• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 Valkyrie

In case anyone is wondering, Reloader 16 looks like this in valkyrie case. On left is 27.2 grains, on right (lower right) is 27.5 grains. No issue seating Berger 80.5 Full Bore to 2.250, without denting ogive. My best guess on reloader 16 load maximums for Valkyris is as follows:
80 grain bullet MAX is probably around ~27.5 to 28.0 grains.
85 grain bullet MAX is probably around ~27.0-27.5
88/90 grain MAX is probably around ~26.5-27
Just guessing from testing it, its very slow powder, probably on burn scale between PP 2000-MR and Reloader 17. I used PP 2000 MR as base to use, but found it to be slower, so perhaps its 1-2% more load than PP 2000 MR or close to that. I am not worried at all, because you can't get enough in the case to make it high pressure, I don't think. Max in case even from long tube is probably under 28 grains. If you load max in case, you can't get 88+ grain bullets in there well, without a lot of pressure, severely denting the ogive. This is all just a guess, as there is no data out there at all on this.
4e3e428e-8a5e-493c-b0b8-4e7675dadc2f

Looking for some advice. I’m running an 18” barrel, what are some good loads for those of you that are running shorter barrels?

I have about 150 rounds through my barrel right now and not having the best of luck

Last edited:
I would recommend doing the following from lessons learned over the years and recently, which will help you develop what you want, faster.
  1. Choose 1 powder. For Valkyrie, I would recommend H4895, Reloader 16, Varget, Shooters World Precision Rifle, or any other temp stable powder in that speed range, which maybe not much more. Avoid powders like 2000 MR and Reloader 17, etc, that are not temp stable at all.
  2. Use match primers, they make a difference for sure.
  3. Choose a top tier bullet. Berger 80.5 Full bore, the best I ever seen in Valkyrie so far. Very solidly constructed bullet. Load to 20k off lands, which is going to be 2.250, as that bullets hits Saami chamber lands around 2.270.
  4. Use Sierra Load data for 77/80 grain bullets for Valkyrie, or use Nato 5.56 data for 80 grain SMK, or use 223 Remington data and add minimum 5% to maximum.
  5. With 1 powder you have selected, load every .3 grains apart, lots of 10, with at least 3 different powder charges, 5 is best (50 bullets total)
  6. Proceed to range, shoot 5 shot group at 100. Then shoot 5 shot group at 200. (10 shots per load)
  7. put dummy bullet in bottom of magazine, and eject after you shoot 5 shot group, to eliminate the possibility of "last shot AR15" potential issue.
  8. Mark which bullet was FIRST SHOT, on target, take note of it. Its possible first shot has some sort of issue in AR15, but I can't prove it.
  9. be super patient in your shooting, and when you pull trigger, keep trigger fully depressed for 2 seconds, and your eyes on target, in locked shooting position. This "helps" eliminate some bad habits, and is common training method.
  10. Bipod helps, and if you bring a level on a hard table, to make sure your scope is as close to level as possible. Not canted. Canted kills groups. You must have same cant on every shot, which is flat. Bubble level helps on scope. Bipod helps most to steady this, make sure bipod is really tight, no play.
Out of that, you will find node for that powder and bullet, and have something to play with. If you cannot find a good group in the above, better than say 1.1 MOA, then I feel your pain and I am sorry.

I would recommend doing the following from lessons learned over the years and recently, which will help you develop what you want, faster.
  1. Choose 1 powder. For Valkyrie, I would recommend H4895, Reloader 16, Varget, Shooters World Precision Rifle, or any other temp stable powder in that speed range, which maybe not much more. Avoid powders like 2000 MR and Reloader 17, etc, that are not temp stable at all.
  2. Use match primers, they make a difference for sure.
  3. Choose a top tier bullet. Berger 80.5 Full bore, the best I ever seen in Valkyrie so far. Very solidly constructed bullet. Load to 20k off lands, which is going to be 2.250, as that bullets hits Saami chamber lands around 2.270.
  4. Use Sierra Load data for 77/80 grain bullets for Valkyrie, or use Nato 5.56 data for 80 grain SMK, or use 223 Remington data and add minimum 5% to maximum.
  5. With 1 powder you have selected, load every .3 grains apart, lots of 10, with at least 3 different powder charges, 5 is best (50 bullets total)
  6. Proceed to range, shoot 5 shot group at 100. Then shoot 5 shot group at 200. (10 shots per load)
  7. put dummy bullet in bottom of magazine, and eject after you shoot 5 shot group, to eliminate the possibility of "last shot AR15" potential issue.
  8. Mark which bullet was FIRST SHOT, on target, take note of it. Its possible first shot has some sort of issue in AR15, but I can't prove it.
  9. be super patient in your shooting, and when you pull trigger, keep trigger fully depressed for 2 seconds, and your eyes on target, in locked shooting position. This "helps" eliminate some bad habits, and is common training method.
  10. Bipod helps, and if you bring a level on a hard table, to make sure your scope is as close to level as possible. Not canted. Canted kills groups. You must have same cant on every shot, which is flat. Bubble level helps on scope. Bipod helps most to steady this, make sure bipod is really tight, no play.
Out of that, you will find node for that powder and bullet, and have something to play with. If you cannot find a good group in the above, better than say 1.1 MOA, then I feel your pain and I am sorry.

Thanks for the insight. I bought some factory loaded 80.5's and 90's to test out and some nosler 80 grain competition bullets to load up. Hopefully I get a chance this coming weekend to really sit and do some proper testing. I had been using some "old" 80 SMK's that I had left from my Tikka T3.

I would like to say its not that the rifle hasn't shown potential but I feel like it could be better. If 1-1.1 MOA is all I can get I'll be good with that. I bought the 18" barrel with the idea i'd use it for for hunting woodchucks and coyotes out to 800yds but realistically where I live 300yds is a long shot.

Hey guys question, Wilson combat SS that I bought one of there 20” Valkyrie barrels for to convert over for my wife to get her feet wet in the long range game eventually once the brass is piled up will reload I suppose even though factory shoots great. I have a substantial amount of 69 smk left over from the 20” 5.56 barrel that was on there and was wondering if there worth it out of the Valkyrie she will mainly be under 600yds
Marinepmi you are so correct! It’s clear I had not enjoyed my coffee yet that morning. To simplify my question I would ask are the 69 smk bullets a good option for the Valkyrie? Thank you for keeping me in check I obviously needed it.

Just finished load development. Bighorn Origin, 24" 1-7 X-Caliber. Tried 85.5s first with multiple powders. Grouped well at 2725 but fell apart if I tried to push any harder. Went to 80.5 Fullbore and N550 powder. 26.7 grains got 2925 and single digit SDs. They like a .020 jump. Happy with this, just going to run it. That's 4 at 100 yards.

Attachments

• received_901331810387879.jpeg
    received_901331810387879.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: Longshot231
Just finished load development. Bighorn Origin, 24" 1-7 X-Caliber. Tried 85.5s first with multiple powders. Grouped well at 2725 but fell apart if I tried to push any harder. Went to 80.5 Fullbore and N550 powder. 26.7 grains got 2925 and single digit SDs. They like a .020 jump. Happy with this, just going to run it. That's 4 at 100 yards.
Good info. Thanks for this load data. I had a setback on my testing after I found my Superlative Arms clamp-on gas block was binding against the rail on the side with the screws. Shot like 3.5 inches lower after fixed so it was significant. Can't believe I f'n missed that. The 80.5's with 26.6 grains of CFE223 still shoots the best but the 85.5 now show promise with my dickhead mistake now rectified.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Good evening gentlemen, I have been following this thread for a year and a half and feel like I've read it through at least a couple of times. I just got my rifle finished and fired it for the first time this past Saturday. It was mainly just a shakedown just to check for functioning, as I didn't have a lot of time to play with it.

I received the assembled upper as a birthday gift, June of 2019. I know of the incorrect chamber issues on the early barrels, but I don't have a pin gauge to check my chamber length. I do have a hornady oal tool, and when I got home Sat night, I checked a number of different bullets and recorded the BTO and COAL measurements. Hopefully someone can tell me if my chamber is in spec or not. I know some of you guys have worked with this cartridge extensively, and I'm hoping if I don't have to immediately swap barrels, I can try some of the loads that you guys have been having success with.

BTO COAL
Hornady 75gr. ELDM 1.791" 2.335"
Sierra 77gr TMK 1.816" 2.259"
Hornady 80gr ELDM 1.789" 2.335"
Horenady 88gr ELDM 1.791 2.351"

So, whaddya think? Can I keep my current barrel and start load testing, or put in an order for a RA UM?

Kelbly’s Atlas Tactical
PTG Saami reamer
26” Bartlein 1-8
77 Nosler RDF
28.0 grains H4350
CCI 400
2780 ft/second
3/8 moa

The 1-8 barrel doesn’t like the heavies

Last edited:
Reactions: gpkon66
Anyone have experience with the JP super match barrels in valkyrie? Bit on the Brownells sale.

Also, any ARcomp users? Trying to stick with something I already have and is easy to replace in the current market. I’ll also do Varget in the long run, but saving what I have on hand for the dasher.

A lot more testing completed using my good Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod 2.
http://natoreloading.com/RainierUM/
e0161bb7-519e-4cc5-9b33-936f52f0bb6f

The Berger Full Bore bullets are real good for me.
P.S. you can tell yardage of test comparing "group Size" column to MOA column. HALF the group size, means its 200 yards. And DOUBLE means its 50. Approximately, since MOA and inches is close. It has exact MOA formula in there.

Reactions: gpkon66
A lot more testing completed using my good Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod 2.
http://natoreloading.com/RainierUM/
e0161bb7-519e-4cc5-9b33-936f52f0bb6f

The Berger Full Bore bullets are real good for me.
P.S. you can tell yardage of test comparing "group Size" column to MOA column. HALF the group size, means its 200 yards. And DOUBLE means its 50. Approximately, since MOA and inches is close. It has exact MOA formula in there.

wow thanks for the detail. It’s like a shopping list of random extra powders to try that I‘ve collected over the year. Definitely have some cfe223 and ArComp I can throw at my new barrel.

Probably won't be any help to anyone, but I was happy to finally find a load that shot sub-moa in my gun, after numerous tries. Was shooting 80gr eldm's with 22.9 grs of H4895, cci 450's, and new Hornady cases, seated at 2.285" coal. I imagine there is probably a node just a little higher, as these were running 2665 out of a 20", 1-7 barrel. I'm just tickled that I may not have to re-barrel after all. Now to get my 88's to group, that's the next project. I shot 88 eldm's yesterday with cfe 223 and bl-c(2) and the groups were atrocious. Looked like shotgun patterns. Probably gonna try H4895, RL16, or varget.

For the Berger 80.5 gr full bores, Hodgdon shows max load is 26.7 @2.260 according to my notes. So 26.4for the 85.5's is probably about right. As always, please be careful and work up the load that works for your gun. Also, I exclusively use CCI 450 primers.

For the Berger 80.5 gr full bores, Hodgdon shows max load is 26.7 @2.260 according to my notes. So 26.4for the 85.5's is probably about right. As always, please be careful and work up the load that works for your gun. Also, I exclusively use CCI 450 primers.

what powder sir?

I called the berger hotline and they gave me these max loads for cfe223 at a coal of 2.26.

80.5: 27.7
85.5: 26.8

The appear to have great potential! That's all I'll say about accuracy at the moment. Worth noting that I do not load to 2.260 or beyond given the magazine constraints, possible damaging of the tips.

I am not having a ton of luck with the 85.5s. The best I can eek out is moa-ish. They seem way more finicky than the 80.5.

I'm sticking with the 80.5s for now.
Yea the 80.5 are very forgiving and on average shoot just under and inch without too much effort. That said, I've seen some scary 3 out of 5 shot hits within 3/8" or less with the 85.5's!. The question is how do I get all five shots to behave?

Anyone have experience with the JP super match barrels in valkyrie? Bit on the Brownells sale.

Also, any ARcomp users? Trying to stick with something I already have and is easy to replace in the current market. I’ll also do Varget in the long run, but saving what I have on hand for the dasher.

I bought an entire JP 224v rifle. Its a 1:7 and shoots the 90 smk to 1/2 moa and the 88 H all day long. I also have a 1:6.5 Q minifix with 22" 224v barrel. The JP outshoots it.

About to start reloading for it - bought some 88 ELDs and some bergers 80.5 ... will see how this goes.

Reactions: TACC
I bought an entire JP 224v rifle. Its a 1:7 and shoots the 90 smk to 1/2 moa and the 88 H all day long. I also have a 1:6.5 Q minifix with 22" 224v barrel. The JP outshoots it.

About to start reloading for it - bought some 88 ELDs and some bergers 80.5 ... will see how this goes.
I wish I could help you, but I've had my struggles with it. Out of about 8 or 9 loads, I've only had one load shoot sub moa. The quest continues.

I've got 10 rounds of the 88 ELD's loaded up for next time out. They shot poorly (and I'm being kind!) first time out with them.

Last edited:
I've got 10 rounds of the 88 ELD's loaded up for next time out. They shoot poorly (and I'm being kind!) first time out with them.
I have not tried the 88's with varget or H4895 yet. That's next on the list. I may try running the tubb final finish system through the barrel before I give up and re-barrel this thing. A lot of guys seem to be having success with the ranier um mod2 barrels.

Buddy of mine recently got the Rainer Mod2 24". I got his hand-me-down PSA 20" 1-7 twist that he said did not shoot worth a damn. That's how I got into the insanity of 224 Valkyire. Would have never touched this caliber if not for the free barrel. I'm a Grendel guy and unless I can shoot 85.5 grain or heavier at 2800+ fps in the Valkyrie, simply not worth it IMHO.

Jury still out.

Buddy of mine recently got the Rainer Mod2 24". I got his hand-me-down PSA 20" 1-7 twist that he said did not shoot worth a damn. That's how I got into the insanity of 224 Valkyire. Would have never touched this caliber if not for the free barrel. I'm a Grendel guy and unless I can shoot 85.5 grain or heavier at 2800+ fps in the Valkyrie, simply not worth it IMHO.

Jury still out.
It's definitely more of a challenge than what I'm used to. Once I get the valkyrie Ironed out, a grendel will be my next build.

Just in case anyone is still watching this thread, I have finally been able to get an 88gr load to shoot well in my rifle. I ran the Tubb's final finish bore-lapping bullets through the gun a week ago. Went back out yesterday and shot an 80gr load that I was refining, and was completely floored by the improvement, velocity and accuracy. I would have not believed it had I not seen it. I shot an identical load that I had previously shot, which clocked in at 2600 fps. Shot it again yesterday, after the tubb's system, and picked up an honest-to-God 200 fps! I thought my chrony was broke, but it functioned all day. Anyway, all of my groups across the board improved, I settled on an 80gr load that hammers, and now have an 88gr load to refine, but I'm confident that the 88gr load will only improve.

Here are my go-to loads, so far:
80gr Hornady eldm
23.0 grs H4895
cci 450 primers
Hornady cases
2.285" coal
.75" moa
mv 2879
sd 7
es 17

88gr Hornady eldm
24.7 grs RL15
cci 41 primers
Hornady cases
2.270" coal
.70" moa
mv 2808
sd 8
es23

I have a couple other loads to work on, but am tickled shitless that my "throw-away" barrel is performing. Took a little work, if you can call loading and shooting work, but it's running good enough for me. And for anyone with an off the shelf barrel that isn't shooting, I would definitely recommend Tubb's final finish system.

I am helping a buddy start reloading his Valkyrie

he has a JP 22 inch 1-7 twist barrel.
this is a gas gun.

we have H4895 to work with. He has a couple different bullets but has the most of the 88 eldm, so that's where we are starting.

where is the round about max on that charge?
Sierra has a published max of 22.5 for the 90gr, but it seems about a grain light to what I see others loading.

I have no issues SAFELY going over book max. (I load 77gr under 23.9 of 8208xbr in my 223 AR, but I worked and tested to get there)

what's a good range to start?
Where do most guys start seeing pressure?

You will start seeing pressure signs at the upper end of the powder range. You will also want to invest in a primer pocked gauge. Valkyrie is rough on the primer pockets and after one firing on brass they can become loose.

Some folks really like the 80 gr and 80.5 gr projectiles out of 1:7 barrels, so try those out too.

Have any of you Valkyrie guys tried the 75eldm? My local Shop has a bunch and was thinking about picking some up. Let me know