• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 AR Only Loads

To the guys loading with Fed 205MAR primers.
I have reduced power hammer and trigger springs in all of my equipment.
Do you know or have experience with such? Or should I get the 205M?
Getting ready to "pull the trigger" on some primers. OK . . . dumb joke I know!

Restore all springs to factory weights and instead buy a good match trigger. There is no reason for light springs.

Reactions: xsn10s and simonp
Regarding the Federal 205 primers.
We have the 205M and the 205MAR.
The MAR is marketed for AR. Is this Federals answer to the #41 primer?
Annnd . . . does anyone know if using magnum primers for .223/5.56 will
cause premature barrle burnout or excessive wear on FCG?
Sorry for the barrage of questions but that's what newbies are known for.
Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Regarding the Federal 205 primers.
We have the 205M and the 205MAR.
The MAR is marketed for AR. Is this Federals answer to the #41 primer?
Yes it is. I'm not sure if the 205MAR is as hot as the cci 41 though??? The #41 is a magnum primer.

Ok I might have a chronograph giving me a bad reading. But two three shot groups of 53 gr vmax, over 25.0 gr Benchmark, Winchester case, WSR white box primer giving me 3284 fps from 20" HBAR 1-9". No pressure signs. This is the second time I've gotten this velocity reading. I'm just checking to see if anyone else has gotten close to this velocity. I got these readings in party cloud to cloudy skies. I'll try again when it's better lighting.

Ok I might have a chronograph giving me a bad reading. But two three shot groups of 53 gr vmax, over 25.0 gr Benchmark, Winchester case, WSR white box primer giving me 3284 fps from 20" HBAR 1-9". No pressure signs. This is the second time I've gotten this velocity reading. I'm just checking to see if anyone else has gotten close to this velocity. I got these readings in party cloud to cloudy skies. I'll try again when it's better lighting.
Sounds about right to me. 25 grains is just getting started with benchmark and a 53 grain bullet!!!

Reactions: xsn10s
Looking back on my notes for Benchmark and the 53 VMAX…..
20” Bartlein 1:7.7 4 groove… Winchester match prepped brass and Wolf SRP…. COL set at 2.260”

25.1 gr = 3177 fps, SD = 5
25.4 gr = 3222 fps, SD = 13
25.7 gr = 3258 fps, SD = 17
26.0 gr = 3294 fps, SD = 20
26.3 gr = 3338 fps, SD = 14
26.5 gr = 3361 fps, SD = 10

Things were a little spicy at the end…. LOL

Looking back on my notes for Benchmark and the 53 VMAX…..
20” Bartlein 1:7.7 4 groove… Winchester match prepped brass and Wolf SRP…. COL set at 2.260”

25.1 gr = 3177 fps, SD = 5
25.4 gr = 3222 fps, SD = 13
25.7 gr = 3258 fps, SD = 17
26.0 gr = 3294 fps, SD = 20
26.3 gr = 3338 fps, SD = 14
26.5 gr = 3361 fps, SD = 10

Things were a little spicy at the end…. LOL
AR15 or bolt rifle?

Many people just won't put the work into ar ammo. And they are slightly harder to shoot.

I was going to build a 223 bolt gun.

Now I probably never will.

Reactions: xsn10s and simonp
Many people just won't put the work into ar ammo. And they are slightly harder to shoot.

I was going to build a 223 bolt gun.

Now I probably never will.
I'd still like to build a 223 bolt gun. Easier on the brass, can load a bit hotter, less dangerous if something goes wrong. AR15 failures can be pretty exciting. Besides it's easier to load heavy bullets like the 75 ELDM in a bolt rifle.

Reactions: Snuby642
I'd still like to build a 223 bolt gun. Easier on the brass, can load a bit hotter, less dangerous if something goes wrong. AR15 failures can be pretty exciting. Besides it's easier to load heavy bullets like the 75 ELDM in a bolt rifle.
It's a lot if fun to have a 223 bolt gun. The tiny groups are cool too and it's just so fun to shoot. You won't regret it

It's a lot if fun to have a 223 bolt gun. The tiny groups are cool too and it's just so fun to shoot. You won't regret it
Yup it's on the short list. I need to sell off some firearms I'm not really using for family priorities and get gear that I need. A 223 bolt rifle, a LR elk rifle, optics LPVO or red dot, all are on the short list.

And they are slightly harder to shoot.
I have found this to be the case as well. It's not exceptionally more difficult... But it isn't as "natural" as a bolt gun.

"They're harder to aim" might be the only true statement that the Retard in Chief ever made about AR-15's.

Mike

Agreed it takes a lot more focus and work for this old man to shoot an AR at twice the group size of a precision bolt gun. Shooting a GAP built .308 bolt action gun is easy.

I am working on loads for the RMR 75 grain hollow hp. Found a sweet spot at 24.1 grains of Tac, wolf SRM primers and prepped once fired LC brass. Across several guns I am getting consistent groups.

FYi : I ran a group of 5 X 5 for New build ,along with 5X3 intentional spp srp smrp with #3 different powders Extreme spread ran 72 Fps .
Load examples BLC-2 , 26.5 gr. Varget 25.6 , N140 25.6 W/55 gr. pills . All behaved and stayed on paper . As this was multi purpose ,small rifle case goes bang with any primer ,velocity varies as I should imagine small pressure variation would also . I had lose primers lying around of various manufacturers and wanted to dispose of the orphans . I was simply putting rounds down stream for function and later with known loads for barrel assessment and scope zeroing .
I wouldn't recommend doing hodge podge primers at LR but most certainly didn't hurt at 165 yd .

Attachments

• VV  556X45mm grouped very well 04072023.jpg
    VV 556X45mm grouped very well 04072023.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Checking loads 556X45mm 04072023.jpg
    Checking loads 556X45mm 04072023.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Walking POA 556X45mm 04072023.jpg
    Walking POA 556X45mm 04072023.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Balor and simonp
FYi : I ran a group of 5 X 5 for New build ,along with 5X3 intentional spp srp smrp with #3 different powders Extreme spread ran 72 Fps .
Load examples BLC-2 , 26.5 gr. Varget 25.6 , N140 25.6 W/55 gr. pills . All behaved and stayed on paper . As this was multi purpose ,small rifle case goes bang with any primer ,velocity varies as I should imagine small pressure variation would also . I had lose primers lying around of various manufacturers and wanted to dispose of the orphans . I was simply putting rounds down stream for function and later with known loads for barrel assessment and scope zeroing .
I wouldn't recommend doing hodge podge primers at LR but most certainly didn't hurt at 165 yd .
...I found that reference to using small pistol primer (spp) interesting.

...I found that reference to using small pistol primer (spp) interesting.

I had some lose primers lying about and decided to use them . I had already filled ammo boxes and had NO room for spares ,so I hopefully have dispelled the myth about spp srp and smrp I would suspect smpp would do the same . Larger cases and tubular powder could be very problematic ,as dependable burn relies on proper cone ignition and BAD things would more than likely occur .
Small case as long as there';s sufficient powder ,not much chance of error .

Been anticipating this test for a while. Rain wind, screw it, on to the lab. (50 yards) could not wait any longer.

Well going to like 69's over tac.
Deciding which one is harder than usual.

Also found my 1/2 inch discrepancy in math.
Something about adding 1/2 inch more riser under the scope maybe. Lol

20230423_124540.jpg

Well back at the 69g SMK over Tac.
Looks like the 23.6g is the winner.
Now for the bad news.

I have had 3 failures to feed, one last week and two this trip.
Bullet all beat up not in battery. A defining click of silence.
A couple other loads near book max in 52g and 55g preform well under moa
and have not malfunctioned.

Come to think of it a couple different failures to lock back on empty mag also.
Which leads me to believe the 69g needs more gas than the lighter bullets?
It seems backwards to me but yes the are moving much faster. (400 fps faster)

Anyway the handguard will have to be drilled or notched to get to the adjustment screw. Pita

One pix has the first cold wet bore, I forgot to foul it.
And two different sides of the failure to feed bullets.

These were shot at 50 yards from a bench with bags.

20230517_110611.jpg

20230517_110342.jpg

Reactions: Ex E6 and simonp
Well back at the 69g SMK over Tac.
Looks like the 23.6g is the winner.
Now for the bad news.

I have had 3 failures to feed, one last week and two this trip.
Bullet all beat up not in battery. A defining click of silence.
A couple other loads near book max in 52g and 55g preform well under moa
and have not malfunctioned.

Come to think of it a couple different failures to lock back on empty mag also.
Which leads me to believe the 69g needs more gas than the lighter bullets?
It seems backwards to me but yes the are moving much faster. (400 fps faster)

Anyway the handguard will have to be drilled or notched to get to the adjustment screw. Pita

One pix has the first cold wet bore, I forgot to foul it.
And two different sides of the failure to feed bullets.

These were shot at 50 yards from a bench with bags.

View attachment 8143287

View attachment 8143290
I wonder if trying a different mag will help. I had something simular happen with some of my 53 gr vmax loads. After looking I'm sure my mag spring is on the weak side. Changed mags and running fine.

Reactions: Balor
Started working with TAC,73 grain ELD-X bullets, Capital Cartridge 5.56 brass, and federal 205MAR primers.

I have some factory Hornady 5.56 Match ammo with 73 grain ELDX that I chronographed at 3050 out of a 24” Stag Arms 1:8 barrel. It had a repeatable ES of less than 20 fps.

My load so far with a 24”1:7 twist Krieger barrel is 25.1 grains of Tac at 3040 fps with a 17FPS ES. Western powders lists max load for the 75 grain Hornady bullet as 25.8 (they don’t have the 73 grain bullet). Is this too hot? Anyone else use this bullet?

Started working with TAC,73 grain ELD-X bullets, Capital Cartridge 5.56 brass, and federal 205MAR primers.

I have some factory Hornady 5.56 Match ammo with 73 grain ELDX that I chronographed at 3050 out of a 24” Stag Arms 1:8 barrel. It had a repeatable ES of less than 20 fps.

My load so far with a 24”1:7 twist Krieger barrel is 25.1 grains of Tac at 3040 fps with a 17FPS ES. Western powders lists max load for the 75 grain Hornady bullet as 25.8 (they don’t have the 73 grain bullet). Is this too hot? Anyone else use this bullet?
What length you loading at. Makes a pretty big difference.
That said I went up to 25.8 Tac with the 73 eldm in a 18" AR loaded @2.294 oal without issue speed was 2960. No pressure issues but I'd consider that a Snipers Hide top end load.

What length you loading at. Makes a pretty big difference.
That said I went up to 25.8 Tac with the 73 eldm in a 18" AR loaded @2.294 oal without issue speed was 2960. No pressure issues but I'd consider that a Snipers Hide top end load.
2.250” COL. CBTOL 1.818”

Yeah I shot it a lot and then moved to the 77 for AR just to get a consistent bullet for 3 rifles but I still shoot the 75 hpbt in my 223 bolt gun. I shoot 25.2gr in the bolt gun and a little less in the ar. It's fairly hot but I could go a little more. I'd be careful getting up there close to 26 though

Reactions: 232593
Yeah I shot it a lot and then moved to the 77 for AR just to get a consistent bullet for 3 rifles but I still shoot the 75 hpbt in my 223 bolt gun. I shoot 25.2gr in the bolt gun and a little less in the ar. It's fairly hot but I could go a little more. I'd be careful getting up there close to 26 though
25.1 grains gives me all the capability I need for that platform. Is that 25.2 with a 73 grain ELDX

Don't you just love a company that advertises stuff for 5 years before you can get any.

There are many dissapointing results using Hornady bullets for me.

I still use two specific bullets from them that I haven't found a replacement for but I am looking.

Reactions: hellzna
Tested the 25.1 grains of Ramshot TAC with CC brass, Fed 205 Ms, and the 73 grain ELD when it was 109 degrees out. I didn’t see any serious pressure signs on the brass and everything held 5.5 inches at 550 meters.

Reactions: Snuby642
5.56... LC...

223 match for bolt gun....Lapua
I have had pretty good results with LC & 77 grain TMKs. However I can’t seem to find any new unfired stuff lately so I’ve had to make do with CC brass,

What’s everyone’s preferred 5.56 brass?
Fire formed LC brass or Starline, Id probably say I prefer Starline going forward just because the LC - you never really know if what you are buying is once fired or 10x fired, some of it is great to go and some of it requires a lot more prep, sort of getting to the point where Id prefer to buy 2-4k of Starline and know exactly what I am getting.

All the LC 5.56 brass I’ve ever bought was once fired. You can tell because the crimped primers were still in.
I prefer match prepped LC because of the cost (cheap), availability and general toughness.

Wet tumble, cut the crimps out, anneal, resize, Giraud trim, flash hole deburr…. Pretty much ready to go!

Lapua makes 5.56 brass?
5.56/223 brass interchangeable. Just because it says one or the other doesn’t mean you can’t use it in the other. Lapua 223 brass is just as good if not better than any 5.56 labeled brass, no matter how hot the load.

From starlines site

When loaded at .223 Remington pressures, Starline’s .223 brass is safe to use in any firearm chambered for .223 or 5.56x45mm. If loaded to 5.56 pressures, you need to use firearms labeled for use with 5.56mm. It can be unsafe to fire 5.56mm ammunition in firearms with a .223 Remington chamber.

From starlines site

When loaded at .223 Remington pressures, Starline’s .223 brass is safe to use in any firearm chambered for .223 or 5.56x45mm. If loaded to 5.56 pressures, you need to use firearms labeled for use with 5.56mm. It can be unsafe to fire 5.56mm ammunition in firearms with a .223 Remington chamber.
This is the part I found interesting on Starline's site. I only buy their 5.56 Brass.

"Starline’s 5.56x45mm brass is identical to Starline’s .223 Remington brass except for a slight change in the metallurgy making it harder at the base of the case."