.22 br

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
Funny I just got my reamer from Manson yesterday that was supposed to be .255 and I got a .252 neck reamer. Aggravating after waiting 10 weeks but mistakes happen I guess.
They sent me a reamer print and I didn't look it over real close. It was a .252 neck, even though I requested a .255. So I didn't make a big stink over it, I should have caught it.

But .252 only works if you neck turn. Which I won't do.

jzerfoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
They sent me a reamer print and I didn't look it over real close. It was a .252 neck, even though I requested a .255. So I didn't make a big stink over it, I should have caught it.

But .252 only works if you neck turn. Which I won't do.
Just wanted to say they had a replacement reamer to me in a week. Happy with the customer service!

Reactions: Birddog6424

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
Just wanted to say they had a replacement reamer to me in a week. Happy with the customer service!
A great point. And I had the same experience. They took very good care of me on that issue.

I've ordered several reamers from them since, their service is excellent..

Last edited:
Reactions: jzerfoss

just browsing

just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
NEPA
So neck turning... is it necessary or not? Or completely dependent on neck diameter/chamber?

I have zero interest in turning or really having to do anything beyond the normal size down - load - shoot.

I have plenty of virgin BR brass, RL16 and 88s. Thinking this could be an option... if I can be lazy with loading.

jzerfoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
So neck turning... is it necessary or not? Or completely dependent on neck diameter/chamber?

I have zero interest in turning or really having to do anything beyond the normal size down - load - shoot.

I have plenty of virgin BR brass, RL16 and 88s. Thinking this could be an option... if I can be lazy with loading.
Not necessary but can be beneficial. If you don't want to turn necks just make you get a .255" or bigger neck.

Reactions: 260284

jzerfoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
I refuse to neck turn.

Its a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. Get the right reamer dimensions.
I've noticed and measured that necking down can cause the necks to get thicker towards the base of the neck. Turning has helped with my neck tension consistency, seating depth consistency, and reduce flyers. Saw this with my 22 Creed and I'm seeing it with my 22BR. I guess results may vary

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
I've noticed and measured that necking down can cause the necks to get thicker towards the base of the neck. Turning has helped with my neck tension consistency, seating depth consistency, and reduce flyers. Saw this with my 22 Creed and I'm seeing it with my 22BR. I guess results may vary
I run a .222 mandrel from Sinclair through all my brass so I get consistency. Its on the second station of my progressive reloader, so it doesn't add any time to my reloading process. It gives me .002 neck tension and a .252 OD on the neck. It pretty much eliminates any issues.

Last edited:

jzerfoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
I run a .222 mandrel from Sinclair through all my brass so I get consistency. Its on the second station of my progressive reloader, so it doesn't add any time to my reloading process. It gives me .002 neck tension and a .252 OD on the neck. It pretty much eliminates any issues.
I use the same mandrel after sizing. What I noticed at first seating started easier than it finished when the necks aren't turned. Hypothetically, since the brass of the neck gets progressively thicker as it goes down the tension will be higher as you go down. Just out of curiosity have you measured the top and bottom of the neck with a mandrel in the neck or a long bullet seated? I saw at .002" difference from top to bottom. It could be an issue with the particular lot of brass I have when necking down.

just browsing

just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
NEPA
Birddog, what is the “correct” reamer dimension/neck bushing size then given that I don’t want to turn necks?

I’ve seen .255 thrown around a lot in the thread, but then you said .252 gives you no issues. I would be using the same sizing process with initial neck-down and then mandrel.

Potsy

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2019
Pretty sure mine's a .255", but I'd have to look at my notes.
I don't turn, but I do get the sized-down-donut. They chamber pretty tight the first couple firings and eventually form out.
I have wondered about it's effect on consistent neck thickness.

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2014
Boise, Idaho
Birddog, what is the “correct” reamer dimension/neck bushing size then given that I don’t want to turn necks?

I’ve seen .255 thrown around a lot in the thread, but then you said .252 gives you no issues. I would be using the same sizing process with initial neck-down and then mandrel.
I had a .252 neck dimension reamer initially. The rifle shot like hell and it took some time to figure out the cause. I had ordered a .255 neck, so I got the wrong one. The only way to make the .252 neck work is to neck turn your brass. Which as I've stated, I won't do. I lose this brass and wear it out shooting PRS matches, so I refuse to invest all that time into brass prep and be frustrated when I lose 10 to 12 (or more) pieces of it at every big match. And, I hate neck turning.

Manson took care of me, seeing as how we were both at fault, they split the new reamer cost with me and I now have a .2555 neck dimension reamer. I resize with a .249 bushing, which gives me an internal diameter of around .220/.221. I run the .222 mandrel down it, and as mentioned, that gives me .002 neck tension and a .252 OD.