• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

223 rem bolt gun recommendations

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Looking to purchase a .223 Rem bolt action rifle. Shooting varmints mainly 100-400 yards and paper punching. I'm thinking about a Remington 700, but there are so many different variations. My thought was go with 700 drop in a Jewell trigger and maybe a Mcmillan stock.... Suggestions are welcome not set on a 700 so if you have something else let's hear about it.

Re: 223 rem bolt gun recommendations

Remington makes the 700 Tactical in .308 and .223. The rifles are otherwise identical.

84207 is the .308

84206 is the .223

Where ya at in PA ? I actually have a .223 on the shelf right now.
grin.gif

I know the 700 comes in different calibers was more interested in the different variations in the 223 specifically ie. SPS, Varment, VTR. Anyone care to chime in on the subject. Again would love to hear about other accurate 223 bolt guns as well.

you can look at a savage 10fp and put it in a XLR stock. They come with 20 24 26 inch barrels. Or mcmillan.
The savage is a great out of the box shooter so if you put it in a better stock it is just right. It also has a 1-9 twist so you can use heavier grain projectiles. Remington 700's cant be beat as well. You will need to try cycling the bolts to see wich is right for you they both differ in how the feel.
Best of luck on the rifle either one will be a shooter.

My only worry with the Remington 700 .223 would be chamber issues. I have read a few people having problems with there's. Anyone know if it's specific model 700's that are more prone to this?

I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical .223, 1/9 Twist.

The older ones were 1/12 I think.

Mine likes 69 grain bullets a lot. It does not like heavier or lighter bullets.

If you want to shoot varmints, you might want a slower twist/lighter bullet.

Any way twist rate is something to think about.

Looks like the Rem 700 Varmint models have the 1/12 twist. Yes it will mostly be used for varmint. I already have a lot of Black Hills 55gr FMJ so I would be running that for awhile. Would the 1/9 twist loose accuracy spitting 55gr? The thing I do like about 1/9 is if I want to go to the heavier bullets I have that option. This decision making stuff is hard!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical .223, 1/9 Twist.

The older ones were 1/12 I think.

Mine likes 69 grain bullets a lot. It does not like heavier or lighter bullets.

If you want to shoot varmints, you might want a slower twist/lighter bullet.

Any way twist rate is something to think about.

</div></div>

A 1 in 9 or even a 1 in 8 will NOT hurt varmint weight bullets unless they have very thin jackets AND you are driving them at insane (hot 22-250) velocities.

That has been my personal experience shooting Winchester white box 45 grainers through 1/8 20" ARs and through a 1/9 26" Winchester Model 70.

One cannot also say "X twist is more accurate with light bullets". Too many factors affect rifle accuracy to make that statement, particularly when rifling rate is a minor contributor to accuracy. I would worry first about the dimensional consistency of the grooves, lands, and chamber and the smoothness of the chamber, throat, and bore; then the quality of the bedding before worrying about twist when it comes to accuracy.

I've got a 700 in a B&C a3 stock, 4-16pst, and Jewell trigger. Nice little gun. I'm still playing with loads but out of all of my loads everything is less than 1" and best is about 3/8" and average 3/4" out of everything else.

40gr vmax 28.5 varget
50gr Nosler BT 28.5 varget
60gr Vmax 28 varget

all of these are around that 3/8"-1/2" mark.

I just bought a Tikk T3 Varmint and I love it. I chose Tikka b/c of the 1 in 8 twist rate for the heavier bullets. (That and I still have a grudge with Remington, but I am not going to get into that)

I have an sps tactical in .223, it tends to like the heavier bullets, especially the 69 grain MK or custom competition. Many people have found that they shoot the 77 grain bullets extremely well.

Mine also likes the 55 grain Hornady softpoint load, it does not particularly care for the 45 grain winchester white box load (I have seen it shoot extremely well out of my dad's 10fp).

I have never checked, but I suspect the twist is a little faster than 1-9".

Have you considered the Savage 10PC or the predator hunter max (not the regular predator hunter, but the max)?
If you are going to be out walking around, I really think the lighter weight and the fact that it comes in an excellent stock already would be an attractive option.

If you are going to be shooting whistle pigs out to 400 yards, I think the savage and 68 or 69 grain match loads would be an awesome combo.

Try looking at a LTR .223. I replaced X-mark trigger with a Timney. Seems like mine has a "tight chamber" as bolt takes some effort to close. Rifle shoots the 55 grain V-max great.

I own a Remington 700 VLSS (Varmint with thumbhole stock) with a Jewell trigger and Nightforce scope. I regurlarly get half inch MOA groups and the gun accuracy is clearly limited by me. I shoot Black Hills 52gr Match ammo and have no problem with varmints out to 400m. The Jewell trigger really made a difference for me compared to the Remington stock trigger.

Rem. 700 Police .223, 1/9 twist, 26" barrel. Bughole accurate. I bet the 5/R is a shooter as well.

A Remington 700 with a reasonablely heavy barrel, or a Savage with heavy barrel, or tikka or (my favorite) a Howa 1500 with a heavy barrel are three good examples of rifles that will fill your needs.

I did a quick search and here's a couple available here on the Hide.
WTS Remington 700 .223 w/Varminter Stock

FS: Remington LTR 223

Here's a couple of rifles I found on the web that will at least get you to the range.

Howa 1500 24" bull barrel .223 rem
wm_2237654.jpg

Rem 700 Varmint rifle 223
wm_2418282.jpg

Hey take a look at the 223's for sale on Surgeon Rifles website. Yeah they cost over 4k but cool to look at. SurgeonRifles.com