• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Woot! Woot! just reloaded my first ever Ammo! pics

LMH777

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2009
Indiana
I've been lurking around here heavily for the last three months and want to say thanks for all the information i've gleaned

Just finished loading up 30 rounds of 30-06 ammo on my new Hornady Lock and Load AP.. COL calls for 3.240, most all of mine range from 3.236 to 3.242.. that ok do you reckon?

I ran it like a single stage and will continue to do so until I gain some proficiency..

I'm tired and have the ammo and label out in the garage: Hornady 168 grain JHBT winchester primer, winchester brass and 49 grains of IMR 4064?? can't recall on the powder I had several options, but have it listed correctly on the label..

Going to the range tomorrow and see how she shoots!! cranked one off into a pile of dirt behind the house (4 wheeler jump) just to make sure they would go bang.. Went bang and no sticky bolt or any signs of pressure issues on the case.. I will post some pic's tomorrow and maybe a target unless I suck... Been shooting factory ammo and she's very particular, best so far is 2750 fps PSP winchester factory.. Hates the hotter stuff with the premium bullets..

I figure i've got about $1800 wrapped up in 30 rounds at this minute..

Shazam, that's expensive

have a good night

LH

DigitalCampics047.jpg

DigitalCampics048.jpg

DigitalCampics049.jpg

DigitalCampics051.jpg

DigitalCampics052.jpg

DigitalCampics053.jpg

DigitalCampics054.jpg

DigitalCampics055.jpg

Re: Woot! Woot! just reloaded my first ever Ammo!

Welcome to the insanity , I just finished loading 1000 rounds of .223 on a single stage Rockchucker press thats older than I am . Sizing , trimming , deburring flash hole , priming , charging with powder and finally topping it off with a bullet . Thankfully my 10 year old daughter likes to help the old man out .

Next time though I am going to my buddies and using his Dillon 650 .

You will learn to enjoy it (or so I am told anyway) .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LMH777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've been lurking around here heavily for the last three months and want to say thanks for all the information i've gleaned

Just finished loading up 30 rounds of 30-06 ammo on my new Hornady Lock and Load AP.. COL calls for 3.240, most all of mine range from 3.236 to 3.242.. that ok do you reckon?

I ran it like a single stage and will continue to do so until I gain some proficiency..

I'm tired and have the ammo and label out in the garage: Hornady 168 grain JHBT winchester primer, winchester brass and 49 grains of IMR 4064?? can't recall on the powder I had several options, but have it listed correctly on the label..

Going to the range tomorrow and see how she shoots!! cranked one off into a pile of dirt behind the house (4 wheeler jump) just to make sure they would go bang.. Went bang and no sticky bolt or any signs of pressure issues on the case.. I will post some pic's tomorrow and maybe a target unless I suck... Been shooting factory ammo and she's very particular, best so far is 2750 fps PSP winchester factory.. Hates the hotter stuff with the premium bullets..

Shazam, that's expensive

have a good night

LH</div></div>
Wow only $1,800 that is pretty cheap! I think I have about $2,500 in just my .50 stuff.
DSC07463.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Congrats on your first time loading and above all else take your time and make it fun. I have such a relaxed intensity when I reload it is like a deep tissue massage hurts so good.
smile.gif

gratz on your 1st reloading (tryout) lol the test come when you go to the range.

shoot straight
Howdy

Good job!! Don't get frustrated if you don't get the accuracy you're looking for on the first try. It must have taken me 50 different combinations to find the one my rifle likes. You might get lucky, ya never know.
As far as the differences in OAL, don't worry too much. You are finding the differences in bullet length (projectile). Get a bullet comparator and you will see what I mean. Measure a few projectiles, base to tip and you will see the difference. Sinclair International has them for pretty cheap. Good luck!!

Thanks all, i'm going to load up some 180 grain SMK's also and see if she likes the heavier bullet any better...

appreciate the feedback! I will post some pics later

LH

You poor Bastard.
This problem you have will most certainly not go away.
I haven't found a cure so far.
Good luck with the new gear!
Be safe and be sure to read as much as you can in manuals and the like.

"most all of mine range from 3.236 to 3.242.. that ok do you reckon?"

Reckon so. It's fine, really.

Book OAL is no more a "law" than the range of powder charges they list. It's just the length they used to develope the info, your rifle ain't theirs so you may need a different OAL.

I loaded up about 500 rounds of 9 mil last night. A couple days ago I loaded a few hundred 308 subsonic loads. When I am finished with the 9 mil, and I will switch the press over to 45 acp and load up another 800 rounds or so. Then its on to the 5.56

Some people watch TV at night, I reload
smile.gif

A word of advice.... keep enough componets on hand for several years worth of shooting. You will use it, and the prices for primers etc... dont go down.

There is no cure for this disease! It's like Aids, it gets worse as time goes on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people watch TV at night, I reload
smile.gif

A word of advice.... keep enough componets on hand for several years worth of shooting. You will use it, and the prices for primers etc... dont go down. </div></div>
Yes on both!!!

K very pleasantly surprised

50 grains of IMR 4064 with JHBT Hornady 168 gr shot pretty well

velocities were less than the book, averaged 2730 fps with about a 40 fps variable.. Not premium ammo, but i'm pleased for my first time

decent group at 100 yds, factory rem 700 mtn rifle in 30-06, only work done is a trigger job and brake..

now I just have to put glass on the 300 win mag 700 custom shop that is in the safe.. next week or so i'll report on the 300 win mag..

wanted to figure things out with my 06..

thanks

LH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LMH777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shazam, that's expensive

have a good night

LH</div></div>
Wow only $1,800 that is pretty cheap! I think I have about $2,500 in just my .50 stuff.
DSC07463.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Congrats on your first time loading and above all else take your time and make it fun. I have such a relaxed intensity when I reload it is like a deep tissue massage hurts so good.
smile.gif
</div></div>

What kind of press is that? It looks like it belongs in a machine shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What kind of press is that? It looks like it belongs in a machine shop. </div></div>

It IS a machine shop...all on its own.

Yup a Hollywood it is. Kind of the Holy grail of presses. I had to give my left kidney for it. Yes they are pretty hard to get as Joe does not make many of them at a time. He is a one man operation. The dies on the top are CH4D's and since I was able to at the time (inside connection) I got every possible part he offers. Adapter for quick change shell holder, adapter for small (uh? 7/8) dies turret bar takes all flex possible out of press when doing .50 and 20mm. Not needed when using small stuff like .408 or .338LM zero run out. Also picked up an inline seater die that is slick as snot. You put the projo in the side of the die above the die plate. The turret does spin so you have a semi automated press although when loading .50 I just switch dies.