• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1980s era M1A Super Match Price Question

USAF SP

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Western Washington
Questions here for all you M1A aficionados. Shot M21s in the 1980s and have the itch to get an M1A. Local dealer has a new in the box 1980s era M1A super match with camouflage stock. Has all the paperwork and it looks new. I can get it for $2,400.00.

Any thoughts on the price?

No need to try to sway me towards an AR type 308. I'm a weapons instructor and spend half my week with the black guns. Love em but I want an accurate M1A for old time sake and to enjoy on the range.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rich

Re: 1980s era M1A Super Match Price Question

I told you in the M14 forum, and I'll tell you here...BUY IT.

Welcome to both forums by the way.

I concur. It is priced right, pre ban, USGI parts and probably falls into the golden years where the receivers were at their best. The McMillan stock only sweetens the deal. Buy before someone else in the know sees it.

Went back by the store, it has serial # 0490XX. I sent an e-mail to SA asking for some background on the gun. I'm heading there tomorrow to buy it unless I talk myself out of it which I doubt.

Who makes the best scope mount for this rig?

When I had mine I (think) had the sadlak...

An older national/supermatch is a great rifle because back then Springfield actually knew what they were doing. The price is fair. My neighbor has one with the green/brown etc camo stock (probably the same thing you are looking at) topped with an old leupold m3. It is a very nice rifle.

The old geezer is half blind/looney and his kids don't like guns so when he goes to happy acres his super match is MINE...

edit:****if you're interested another forum I go to there's a guy with a sadlak scope mount and 4x20round mags I think he wants 170 for everything shipped******

Sadlak has very sound units.

I had a Super Match back in the 80's, that is one rifle I really kick myself for selling! Not that I'm a M1A fan, but all USGI, and as said above back from the good days! Buy it or tell me where its at!

Shot it last night. Ran perfect and I got 1.25 MOA with my eyes tired and on a shaded range. Looking forward to getting some glass on it.

I can't believe how much these things have gone up. Wayne Young, was a member of the AMU Sniper Team they sent to Vietnam to conduct sniper training. He was retired and living in Anchorage in 1977 and talked me into buying a M1A, Paid $295 for that sucker. It was a standard grade, and a couple years later Gene Barnett (Barnett Barrels) converted it to a Super Match. He was a Guard Armor working the Winston P. Wilson Match.

Hard to believe my $295 is worth that much now. Almost afraid to take it out any more.

PS. Wayne Young was also the one who got me lined up with info for getting into the AMU Sniper School in 1978.

I will kindly relieve you of your hesitation of shooting it by buying it off you for the full price you paid.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe how much these things have gone up. Wayne Young, was a member of the AMU Sniper Team they sent to Vietnam to conduct sniper training. He was retired and living in Anchorage in 1977 and talked me into buying a M1A, Paid $295 for that sucker. It was a standard grade, and a couple years later Gene Barnett (Barnett Barrels) converted it to a Super Match. He was a Guard Armor working the Winston P. Wilson Match.

Hard to believe my $295 is worth that much now. Almost afraid to take it out any more.

PS. Wayne Young was also the one who got me lined up with info for getting into the AMU Sniper School in 1978.</div></div>

Sorry Lenno. I just ordered a Sadlak optics mount and leather cheek piece for it. I'm keeping this one.

As a side note, I called McMillan to see if they supplied stocks to SA in 1989. The operator put me on the phone with an employee named Dick who has been with the company a very long time. We had a great conversation about the gun and M1As in general. He confirmed that the stock is a McMillan.

Rich

Just a FYI, MSRP for the M1A Super Match in 1989:

Model SA9102 (walnut stock) - $1329.00
Model SA9104 (McMillan fiberglass stock) - $1536.00

Reference: 1989 Springfield Armory, Inc. Dealer Price List

you got a real good deal in that one. Good glass, and you will be amazed