• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories WTS: RARE Genuine Imported HDPE Walmart Plastic Bag!

Damn guys. What a frickin’ Christmas.

I’m all about action, so we should definitely start to hash this out in more detail after we’re back stateside. Fares and logistics will be easier to plan as far in advance as possible, not to mention coordinating schedules, etc.

This could be E.P.I.C.

Y’all are a real credit to the Hide and the entire community.

So, Sammy hangs with me where ever I go. I’m in love with this kid. His dad abandoned him and his mom 5-6 years ago, never to be heard from again. His mom died 2 years ago. He loves it here, but if we could, he’d be on the plane with us back to America — and he’d love to go. Unfortunately, Kenyan law makes it all but impossible for foreigners to adopt. Yeah, they’d rather see them remain orphans in Kenya with zero chance of breaking the cycle than allow them to leave the country. Forgive my French, but that is so completely beyond fucked up that it makes my head explode.

Another thing happened that has me both furious and in a quandry. About 20 people from Turkana province came for here Christmas. Among them is a married couple. They have been married for 7 months and she’s probably 3-4 months pregnant. A cute little thing. Turkana is as tribal and “old school” as it gets in Kenya. They still live by a totally fucked-up code where an old man can give some poor family a few cows for their daughter(s). In this case this is a 40-something “man” and his 15-year-old pregnant “wife.” She so clearly is a hostage in this “marriage” but her culture gives her no way out. My wife asked her how old she was and how she came to be married and she instantly broke down.

I know I can’t really intervene and should stay out of their business, but I tell you right now, I’m the biggest pacifist you’ll ever meet, and that’s no joke, but I wanna canoe this MFer’s head, because this girl is trapped and walks around shellshocked all day.

So, Sammy hangs with me where ever I go. I’m in love with this kid. His dad abandoned him and his mom 5-6 years ago, never to be heard from again. His mom died 2 years ago. He loves it here, but if we could, he’d be on the plane with us back to America — and he’d love to go. Unfortunately, Kenyan law makes it all but impossible for foreigners to adopt. Yeah, they’d rather see them remain orphans in Kenya with zero chance of breaking the cycle than allow them to leave the country. Forgive my French, but that is so completely beyond fucked up that it makes my head explode.

Another thing happened that has me both furious and in a quandry. About 20 people from Turkana province came for here Christmas. Among them is a married couple. They have been married for 7 months and she’s probably 3-4 months pregnant. A cute little thing. Turkana is as tribal and “old school” as it gets in Kenya. They still live by a totally fucked-up code where an old man can give some poor family a few cows for their daughter(s). In this case this is a 40-something “man” and his 15-year-old pregnant “wife.” She so clearly is a hostage in this “marriage” but her culture gives her no way out. My wife asked her how old she was and how she came to be married and she instantly broke down.

I know I can’t really intervene and should stay out of their business, but I tell you right now, I’m the biggest pacifist you’ll ever meet, and that’s no joke, but I wanna canoe this MFer’s head, because this girl is trapped and walks around shellshocked all day.

There was sound reason why Cortes killed the Aztecs, we should not mourn their passing.

But.....

We live in a kinder gentler age where we value present day barbarians and tear down an enlightened country for its past.

You are on the Dark Continent........bring it light where you can.

Dang.

Pics shared with my 8 yr old.
Her Christmas was slimmer this year based on giving more to others, and she gave from her own piggybank freely too.
And we all need reminders as to how blessed we are.

We have been praying for your trip and will continue.

Its a tough struggle between exacting revenge on those we feel deserve it like the “husband” and being mad about laws that keep kids tied up in poverty with no family around.
I get it.

Hey Horta- if it’s not too late to help out this year, please PM me your PayPal info. I really appreciate what you are doing.

I say we do what we can do individually starting now for next year. I think between all of us we could really make a difference. Horta you are one awesome Dude!
The good Lord has your name written on the palm of his right hand.

Reactions: BGE541
I say we do what we can do individually starting now for next year. I think between all of us we could really make a difference. Horta you are one awesome Dude!
The good Lord has your name written on the palm of his right hand.
Is that the hand he rubbs his dick with?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

MINI UPDATE:

Will post photos later, but YOUR $$$ have bought a LARGE supply of Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test (RDT) kits along with enough Malarone, Chloroquine, and Doxycycline to treat at least 50 cases and 500 tabs of prescription Malarone, which is one of the best prophylactic treatments for Malaria.

The RDTs and having the meds on-hand mean they can immediately diagnose and start treatment without having to wait to get to a doctor and then go fill a prescription, a process that can chew-up valuable time, especially in children, and they don’t have to worry about having cash necessary to pay for a taxi, doctor, and prescriptions.

We have made “friends” with a local “Chemist” (pharmacist) in the nearest city (Kitale). It’s an immigrant Indian family (many businesses here are owned/run by Indians). You can count the number of white people here on one hand. It’s rare to bump into another one around here. Kitale is a decent sized city — maybe 50K population — and is a hub in/out of Uganda.

There are many benefits (and detriments) to being white here. One benefit is Chemists just hand you any prescription medication you want without question, as long as you look/act the part. Drugs are cheap here. We bought enough Malarone to treat a small army for little more than the cost of our single-prescription co-pay.

All totaled, we bought about $1K worth of RDTs and a variety of prescription meds that are relatively easy to diagnose and prescribe by neophytes like us (American doctors syncope here:LOL:). I have my EMT-B and have exhaustively researched every medication we bought, as well as consulted with my PCP at home (a good friend), so this is a little more than ad hoc medicine.

You can’t overstate the potential life-saving value of having this resource.

This is what YOU GUYS have done!

This is from one of our previous trips. We bought many more mattresses this trip, 30 in all, so the kids don’t have to sleep on the bare floor. We also bought blankets and school uniforms (mandatory, and around $20/ea). I didn’t think to take a photo this time around.

1609235362134.jpeg

Last edited:
MINI UPDATE:

Will post photos later, but YOUR $$$ have bought a LARGE supply of Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test (RDT) kits along with enough Malarone, Chloroquine, and Doxycycline to treat at least 50 cases and 500 tabs of prescription Malarone, which is one of the best prophylactic treatments for Malaria.

The RDTs and having the meds on-hand mean they can immediately diagnose and start treatment without having to wait to get to a doctor and then go fill a prescription, a process that can chew-up valuable time, especially in children, and they don’t have to worry about having cash necessary to pay for a taxi, doctor, and prescriptions.

We have made “friends” with a local “Chemist” (pharmacist) in the nearest city (Kitale). It’s an immigrant Indian family (many businesses here are owned/run by Indians). You can count the number of white people here on one hand. It’s rare to bump into another one around here. Kitale is a decent sized city — maybe 50K population — and is a hub in/out of Uganda.

There are many benefits (and detriments) to being white here. One benefit is Chemists just hand you any prescription medication you want without question, as long as you look/act the part. Drugs are cheap here. We bought enough Malarone to treat a small army for little more than the cost of our single-prescription co-pay.

All totaled, we bought about $1K worth of RDTs and a variety of prescription meds that are relatively easy to diagnose and prescribe by neophytes like us (American doctors syncope here:LOL:). I have my EMT-B and have exhaustively researched every medication we bought, as well as consulted with my PCP at home (a good friend), so this is a little more than ad hoc medicine.

If but for Rachel Carson a bit of DDT would eliminate the need for so much malaria prevention.

Have a feeling deep inside Rachel liked hawks better than people of color.......ie she was your typical Margaret Sanger communist.

Reactions: TheHorta
MINI UPDATE:

If but for Rachel Carson a bit of DDT would eliminate the need for so much malaria prevention.

Have a feeling deep inside Rachel liked hawks better than people of color.......ie she was your typical Margaret Sanger communist.

I don’t know the reason for uniforms over there, but but studies have conclusively shown that when uniforms are required, student performance is significantly higher.

All schools, public and private, at all ages/grades require them. Most kids out here can only afford one uniform, so they wear the same one all year. It’s also a mini profit center for the schools.

No uniform, no admittance.

Since the kids range from infant to 18, they go to many different schools, requiring about 6-7 different uniforms in different sizes. You can’t try them on. You get them, try them on at home, and go back to swap if a different size is needed.

A few kids (patches will be sewn on after sizing).

BE9692EA-6B89-4812-A18E-03CCFAC5B3D7.jpeg

I don’t know the reason for uniforms over there, but but studies have conclusively shown that when uniforms are required, student performance is significantly higher.
Yea, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the discrepancy in student to teacher ratio.

UPDATE:

We had about $1600 remaining in the Hide Fund. We prayed about it for days and made an “executive decision” to get one, final, humongous gift for the School/Orphanage — a brand new 2020 Honda ACE CB125 motorcycle!

For those who have no idea how Africa works (or the non-first-world half of the planet, for that matter) these small 125cc motorcycles ARE life. They’re super-cheap and incredibly economical. This entire continent runs on these bikes. The things these people manage to cram onto a single tiny motorbike will blow your mind. Seriously, these things are mopeds in disguise. Here are just a few photos of a few of the things we’ve seen on these bikes over the last few days:
CDE8720C-3944-4FD3-AB74-AB2BB36E1FD4.jpeg

8D929334-9D89-4EB6-BE8E-8349FA857D40.jpeg

25B3CB32-C8DB-4E33-B5B6-6E39ABFBDB70.jpeg

The school had a 30+ year old van they painted yellow with latex paint and paintbrushes (you can clearly see the brush strokes). The van has been defunct for a few years now, and irrepairable. A Honda motorbike should last them 10+ years, properly maintained. Until now, they have relied on calling taxis or similar bikes to drive them to town, the doctor, the market, etc. Not only is this bike their lifeline, it’s also a potential source of income, as they can now charge to transport people and goods at a small profit.

So — BEHOLD! — the Hide’s final manifestation of largess upon those who could not be more grateful! A grand total of $1740 (equivalent) for a BRAND NEW 2020 Honda ACE CB125, including celluar LoJack theft location, registration, taxes, and a full year of basic “insurance,” two helmets and reflective vests (Kenya law) with a spare drive chain and a few litres of Honda oil!

All for $1700!!!!!

DD93D2B9-ED4C-421D-A2B3-E8C7A2A4E2D1.jpeg

657F47BE-BF3D-47CF-BBD3-8B0FC1B6DE92.jpeg

Last edited:
UPDATE:

We had about $1600 remaining in the Hide Fund. We prayed about it for days and made an “executive decision” to get one, final, humongous gift for the School/Orphanage — a brand new 2020 Honda ACE CB125 motorcycle!

For those who have no idea how Africa works (or the non-first-world half of the planet, for that matter) these small 125cc motorcycles ARE life. They’re super-cheap and incredibly economical. This entire continent runs on these bikes. The things these people manage to cram onto a single tiny motorbike will blow your mind. Seriously, these things are mopeds in disguise. Here are just a few photos of a few of the things we’ve seen on these bikes over the last few days:
View attachment 7514305
View attachment 7514306
View attachment 7514307

The school had a 30+ year old van they painted yellow with latex paint and paintbrushes (you can clearly see the brush strokes). The van has been defunct for a few years now, and irrepairable. A Honda motorbike should last them 10+ years, properly maintained. Until now, they have relied on calling taxis or similar bikes to drive them to town, the doctor, the market, etc. Not only is this bike their lifeline, it’s also a potential source of income, as they can now charge to transport people and goods at a small profit.

So — BEHOLD! — the Hide’s final manifestation of largess upon those who could not be more grateful! A grand total of $1740 (equivalent) for a BRAND NEW 2020 Honda ACE CB125, including celluar LoJack theft location, registration, taxes, and a full year of basic “insurance,” two helmets and reflective vests (Kenya law) with a spare drive chain and a few litres of Honda oil!

All for $1700!!!!!

View attachment 7514315
View attachment 7514321

And I thought I was good at packing stuff onto a truck....they take it to a whole new level. That is awesome!!!

Last edited:
Awesome work man! You are making an incredible impact on these people's lives! Stay safe and God bless.

• Love
It’s impossible to describe the love these kids just want to pour out. They’re like little love volcanoes just waiting to erupt on the first person that will smile in their general direction. Then, once you give them just a little affection, it’s like the love dam just burst and they’re all over you. Of course they love to play, but even if you’re sitting down they just want to be near you, touching you, sitting on your lap, leaning on you, etc. They just love physical contact and will hug you to death.

This is what it’s all about. It makes your heart bigger and your life better. I swear, as a human, I get so much more out of this than the kids do.

F1DA088E-31ED-4346-8AB2-4A8A3F2B7ED3.jpeg

F42B17A1-DE3F-4CF8-A443-5FEF5F316B4A.jpeg

7E9A832F-18C2-4C78-9AFC-9719366816AC.jpeg

Sammy, with one of his Hide Christmas gifts:
272AEB3D-1FFA-4FEB-B0A3-67E13B1E9A25.jpeg

Mr. Horta, do you help at just one orphanage?

We spend most of our time and resources in one small area with one primary school, but there are a couple of others that we were able to spread some of the Christmas joy to this year specifically because of the insane generosity of the Hide community. A couple of other schools (many schools are also orphanages) got a very nice chunk of the pie this year.

It’ll take a good week, but I hope to chronicle “Operation Comfort & Joy” replete with photos, videos and more.

This is our last night in rural Kenya at the school. We took the husband and wife that run the show along with their two biological daughters — Blessing (15) and Janet (22) — into the nearest “big” city (Kitale, they live in a small village named Marura about 30 minutes away) to treat them to a Last Supper (they don’t get to eat out).

We ate at an Indian restaurant, because Kenya isn’t exactly known as a foodie hot spot.

We set out tomorrow to drive back to Nairobi — about 12 hours if conditions are good. We visit one last school/orphanage outside of the city to celebrate the new year and give them a truckload of food and necessities, like toothbrushes/toothpaste, soap, basic medicines, etc.

We’re sitting here now, at this table, engourged on Indian food as I type with my fat phalanges on my phone.

Clockwise from my extreme left: David, Ruth, Blessing, Janet, Karen (my beloved of 31 years):

4E86E9C0-1FB0-41C0-85E8-6DC84D355B1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Stateside! At the Sky Club in Atlanta. One more 30 minute flight and it’s Sweet Home Alabama!

What an E.P.I.C. trip! The things we were able to accomplish this trip were amazing. The Hide made an unbelievably huge impact.

It’ll be a few days. Need to decompress and put thoughts to paper. I’m hoping to start a new thread with serious TL:DR details, photos and videos.

You guys are incredibly awesome!

Mr. Horta, I asked about how many orphanages you go to because the motorcycle really hit home. Is it possible to get another one for a different orphanage. I would be able to help a little.

Stateside! At the Sky Club in Atlanta. One more 30 minute flight and it’s Sweet Home Alabama!

What an E.P.I.C. trip! The things we were able to accomplish this trip were amazing. The Hide made an unbelievably huge impact.

It’ll be a few days. Need to decompress and put thoughts to paper. I’m hoping to start a new thread with serious TL:DR details, photos and videos.

You guys are incredibly awesome!

Great job,

next time you go PM me again for another donation.

the hide doesn’t always alert me on watched threads.

I am so very moved and deeply humbled by what you have done over there and the impact that you have made. Thank you for taking my little pittance and bringing "joy to the world" this Christmas. I am emotional reading through this thread and seeing the pictures. We are so blessed in the US of A even with all this COVID and political mess. I thought I was on the watchlist for this thread but it somehow bumped me off so I didn't catch up until now, glad you and your wife are home safely. My family have given a lot over the years to many different "ministries" who help the poor and fatherless in other countries, but I'm always wondering how much actually makes it to those in need, knowing that your overhead was minimal it's so wonderful to see that so much was able to get right to these kids. I'm getting a little tired of 501(c) requirements or that people feel they must get a tax break in order to give, who the heck cares about the tax break, I'll be happy to give again for your next trip. God bless you.

I'm so angry that some how I never saw this thread through the change over. This is such a great cause and I would have loved to donate to this.
My hats off to you Sir I want to get in on your next year's doings.
Though if you got it now you might use it to stockpile ammo 😉

My wife and I linked up with an organization in the Congo called Mwana villages and are helping them implement a farm at their refuge. Great to see such a great response on here. Very proud of the community today!
God Bless

Got a personal check from a Hider named Scott paying for something another Hider was selling/donating. No Hide name or reference to item bought.

Please ping me and refresh my memory. Thanks!

Will you be doing this trip next year as well? If so, and you started a new Hide fund I would like to donate some money and I'm sure i can find some items laying around to donate for sale.

I spent 2 years in Central Africa as a security contractor for a government entity. While I wasn't there to help like you, I am all to familiar with the situations these orphans go through. I took many of principles to orphanages to see what the US could do, bringing care packages along with us. It was always humbling to see the joy they have from the smallest of gifts that we take for granted.

And as for the motorcycle, I can definitely confirm that as a fact. You'll see an entire family of 6 on one tiny motorcycle flying around the city streets.

Will you be doing this trip next year as well? If so, and you started a new Hide fund I would like to donate some money and I'm sure i can find some items laying around to donate for sale.

I spent 2 years in Central Africa as a security contractor for a government entity. While I wasn't there to help like you, I am all to familiar with the situations these orphans go through. I took many of principles to orphanages to see what the US could do, bringing care packages along with us. It was always humbling to see the joy they have from the smallest of gifts that we take for granted.

And as for the motorcycle, I can definitely confirm that as a fact. You'll see an entire family of 6 on one tiny motorcycle flying around the city streets.

We're actually going back at the end of next month, but more because I am a guest speaker at a regional Bible convention. We'll see our kids and various orphanages again, but not with the same intent we had with our Christmas trip.

We are in the beginning planning stages of a SEPT/OCT trip specifically for / with other HIDE members who expressed an interest in going and seeing things with their own eye -- the experience can't be shared, it has to be seen first-hand, as you're well aware. I'd love to go with a group of you guys, show you around and see what we see. Then, maybe, pick a small group of kids to support. $1,000/year will keep an orphanage fed and give them things like mattresses and blankets to sleep on, and basic medical treatment for malaria and other things where just $20-$40 can literally mean the difference between life and death for a little kid.

I still have an AC-L mag waiting for the Horta to get paid for. Pay the man and get me a shipping address!

If that's the one for $40, it might be the one I'm talking about.

It was cash, not a check (my brain is scrambled).

If we ever repeat this awesome experiment, I promise to keep better records next time. This one came out of the blue!

If its OK with @TheHorta.

I'll donate the proceeds from my new but opened Pmag 5 AC-L that doesn't fit my chassis, and a couple tpost target hangers.
Pay the Horta and PM me an address.

I'll also match it with my own donation.

How much does it cost per person to travel to Kenya? Air fare food lodging what ever else?