• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories WTS: RARE Genuine Imported HDPE Walmart Plastic Bag!

I think I’ve sent all requested PMs. If you’ve pinged me or anything and I haven’t responded, let me know.

T-24 hours. Packing frenzy begins. 6 checked bags with >400 pounds of Christmas goodies.

Ho! Ho! Ho! Horta Claus.:D

Oh yeah, and it wouldn’t happen nearly to this extent without my Hide Brothers! Love to y’all!

Now over $4K... and counting!!!:love:

533BC64D-14D6-422F-AE3F-8EDADFCCB211.jpeg

Got a Raptar ES rangefinder listed in classifieds, $400 of that sale will go to Horta's fund. If the funds are not able to be used this trip they can go towards the next trip.

Great thing you are doing Sir.

Over $5K... and counting.

Got news that they may be taking in 3 new kids. Their mom died about 5 years ago and the father just passed last week. His "new" wife does not want the children. They are teenagers, so not little munchkins.

Don’t know TheHorta, never even talked to him before. But I’m all for supporting a good cause with a member that does as much for SH as TheHorta.

ATN Thor HD 1-10 640 core thermal scope, comes with original box, battery pack and stock pouch for the battery pack.

$2000 shipped ($300 to TheHorta $1700 to myself)

Just found this! Is it too late to get in on this? I'd like to donate! PM PP info if possible or add it for the next trip?

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta
I want to make a prepayment for next years bag. If possible send me a pm and I’ll get the money in the mail as soon as possible. (So the payment can be used for this years Christmas.)

• Love
DISCLAIMERI recommend reading this entire post. :giggle:

Be the only one in America to own this bag. A true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This is not one of those “biodegradeable” Enviro-Nazi bags. No sir! This bag will survive intact buried in the ground for decades... guaranteed! It has all original markings and is 100% certified authentic. Used for less than 2 hours, there is not a more pristine version on earth.

This bag would make an ideal stocking stuffer for a suicidal friend. Nothing says “I love you” more than a versatile gift. Draw a Happy Face on it and it’ll also serve as a burial face clothe to remember him by! The uses are endless.

View attachment 7501423
View attachment 7501424
View attachment 7501425

I know what you’re thinking: TheHorta’s gone insane! This thing is priceless! How could he possibly let it go? What price could possibly be attached to such a treasure?

^^^^^JOKING ENDS HERE^^^^^

Well, dear fellow putrid effluvium of the Hide, you see — Uncle Horta is boarding a plane to Kenya this Friday to go see little boys and girls that Santa has forgotten about. In fact, the whole world has forgotten about them. In a little town outside of Kitale sits an orphanage that is also a school, where over 20 little kiddies without mommys and daddys eek out an existence. Auntie and Uncle Horta are going there to spend Christmas with them, and we’re bringing everything we can carry (and the airline will allow) to help brighten their Christmas just a little bit. We’re also bringing as much money as we can to help make improvements to their mud-brick home and school that has no windows or doors, and to get them all thin mattresses to sleep on and doxycycline to treat a year’s worth of malaria for each child.

So... what is Horta saying?

If you buy this bag, every penny will go toward this endeavor. I’ll text you photos of grateful little snot-nosed kiddies (seriously, their noses are always snotty) and the environs that we’re seeking to improve. Last year we were able to get them some land to plant corn which they used to help live on, and a milking goat, and a water pump and pipe. This year we hope to do even more, and do it on Christmas. This is a strictly personal thing, not as part of any organization. We’re not a 501c3 or any such thing. This is just a thing where literally every dollar gets used. We cover all of our own expenses, and we’re very cautious about how these things get doled out.

So, what say ye? Anyone need a bag?

P.S. There’s a secret irony to selling a plastic bag in a bid to help Kenyan orphans.;)

Yer pal,
TheHorta

Some of “our” kids...

View attachment 7501466
View attachment 7501469
View attachment 7501476
View attachment 7501485
Late to the party. Please shoot me payment info. If you can’t apply it to this year’s trip, use it for next year’s. May God bless everyone of you who donated to such a great cause. Feel fortunate to be a part of such an awesome community.

Just made it to our hotel in Nairobi. 30 hours of non-stop travel and mask wearing. :mad:

All 400 pounds of luggage made it intact and relatively unmolested.

Christmas Kibbles for the Kiddies is a great way to end an otherwise crappy 2020.

The poverty here, even in Nairobi, is astonishing and overwhelming. The “slums” seem to go on for infinity — mile after mile after mile, nothing but abject poverty. It’s even worse in the more rural areas.

They shred dead tires by hand and sell small buckets filled with chunks of rubber to the poor so they can COOK! Yeah, they cook their food over toxic rubber flames... because that’s all they can afford.
BEAB20E7-F900-457A-A65F-23BA90523A42.jpeg

Little known fact about Uncle Horta — I’m also a Christian preacher (no joke — non-denominational Bible thumper and Jesus super-freak and all-around poor example of what a Christian should be, but I’m trying!)

Today I was asked to give a sermon at a small church in the poorest, filthiest section of the city. The tin shack (just one in a line of 1,000’s of similar, interconnected shacks — how they distinguish between them I have no clue) abutts an open sewage runoff and where they also dump their trash. The stench is putrid and vomit-inducing and I wallowed in it with the congregants for hours, doing my best to ignore it. Note the stray dog, who just wanted to be loved (like the rest of the poor in Kenya).
93742FD5-C32B-42A8-97ED-C6F28FE09DEE.jpeg

The scope of the problem is overwhelming and depressing. At every stoplight the poor, some amputees in wheelchairs, some little children, run up to the car just looking for some loose change.

What YOUR money is doing:

So, instead of lavishing a single school/orphanage with all the riches, we decided to see if others could be helped as well. Another orphanage, about an hour away, where a widow, probably in her 60’s, takes in and cares for about 20-25 kids of various ages. We went to a “supermarket” in downtown Kitale and spent 50,000Ksh (just shy of $500) on enough food to feed them all well for at least a month. We didn’t buy just basic necessities. We also spoiled them a bit and bought boxes of chocolate chip cookies, bars of soap (50 cents each), toothbrushes and toothpaste, other sweets, on top of the basic staple foodstuffs. We created quite a scene at the market with four large shopping carts chock-full.

94EF6E13-34A5-41E1-A19B-B0B402AFC26A.jpeg

73C773D4-88A8-43E3-89AD-4FE121366FE3.jpeg

(I don’t know why this forum refuses to properly orient my portrait photos when posting from my iPhone)

Today we take delivery of goats. Trying to get them things that will perpetually produce an ROI.

Last edited:
There’s this one little kid, Sammy, who creates stuff from garbage. They’re all amazing, but Sammy is flippin’ off-the-charts smart. He sees the root of any problem instantly and figures a solution before most of us have figured out the problem. He’s a lovely, mild mannered, highly disciplined 12 year old. Absolutely embarasses any American kid I’ve ever met. The fact that American kids are given so much and with it, do so little, while the kids here have nothing, and from nothing they accomplish everything!

Sammy fashioned this wire truck, complete with steering he can contol from his “push stick” is damn frickin’ mind blowing!

Behold, Sammy and his ZEV truck! Under different circumstances, this kid could be the next Elon Musk!

F69F25E9-BB70-4137-AE74-4965789302C1.jpeg

52AB0FF7-1D8D-4CB0-B785-45CEAFE55B39.jpeg

The kids live for selfies and try to outdo one another with goofy faces. But they smother you in love and just want to lean, hang, and sit on you.
7A313512-A098-46E4-A860-730CD0BFE47D.jpeg

They’re all fatherless and motherless. They have SO much love in their hearts to give built up and ready to explode. Just the slightest amount of interest and affection thrown their way is like lighting a fuse. They’re like parched, dry sponges that soak up affection like the Sahara does a freak thunderstorm.

Such amazing creatures. So perfect, and so undeserving of their lot in life.

Last edited:
I would love to come with you next time and take my kid. I think more people need to have their eyes opened by an experience like this. Take care and keep up the great work.

I would love to come with you next time and take my kid. I think more people need to have their eyes opened by an experience like this. Take care and keep up the great work.

Let’s make it hap’n, Cap’n!

The kids live for selfies and try to outdo one another with goofy faces. But they smother you in love and just want to lean, hang, and sit on you.
View attachment 7511241

They’re all fatherless and motherless. They have SO much love in their hearts to give built up and ready to explode. Just the slightest amount of interest and affection thrown their way is like lighting a fuse. They’re like parched, dry sponges that soak up affection like the Sahara does a freak thunderstorm.

Such amazing creatures. So perfect, and so undeserving of their lot in life.

I’ve spend a good portion of my young adult hood all over Africa... I can say it is truly a humbling experience, highlighting the grace and mercy in our lives. It’s sad to see Gods children in those conditions and am thankful you have found an impactful way to support them. It’s a gamble with the overflowing governmental corruption that plagues most of the land.

Thank you for what you do, I’d love to support in any way I can and keep up the good fight.

Reed

• Love
I’ve spend a good portion of my young adult hood all over Africa... I can say it is truly a humbling experience, highlighting the grace and mercy in our lives. It’s sad to see Gods children in those conditions and am thankful you have found an impactful way to support them. It’s a gamble with the overflowing governmental corruption that plagues most of the land.

Thank you for what you do, I’d love to support in any way I can and keep up the good fight.

Reed

Truer words...

You can watch all of the documentaries, see all the aid commercials, read all about it, see all the photos, and gain a measure of sympathy. Being here, immersed in it, even for a short time, Is the difference between watching a stunning sunset on TV and seeing the real thing first-hand. You can get a feel for it on TV, but the full life-altering experience can’t be artificially created. But, at the end of the day, 99% of us will never leave our comfort zone. We rationalize reasons why we can’t, but that’s really what it is — rational lies.

This isn’t an indictment, just a reality. The impact those who contributed to this trip are having is real and VERY deep. Every. Single. Penny. of your collective generosity has and is going directly to those who need it. We’re trying to be wise stewards with your money and take that confidence with the utmost seriousness. Where we are, the average Kenyan family lives on less than $100/month. Many supplement their needs with crops and/or livestock of some form, but more still have no land.

Every single family is touched by death — and not in the same way we’re accustomed to. Most families have 4-6 children. It is very UNcommon to have a family who has not lost at least one child before age 10. In many, if not most, families, the father typically abandons the wife and children and will never communicate with any of them again. It is not unusual for the average Kenyan “man” to do this 3-4 times in his life — spreading his seed, hopping from one flower to another like a bee, leaving behind one impoverished family after another. This cycle continues in the kids and on it goes. The woman, who is still very much a second-class citizen in rural Kenya, is uneducated, unskilled, and has few prospects to provide for her children, so she works herself to death — literally — to provide a single meal per day for her children. Single mothers, which seem to be all there are around here, die very young. They can’t afford healthcare, even though a visit to the local “clinic” and “doctor” only costs $20-30 to get the checkup, diagnosis, and prescribed medications. She doesn’t have the money, gets malaria or one of ten thousand other life threatening things, and dies.

BAM! Orphans.

That’s where we come in, and why we’re here.

One of the many local medical clinics. This is one of the nicer ones:

5C0251DD-638C-4A78-BF37-E073C28D9451.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the makings of a construction crew for your next visit if that would be beneficial. General contractor/carpenter/handyman/jobsitebitch available if I’d be of service.