• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 ARC

Will do a full accuracy report as soon as i can. Also nevked some starline 6.5 grendel brass down in one pass with zero issues. Worked perfectly.

Reactions: JR1200W3
Will do a full accuracy report as soon as i can. Also nevked some starline 6.5 grendel brass down in one pass with zero issues. Worked perfectly.
When I've necked down 6.5 G to .22 cal I ended up with wavy necks and had to expand from the inside and neck turn a skim pass to even it out. So well done on your efforts.

Royals case lube is the ticket! Its the best by far of any case lube i have ever used. It honestly didnt feel any different necking down the 6.5 brass then sizing the 22 arc brass.

Royals case lube is the ticket! Its the best by far of any case lube i have ever used. It honestly didnt feel any different necking down the 6.5 brass then sizing the 22 arc brass.
I used three sizing dies and a mandrel in a 650 toolhead to convert all my 22G brass. Annealed them first. Then ran them thru two neck sizing, a final undersize neck/ headspace, and a mandrel to push all the ugliness to the outside. Ran 300 cases through at once. And then sat down to neck turn them with a Lee shell holder lock thingy on a hand drill and a Forester turner. Then annealed them all on an AMP again.

Shooting right around 1 moa for 2 5 shot geoups with the hornady black 75 eldm at 2945 fps avg. not beating up brass at all. Im pretty happy with that!

Attachments

• IMG_8326.jpeg
    IMG_8326.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8327.jpeg
    IMG_8327.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8328.jpeg
    IMG_8328.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: JR1200W3
Shooting right around 1 moa for 2 5 shot geoups with the hornady black 75 eldm at 2945 fps avg. not beating up brass at all. Im pretty happy with that!
That's a pretty conservative factory load. Nothing wrong with that. Pretty much the same performance speed and bullet wise as a long barreled 223 bolt gun. I'm betting you'd be looking at 3000 - 3100 with reloads. Your barrel probably still has some speeding up to do as well

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
Yes im gonna reload some 53 vmax first. I want some 62 eldvt! Heres 50 starline 6:5 grendel brass necked down. Look perfect to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: CSchol and Bevo
Yes im gonna reload some 53 vmax first. I want some 62 eldvt! Heres 50 starline 6:5 grendel brass necked down. Look perfect to me.
Agreed. You get any belling on the mouths? I've gotten that in the past when necking down. Hard to tell from the photos. This one looks like it might have some?

1000003894.png

Necked down 6.5 grendel brass CCI no.41 primer 53 grain vmax. Cfe 223 powder. Im happy!

Attachments

• IMG_8329.jpeg
    IMG_8329.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8330.jpeg
    IMG_8330.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8331.jpeg
    IMG_8331.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: dirtytough
I believed that is just from going to far back up after i seated the primer. So the top part of the neck slightly touched the expander ball again.
I get it when necking down cartridges and I'm going more than one caliber down. Without using expander balls, just bushings and mandrels. I can't explain why it happens. Have yet to figure it out. Just look like you were getting a little bit of that as well. That's part of what I neck turned off my 22G brass. If I had to guess without measuring I would say it's the growth that is created when squeezing the neck down

I get it when necking down cartridges and I'm going more than one caliber down. Without using expander balls, just bushings and mandrels. I can't explain why it happens. Have yet to figure it out. Just look like you were getting a little bit of that as well. That's part of what I neck turned off my 22G brass. If I had to guess without measuring I would say it's the growth that is created when squeezing the neck down
You are correct. After closer inspection the necks are belled slightly. Dont seem to affect anything so far.

You are correct. After closer inspection the necks are belled slightly. Dont seem to affect anything so far.
I have to imagine that would kill the neck clearance in your chamber. I think it will definitely rectify itself after the first firing and you won't have issues with it anymore. Maybe it's just on the list of artifacts that get cleaned up by fireforming the first load.

Loading and unloading a live round and a spent round has no resistance at all. So im gonna run it haha
That'll fix the problem faster than neck turning will. Have you checked OAL case length against a print to see if you need to trim?

Im ready to see some Hornady load data. Hodgdon has some yes but its not what im looking for.

I just spoke with Rainier Arms. They have 22" 22ARC barrels in stock and will have 18" non-fluted barrels coming in stock in a few weeks. Both are Ultramatch series. I don't know of anyone else with them in stock; Uintah Precision has them but $1k+ is a lot of money for a standard upper build.

Reactions: Bevo
Does anybody have 22arc barrels in stock? That aren’t super heavy, over gassed and pricey?

I just spoke with Rainier Arms. They have 22" 22ARC barrels in stock and will have 18" non-fluted barrels coming in stock in a few weeks. Both are Ultramatch series. I don't know of anyone else with them in stock; Uintah Precision has them but $1k+ is a lot of money for a standard upper build.
I just checked Rainier's website, they haven't added any .22 ARC items to the site yet, looks like you'll have to pick up the phone at the moment.

The "Site Search" box at the top didn't turn up results when I checked.
Rainier is still in the office, they're on pacific time, so it's not 5:00 PM Yet.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

The 22arc barrel on Rainier's site could only be found by googling it. I talked with them and they're aware, they said they're working through some website fixes right now.

I have a 22" from Rainier on the way. And 100 rds of 88 ELD-M so I can break it in and fire-form some brass.

Need some 62gr ELD-VTs to load. Where are they?!?

Opinions on using any of the 62-70gr T-REX offerings from Maker in the 22 ARC?

Well its -20 outside with a 30 mph wind so i aint shootin any groups now. But a kind gentlemen sent me 20 62eldvt bullets and i got then to 3300 fps with cfe 223 powder and there is more speed potential left. Also shooting the 53 vmax at 3470 fps with great accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_8330.jpeg
    IMG_8330.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8329.jpeg
    IMG_8329.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8331.jpeg
    IMG_8331.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Bevo and JR1200W3
Well its -20 outside with a 30 mph wind so i aint shootin any groups now. But a kind gentlemen sent me 20 62eldvt bullets and i got then to 3300 fps with cfe 223 powder and there is more speed potential left. Also shooting the 53 vmax at 3470 fps with great accuracy.
Good to see. Do you plan on doing any heavies?

The 22 ARC IS....the same old 22 PPC! Recycled! With a new name ...total LOL Nothing is new. Go Hornady! It was a popular benchrest cartridge many years back, just necked down 6 mm PPC...
Probably within a grain of the water capacity of the orginial.
But the 22 PPC was for bolt gun benchrest and not limited to the 50,000 psi of the AR.
It has the potential to be very accurate, but most went back to the 6mm PPC many yrs ago as the 6mm was more accurate over the long haul...probably just the Berger and other match bullets available made the difference, but the 22 PPC never made a come back. Sako even made rifles for varmints in that caliber.
The capacity is close to the 224 Valkyrie, and the Valkyrie can handle a bit more pressure in the AR platform. So it's likely a draw between the two.
For varmints I'd just use the 5.56 and load em hot, same result, and ya don't care about the brass.
The 22 Nosler has more capacity in the lighter bullets and more velocity overall, but they need to be seated out single shot when heavy bullets are used.
An old benchrest caliber renamed ...22 PPC is now a new 22 ARC, probably with a slightly shorter neck.

The 22 ARC IS....the same old 22 PPC! Recycled! With a new name ...total LOL Nothing is new. Go Hornady! It was a popular benchrest cartridge many years back, just necked down 6 mm PPC...
But the 22 PPC was for bolt gun benchrest and not limited to the 50,000 psi of the AR.
It has the potential to be very accurate, but most went back to the 6mm PPC many yrs ago as the 6mm was more accurate over the long haul...probably just the Berger and other match bullets available made the difference, but the 22 PPC never made a come back. Sako even made rifles for varmints in that caliber.
The capacity is close to the 224 Valkyrie, and the Valkyrie can handle a bit more pressure in the AR platform. So it's likely a draw between the two.
For varmints I'd just use the 5.56 and load em hot, same result, and ya don't care about the brass.
The 22 Nosler has more capacity in the lighter bullets and more velocity overall, but they need to be seated out single shot when heavy bullets are used.
An old benchrest caliber renamed ...22 PPC is now a new 22 ARC, probably with a slightly shorter neck.

22arc is a neck downed 6.5 Grendel. Dimensions are different than ppc in several areas. Same parent .220 Russian though obviously.

Capacity wise, it's in between a 6ppc and 6br.

Last edited:
Ya, I mentioned this a couple of pages back. You can basically just shoot a 22 PPC for all intents and purpose be the same. Except factory brass and dies.

Reactions: 45-90
Don't mean to dog the 224 Valkyrie, but it was one of the most difficult bottle neck cartridges to get an AR 15 to shoot 5 shots into less than a half inch at 100 yds.
Got a new 6.5 twist barrel for 95 gr SMK, still not up to tbe accuracy task. Tear it down and investigate, the Areo Precision wasn't quite precise..Machine it. Still not getting there... center the bolt carrier in the bore...that did it!
This poceedure usually only makes a small difference...not with the 224 Valkyrie.
So the 22 ARC would have to exceed this performance with 95 gr SMK before I'd be interested.
The 22 ARC should be an accurate cartridge, it's almost identical to the old benchrest 22PPC.
Most all AR 15s can be made accurate, including the difficult 224 Valkyrie...that's my experience with it. It can shoot small 5 shot groups at 100 yds when properly set up. But so can the 22 ARC, is my guess, maybe easier, depending on the components and quality of assembly.

Attachments

• 20201228_205709.jpg
    20201228_205709.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210102_212254.jpg
    20210102_212254.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210809_175341.jpg
    20210809_175341.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 49