• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30BR

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Looks like the 30BR project is gonna happen after all.

All that's still needed is the brass, and I'm looking hard at ordering Lapua 6mmBR brass sometime over the next few weeks. Everything else, including the necessary widgets to neck up and prep the brass is already onhand.

I'm wondering if anybody else here is shooting this chambering (besides JDA, Sr), and what data they've been using with success. Assume a barrel length of around 23" and a target distance at 200-250yd.

I already have load data for the 125gr Speer TNT, a good stock of HDY 110 V-Max, and several hundred SRA 125gr Flat Base SMK's on order.

The initial powder of choice is IMR-4198, and I am also running a parallel load developement project using the 7.62(.308 Diameter)x39.

Greg

Re: 30BR

I've been using a 30BR for 4 years now and really like it. Loads are reasonably easy to find. I'm currently running Cheek 112 and 118's, 3050 fps with 34.0 ish H-4198, Bartlein 17 twist @ 26". I've yet to lose a piece of brass with this load, 24 loadings and still going strong.

A couple guys I shoot with have also had really good success with RL-7, don't know their load data, but they used Quickload to develop their loads.

FWIW, you might want to take look over at 6mmBR.com
( http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html#reloading ), they have quite a bit of info.

I use 4198 with various bullets in a drop port Viper with an 18 twist Krieger. It shoots Bib 112 7 ogives,Cheek 115 9 ogives, and Conley 116 7 ogives well.I have done best with the Conley's using 34.7 grains of 4198.
Lots of good information here;
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/30br/
For short range score shooting 30BR is the most popular cartridge .It is inherently accurate and efficient.Brass and barrels last almost forever.
We have periodic love bug hatches here in East Texas. Normally I hate them ,but next hatch,I am going to set up some white paper targets out at 100 and 200 and load up a bunch of Berger 115's and set in my garage and have a love bug shoot with my 30BR.Based on the scores it will shoot, I am figuring I can hit a fly in the head about 18-21 times out of 25. Hey it ain't prairie dogs, but I have not been dreading a love bug hatch since this occurred to me!!

Been looking really hard at getting one... local BR crowd is hard-core Hunter BR / VFS, and they've been trying to lure me over to the dark side for a couple years now. Shooting with a 6x scope doesn't appeal to me, but shooting score does. We've got a good BR gunsmith in the area (Greg Swezey) willing to work with me on a Savage platform, some local guys making good 112-118gn bullets, and I've got a barrel certificate for a Rock Creek barrel. Hoping to get something ordered here soon. In the mean time I'll probably just shoot out my 6 Dasher getting the hang of things.

There is an article in this months Precisions Shooting about the 30 br. i will see if i can pick out the components for you. I also have a friend that competes with it the only think i know about his set up is that he shoots bib 118s in a 17 twist. I will see what else i can gather. he shoots out to 300 with it for score and group.

My barrel is built on a freebie .308 barrel blank with a semi rough bore that already has a 1:10" twist. It finished out for the Savage with a length of about 23". So I'm pretty locked into these numbers, regardless of any preferences.

The fellow who did my barrel did some load development; and gave me some very reasonable load specs from his own testing. My barrel (and another) was/were (a) proto for his own. He is suggesting 125's. I'm leaning toward 125SMKs and also looking at the 110 V-Max.

Until I get my ducks lined up, I have done some preliminary development work with a nice, tight little Savage Scout rifle in 7.62x39, also with a .308 bore.

If fortune smiles, this will likely become my Granddaughter's first FV200/250 match rifle. I suspect she harbors a growing enmity toward Zombies, as well...

My crystal ball is cloudy, but I just may be catching vague glimpses of a Zombie Match or two in the coming year. No prone, multiple targets, short time limits, perhaps suited for AK's, AR's, and the like. Maybe an additional precision stage suited for bolt guns, etc. Perhaps a two-shooter team, one shooter tasked for one discipline, the second for the other?

Greg

The article suggest bullet weights from 112-125, as your barrel is already locked in we can move on but they suggest 17 to 20 twist based on bullet length of 1.1inches to .95inches
Powder is h-4198 or N-130
brass is lapua.

have fun
Trevor

Two blue boxes of Lapua 6mmBR Norma brass arrived over the W/E. Two pounds of IMR-4198, and 300 HDY 110 V-Max are onhand, with 200 125SMK's on order for later this week. Also have some SRA 125gr Pro-Hunters on the bench.

Barrel has been fitted by someone who's a lot more astute about these things than I; and the barreled receiver awaits GunKote work.

The garage loading bench is in shutdown mode for the Winter (woke to 1*F yesterday), and is probably in its worst case of disarray in years.

Spring cleaning will be extensive this coming year. Actually, the entire garage needs a cleanout, will be ordering a dumpster once the weather clears.

Greg