• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Definition of a Sniper Rifle

Re: Your Definition of a Sniper Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much will you sell for? </div></div>

Why would I sell it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That butt hurt comment actually made me laugh out loud dude. Good one </div></div>

This whole thread has been pretty funny to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much will you sell for? </div></div>

Why would I sell it? </div></div>

if you have the papers that go with it, i will give you 250.00 bucks and a brand new one from mcmillan painted to look just like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much will you sell for? </div></div>

Why would I sell it? </div></div>

if you have the papers that go with it, i will give you 250.00 bucks and a brand new one from mcmillan painted to look just like it. </div></div>

Why would you want it? It's just a beat up old used stock.
wink.gif

That has more then the original value because of its history. So i think you are less than honest when you say it doesnt affect value to you.
So i am serious how much do you want for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DC Snipers rifle a sniper rifle? </div></div>

it was a sniper's rifle used as a sniper rifle. </div></div>

It was a snipers rifle, meaning the person in possestion of it at the time it was used was a sniper? He then used it as a sniper rifle? If this is correct it is only more proof your rifles are NOT sniper rifles.
A simple yes or no question you keep not answering.
Have any of your rifles that you currently posses been used in this fashion?
Try to answer it with out beating around the bush. I think you can do it. </div></div>

it was a sniper rifle in the possession of a sniper. that in no way proves that other rifles are or are not sniper rifles.

to answer your question, nope. my rifles only get me big beer mugs. i wish they would fill them fuckers up. what good is an empty beer mug? i maintain the fact that there is NO difference between the function and design between my rifles and "real" sniper rifles, as you wish to refer to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the DC Snipers rifle a sniper rifle? </div></div>

it was a sniper's rifle used as a sniper rifle. </div></div>

It was a snipers rifle, meaning the person in possestion of it at the time it was used was a sniper? He then used it as a sniper rifle? If this is correct it is only more proof your rifles are NOT sniper rifles.
A simple yes or no question you keep not answering.
Have any of your rifles that you currently posses been used in this fashion?
Try to answer it with out beating around the bush. I think you can do it. </div></div>

it was a sniper rifle in the possession of a sniper. that in no way proves that other rifles are or are not sniper rifles.

to answer your question, nope. my rifles only get me big beer mugs. i wish they would fill them fuckers up. what good is an empty beer mug? i maintain the fact that there is NO difference between the function and design between my rifles and "real" sniper rifles, as you wish to refer to them.

</div></div>

Your rifles will go bang when you pull the trigger. The same as any modern rifle on the planet. You by the most common DEFENITION still do not own a sniper rifle. Get over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That has more then the original value because of its history. So i think you are less than honest when you say it doesnt affect value to you.
So i am serious how much do you want for it? </div></div>

It might have more than it's original value to a collector. It is cool that it made it all those years in the military and survived. I know it is worth more than I paid for it but, I'm not going to sell it even for a 650% profit. Sorry, don't be butt hurt. It shoots really good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know why.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2906902

Why would this stock be worth $1300? Because of its history and its authenticity!

</div></div>

Guess I'm lucky I got it cheap then, cause I wouldn't pay that much. I did have to make the bottom metal for mine because it didn't come with any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your are lucky. How much do you want for it? </div></div>

You'll have to talk to this guy, because it will be his one day.
P1020329-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Your rifles will go bang when you pull the trigger. The same as any modern rifle on the planet. You by the most common DEFENITION still do not own a sniper rifle. Get over it. </div></div>

all right then, what exact part of the design and/or function is not the same on my rifles as "sniper" rifles? could you point it out in a picture? could you point it out if you picked up in person? certainly there must be some physical difference. something you can point at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you keep asking the same stupid question you're going to get the same answer. </div></div>
^^ took how many pages to get to this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you keep asking the same stupid question you're going to get the same answer. </div></div>
^^ took how many pages to get to this? </div></div>

Ron White was right. "You cant fix stupid". Even with 5 pages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Your rifles will go bang when you pull the trigger. The same as any modern rifle on the planet. You by the most common DEFENITION still do not own a sniper rifle. Get over it. </div></div>

all right then, what exact part of the design and/or function is not the same on my rifles as "sniper" rifles? could you point it out in a picture? could you point it out if you picked up in person? certainly there must be some physical difference. something you can point at. </div></div>

Tell you what, post a picture of you holding one of your rifles and i will point out what CLEARLY shows it is not a sniper rifle.

This really is an amusing--and mostly pointless--semantics debate between toe-may-toe vs. toe-mah-toe thread...

I encountered having to use the term 'sniper rifle' today while chatting with my brother. He's on the market for his first rifle. When I asked what type of rifle he wanted, he said he wasn't sure between an assault rifle or a sniper rifle.

I could have said "well, that means you're going to become a police/military sniper, huh? Cause otherwise it's just a tactical/precision/long-range/cool looking bolt action rifle" but rules lawyers are losers.

I knew what he was talking about, and that's all that mattered -- effective & functional communication.

When he gets his new rifle have him post pictures on here. Make sure he titles it "My new Sniper Rifle". I am sure everyone will be very welcoming.

if the action rests in a choate stock that says john plaster ultimate sniper stock, than clearly it is a sniper rifle. all cleared up. right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if the action rests in a choate stock that says john plaster ultimate sniper stock, than clearly it is a sniper rifle. all cleared up. right? </div></div>

It has to be. It must be topped with a counter sniper too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if the action rests in a choate stock that says john plaster ultimate sniper stock, than clearly it is a sniper rifle. all cleared up. right? </div></div>

It has to be. It must be topped with a counter sniper too. </div></div>

There would have to be some sort of conflict with that set-up.

In not sure a counter sniper scope would fit on a rifle with an ultimate sniper stock.

The Marine Corps defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better. I use sniper and precision interchangeably. It means the same thing to me. 1 moa capability. It all depends on whose definition your are using since many consider the SVD a sniper rifle and it holds 2 MOA. Calling a rifle a "sniper's rifle" would imply that an actual sniper owns it. That term couldn't be used like "sniper rifle" is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh SNAP, here we go again.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ok, before my head explodes. Are my No. 4 (T)'s sniper rifles? Or my L42 A1?
Issued sniper rifle LOE or MIL is a sniper rifle. A trained sniper is that.

Could any rifle be used to "snipe" ? Yes

Does a uniform make a Soldier or Marine? No

Man I need a beer!

I believe a sniper rifle is anything an actual sniper says it is. The rifle itself is just a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better. <span style="color: #FF0000">I use sniper and precision interchangeably</span>. It means the same thing to me. 1 moa capability. </div></div>

Any rifle that holds 1 moa? Where did you get that?

Then you use them wrong.

In SE Asia, we use to get re-supplied once every five to seven days or so.

GIs being GIs a lot of stuff was thrown away or left. Unwanted C-rats (ham and lima beans for example), entrenching tools (they get heavy), all sorts of junk, some left on purpose, some by accident.

The VC/NVA would almost alway hit these locations to see what they could find.

Often we'd leave a couple of good riflemen behind, with M16a1s, some with starlight scopes, somewith out. They were very sucessful.

So you're gonna tell me, in the case mentioned above the '16s in this case are not sniper rifles????

Buy the way, the M16a1 was tested as a sniper rifle in Vietnam with the Colt 4X scopes. They had some confirmed kills up to 700 yards.

Again, it isn't the rifle that determines what is a sniper rifle or not.

Some people just like to argue for argument sake.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sniper

snip·er (snpr)
n.
1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Since a sniper can use any thing from a .22 rim fire, to a .50 cal. Anything and everything in between are sniper rifles, since they can be used as such.
Some one in the past sniped some one with a .22, so now all .22s are sniper rifles.
Some one used a m16 to snipe someone, so now all m16s are sniper rifles. A guy used a .30.06 hunting rifle to snipe someone, all .30.06 are now sniper rifles.
I think i finally get it.
All rifles are sniper rifles.
And anyone who can shoot one is a sniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And anyone who can shoot one is a sniper. </div></div>

Finally is right!! what a relief!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better. <span style="color: #FF0000">I use sniper and precision interchangeably</span>. It means the same thing to me. 1 moa capability. </div></div>

</div></div>

Um maybe...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">The Marine Corps</span> defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sniper

snip·er (snpr)
n.
1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Since a sniper can use any thing from a .22 rim fire, to a .50 cal. Anything and everything in between are sniper rifles, since they can be used as such.
Some one in the past sniped some one with a .22, so now all .22s are sniper rifles.
Some one used a m16 to snipe someone, so now all m16s are sniper rifles. A guy used a .30.06 hunting rifle to snipe someone, all .30.06 are now sniper rifles.
And anyone who can shoot one is a sniper. </div></div>

Your dictionarian skills are improving.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You sound butt hurt. </div></div>

actually, i think the proper use of the word is "butthurt". you can probably find it in the same dictionaries that a-hull is using to define "sniper rifle", i.e., it's probably not listed in webster's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better. <span style="color: #FF0000">I use sniper and precision interchangeably</span>. It means the same thing to me. 1 moa capability. </div></div>

Then you use them wrong. </div></div>

Better run over to stone bay and correct the instructors there then. I'm with Kraig on this one in that it really doesn't matter. 1 moa capability is how I define a sniper rifle. A sniper rifle is a precision instrument. I don't care if someone else defines them as different, they're the same to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In SE Asia, we use to get re-supplied once every five to seven days or so.

GIs being GIs a lot of stuff was thrown away or left. Unwanted C-rats (ham and lima beans for example), entrenching tools (they get heavy), all sorts of junk, some left on purpose, some by accident.

The VC/NVA would almost alway hit these locations to see what they could find.

So true, Kraig. I've gone in and pulled some of these guys out myself.

Often we'd leave a couple of good riflemen behind, with M16a1s, some with starlight scopes, somewith out. They were very sucessful.

So you're gonna tell me, in the case mentioned above the '16s in this case are not sniper rifles????

Buy the way, the M16a1 was tested as a sniper rifle in Vietnam with the Colt 4X scopes. They had some confirmed kills up to 700 yards.

Again, it isn't the rifle that determines what is a sniper rifle or not.

Some people just like to argue for argument sake. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better. <span style="color: #FF0000">I use sniper and precision interchangeably</span>. It means the same thing to me. 1 moa capability. </div></div>

Better run over to stone bay and correct the instructors there then. I'm with Kraig on this one in that it really doesn't matter. 1 moa capability is how I define a sniper rifle. A sniper rifle is a precision instrument. I don't care if someone else defines them as different, they're the same to me. </div></div>

A few questions for you.
1. Are you a saying you are a sniper?
2. Are you saying there is no difference between a rifle that is built for and used by the military for sniping and a rifle built for and used by a civilian?
3. Does an m16 during the v.m. war count as a precision rifle?
I ask if you are a sniper because if you are what you say would obviously carry more weight than what myself or a couple of dudes who are wannabies.
I also ask the other questions because i dont believe m.o.a. capability have any thing to do with a rifle being used for sniping. I think it has to do with a standard the marine corp has set for the rifles they use.
I also ask because if what you are saying is true then i can show you lots of rifles that can be sold as marine corp approved sniper rifles.

I also agree with kraig. But according to the wannabies on here, that would mean any m16 or hunting rifle, that has ever been used to "snipe" would count as a "sniper rifle."
But I disagree when civlians call a custom rifle they own a sniper rifle, that has never been used by a sniper, it is not even owned by a sniper, it has never been on a battle field or used by L.E. for sniping, or been used by a criminal to shoot people from a place of concealment.
Those rifles can accurately be described as alot of things, just not sniper rifle.

Oh yeah so the barrett .50 which is not a 1 moa rifle used by snipers for sniping is not a sniper rifle by the standard you stated?

A sniper is the person behind the rifle who has been trained by one of our fine branches of the military passed their tests and earned the patch. Done end of thread. Shooting matches long range does not give average Joe blows like me a title of "Sniper" I just shoot guns, that's it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Marine Corps defines a sniper rifle as any rifle capable of holding a five shot group of 1 MOA or better. <span style="color: #FF0000">I use sniper and precision interchangeably</span>. It means the same thing to me. 1 moa capability. </div></div>

Better run over to stone bay and correct the instructors there then. I'm with Kraig on this one in that it really doesn't matter. 1 moa capability is how I define a sniper rifle. A sniper rifle is a precision instrument. I don't care if someone else defines them as different, they're the same to me. </div></div>

A few questions for you.
1. Are you a saying you are a sniper?
2. Are you saying there is no difference between a rifle that is built for and used by the military for sniping and a rifle built for and used by a civilian?
3. Does an m16 during the v.m. war count as a precision rifle?
I ask if you are a sniper because if you are what you say would obviously carry more weight than what myself or a couple of dudes who are wannabies.
I also ask the other questions because i dont believe m.o.a. capability have any thing to do with a rifle being used for sniping. I think it has to do with a standard the marine corp has set for the rifles they use.
I also ask because if what you are saying is true then i can show you lots of rifles that can be sold as marine corp approved sniper rifles.

I also agree with kraig. But according to the wannabies on here, that would mean any m16 or hunting rifle, that has ever been used to "snipe" would count as a "sniper rifle."
But I disagree when civlians call a custom rifle they own a sniper rifle, that has never been used by a sniper, it is not even owned by a sniper, it has never been on a battle field or used by L.E. for sniping, or been used by a criminal to shoot people from a place of concealment.
Those rifles can accurately be described as alot of things, just not sniper rifle.

Oh yeah so the barrett .50 which is not a 1 moa rifle used by snipers for sniping is not a sniper rifle by the standard you stated? </div></div>

I was a scout sniper in 3/8 for two years. Graduated from class 2-10 out of stone bay. I just finished my contract so no, I'm not a sniper anymore. There are differences between military issue sniper rifles and civilian rifles. However if a civilian got the same parts and built a rifle to the same specs as a military issue sniper rifle then there would be no physical difference. If a vietnam era M16 held 1 MOA, it would be a precision rifle. Lots of rifles could be used with great effectiveness as issued rifles to snipers as long as they can hold the accuracy requirement. The reason the government doesn't let us use any rifle (even if accurate) is liability. They don't want somebody dying and then an accusation being made that it was because there was no regulation on his issued weapons, meaning the government is indirectly responsible. All current weapon systems are thoroughly evaluated before being fielded for active service.
Let's agree to disagree since we're both right. There is no authority on what defines sniper rifles. Different organizations define them differently as will people. My definition is mine. You can't say it's wrong because nothing supports you considering what I said is reasonable. It's my definition. Just like I can't say your definition is wrong, and I don't. My definition is what was taught to me and I agree with it and use it. It makes sense, it works, so it's good. This thread was for "<span style="text-decoration: underline">your</span> definition of a sniper rifle." As long as it's generally reasonable, it can't be ruled incorrect. Again I'm defining a sniper rifle from a capability standpoint. It does not pertain to ownership or actual purpose. A sniper's rifle would give the person owning the rifle the title of sniper. A person owning a sniper rifle says that person is in possession of a rifle capable of delivering precision fire according to the owner's definition.
And no, the M82A1 and the M107 are not sniper rifles as defined by scout snipers (2-3 moa average on both systems) even though snipers use them. They were designed for anti materiel use hence the name grouping special application scoped rifle (SASR) as opposed to special application sniper rifle.