• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winter camouflage advice request

mr223a1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Winter is coming and I need some snow camo set in non-hunting pattern. I want something durable and non-soaking, that can be worn over regular winter gear. I was looking for USMC winter MARPAT covers, but haven't seen anything bigger than Large Regular on Ebay. I'm afraid that's too small. Does anyone know where can I find size chart for these covers? Vertx Overwhite Set looks nice, but is kinda pricey. Any other options?

Thanks for your input guys.

It has a lot of green and tan as for winter camo, while the supposed white looks rather yellowish. I highly doubt it could blend well in either open or woodland winter environment. No successful all-around winter pattern uses such combination.

I know a couple guys who have used the cheap white painters oversuits from home depot.
Sounds like a great idea, until you try it out. It will soak wet, get heavy and cold in no time, or it will be ripped by shrubs and branches. Not an option.

The Swedes have a pretty good set of Over whites but for the life of me I CANT THINK OF WHAT THEY CALL THEM.....

I know a couple guys who have used the cheap white painters oversuits from home depot.

tyvex....
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TYVEK-No-Elastic-Disposable-Coverall-XL-14123/203347781#.UqjRi_RDv-s

dupty122swhlg00.jpg

The Swedes have a pretty good set of Over whites but for the life of me I CANT THINK OF WHAT THEY CALL THEM.....
It's called m/90v. It's obtainable commercially, decent but rather expensive. Finnish m/05 winter camo is much better, but impossible to get.

The tyvex suits are what i was thinking of, not the ones that get soaked. Made a tarp of this from a scrap for an ultralight shelter. Works well. Could make seperate pants/poncho to make it easier to use. Know a couple guys who just use an "over the top" approach when lying on something in the shadows when winter hunting, mostly yotes. They use plain white sheets. Good luck

not to be a smartass but an old white sheet with a head hole cut out, worn like a poncho have always worked well us. Can even krylon some color splashes if need be.

and by "us" i of course mean the WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Tyrannus over suit is cool, but 400 bucks? Wow!
I'm just waiting for someone to post that pic with the dude in his wife's wedding dress...

I really really want a set if overwhites such as the arctyrx wraith that are super light/compact just less than $300. Maybe if I can find some usmc ones cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key is to find something that the snow doesnt stick to. I have a set that I just slip over but the snow sticks to it so bad after I get up im covered.

TRAAV is absolutely correct. You need to have something that is at the very least, water resistant, so snow wont stick to it, and so that wet/melted snow wont soak in, freeze and make it stiff. Cotton bed sheets soak up water, freeze and get hard and brittle. Avoid ANY overwhite military issue overwhite suit that is cotton or a cotton blend. Some made out of nylon are pretty good though, you can try searching the net for the Trojan Overwhites by DHK. I've got a few sets for back ups if you're in a bind and want to go "ALL WHITE"

ptrlcop, the Arctyrx Wraith are absolutely, unequivocally and most certainly are NOT WHITE. I bought the jacket and pants both last year, thinking they would be a great option, and they are GREY. Not even close to being kinda white. They are GREY. Period. I was very upset when I get them and returned them immediately.

There are a lot of really really good options, but the best ones aren't going to be cheap. The USMC versions as well as the ones made by VERTX are great for camo, but they are an inferior type of nylon with no DWR finish so they get wet and they freeze really easy. I had a set of these and ditched them as well.

The most effective system I've used so far is an overwhite suit that we had the pleasure to test made by Applied Orange in Pencott Snowdrift. (Same as the Tyrannus suit) The fabric is not waterproof, but it's got a good enough DWR coating that water beads up and snow just falls off, even after sitting and laying in it for hours. There are a few companies making overwhite suits out of it, but your best bet for a "budget" system is to contact a company called Domari Nolo Defence Consulting, and see if they can make you a CLFP jacket, and you might be able to talk them into making you a trouser as well. They do a lot of one off, custom stuff. Tell them O'Neill Ops sent you and you need some snow camo.

O’Neill Ops mix it up a bit with BadLands™ and SnowDrift™

Some of the other guys making snow camo suits out of this pattern are SABRE, Drop Zone Tactical (as already mentioned)

1456657_731604696851168_405992747_n.jpg

Very informative post, thanks. Could you clarify whether USMC and VERTX nylon sets freeze as fast as military issue overwhite cotton? It seems that Gore-tex camo set will be the best option freezing-wise. Haven't seen anything like that though.

Very informative post, thanks. Could you clarify whether USMC and VERTX nylon sets freeze as fast as military issue overwhite cotton? It seems that Gore-tex camo set will be the best option freezing-wise. Haven't seen anything like that though.

The nylon that USMC and VERTX use are not as bad as cotton, because cotton absorbs water. That's really really bad for winter gear and I have no idea why it was ever considered a viable option.
The nylon they use is not bad really. It's a synthetic fiber that does not absorb water, but the water molecules can become trapped between the threads. That's what gives the fabric the "wet look" that we associate with "being wet"

It's not nearly as bad as cotton, but still not good enough IMO.