• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woody's Designated Marksman Match Sponsored By DPMS October 25th Series Finale

Great job to everyone at "Woody's Match" this past weekend. It was a great weekend and I would like to thank those that allowed me to shoot by giving up their time to help with this event. The COF was fun and challenging and the competition was tough as always. I would like to thank "War Sport Industries" (War Sport) for the rifle they provided on the prize table. If anyone is interested in an amazing carbine, come to KMSC and I'll loan you this one to try. I think you'll be sold on it. Woody, thanks for you and your RO's hard work. These matches are a labor of love and I appreciate the opportunity to shoot. I'll be looking forward to the next one. Awesome shooting by Ryan Castle in 2nd and Dustin Morris in 3rd. Those guys never make it easy and you know when they are there, every stage counts.

I'd like to thank my sponsors, GA Precision, Bushnell, Bartlein, Manners Stocks, Berger Bullets, and Badger Ordanance for equipment I can put my full trust in. It does most of the work and I just try and not screw up the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a fun match. It's a nice piece of property and the MDs do a great job. I hope to make it down there for a precision rifle match this year but definitely next year.

Thanks Woody and RO's for donating your time and resources. Excellent match, fun and challenging course of fire. Hope to make it back next year. Keep it old school!!

Thank you to Accuracy International and Oakwood Controls for sponsoring the match!

Big thanks to the RO's and Woody and the gang. Match was fun and maybe you guys could throw some pistol in the DMM matches! That was great. See you guys at the next one.

Cheers,

Nutt

Thanks to all the shooters, sponsors and RO's for making our 1st national level match a success! The shooter feedback was appreciated and the overall comments on how much folks enjoyed the match make all the effort worth it

Woody and I hope to see you at our 1st DMM of 2015 on 5.3.14. The series looks to be another enhancement to a great match and DPMS has really stepped up strong as the title sponsor and others are also jumping in already

Scores are up on our web site and can be printed.

Time for a much needed nap

Awesome event guys, job well done. Major props to all of the RO's and everyone else that make these events happen, you guys and girls are awesome! Bunsen, keep it up with the pics bro (I guess I want to see that giant goose egg stage vid too haha)!

Sponsors, huge thank you! Accuracy International stepped up big putting mags in everyones hands and driving down to shoot with us. Also want to specifically thank US Optics for putting a scope up on the table, you guys are the best. Thanks to all of the other sponsors for putting stuff on the table and supporting these matches. Your support makes this sport grow and keeps it fun for everyone.

Glad to see some old faces, meet some new, and I hope to see you all again real soon at the next match!

Hope everyone had a safe trip home! Want to thank all the shooters who came from near and far to participate in our Precision Match. My sincere regrets to our RO's for not being able to finish this match. The hard work that you guys put into "ALL" of the matches down there is the reason why "Woody's" matches have been a success!
Want to thank all of our generous sponsors for all the great products placed in our shooters hands!
Again congratulations to Bryan Morgan for shooting a awesome match. 2nd place Ryan Castle and 3rd place Dustin Morris. As I was once told by a great man that winning is measured by the folks you surround yourself with. Not by where you place in the race. Learning and gaining what you can from those around you makes you a winner. Everyone that came out and shot good are bad in my book is a winner! Thank you all for a great weekend. Woody

Last edited:
Would I understand it better if I had?

Looking at the results is less than clear.

I'm trying to understand what I missed out on.

For example, why didn't 33 people finish?

Why did the winner have the highest score and the third place finisher have the lowest score?

The scoring method was never explained. I'm just trying to see if this is something I want to try.

I asked about this in the registration period and it was never explained.

It seems that some times were just plugged at 1. So what is the deal?

Shouldn't the scoring criteria be part of the match announcement?

Scoring is based on point value per hit. Most precision matches are. As most other shooting sports are also.

Please look where it says final score at top column / the third one from the left after name and division. Disregard the negative in front of those numbers, 3rd place scored 986 pts. Last place scored 176

33 people didn't finished. Was mentioned above your post where you asked about the scoring. RO's regrets for not finishing. Rained Sideways Friday with 20 mph winds while they were shooting. The others were no shows and a few got sick.Generally at any shooting sport there is 10% of folks that aren't scored. Ex: Disqualified, emergency,sick, etc.

And sorry if it was not explained to you but I or Dave didn't see anywhere you posted asking about scoring info. Only where you ask to restart the thread at the top of page 19.And he answered that post for you. And your two post on this page.

I see you are somewhere in NC?

It was open to the public and several folks came out that were interesting in shooting it as well as folks who have signed up for this coming weekend " Open Range Day". Great opportunity to understand since you mentioned you are curious about shooting.

Hope this was helpful.

I had a great time, huge thanks to Woody, Dave, and all of your RO's who ran things very well. Had a great time with my Squad, congrats to Army Dog on his 2nd place finish, Dave O on his 7th place finish great shooting guys!! Congrats to Bryan Morgan on your 1st place finish, awesome shooting! Also, got to hang with my friends Chad Peck, Jordan, Jim and Melissa Gilliland had a great time getting to hang with you guys. Got to see Craig from Oakwood Controls and finally get to see the machine in action, look forward to shooting and training with you again soon.

Wish that Woody's wasn't so far of a drive, I would come down for the 1 day events, I will have to try to make a few just to see what they are like, plus I think it would give me a good place to test out the OBR in one of the DDM matches. Thanks for a great event!

Awesome event guys, job well done. Major props to all of the RO's and everyone else that make these events happen, you guys and girls are awesome! Bunsen, keep it up with the pics bro (I guess I want to see that giant goose egg stage vid too haha)!

Sponsors, huge thank you! Accuracy International stepped up big putting mags in everyones hands and driving down to shoot with us. Also want to specifically thank US Optics for putting a scope up on the table, you guys are the best. Thanks to all of the other sponsors for putting stuff on the table and supporting these matches. Your support makes this sport grow and keeps it fun for everyone.

Glad to see some old faces, meet some new, and I hope to see you all again real soon at the next match!

Be careful what you wish for, I had forgotten to download it from the camera. You had excellent form and executed your plan well unfortunately the hits didn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ltpGj7c6w

Be careful what you wish for, I had forgotten to download it from the camera. You had excellent form and executed your plan well unfortunately the hits didn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6l...me on making wind calls. Thanks for the vid!

I had trouble on that stage as well. I only hit two. I heard the range was 20-30yd closer than the posted 600. Our squad was mostly hitting high. There was some wind out there as well.

That is so painful to watch because the position I built was rock solid! Looks like I need to spend more time on making wind calls. Thanks for the vid!

Lynn, I've learned by shooting 22LR out to 225yds from off those benches that the wind can swirl in some VERY weird ways along that treeline later in the day. You did build a very solid position. I wish I could have spent a bit more time watching that stage as it's always interesting to see how people tackle barricades.

this was my first match and I had a great time. I want to thank woody and all the ROs for the great stages. you all have a great facility. the best part about the weekend was though I was new and knew very few people at the match no one ever declined to help. I don't think I've ever seen a competition where one competitor will help another. somehow I ended up finishing 29th for the weekend. I was very pleased for this being my first match. To you others who have thought about competing my advise is to just do it. no one makes fun of you and everyone is there to help you.
SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL THE SPONSORS THE AWARDS TABLE WAS AWESOME.
Can't wait for K&M

Had a great time this weekend seeing old friends and making new ones. Big thank you to my sponsors Copper Creek, JP Enterprises and Precision Tactical Arms. Having gear you can trust in goes a long way. Congrats not only to the top shooters but everyone who got out in the cold mud. It is the people that make these events. Thank you to Woody and gang for a very fun match and beautiful property. I look forward to the next one.

Several sponsors stepped up big and they are worth your hard earned money. When looking to make you next purchase remember these guys

Accuracy International (5rd mag to every shooter) what a great idea
War Sport (2 ARs that are a work of art)
NightForce (F1 optic)
US Optics (1.8-10 optic)
GA Precision (Barrel and Barrel job)
Short Action Customs
DPMS
Oakwood Controls
Schmidt and Bender
Vortex
Thunder Beast
FNH
Bergara
manners
B&T Industries
Tactical Suppressed Weapons

I know there were more but that is what I could remember. Check out sponsor list for the complete list

S.Blanks sent you my phone # via pm if you want to get a scoring understanding.

Best bet is come to the 3.15.14 range day Woody suggested you will see some of the stages and can talk about real world plus you get rounds down range

I'd like to give a Big shout out and Thanks to Woody and Dave and their crew. Knowing well the kind of effort it takes to host a quality Precision Rifle Match and the hard work involved along with the dedication of the RO's. Kudos to all of you. I appreciate the hospitality and thoroughly enjoyed getting to shoot for a change.

Thank you to the sponsors for your continued support of our sport. We continue to be grateful for your support and commit our resources to making sure that it pays dividends for your businesses.

I sincerely hope to see many of you in May at K&M. I assure you we will do our very best to make you feel at home and have an enjoyable competition. If you aren't I'll be easy to find, so look me up and I'll do my best to make damn sure you leave with a smile!!!

Once again thanks for a very quality, enjoyable competition. Lord willing I'll be back next year!!

Well .......where do I start? Myself and the rest of the RO's were sad we didn't get to shoot the entire match. I had dreams of grandeur with the feel of a newly won rifle in hand, yet I realized it was mud in one hand and not sure what I had on my other hand. The rain, the wind, the mud became such a mutha that it became unsafe to finish and did I mention somewhat miserable. Oh well, we will shrug it off and look forward to the next match.

I had a great time and saw some really good shooters. The stages were great and challenging ---how about that boat ride? Just a little boat ride........

Sponsors were amazing for the wonderful gifts and prizes that were provided and some even came to shoot with us. I look forward to May for the DMM match. That said, gather your gear and I'll see you in May.

The Horse

5.3. 14 DMM Match is over 50% full so you may want to get registered upo soon as it is a series best of 3 results and the finale match prize table looks to be our biggest yet by far

Last edited:
5.3. 14 DMM Match is over 50% full so you may want to get registered upo soon as it is a series best of 3 results and the finale match prize table looks to be our biggest yet by far

Are the DMM matches individual or team matches?

Really looking forward to the 5/3 DMM. I regret I can't make it to the range day tomorrow, was looking forward to seeing you guys again. I didn't have the kinks worked out in my rig until today, and after today's trip to Conover the DPMS is showing it's true potential. Two thirds of the WNC Crew also worked out the kinks this afternoon. Birthdays and family matters have me tied to WNC, and the WNC Crew has been plagued with bad weather and bad timing on new gear testing for the past two months but I think today we made some breakthroughs.

We are curious about the pistol portions for DMM and have wondered if the pistol will be draw, shoot, dump or will we reholster? This may have been mentioned, and if it was I apologize.

Don't forget the 22TSC at Conover, we will start the second Saturday in April. Hope some of you guys get to come over and shoot with us.

JL

Woody, thanks again for opening up your place today to allow some of us to gather some data on our rifles. I know there's not a lot of places around to get out past 2-300 yards for most of us, so it was a huge help to see how my loads were working at a little further distance. I finally found that 6" plate at 600 with my 260 and proceeded to ruin your paint job.

I'm glad everyone had a good time Saturday at open range day. I too got some rifles dialed in that I have had on the back burner. Especially my 6 creedmoor I built a few months ago. It was nice to blast 4 shots and hit 4 eggs at 200 after I zeroed it.
Sorry I didn't get around much to chat. Although I have a place to stretch out its not always easy to just go down and shoot. Really enjoyed just. Backing up and pulling out the blasters with everyone on the hill yesterday!

Will be looking at some dates come up to do it again so folks can have a opportunity to shoot long range a few times a year.

I hope it's last place to first place then ill win something good. :p
I'd vote for that! First event we placed 2nd to last place..... 2nd event was 3rd to last.... if the streak holds the kiddo and I could still make the podium!!

Can't wait till May! Going to be fun. Got good gear and much improved skills this time round!

See you guys there!

KS

It's a good mix of both gas and bolt guns. You see both competing well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Do the DMM match mostly consist of gas guns or bolt.

In the 4 years or so it has been almost a 50/50 split with both platforms winning the match numerous times as well as some teams that are bolt/gas shooters combo's. Each platform has its advantages/disadvantages so it really comes don to the shooter

I won't shoot a bolt gun during a DMM unless something is wrong with my gasser. Bunsen on here is almost the opposite and always runs a bolt gun.

Either way you have to be able to build a position, hit a target and transition quickly.

Ok thanks. I assume that in is not 308 only match. Can I run a 260.

I won't shoot a bolt gun during a DMM unless something is wrong with my gasser. Bunsen on here is almost the opposite and always runs a bolt gun.

Either way you have to be able to build a position, hit a target and transition quickly.

You can run anything up to .300Win Mag or WSM IIRC. Lots of folks run .260Rem, 6.5 Creedy, 6 Creedy, .243Win, .308Win, and .223Rem. As for the gasser versus bolt thinking my fundamental reasoning for running a bolt is that you cannot miss fast enough. I'd break a questionable shot knowing I'd have another one to send in about a second. That's not a rifle issue, but a shooter discipline issue. In my experience when that shot timer starts often enough your brain does some funny stuff you don't always want it to. Running a bolt gun helps me slow down mentally and with some of the more challenging shooting positions. :)

Ok thanks. I assume that in is not 308 only match. Can I run a 260.

Absoloutely you can run 260. Go here and review FAQ/Rules FAQ | Woody's Rifle and Hunting Club

I like Bunsen prefer a bolt gun for the same reason and Woody prefers a Gas gun so even the match directors chose different tools for the same job

Hope to see you at the match

Last edited:
Are there many singles that show up? I want to shoot, just don't have a partner. Maybe I need to put a personals ad out for a shooting partner. Haha. If anyone is looking for a partner, send me a pm or something. This sounds like a great event and a lot of fun.

Are there many singles that show up? I want to shoot, just don't have a partner. Maybe I need to put a personals ad out for a shooting partner. Haha. If anyone is looking for a partner, send me a pm or something. This sounds like a great event and a lot of fun.
Not a lot of singles just show up, but things happen... that's life.

Where are you coming from? My son may or may not shoot based on his grades which he just barely dragged out of the cellar this semester. If he puts it in the tank again, he'll miss shooting the DMM. He'll attend... but won't be pulling the trigger. It'd be short notice, but nothing like the day before kind of thing. PM me if your interested.

If your close, I'd still attend, even if not competing. I learned a lot by watching one (needed gear, tricks for different positions....).

Hope to see you there!

Ken

Contact Branson the MD he may know someone. I did the same thing as you.