• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing WOOD VS SYNTHETIC

BCJR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2006
S.E. AK.
SO I HAVE FRIENDS WHO GUIDE IN THE NW AND AK. SOME OF THEM SWEAR TO HAVE SEEN WOOD STOCKS SWELL FROM WET WEATHER AND CHANGE POI. MY QUESTION IS IF A STOCK IS BEDDED WITH MARINE TEX AND HAS PILLARS INSTALLED AS WELL AS SOME KIND OF OVERALL WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT ON THE STOCK SHOULDNT IT DO AS WELL AS SYNTHETIC IN BAD WEATHER?I AM NOSTALGIC FOR A WOOD STOCKED RIFLE AS I DONT OWN ONE ANYMORE . ANYONE EVER HAVE A WOOD STOCK GIVE THEM TROUBLE IN THIS REGARD? I GREW UP WITH WOOD STOCKS AND NEVER KNEW ANY BETTER THEN TO NOTICE A CHANGE IN POI , BUT MY SHOOTING HAS CHANGED TO FARTHER RANGES AND WOULD HAVE MAGNIFIED POI CHANGE AT THE RANGES I WILL HUNT THIS YEAR. JUST WONDER IF ANYONE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS HERE. THANKS

Re: WOOD VS SYNTHETIC

Turn off the caps lock.

Wood stocks should be fully sealed even in the barrel channel to prevent swelling. However, even with that treatment, you still might encounter POI changes with a wood stock in a humid environment. If it is going to be a real beater rifle, I personally would opt for synthetic. Just my .02.

Josh

I used a Weatherby Mark 5 in 340Wby with Leupold FXII 3x for over 30 years in Alaska, my main meat getter, never had a problem. I had 700 ADL 06 before that. Drug that Wby in canoes, airplanes, alders, devils club, mountains, all in Alaska. Kept it rubbed down in BreakFree, no rust, wood stock no change in POI. I sighted it in at the house before leaving and never really had much of a POI shift year to year, spring or fall hunt. It hovered around 1moa. Never worked on tightening things up, all I wanted was horsepower and pushed a 250gr Partition as fast as it would leave the barrel and stay at the 1moa factory target that came with it. As long as I had fur in the 3x, it hit close enough to kill.

Ya, over time wood will absorbe moisture and can move. Too many good shooting wooden stocked rifles out there to say never do it. If you want one, get one and dont wory about it.