• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1 Mile Shot

dntworry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2018
OR
Local range is 800 yards, finally found a spot where I can go to shoot out to a mile, looking for any tips

2 rifles, hope to hit with both

R700 300WM
2950FPS 215gr Berger

Tikka T3X 6.5CM
2675FPS 147gr ELDM

R700 has enough adjustment internally, going to have to hold about ~30MOA on the 6.5 to make it that far

But all seriousness sounds like you have a good 300 win to do the job. On the 6.5 when you say hold an extra 30 moa.. are you able to do that on your reticle? Or just saying you will have to hold over the target as a guess without a reference point. If the latter, then just use the 300 win mag until you can get enough elevation with a base or mount to have a good aiming point.

Keep looking through the scope as it will take a bit for the bullet to get there and bring a spotter with good eyes.
Good Luck!!!

Reactions: LastShot300
But all seriousness sounds like you have a good 300 win to do the job. On the 6.5 when you say hold an extra 30 moa.. are you able to do that on your reticle? Or just saying you will have to hold over the target as a guess without a reference point. If the latter, then just use the 300 win mag until you can get enough elevation with a base or mount to have a good aiming point.

I am able to do it with my reticle it goes to 40MOA and beyond depending on the magnification. I plan on installing a 40MOA base on the 6.5 just had not done so yet.

Your good. Fire away. Shots are harder to spot with the lighter 6.5 pills. But worth a shot. I just think the 300 win is the better tool for the job. Give it a go with both!

We tried the mile shot a few weeks ago. 6.5 was difficult to spot (we were in the desert) Once the wind picked up it was no joy.
338 Lapua made it. A good spotter with decent optics is required it is great if he is a "wind doctor"
Target was plain steel 32x32 inches 3/8 thick. No AR500 required.

Unfortunately, I do not have a spotting scope just a buddy with another 25x scope. Going to try to set up a camera downrange was thinking around 1700yards so it would be back far enough to see impacts anywhere around the target but we will see how that works out.

Walk it out.. see how you do at 1200 or so and walk it out.. easier to read wind and get a better idea of what's going on, then you will just winging it at a mile. Spotter is pretty key. Frustrating can set in quick with the smaller calibers without a good spotter.

I have two targets plan on setting one up at 1200 and one at a 1760

What elevation you at?

What is the background behind the target? Spotting is easy in the desert. It's really really hard spotting anything in soft damp dirt at that range!

Got a brake on the .300? I hear people talk like they shoot them all day. I use the smaller .308 Norma Mag with no brake, and I start shaking at around 25 rounds. People say, "There ain't no recoil to speak of..." with the .300 then can't hit crap at distance and won't acknowledge they flinch.

How much does your 6.5 CR weigh? Even a light rifle is easier to shoot with some kind of recoil mitigation. And, yeah, a 6.5 Creed will get there all day long without a brake. At about 10-12 moa more than the .300

With a 20 MOA rail, my NSX was almost maxed out on elevation. Hope you have good glass because it really sucks trying that shot without it.

My 6.5 is a Tikka with a factory barrel for now so it's a bit slow I actually am working up a new load with berger 140 hybrids and R16 that should be faster. They both have brakes, the 300 is lighter weight (11lb with optic) I use it for hunting the 6.5 is quite heavy at around 16lb.

Made a single hit at a mile, had a really hard time spotting without a quality spotting scope and less than ideal target setup location. Will be much easier next time around learned a lot.

1000ft elevation around 29.1 station pressure generally

300wm has 5-25 ATACR with 20 moa rail (76 usable from 100y zero)
6.5 has 4-16 ATACR with newly installed 40MOA rail (this puts me at 90 usable at my 100y zero)

Reactions: patriotnation
I’ve hit to 1710 with my 260.
Had to borrow a buddies gen 1 razor to do it as I ran out of elevation and reticle with my old scope.

That was with 140 hybrids at 2810.

Either of your choices are capable.

My 6.5 is a Tikka with a factory barrel for now so it's a bit slow I actually am working up a new load with berger 140 hybrids and R16 that should be faster. They both have brakes, the 300 is lighter weight (11lb with optic) I use it for hunting the 6.5 is quite heavy at around 16lb.

Made a single hit at a mile, had a really hard time spotting without a quality spotting scope and less than ideal target setup location. Will be much easier next time around learned a lot.

1000ft elevation around 29.1 station pressure generally

300wm has 5-25 ATACR with 20 moa rail (76 usable from 100y zero)
6.5 has 4-16 ATACR with newly installed 40MOA rail (this puts me at 90 usable at my 100y zero)
They'll both get there with no problem. Your friend with the 25X scope will have his hands full seeing splash, unless it's dry and dusty and splash is easily seen.

This is back in 2011 with some friends out in NV. Scotty, Chuck, Matt and Charlie. In this video, I was using a Nightforce 12-42X x 56 with an NPR-1 moa reticle. If you know the scope you know I not only didn't have enough elevation in the scope, I didn't even have enough reticle to hold over with the scope dialed up all the way either. What I ended up doing was measuring the height over target with the reticle and holding there. It helps when your backstop is a 6000 foot mtn. It was a lot of fun that day, the hit in the lower right (Chucks second) was actually my hit, but no matter, Scotty and Chuck are both better shots than me. We think Chucks other hits hit the rubber suspender on the target. Note that the fifty's ruled the day easily. chuck used a 6.5 Creed using 123 Lapua Scenars. He was easily reaching one mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: camotoe
Those will definitely make it. Heck, I've hit 1 mile with my Valkyrie. ;)

I recommend getting a Magnetospeed flasher for your target. That way you know when you hit your target and not have to look so hard for splash.

Reactions: sandwarrior
They'll both get there with no problem. Your friend with the 25X scope will have his hands full seeing splash, unless it's dry and dusty and splash is easily seen.

This is back in 2011 with some friends out in NV. Scotty, Chuck, Matt and Charlie. In this video, I was using a Nightforce 12-42X x 56 with an NPR-1 moa reticle. If you know the scope you know I not only didn't have enough elevation in the scope, I didn't even have enough reticle to hold over with the scope dialed up all the way either. What I ended up doing was measuring the height over target with the reticle and holding there. It helps when your backstop is a 6000 foot mtn. It was a lot of fun that day, the hit in the lower right (Chucks second) was actually my hit, but no matter, Scotty and Chuck are both better shots than me. We think Chucks other hits hit the rubber suspender on the target. Note that the fifty's ruled the day easily. chuck used a 6.5 Creed using 123 Lapua Scenars. He was easily reaching one mile.

Oh man what a great video that was fun to see. Who makes those target camera systems?

Last edited:
Oh man what a great video that was fun to see. Who makes those target camera systems?
I don’t remember who makes them. I will say these were ScottyS’s cameras and he synced them and did a lot of editing by hand with them. He’s the real genius behind this work. I say that as having been there and shot, this film was an excellent tutorial for us to go back and see what missed when making a shot call.