
Regarding your point about the gyroscopic stability you are playing a semantic game. The gyroscopic stabilization makes it harder to turn a spinning axle period. It strives to only move in the direction of the axle.

Best regards
//

I've seen tons of photos and high-speed video of bullets in flight from the horizontal perspective. It seems like it would be relatively easy to do that looking down on the bullet. If someone set a camera up on a windy day a few feet in front of, and above, a target and pointed down, it seems like that would put a lot of the theoretical discussion about the bullet turning to rest. I feel like that should have already been done.

Interesting
I didn’t know that.

And honestly, you really don’t need to. Prior to this part of the chapter Litz even says you don’t need the rest of the chapter, it’s just there for educational purposes.

Me Tarzan, you Jane. All we need to know.

Reactions: Steel head
And honestly, you really don’t need to. Prior to this part of the chapter Litz even says you don’t need the rest of the chapter, it’s just there for educational purposes.

Me Tarzan, you Jane. All we need to know.
beyond my pay grade anyways.

My name isn’t Jane by the way and I don’t have an attractive ass:(