• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor (M24 "clone" build) - Custom Action vs Re-bedded Rem 700

LecsSpecs.

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2020
I'm going to be doing an M24 "clone" rifle build. While it will be a clone in looks - I am considering chambering in 6.5 Creedmoor simply for the elevated ballistics (while retaining ammo avaiability). This has me going in the direction of a full custom build - starting with a custom precision action, barrel, stock, mag, trigger, etc. landing me with a full percision rifle. A pretty cool rig I think.

I am wondering what yall's thoughts were on a build like this or if anyone has done something similar and has some experience/wisdom to bestow on me.

However, at the same time - something doesn't feel quite right about building an M24 in anything but .308. So, the alternative to the above build (and my original consideration) is to buy a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD .308 and re-bed the rifle in a the M24 stock with a local gunsmith. This route has the advantage of being more affordable and closer to a real "clone" but lacking the precision performance of a full custom build with a higher BC round.

I have put money aside for this rifle over time and can afford either build, but the question is - should I? Would a custom precision 6.5 creed rifle really be much better than a re-bedded .308? should it be done in an M24 "clone"?

Thoughts?

Thank you -

Build your custom rig if you have the money. You can spend the same or more on a clone and you’ll still just have a Remington 700. No matter what you do or spend it will never be a m24. Depending on your shooting ability a good shooting r700 with a good load might be capable of better accuracy than you are. I’ve seen quite a few shoot .3moa. It doesn’t make too much difference if I shoot my custom rig or one of my better remys. I can’t seem to do much better than.4-.5moa. I know my rigs shoot better because I’ve had my buddy out shoot me with my own stuff. You’ll have to answer that question yourself. I’d build a nice full custom rig or buy a real m24. Just my humble opinion

Just build the rifle you want. Forget M24 or clone etc. You want a 6.5 then build one. Those HS stocks are down the list in quality. Get something better.

I would advise to get a Bighorn Origin action for $825 and then get a pre fit barrel from Patriot Valley Arms. Good part about this is that you could get a barrel in .308 and 6.5 so when you have to feel "clonish" you can put the .308 one on. LOL Then you have the 6.5 when you want better ballistics.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Just build the rifle you want. Forget M24 or clone etc. You want a 6.5 then build one. Those HS stocks are down the list in quality. Get something better.

I would advise to get a Bighorn Origin action for $825 and then get a pre fit barrel from Patriot Valley Arms. Good part about this is that you could get a barrel in .308 and 6.5 so when you have to feel "clonish" you can put the .308 one on. LOL Then you have the 6.5 when you want better ballistics.
That’s damn good advice there. I went with a tenacity with tt diamond and pva cut rifling 6.5cm with area419 hellfire brake and it’s in a whiskey 3 chassis. I would have got a origin but I wanted a stainless action for that build.