• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Lapua brass may be coming:

It's coming boys:

"Hi John,

Thank you for your email.

Lapua have added 300 PRC brass to their line up for 2021. The U.S. Lapua Distributor Capstone Precision in Missouri should have the same information, and be able to take an order, or direct you to a local agent of theirs.

Regards,

Keith Boyle
Senior Customer Service Consultant
NIOA
PO Box 191
Pinkenba Qld 4008 Australia
T +61 (0)7 3621 9999
[email protected]
www.nioa.com.au"

I was told basically the same thing.
Possibly getting a mass list of people pre-ordering from ONE vendor would speed things up. Grafs?
Lapua have added 300 PRC brass to their line up for 2021. Nioa does not yet have a delivery indication from Lapua, but they will more than likely collect, and collate orders before they will tool up to do a run of this brass. This could lead to delays initially. I can only recommend placing an order with your dealer, and getting your name on the list early. This will make sure you can get early, and then ongoing supply.

Regards,

Keith Boyle

NIOA

PO Box 191

T +61 (0)7 3621 9999

[email protected]

www.nioa.com.au

I was told basically the same thing.
Possibly getting a mass list of people pre-ordering from ONE vendor would speed things up. Grafs?
Lapua have added 300 PRC brass to their line up for 2021. Nioa does not yet have a delivery indication from Lapua, but they will more than likely collect, and collate orders before they will tool up to do a run of this brass. This could lead to delays initially. I can only recommend placing an order with your dealer, and getting your name on the list early. This will make sure you can get early, and then ongoing supply.

Regards,

Keith Boyle

NIOA

PO Box 191

T +61 (0)7 3621 9999

[email protected]

www.nioa.com.au

I sent a note to Capstone asking for clarification and if US customers may see the brass before SHOT.

Word is that Capstone should be sending out pricing by the end of the month to authorized dealers....this is much sooner than I would have thought. Maybe we should gauge interest here and see what type of preorder we can put together.

I'm good for 200 pieces to start.

Word is that Capstone should be sending out pricing by the end of the month to authorized dealers....this is much sooner than I would have thought. Maybe we should gauge interest here and see what type of preorder we can put together.

Just said that 2 posts earlier. I'm down for 200. I think Grafs is a big player with Lapua.

I received a reply from Tech Support. Appears Tech may not have the insight Sales would have:

"SHOT will likely be the announcement timeframe, possibly before but not likely. At this point, we don't have any info on when in 2021 we'll actually be seeing them or what the price point is. When we have a better feel for both of those things, we'll likely be letting dealers know for pre-orders etc but I'm not sure how all that works over on the Sales side of things."

I’d probably buy some, although I would love to be able to test the RCC before deciding.

I just purchased 10lbs of RL-26 off of Powder Valley....so you guys can get the rest :)

One of the great things at the moment of the 300 PRC is...I personally have found a ready supply of components both online and in stores. Today I go to Sportsman's Warehouse and they had atleast 30 boxes 1000ct of FGMM 215's on the shelf. I've been buying atleast 1 a week....they have a 1 box maximum per customer.....and I generally buy a box every time I'm in there. Price went up to $34.99...last month I paid $28.99. Still...not bad at all. Went over to grab a few boxes of 230gr A-Tips and both boxes match the lot#'s of the previous bullets I bought. They even had a few 1lb'ers of VV N565...but I've recently loaded up on that and Thursday I bought 10lbs of RL-26 on Powder Valley...so I think I'm good for a while.

I even bought a couple of boxes of 140gr ELD-M's because I have a few friends that are always complaining they can't find them. Almost bought a box of Lapua 308 brass....for next season's Factory Class Bench Rest....but decided I'll do that at a later date.

So....while everyone is complaining about the lack of 22lr and 9mm....I'm really enjoying shooting my 300PRC and seems to almost always have something available to reload it with.

Now...back to the 2k rounds of 308 I've been trudging through all week reloading.....

One of the great things at the moment of the 300 PRC is...I personally have found a ready supply of components both online and in stores. Today I go to Sportsman's Warehouse and they had atleast 30 boxes 1000ct of FGMM 215's on the shelf. I've been buying atleast 1 a week....they have a 1 box maximum per customer.....and I generally buy a box every time I'm in there. Price went up to $34.99...last month I paid $28.99. Still...not bad at all. Went over to grab a few boxes of 230gr A-Tips and both boxes match the lot#'s of the previous bullets I bought. They even had a few 1lb'ers of VV N565...but I've recently loaded up on that and Thursday I bought 10lbs of RL-26 on Powder Valley...so I think I'm good for a while.

I even bought a couple of boxes of 140gr ELD-M's because I have a few friends that are always complaining they can't find them. Almost bought a box of Lapua 308 brass....for next season's Factory Class Bench Rest....but decided I'll do that at a later date.

So....while everyone is complaining about the lack of 22lr and 9mm....I'm really enjoying shooting my 300PRC and seems to almost always have something available to reload it with.

Now...back to the 2k rounds of 308 I've been trudging through all week reloading.....

Basically nothing here in NoVA. Everything I've found was online except for some 215s I stumbled upon at a local shop.

Attachments

• IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 49
Had a few deliveries today while I was work...came home on a cool and rainy day...expected delivery tomorrow...but it was on my doorstep...and luckily nothing got wet....I've already opened one bottle of N565 for a speed node verification test tomorrow.

today.png

Are you working a load for the 225s with N565 and Retumbo?

I have a load at 75.0gr of Retumbo and 75.2gr of N565 that at the seating depth I have listed for my barrel...works pretty good for the 225's...however...I don't like to shoot the 300PRC less than 1mile...I will do it for 1000yd paper..but don't really like to...so I tend to use the 230 A-Tips.

For 1000 yd and in stuff...been working some loads up on a very old factory Remington 700 in 308 that continues to impress me. Some 168gr Match bullets that I bought in bulk from Everglades Ammo..back before the huge price increase....that load is shooting great.

Reactions: Defender3
Also....I ordered much more than what is pictured above...that is what they sent for my order....I only got charged for what they sent.

Went to the short range today and did some 100yd testing. I was reverifying a speed node......everyone put your drinks down so you don't get any on the monitor.....but I was reverifying the LOW node. Yes I dropped about 100fps and went down to the lower speed node. I know...crazy right? Anyway, it was right where I thought it was.....verified it at 75.0 grains of RL-26 with a muzzle velocity of 2866....which averaged very well with the later in the day seating depth testing.

After verifying my speed node I loaded up 3 rounds across 10 different seating depths....yep...that's a lot of testing on a barrel that has 1300+ rounds through it. I'll post the OAL measurements because my measurements using the comparator will be useless to you guys.

Bullet is the Hornady A-Tip 230gr. I started at 3.812" and moved about 5 thou out with each 3 shot group. The markings on the Wilson micrometer seating die equaled 1 thou...I just went longer 5 thou with most sets. I ended at my old seating depth of 3.860".

After a ton of seeing what I expected.....shot gun patterns when I was too close to the lands....and a smooth dialing in and getting smaller....I verified that 3.860" OAL is still exactly where my particular gun likes them to be...even after all this time.

After 35 shots today...well 34..because I excluded the first shot on a slightly wet bore....I averaged 2866fps, 2.7SD with an ES of 9.1. I don't think I can complain about that at all....or even expect better...even with a new barrel. FGMM 215s were used and held that SD very nice. ADG Brass 7x. Annealed.

So, brass is wet tumbling right now....next will be dried, annealed... full length resized, neck mandrel expanded, primer, 75.0gr of RL-26 and a 230 A-Tip seated at OAL 3.860".

Tomorrow...the long drive up to Thunder Valley Precision. I'll judge my accuracy at 1 mile...then hopefully take it out to 2200 and 2300 yards and see if I can make the blinky light go blinky!

And if it fails at long range....no worries...new barrel vise installed....new breaker bar and torque wrench purchased.....and new barrel on the way.

And no matter what....I'll have fun tomorrow...should be close to 80F and sunny.

Barrel length? (Curious because I feel I’m in a mid node at 2900)
I spent 200 rounds with H1000 and R26 with 28” Bartlein and 2900 was best with both powders using 230 hybrids. RL26 @ 76 gr. and H1000 @ 77 gr. (holds .3 MOA at 100, 1/2 minute at 500 with decent vertical)

Attachments

• 204E27BF-A24F-4C9D-869A-FEB27E5D4188.jpeg
    204E27BF-A24F-4C9D-869A-FEB27E5D4188.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 50
Barrel length? (Curious because I feel I’m in a mid node at 2900)
I spent 200 rounds with H1000 and R26 with 28” Bartlein and 2900 was best with both powders using 230 hybrids. RL26 @ 76 gr. and H1000 @ 77 gr. (holds .3 MOA at 100, 1/2 minute at 500 with decent vertical)

DellaDog,

Barrel is a 28" Bartlein with a 1-9 twist with over 1300 rounds through it. ADG Brass and Hornady A-Tips. I've found lighter weight bullets hitting pressure signs way earlier than these A-Tips. I have pushed the 230's well over 3k...but that is most likely stupid on my part. In the summer...I found my best loads were in the 2950fps range.

Reactions: DellaDog
Well....pretty good day at TVP today. Man was it beautiful. Great day to be at the range. 300PRC update.... 1 mile was like taking candy from a baby. Moved up to the new pavilion and made a second round hit at 2239yards....I thought I had missed....but it takes 3.5 seconds to get there....blinky light was so bright it almost put my eyes out....woo hoo!!! Next I dialed up to 2333 yds....there was like 500 black birds pecking at the ground around the target....I pull the trigger and 4 seconds later....all the birds take flight....but I never saw a splash.

Ground was pretty wet....no dust. I fired and fired and never saw splash.....so...I came back down to 2239....hit....back up to 2333...nothing.....so..if the blinky light was broken...I would never know if I hit that heavy target out there....and I had nobody with me to help spot. I could see trace get close...then nothing. So...no call :(

~1350 rounds through the 300PRC....still making 1 Mile shots fairly easy on an 18" plate.... 2239yd 36"x36" plate fairly easy...and no call on the 36x36 plate at 2333.....the 2444 was off limits today...so no joy there either.

Had a great time today though.....barrel still has life in it.....but will change it out when the new one arrives.

During 1 Mile GBA Benchrest matches....our sighters are done on 4" clays to the left of the target....to help dial in wind first...then elevation...every now and then you hit 1 or 2 and that makes your head so big....you can't get it in the car for the ride home that day :)

Reactions: Epsilon and jasent
I think the mile shoot here in VA is 36x36. You have to have two hits at 775y and two at 1260y before they'll let you try the 1760y target. I was going to shoot it with my .260, but a new barrel was delayed 7 months and I bought the 300PRC, so I'll cheat and make it easy. :)

During 1 Mile GBA Benchrest matches....our sighters are done on 4" clays to the left of the target....to help dial in wind first...then elevation...every now and then you hit 1 or 2 and that makes your head so big....you can't get it in the car for the ride home that day :)

We shoot 4" clays at 1035 at Quantico, it's boring. ;)

Reactions: b2lee
We shoot 4" clays at 1035 at Quantico, it's boring. ;)

Not boring with my 308....hell...hitting the 12" plate with the 308 at 1000yds on a windy day can get interesting some times...I've been known to drop below 50% on that....wait....did I just say a 308 can make hits past 800 yards?.....blasphemy ...heh

• Haha
Reactions: jasent
168 SMKs do not perform here past 800y, must be the bearing surface as the Hornadys seem to work. The 260 at 1000y makes you look like a genius with your wind calls.

168 SMKs do not perform here past 800y, must be the bearing surface as the Hornadys seem to work. The 260 at 1000y makes you look like a genius with your wind calls.

I'm shooting some 168 Match from Everglades Ammo. They do ok at 1000yds...but at 1100 they start getting frustrating. On a 12" plate you can be 4" right...Hit.... 6" left......6" right....1" high.....2" low....4" right...Hit....all with a dead center hold. 1200yd plate is just a little wider misses than that. Really frustrating...but that's why I built the 300PRC...to make those shots automatic....boring even.

Reactions: Defender3
action.png

Spun off barrel....removed scope...removed chassis....going to clean everything up. After ~1350 rounds...the barrel still looks really good. Letting it soak over night filled with Boretech Carbon Remover....then a good scrub...but it was already almost a mirror finish. Barrel looks better than every other rifle I own.

When new one arrives...I'll put it on...confirm if it has the same velocity and seating depth node....shoot it until it stops speeding up...and then put the old one back on for practice sessions.

Lived in Baghdad, AZ at one time. They said it wasn’t the end on the world but you could see it from there. Actually really enjoyed living there. NICE SHOOTING

Reactions: JB.IC
Anyone used the berger 200.20x hybrid?

Considering trying it out but worried it will barely be in the neck near the lands. Seems to have a really long nose and short bearing surface

Was playing around a little last weekend. Initial results with RL-26 and the 37" barrel with 225's didn't really impress for speed. Not sure what was up, probably just a fresh barrel (was the first thing I tried). I had switched to shooting Retumbo with 250 A-tips, and it was okay. Like 7 or 8 of 10 would rock and roll but 2-3 would go a bit wonky. Sub-MOA, but kinda mehh. Anyway Covid killed the local ELR stuff and I put the 300 on the back burner ever since. I've been doing large sample size testing with 6.5 Creedmoor and the results there show that optimum accuracy is achieved with mild charges (like .5-1.5gr under max book load, or less) so I figured I'd try RL-26 at 71gr and see what happened.

Hornady Virgin Cases
Fed 215
250 A-tip @ 3.745"
71gr RL-26
37" Bartlein 5R 1:8.5" MTU

15 Shots
2849fps Avg.
27 ES, 8 SD
1.37" group @ 200yd (.65 MOA)

A single data point in this cartridge, but seems to be flier-free and pretty tight. I know everyone wants speed, but my testing in the 6.5 Creedmoor shows 20-35 shot groups going from just over .5 MOA @ 1-2gr under book max up to 0.8-1.2 MOA at book max. Going over book max has produced 1.3-3 MOA results, indicating "high nodes" don't exist. Not for that barrel anyway. That's with 6 different powders. Only 2 or 3 shot very well (The usual suspects, RL-16, H4350, H4831). All of them trended worse with increasing powder charge past a certain threshold. SD was more tied to powder type than powder charge. In other words, H4350 always produced 8-10 fps SD's, regardless if it was 40gr, 43gr, or anywhere in between.

Anyway, moral of the story is I dropped the dispersion irregularity considerably in exchange for 90fps at the muzzle. I intend to play with hit probability calculators here at some point to see if speed is ever worth it. My initial thought is "No". Tighter dispersion will help until the point that MV spreads string out the vertical axis and my ES/SD numbers didn't change dramatically.

Happy to report my little 24" barrel sped up and is now slinging 225s at 2900 with 74.2gr of RL26. 208s at 3000 with 76.5gr And 250 Atips at 2800 with 75.5.

Happy to report my little 24" barrel sped up and is now slinging 225s at 2900 with 74.2gr of RL26. 208s at 3000 with 76.5gr And 250 Atips at 2800 with 75.5.

how in the f$&@!!!

I think RL26 is magical

My 21” broke 3k with a 215 :p

my 29” Bartlein can only get to 2830fps with slight pressure. I’m using n565 but I guess I should have went with n570. Well apparently RL26....

Edit. with 230 Berger hybrids. I feel like my TL3 LA shows pressure early.

Last edited:
my 29” Bartlein can only get to 2830fps with slight pressure. I’m using n565 but I guess I should have went with n570. Well apparently RL26....
So much of it is voodoo, is it powder, bullet, barrel, bore size, action, brass, all of it?

I’d imagine I got a fast barrel, who knows.

So much of it is voodoo, is it powder, bullet, barrel, bore size, action, brass, all of it?

I’d imagine I got a fast barrel, who knows.

forgot to say with the 230 Berger hybrids. I’ll edit it