• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Creedmoor / 8.6 Creedmoor

Danilo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
so... Q has been posted some random IG stories of a 8.6 silencer being made. and today this post (pic) showing their "Fix" Rifle with silencers and the caliber is 8.6CM or 338CM.
Anyone know anything else? Maybe someone at SHOT will see something at Hornady.
Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 4.54.31 PM.png

What are the goals for this round? Will there be factory subsonic ammo available? Long range capable? Primarily for hunting?

What are the goals for this round? Will there be factory subsonic ammo available? Long range capable? Primarily for hunting?
Goals for 8.6CM are to become the big brother, essentially, of 300BLK. Awesome supersonic and subsonic performance out of a short barrel. Expanding subsonic. Accuracy. Functioning of gas guns with both supersonic and subsonic ammo. Lethal. More energy with the supersonic out of a short barrel than 308 out of a long barrel.

Yes, Hornady and others (likely everyone), will make the ammo.

Long range? Not "long", but long enough for most things.

Hunting. Targeting shooting. Silently shooting.

What is going to be optimum barrel length? Less than 16” ??

And partnering for a quality LPV, FFP optic, BDC reticle and adjustable turrets would be outstanding.

In many ways it seems to me in a similar fashion of 300/338 win mag, but short action and sub sonic goodness on top of it. Definitely excited to see what comes of this, and how heavy of subs we can get away with. Bigger bullet can do wonders.

Reactions: Millron
Just when your sure you don't need another rifle then something like this comes along. Hopefully they will get the "can" to market first so we can get that ordered and waiting. Very interested to see where this goes.

What bolt face and action length would this cartridge use? Also what barrel length and twist rate have produced the best results?

Last edited:
The barrel life on this should be amazing, just guessing but I would expect well over 12k! If the factory ammo becomes as plentiful as 6mm creedmoor I’ll definately get a barrel spun up.

Any info on the supersonic loads?

Reactions: Kevin Brittingham
The barrel life on this should be amazing, just guessing but I would expect well over 12k! If the factory ammo becomes as plentiful as 6mm creedmoor I’ll definately get a barrel spun up.

Any info on the supersonic loads?

250-330gr. expanding subsonic. It's life changing.

Reactions: Danilo
This might be what pushes me to get a supressor, but obviously the current advice of buy a 30 cal can for all your guns wont work. Would a 338 can still attenuate the report of a much smaller caliber, like 6mm and .223?

This might be what pushes me to get a supressor, but obviously the current advice of buy a 30 cal can for all your guns wont work. Would a 338 can still attenuate the report of a much smaller caliber, like 6mm and .223?
Yes. I ordered a TBAC 338 Ultra for my magnums but it outperforms the .30 cal Ultra-9 on a 300WM in Ray's testing, and on everything else it's tried on.

Reactions: jram
Still interested in this, but I did just buy a .30 Full Nelson.

Will you guys be releasing a .338 can soon?

I can't wait to get a fix in 8.6. I'll most likely put my CQBSS 1-8 on it, and cant help but wonder if I could fire subs through my .45 Ti-Rant on a 12" bbl? That would be cool and lightAF!

I've hunted using a 338-06 with 185gr Barnes TTSX bullets at about 2800fps. The devastation on wild boar was extreme. It was as if the pig swallowed a hand grenade (see below).

If you plan on doing range shooting, the recoil without a muzzle device is equally extreme. When my guide wanted to buy the rifle from me, I gladly sold it to him.

Attachments

• P3020018.JPG
    P3020018.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 398
I can't wait to get a fix in 8.6. I'll most likely put my CQBSS 1-8 on it, and cant help but wonder if I could fire subs through my .45 Ti-Rant on a 12" bbl? That would be cool and lightAF!

I mean, you can do 300 Blk subs through the Ti-Rant 45. So... Por que no los dos?

Pretty much every first focal plane reticle is cartridge specific. That's why we get dope for our specific bullet, twist, and velocity etc
The 300 blk reticle in the Leupold scope works very well.
And good luck remembering your holds for subsonic ammo while doing any kind of practical shooting/hunting.

The 300 blk reticle in the Leupold scope works very well.
And good luck remembering your holds for subsonic ammo while doing any kind of practical shooting/hunting.
Well if I were to do that I'd remember or have it written...just like in every stage in every match...

Reactions: Dirty D
You know in real life you don't get to do a walk through, range find, and data book check before you shoot. Things are. Quicker.

Edit. I think some people don't realize the drop from 50-300 yards of a subsonic cartridge.

Last edited:
You know in real life you don't get to do a walk through, range find, and data book check before you shoot. Things are. Quicker.
If you're a good hunter you've ranged several objects in lines of sight and will be able to get pretty damn close with a scoped rifle, let alone say a slug gun

And if the target is farther and you can't either get closer or get a solid range...well then I couldnt help you

Has this round been submitted to SAMMI yet? I have an extra 700 that I’d love to get a barrel spun up in 8.6 creedmoor.

Obviously I’d need dies and brass too

Any idea how fast this would sling a 285gr eld out of a 16” Barrel?

Listened to the latest Q&A$$ podcast and it sounded like it would be a 1:1 or 1:2 twist rate.....
That sounds stoooopid fast but I was talking subsonics with Pete Gould and he said that DoD is and has been playing with subsonics and having very good results with very high twist rates that would tear up most bullets at supersonic MV's.

edited to correct autocorrect

That sounds stoooopid fast but I was talking subsonics with Pete Gould and he said that DoD is and has been playing with subsonics and having very good results with very high twist rates that would tear up most bullets at supersonic MV's.

edited to correct autocorrect
Relistened to the podcast. He starts talking about the 8.6 @34:30. Supers will be between 150-180gr, subs will be 250-350gr. Twist is between 1:1-1:3, not 1:2, still sounds crazy fast.
Sounds like Q and Hornady are doing a lot of r&d so they release all info to SAAMI and manufacturers.
Seems like they are concentrating around a 12.5” barrel. Hopefully 16” barrels will be developed to support those of us that don’t want a pistol or SBR.

@Kevin Brittingham did Facebook nuke the the_official_q page? I typed in the page in the FB search bar and the page wouldn't come up, Akdodge88's page came up and the_official_q was in the text of his page but a dead link. WTF FB?

Reactions: DangerRanger