• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors WTF : Why are OTF autos sooooo dangerous????

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    okay, I really like the microtech auto knives. But I can't understand why these things are considered taboo and illegal to own in most places. My point is that my daily carry knife is a simple Beretta logo'd Bill Harsey. Looks very similar to his T-1. Anyway, its small but the blade is comparable to a microtech daytona. Legal, no problems even here in Jersey. In fact the Harsey blade is much thicker. No spring assist just a thumb stud and I can open that sucker just as fast as a blade shooting out the front on an auto. So why in the hell can't I own the Microtech otf. For once its just not a red state blue state thing, its everywhere. Can someone please bring me up to speed about autos.
    thanks

Re: WTF : Why are OTF autos sooooo dangerous????

Prolly something to do with the 1958 Fed Switchblade Act...
    wink.gif

Right, but why was there even an act against it? They are no more dangerous than any pocket knife?

Ya'...it's a buncho boo-shit. I had a Halo III, It was hardcore and was my favorite knife. Noone would know it was an auto unless they seen it open and only a select few were allowed to see that. I ended up selling it.

I think it's bullshit, too. I'm in Philly right now and I can carry a gun...but ALL knives are outlawed from what I understand.

Imagine that shit.

more people get stabbed by an average kitchen knife than anything else.what difference does it make how i stab you( fixed,folder,assited,auto)youve been stabbed. it is an antiquated law at best. get what you want and enjoy. you will love the microtechs. if you have a ccw permit i wouldnt worry.

In the academy, I asked the same question. The instructor said that the laws are on the books bc switchblades got a bad wrap in the 50's with the "greaser" crowd and the laws were basically a kneejerk reaction.

My daily carry is a Boker Auto or the evil switchblade. Legal in here in Az and have a couple of other autos but use the boker 99% of the time.

I heard the same thing Will. Apparently, assist opened knives are evil too. My local knife store said basically if this happens he will be hurting big time because they make up such a big chunk of his business.

In Alaska you can carry a concealed handgun just about anywhere. It's a felony to carry any auto opening or gravity assisted knife. Don't get caught flipping your side opener!

Switchblades are movie cool. Practically, they suck. Folders suck. A nice small blade utility on the belt(appendix carry osistion) is about the fastest there is. ANd yes, I carried a switch knife and assisted openers long enough to know what works best and fastest. If it folds, it sucks.

If the question is "why are Out The Front auto knives considered more dangerous than standard "swing" autos?" then there is more.

OTF knives have the advantage of not requiring any special hands placement during activation (swing autos require the hand to be away from arch path of the blades). They also also very fast deployment AND closure (again, hand placement or the use of two hands are not required). But they DO have one particularly nasty and dangerous potential liability, in the absence of a positive "safety" or weakening pressure slide, they can open without interference in your pocket. When they do, there is nothing to stop the blade (almost always double edged) to simply extented and potentially pierce.

In the vast majority of OTF knives, it is the ADDITIONAL force provided by the thumb switch that overtakes the balanced spring extension/retraction of the blade. In other words, your thumb's pressure (pressure considerably above the typical "button" swing Switch blade) IS the safety. As OTF age some models can fire if you hit the button, say on furniture as you are running through debris. Out comes the blade, no swing arch that could be blocked in a pocket...nope..straight out into whatever is in front of the OTF. They are great knives, requiring considerably more engineering and better materials. The blade strength in a great design is very good, but not as good long term as a standard folder (or auto) with the typical rotational axis points are.

Lastly, there is a bill working its way through right now that will make "assisted opening" knives (not autos, but rather the now quite typical partial assist type) a felony. A majority of these blades are imported. http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more people get stabbed by an average kitchen knife than anything else.what difference does it make how i stab you( fixed,folder,assited,auto)youve been stabbed. it is an antiquated law at best. get what you want and enjoy. you will love the microtechs. if you have a ccw permit i wouldnt worry. </div></div>

In many states, a kitchen knife is not legal to carry on your person in public, especially butchers knives. Inmany Southern States, because of the Bowie's legacy, anything resembling one remotely isn't allowed, either. This is often why we get strange sizes like "5.5 max in TX" etc, many believed a Bowie started at 6" in length.

Probably because when the law was enacted the typical side opening knife did not really exist.

You had the simple buck type folders that took two hands to open. No one was making swing lock or spring assisted knives, no one was making knives with thumb studs you could flick open. If they had been you can bet that they would be on the list too.

That said, many states have laws against gravity operated or assisted knives, and spring assisted knives, not just switchblades. That means if you can "flick" your knife open it can be lumped into the gravity opening knives. The same is true for butterfly knives, most states have restrictions on those, yet they take longer to open and use than any other knife.

Frankly I see no purpose to a OTF knife, they are weaker, no faster to implement than a fixed blade or most thumb stud folders, their internals wear quickly, and they are overpriced. Also if they don't have a lock on them, I've seen more than one open when the user didn't want it to. The only factor they have going for them is the tacti-cool factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the academy, I asked the same question. The instructor said that the laws are on the books bc switchblades got a bad wrap in the 50's with the "greaser" crowd and the laws were basically a kneejerk reaction.

</div></div>

3/4s of our laws.

Fuck it. Outlaw it. I'll wear a fucking fixed blade on my side all Crocodile Dundee style...

I live in OR, and could buy any auto out there, but they just don't do it for me. I almost pulled the trigger on a Benchmade Infidel just because of the cool factor, but practically speaking I'd rather have my Benchmade folder (which I can have open pretty much as fast). You can own them and carry them here, they just can't be "concealed". In the end I just couldn't justify the price of the Infidel.

I really think it comes down to the media. We love to see movies,show, & etc... with the guns, knives, martial arts and such. Then the lame tend to believe in what they see on the silver screen. Next thing you know, we have real world laws telling us "this is illegal". We create and make our on fears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Freddy J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Alaska you can carry a concealed handgun just about anywhere. It's a felony to carry any auto opening or gravity assisted knife. Don't get caught flipping your side opener! </div></div>

Class A misdemeanor, and only if you manufacture, transfer, or sell a gravity knife or switchblade. AS 11.61.210(a)(4) says nothing about possession.

In Montana it is illegal to carry but legal to collect. Usually best to send a letter to the country sheriff notifying him of your intention to have a knife collection.
    As I understand it...

Cool knives, I don't need one and have no intention to carry one. Only because of price since they are a taboo thing.