• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

5R Rifling

Re: 5R Rifling

The short answer is yes, but there's quite a bit of information that you need to know about the 5R rifling that I can't easily explain here. My Rem 5R in 308 will shoot 3/8" groups at 100-yards with Fed Gold Medal Match 168-gr SMK, and I'm certain the rifle could do even better, if I could shoot better.

The 5R (R=Russian) has tapered lands like a trapezoid. The Conventional 4 or 6 groove have lands that are much squarer. We have seen no difference in barrel life or accuracy between the two in most circumstances. One theory about the benefits of the 5R is that you have a land opposing a groove. Theoretically, this should distort the bullet less as it it not being squeezed between two lands and should be more accurate. The major benefit of the 5R is that there is no "corner" where the land meets the groove. This attracts less fouling and any fouling that does build up is easier to clean.

We have seen some accuracy issues with short bearing surface/light for caliber bullets. These are mainly Benchrest and/or varmint bullets, 110 Grain .308, 40 grain .224 and 62 Grain 6mm. It is my belief that these short jacket, small bearing surface bullets actually need too be "squeezed" a little, to obtain a proper seal and gain some "traction" to impart the necessary twist.

Properly made, the shooter will most likely never notice the difference.

I only have 1 5R barrel that shoots well but can't say it shoots any better than my others.
I do have one rifle that has cut rifling that shoots well and hardly fouls at all. I like enough to get another cut barrel for my next build.
I think it is important with any new barrel to break it in properly and use proper cleaning methods

Thanks. I'm getting a new barrel built for a build and was trying to decide what twist to go with. I have a remy 700 with 1:12 now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have 1 5R barrel that shoots well but can't say it shoots any better than my others.
I do have one rifle that has cut rifling that shoots well and hardly fouls at all. I like enough to get another cut barrel for my next build.
<span style="color: #FF0000">I think it is important with any new barrel to break it in properly and use proper cleaning methods</span> </div></div>

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have 1 5R barrel that shoots well but can't say it shoots any better than my others.
I think it is important with any new barrel to break it in properly and use proper cleaning methods </div></div>

It's getting harder & harder to separate the <span style="font-weight: bold">gimmicks for the gullible</span> from the <span style="font-weight: bold">genuine goodies</span> with Big Green.

I won't be in a big rush to re-barrel all my 700's with 5R barrels.

5R rifling, triangular shaped gun barrels....it's anybody's guess what'll be the next "major revelation/breakthrough" from the gimmick geeks at Big Green. Keep a whole shaker handy cause you might need more than just "a grain of salt".

I'll read the reviews by credible, unbiased reviewers a year after the media advertising splash has faded to separate the facts from the BS & then make an objective purchase decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R (R=Russian) has tapered lands like a trapezoid. The Conventional 4 or 6 groove have lands that are much squarer. We have seen no difference in barrel life or accuracy between the two in most circumstances. One theory about the benefits of the 5R is that you have a land opposing a groove. Theoretically, this should distort the bullet less as it it not being squeezed between two lands and should be more accurate. The major benefit of the 5R is that there is no "corner" where the land meets the groove. This attracts less fouling and any fouling that does build up is easier to clean.

We have seen some accuracy issues with short bearing surface/light for caliber bullets. These are mainly Benchrest and/or varmint bullets, 110 Grain .308, 40 grain .224 and 62 Grain 6mm. It is my belief that these short jacket, small bearing surface bullets actually need too be "squeezed" a little, to obtain a proper seal and gain some "traction" to impart the necessary twist.

Properly made, the shooter will most likely never notice the difference. </div></div>

This here should be the end of the argument. But it wouldn't be the internet, then......

I have 2 5R barrels and i have noticed that they dont foul as easily and in my opinion do show a little better accuracy.. Now, to keep things in perspective, both my 5R barrels are from major manufacturers that turn out excellent barrels. So in all honestly this alone may be the reason that i get better accuracy out of these barrels. But yes, there are advantages to a 5R barrel, mainly that they foul less and are easier to clean.

Just my 2 cents.. take it or leave it.

I have a Rock Creek 5R cut barrel on my 308. The rifle shoots great and doesn't foul, like some of my factory hammer forged barrels do. The M24's I have used were all accurate and easy to clean. I would love to say this is due to the 5R, but I also have and HS Precision 10X cut rifle with standard grooves It also shoots great and doesn't foul. This leads me to believe the lack of fouling has more to do with the quality of the barrel and how the rifling is put into the bore. So based on my limited experience, I buy the "cut rifle" process Koolaid more than I do the "5R" Koolaid. It just tastes sweeter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pricedo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have 1 5R barrel that shoots well but can't say it shoots any better than my others.
I think it is important with any new barrel to break it in properly and use proper cleaning methods </div></div>

It's getting harder & harder to separate the <span style="font-weight: bold">gimmicks for the gullible</span> from the <span style="font-weight: bold">genuine goodies</span> with Big Green.

I won't be in a big rush to re-barrel all my 700's with 5R barrels.

5R rifling, triangular shaped gun barrels....it's anybody's guess what'll be the next "major revelation/breakthrough" from the gimmick geeks at Big Green. Keep a whole shaker handy cause you might need more than just "a grain of salt".

I'll read the reviews by credible, unbiased reviewers a year after the media advertising splash has faded to separate the facts from the BS & then make an objective purchase decision.

</div></div>

If I am thinking right Big Green put out some 5R rifles due to the popularity of people switching to the 5R aftermarket barrels and did not actually pioneer shit on the lines of that. I have been wrong before though. Triangle barrels, well that a whole other topic that doesn't belong here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R (R=Russian) has tapered lands like a trapezoid. The Conventional 4 or 6 groove have lands that are much squarer. We have seen no difference in barrel life or accuracy between the two in most circumstances. One theory about the benefits of the 5R is that you have a land opposing a groove. Theoretically, this should distort the bullet less as it it not being squeezed between two lands and should be more accurate. The major benefit of the 5R is that there is no "corner" where the land meets the groove. This attracts less fouling and any fouling that does build up is easier to clean.

Properly made, the shooter will most likely never notice the difference. </div></div>

I'm just wondering why you keep bumping this to the top OP...If there was ever an explanation then this is it. I'm not sure what else your trying to find out at this point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to say "gimmick" for now. My opinion might change in 10 years though. </div></div>
If it is a gimmick; it's been out for over 20 yrs!

^^^^^^^^^^ this should be over after this guy said what was what
P.S. I love my Bartlein
blush.gif

BUT THE PACKERS STILL SUCK, GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

To me that just means Bartlein Barrels does not offer a 5R option
wink.gif

But like I said, to me 5R is more show than go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me that just means Bartlein Barrels does not offer a 5R option
wink.gif

But like I said, to me 5R is more show than go. </div></div>

I hope it hurts you.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me that just means Bartlein Barrels does not offer a 5R option
wink.gif

Yes they offer it, I like many people here own them
http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/calibers.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to say "gimmick" for now. My opinion might change in 10 years though. </div></div>
If it is a gimmick; it's been out for over 20 yrs! </div></div>

The Hula Hoop has been out for much longer and still going strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me that just means Bartlein Barrels does not offer a 5R option
wink.gif

I hope it hurts you.......

........................ </div></div>

you are a mean person

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to say "gimmick" for now. My opinion might change in 10 years though. </div></div>
If it is a gimmick; it's been out for over 20 yrs! </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Hula Hoop has been out for much longer and still going strong.</span> </div></div>

C'ept some of us can't fit inside one (a hula hoop) any more.