• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300 mag reloads in you .308!!!

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
""Carlos Hathcock used a commercially purchased Wincester Model 70 bolt action rifle chambered for a .308 caliber round. He hand loaded his ammunition, and his hand loads became what is now the 300 magnum. After he was wounded in Vietnam, he was assigned to the Marine Corps shooting team in Camp Perry, OH, and his innovations led to the development of the Marine Corps' M40 sniper rifle, which is the first purpose built sniper rifle ever used by the Marines.
Source(s):
Fmr Sgt, USMC, firearms enthusiast, read the book on Gunny Hatcock""

So that was Gunny's trick! I knew there had to be a trick for him to be the top sniper of the war. I knew he couldn't be just that good! Using 300 mag loads when every other good guy sniper was stuck with 30-06's what a prankster!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070323173943AAaJwzN

NEWB/Rookie alert- refer to your published reloading manual. The printed diction here is utter BS and unsafe.

Re: 300 mag reloads in you .308!!!

Crap! you knew the secret too??
Well, for every advantage their is a disadvantage. I guess your case life is kinda short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
""Carlos Hathcock used a commercially purchased Wincester Model 70 bolt action rifle chambered for a .308 caliber round. He hand loaded his ammunition, and his hand loads became what is now the 300 magnum. After he was wounded in Vietnam, he was assigned to the Marine Corps shooting team in Camp Perry, OH, and his innovations led to the development of the Marine Corps' M40 sniper rifle, which is the first purpose built sniper rifle ever used by the Marines.
Source(s):
Fmr Sgt, USMC, firearms enthusiast, read the book on Gunny Hatcock""

So that was Gunny's trick! I knew there had to be a trick for him to be the top sniper of the war. I knew he couldn't be just that good! Using 300 mag loads when every other good guy sniper was stuck with 30-06's what a prankster!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070323173943AAaJwzN </div></div>

You posted this as a JOKE... Right??? Just need to be sure you didn't take that seriously.
What kind of MORON could actually be dumb enough to believe that!!! Let alone post it in Yahoo Answers!

Okay!
I couldn't get 74 grains of Re-22 to fit in a .308 case. SO I remeasured the charge and ran in my blender until it was pretty fine. I still could not get it all in. So back to my blender I went to make the powder finer. But something in the blender must of arc'd or sparked as the blender blew up.

How gunny did it I'll never know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How gunny did it I'll never know! </div></div>

I just cram the extra in the barrel and around the breach.

Its a secret that you learn in SS school.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just cram the extra in the barrel and around the breach. </div></div>

Beverage coming out my nose funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are gonna get some poor dumbass killed.LOL </div></div>

Hey...if he/she is that stupid, then the gene pool will have improved from their tragically stupid death!!!
wink.gif

+1 on the sarcasm font...I feel bad for anyone reading this and thinking it is anything but a good laugh!

Wellll, the info in that link was sure an eye opener and learning lesson for me!!! Guess I had things all screwed up as I understood it was a Winny first tour and an M40(that he invented after he was injured) the second tour??? I knew he was a tough lil f**ker but guess that came from packing Ma Deuce through da bushs everyday for miles.
smile.gif

Also one other knowitall "2,500'" hell it went from unbelievable to a 'chip shot' in a couple of postings, and some from a retired Marine. Hmmmmmm, my remembrance of facts yrs ago vs. my recollection now sure have me confused, think I will take a nap. Might help??????

Okay fine. I will edit in a NEWB alert to the original post.

I got the flu. I needed the laughs. Thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just cram the extra in the barrel and around the breach. </div></div>

Beverage coming out my nose funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Same here! Which is truly impressive, since I'm not drinking anything at the moment.
smile.gif

Well between this and the nut butter on the case neck trick I'll be sure and take the top spot at camp perry!

I've found the best way to get more powder into my .308 case is to "borrow" the wife's morter&pestel from the kitchen and grind up the powder into a fine dust. I then can pour the powder dust into the case and cram a bullet on top of it......

*Complete Sarcasm*

I just fill the entire case with powder and take a steel rod slightly smaller than the .30 diameter and smash the powder down by banging the steel rod with a hammer. Then seat the bullet.

dude,

You are a true dumb ass, you load up to 48grns set bullet, pull bullet and add more charge.

Even the most new loaded reloader knows the when you set the bullet it compresses the charge. Once pulled you have more room.

Why else did Lee make the Factory Crimp Die?

You Internet re-loaders do not know CRAP!!!!

John

So that was Gunny's trick! I knew there had to be a trick for him to be the<span style="font-weight: bold"> top sniper of the war.</span> </div></div>

fyi, Hathcock was not the top sniper of the war- he was third.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just a 14' drop tube on my funnel. </div></div>

I need one of those.........

this is good shit lol

man, you guys are going through a lot of work for the extra velocity. Grinding powder and using a ladder to reach that 14' drop tube? I just use 45gn of AA#5. Works every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My bolt lift is a little sticky with that load so I may want to drop it back 1gn or so. </div></div>

Screw that, just get a longer bolt handle.

best to use thinnest brass...more capacity!

I shouldnt give away this secret...but

you know those hones you get for car brake clynders well yuo can use them to open up your bullet chamber and get in more powder coz there is mor room no shit coz a guy who belongs to a supr secret shooting club where they shot groups under .00000000000000001 of inch told me this was so and so i tried it and now miy groups are smallr and gun runs coolr and clener and i get 4000 fps with my 308 an 200 grain bullets who neds a mangum my 308 is better

Or maybe not...God, do I need to add a disclaimer to this one?
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So that was Gunny's trick! I knew there had to be a trick for him to be the<span style="font-weight: bold"> top sniper of the war.</span> </div></div>

fyi, Hathcock was not the top sniper of the war- he was third. </div></div>

There is a difference between being top sniper of the war and having the most confirmd kills
wink.gif

Bram

I just close the bolt on a primed empty case and pour the powder down the barrel.Then all you got to do isn seat the bullet using a rod like a muzzle loader.
Bolt is a little tight sometimes but you sure can get that amount of powder down there..you should also see the chrono results!!!!