• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winter/ski jacket recommendations

seansmd

In a minute man
Minuteman
  • Aug 8, 2018
    AZ
    Not shooting related, but get good insight on equipment here.

Use, single jacket for winter, skiiing, travel to cold climates, etc. Not for hunting or matches, functional, versatile, etc.

Replacing a Columbia 3:1 that is dated and too big after losing some lbs.

Tag

Headed to Colorado skiing for the first time in 8 years and need a jacket and pants. What about the Guide series from Kuiu?

Reactions: seansmd
    There are many good options but here are some features you should look for

goretex and wind proof,

A hood

a powder skirt, (keeps snow from coming up the jacket, keeps cold wind from doing
    The same

Patagonia or Arcteryx depending on your budget have always worked well for me.

I buy an outside shell that is Goretex and water repellent and then zip in a liner. That way the jacket can be worn in multiple climate zones..

I am super partial to Wool though and Filson makes some very nice wool coats that are super warm. I also have a Filson tin cloth coat with a removable wool liner that is impervious to water. That is an expensive option though.

If you want to use it for skiing, get a ski specific brand like Spyder, Obermeyer, Kjus, Karbon. They're also great for general cold weather.

Last edited:
    To keep it simple-Patagonia synthetic or down winter jacket depending on your preference-they have pullovers, full zip, different weights etc. They stand by their products forever.

Spyder makes nice gear. Just sold my Spyder bibs and jacket.

Outdoor Research makes some nice budget friendly stuff and Gerry is trying to make a comeback w/ a budget friendly line of stuff. I have a newer pair of the Gerrys and I like them. While not high fashion, it works.

Merino wool for anything that touches your skin. No cotton on skin. Avoid cotton if possible and stay w/ synthetic materials or wool.

Vanqysh.

IMG_0496.jpeg

Bormio.

IMG_0503.jpeg

After wearing heavy insulated hardshell jackets for most my life, I am now a firm believer in an insulated softshell and a Gore-tex hardshell layering system. It's infinitely more versatile and convenient. My personal favorite is the Arcteryx Atom Hoody, and Arcteryx Alpha hardshell.

To keep it simple-Patagonia synthetic or down winter jacket depending on your preference-they have pullovers, full zip, different weights etc. They stand by their products forever.

I used to like Patagonia... Then they moved into Bozeman MT with all these left wing opinions and demands, stayed for just a few years, then left Bozeman- AFTER the town made many compromises for them. Fuck Patagonia for the radical left wingers they are.

@Nik H

Last edited:
    Tag

Headed to Colorado skiing for the first time in 8 years and need a jacket and pants. What about the Guide series from Kuiu?

Looks like a nice jacket, but from what I can see it doesn't have a powder skirt ( a sort of gaiter that is part of the jacket that creates a seal around your waist) which as z7.jled said above is pretty essential for skiing. It's also a camo jacket, which is fine so long as it's not effective as camo where your skiing. In the event the camo is actually effective as camo that's an undesirable trait for down hill skiing where you want to be as visible as possible to help avoid collisions with other skiers/snowboarders.

To the general question. The problem is trying to find something that is versatile for many activities without compromising too much on viability for specific uses. Speaking of downhill skiing, you want clothing that's going to keep you warm on a mountain in winter. Not get clammy when your exerting yourself, nor cold when your sitting on a chairlift for 10 minutes in a blizzard. Snow proof, wind proof, a degree of water proof as well. and as I mentioned before visibility to others. The problem is that same clothing is probably not what you want to be wearing say cross country skiing or walking around town in winter unless it's really bad weather. Basically any gear from a reputable company you find meant specifically for downhill skiing/snowboarding is going to be good for that. Combined with wool and/or synthetic under layers you'll be set for that activity. Whether it's going to be great for other winter activities as well I'm less certain about.

I like Spyder jacket/pants for skiing. Works perfectly with a turtle neck under it. If it is below 5F, I would add a long sleeve thermal under shirt and underwear.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    After wearing heavy insulated hardshell jackets for most my life, I am now a firm believer in an insulated softshell and a Gore-tex hardshell layering system. It's infinitely more versatile and convenient. My personal favorite is the Arcteryx Atom Hoody, and Arcteryx Alpha hardshell.

This^

My son and I are avid skiiers. Last year I bought him new columbia titanium series pants and hardshell jacket both with omniheat. I have used them on a couple of occasions. I can wear the pants with no baselayer to 5° easily - just boxers. Stuff just works, is light and the water resistence is excellent. Downside is they are are not all that breathable, you will have swamp ass after a full day of skiing.

Also, Patagonia was pretty good. But IMO the quality has dimished over the past few years yet they still charge a premium. I would stay away TBH.

Arcteryx is excellent, as long as you want to dish out 500 to 700 for a quality hardshell.

Mountain Hardwear also makes good stuff. Lady I knew was decked out in it when she climbed Kilimanjaro. I had a poofy jacket and a softshell by them, they were great.

Depends on budget and future use.

Good suggestions so far.

lots of good brands at a discount on Sierra Trading Post.
    You can order different ones to try and return stuff you dont like easily.

I ski different than the average visitor or occasional skier, so what works for me doesnt work for many.

ski specific gear will work best.

for a decade I skied well over 100 days a year, for fun and professionally.
    happy to answer questions best I can via PM.

I have little use for fashion any longer and concentrate on function, utility and price. About forty years ago I bought a Columbia Quad-Parka at the factory store. It was originally for duck hunting but morphed into regular use for hunting, steelhead fishing and even at work. The main zipper is a two way that finally gave out this winter. I just ordered a woodland-camo Goretex parka (shell). a digital- camo Goretex parka (shell) and a Polartec fleece jacket rated at 16-68 degree comfort level. All are milsurp and new. Total with shipping was less than $275. We'll see.

Also, I love KUIU for hunting and I dont think I would be inclined to wear it skiing.

If you were to layer well under the Chugach rain gear would probably work pretty well.

I have little use for fashion any longer and concentrate on function, utility and price. About forty years ago I bought a Columbia Quad-Parka at the factory store. It was originally for duck hunting but morphed into regular use for hunting, steelhead fishing and even at work. The main zipper is a two way that finally gave out this winter. I just ordered a woodland-camo Goretex parka (shell). a digital- camo Goretex parka (shell) and a Polartec fleece jacket rated at 16-68 degree comfort level. All are milsurp and new. Total with shipping was less than $275. We'll see.
    I bet you that Columbia was made in USA. I have a 30 year old Columbia Gor-Tex duck hunting jacket that's beautifully made and indestructible.

Friggin knuckledraggers......

probably prefers 9mm over .45 too!

kiddin

I use Sweet helmets too. Skiing and paddling.

where you located? That pic looks darn nice

I will say I think Patagonia stuff is darn good. They are nutjobs but their gear works and they have a stellar warranty.

I only have some of their old fleece and a pair of climbing pants left, but was never left wanting by their gear

Thank you all, lots of great suggestions, the columbia has treated me well and I forgot how much i used the layers until hearing the comments here. Arcteryx seems to be the consistent winner. Will look for a good shell and miss layer combo.

Columbia isnt very good unless you only plan on using it a few times. Patagonia 2 and 3 layer Gortex shells are great if you can get them for 25%-40% off towards the end of the season. Don’t waste your money on their lower end N20 2 layer stuff.

Buy once, cry once if money isn’t an issue: Arcteryx Sabre AR or Rush for a shell, Patagonia Nanopuff or nano air for mid and Arcteryx Sabre AR pants. I also swear by my Patagonia R1 as a light mid/heavy base.

The North Face Powder Flo pants are a decent 2-layer gortex. Burton also make really nice 2-layer gortex shell called the Radial for the money. I have one and it is not just for boarding. They usually have a cool Camo patern available.

Last edited:
    Deals can be had on Arcteryx stuff if you look. I bought a brand new set (still had tags) of Arcteryx LEAF Alpha top/bottoms for like $400 on eBay. Arcteryx often cleans out last years inventory at heavily discounted prices

I bet you that Columbia was made in USA. I have a 30 year old Columbia Gor-Tex duck hunting jacket that's beautifully made and indestructible.

The factory was about a mile or less from the factory store in St. Johns OR. I think at that time most everything was made there. The liner jacket was Thinsulate. The insulating Thinsulate product had only been on the market for about two years at the time I bought the parka. Whoever designed the parka was a serious outdoor guy. The hood is insulated and the jacket has a waist draw spring. Inside and outside pockets were designed by someone who has been in heavy winds, sideways rainfall, cold and simply shitty weather. They built a product with the best materials, the best designs and it was assembled by people who were proud of their work.

Unfortunatly, all things change. Lacrosse no longer makes and assembles boots in the US. Pendleton has become the darling of metro man. Many Carrhart products are assembled outside the country. Wranglers are assembled in Mexico though the fabric on 13MWZs is still US. Filson now designs products for the metro-logger market (they haven't introduced an oilcloth man-bun cover yet but I'm sure it's on the design table).

I'm just to f.....g old.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    north face. or whatever other brands they sell. If you can't find it there, then you are doing something wrong.

Bought from the favorite retailer around here REI.

reason being you can try it for as long as you like. and return that shit if it doesn't work out.

skiing is not simply being outside in the cold

I find it funny how the typical arcteryx, filson are always brought up. ain't not need to spend that kind of money.

I ski in my Kuiu super down top and bottom with rain gear over it. Super toasty and works great. Also get to use it hunting...
    May have been called the "Camo Comet" once or twice, but works for me.

1575343875715.png

BW, That's probably the woodland camo Goretex I bought from Sportsman's Guide. I hope Large is large enough. What layers were you using and of course what's the story on saving your life?

FYI, Patagonia and Arcteryx both have a lifetime warranty and they will repair your gear when you need it. This also covers used gear. I've bought a few of each brand's stuff off ebay/CL/offerup over the years and when repairs are needed you can take it into a retail store and they will ship it out for you. I had the stitching on my otherwise bombproof Arxteryx Beta SL jacket need to be restitched and they had it back to me in 6 weeks, good as new.

Klim. Meant for snowmobiling. It’s a little bulky and doesn’t have that apres ski chic but it’s the warmest gear I’ve worn and seals up tighter than a ducks ass. Expensive though.

I was an Arcteryx snob for years, actually bought a lot of stuff when it was still made in Canada.

Now it’s too damn expensive. High quality but cmon, are you really gonna tough out shit weather while skiing from a lift? No, they are gonna close down. If you are heli skiing then maybe you would see the benefit of a bombproof top of the line Arcteryx shell.

My new go to is Mammut. Damn nice shells, cheaper but still full of features and every bit as functional as Arcteryx for half the price. Buy a good wool base layer and different fill down puffy coat or vest and your golden

Reactions: Irish_11
    Patagonia or Arcteryx depending on your budget have always worked well for me.

I buy an outside shell that is Goretex and water repellent and then zip in a liner. That way the jacket can be worn in multiple climate zones..

I am super partial to Wool though and Filson makes some very nice wool coats that are super warm. I also have a Filson tin cloth coat with a removable wool liner that is impervious to water. That is an expensive option though.

^This

Patagonia, Acerteryx, STIO make very good mountain gear that will perform and will last a long time. Patagonia's Capilene is some of the best base layers out there. I have a Patagonia Cirque ski jacket that is al least 25 years old and still in relatively good condition. Filson wool clothing is very well made albeit expensive. Have a 35 yo Double Mackinaw Cruiser and pants that I bought for hunting in the Colorado mountains and never failed to keep me warm even in terrible conditions. A Tin Cloth Field Cost with liner kept me warm at 2 degrees Fahrenheit during a December pheasant hunt in SD.

^This

Patagonia, Acerteryx, STIO make very good mountain gear that will perform and will last a long time. Patagonia's Capilene is some of the best base layers out there. I have a Patagonia Cirque ski jacket that is al least 25 years old and still in relatively good condition. Filson wool clothing is very well made albeit expensive. Have a 35 yo Double Mackinaw Cruiser and pants that I bought for hunting in the Colorado mountains and never failed to keep me warm even in terrible conditions. A Tin Cloth Field Cost with liner kept me warm at 2 degrees Fahrenheit during a December pheasant hunt in SD.

Capiline-is that the stuff that sheds black stuff all over the place? Love Patagonia but I had to ditch their thermals because it left a mess everywhere :LOL:

I was an Arcteryx snob for years, actually bought a lot of stuff when it was still made in Canada.

Now it’s too damn expensive. High quality but cmon, are you really gonna tough out shit weather while skiing from a lift? No, they are gonna close down. If you are heli skiing then maybe you would see the benefit of a bombproof top of the line Arcteryx shell.

My new go to is Mammut. Damn nice shells, cheaper but still full of features and every bit as functional as Arcteryx for half the price. Buy a good wool base layer and different fill down puffy coat or vest and your golden

I still have a few pieces made in Canada too-Theta LT and a Beta SL. I have a LEAF Gen 1 jacket I think is made there too-epic garment.

Reactions: HayStax
    50% off right now. I'm a big fan of Eddie Bauer - they make extended sizes. Pataguici and the other big names don't make anything to fit 6'8" folks.

Options below are starters, there are other good products. LL Bean makes talls too, and equally good for basic ski / warm stuff. Both Bauer and Bean have lifetime guarantees, I've had garments replaced by both when needed.