• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 308 Throat Length

JayCarver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Hello,

I'm having my 308 re-barreled and I'm just thinking about throat length.

My factory Rem700 barrel had the typical long throat so I mainly shot 175smk's due to there tolerance of jumping to the lands. However I did load up some 185gr and 190 VLD's but needed to seat them out just off the lands for them to shoot good therefor single loading them. I did however like the better performance when shooting out to 1000-1200 yds.

So is it possible to have a throat that would allow the VLD's to be seated to mag length or would the bullet be seated back past the shoulder/neck junction anyways.

If this was possible would the freebore be too short for 175 smk's?

Thanks for your help!!!

Re: 308 Throat Length

I'd load a round the length you want, send it with the gun to your smith and then have them cut the throat as necessary

Chamber dimensions

Here is what one of my match chambers looks like for Length to Ogive.

Attachments

• chamber.jpg
    chamber.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 28
Ok, so I got away from work for a bit to make up some dummy rounds...

I seated the bullets @ 2.800" which leaves 0.085" of room for throat erosion .

I'm going to forget about magazine feeding the 185gr vld's. Seated to mag length the Ogive was inside the case neck! lol

As for the SMK's and Amax the base to ogive was:

175gr SMK = 2.0970"
178gr Amax= 2.0800"

So 17 thou diff, pretty close.

Whats your thoughts? I'm thinking just throat for the SMK's as they don't seem to mind the jump anyways.

Maybe I'm over thinking this WAY too much, idk. I just don't want to have any regrets with this build.