• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
A friend of mine is considering one of these. He hunts bean fields and is wanting a flat-shooting rifle. I have no experience with this cartridge, but thought I would put this out and see what you guys think.

Your thoughts on the matter, please.

david

Re: .270 WSM

Does he reload? Ammo availability could be a problem if he doesn't. It would be an adequate caliber for his needs with the proper bullet. Have him look at the 25-06, great for beanfields!
Ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

Eddie

I love the 270 calibers, and the WSM is a good flat round. Federal makes ammo with the 110 grain Barnes Tipped TSX bullet. This load moving about 3500 fps would be a good flat shooter.
If he reloads, the Hornady SST bullets are great.

Thanks for the replies. I think this fellow is a factory ammo sort of guy. I was thinking along the lines of the 25-06 or maybe even a .260, myself. Problem with the .260 is that ammo is tough to find in my area.

Thanks again.

david

My 25-06 loves 80 gr TTSX with RL-22 at about 3550 fps. The whitetails not so much.
wink.gif

If he shoots factory ammo I think the 25-06 or 7mm-08 would fit the bill nicely.

I've shot a little of the HSM ammo loaded with Bergers out of mine and it is decent but if you want a 270 WSM to shine you have to reload.
I shoot 140 Bergers at 3300 and 140 Accubonds at 3341 and it will hit with authority out to 785 on deer I know so far and I dropped a couple elk under 400yrd with chest shots with the Bergers, I like it way better than the 300 WBY I was shooting before.
I also load 110gr TTSX at 3670fps for coyotes, haven't shot a deer with them yet though, coyotes don't twitch, I hit one back a little bit and it was DRT, I haven't had a coyote move yet when hit with the little TTSX.
In my experience the 270 WSM correctly loaded will run with the larger 6.5's as far as ballistics to some where in the 1000yrd range unless you run some of the custom Wildcat 169.5 gr bullets then the 270 WSM will run away from a lot of stuff.
I like 270 stuff but the 270 WSM is very awesome for hunting!!