• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Creedmor or 6.5x47 Lapua?

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
Going to do a build on an FN/SPR action. Was set on the 6.5 Creedmor, but then a friend told me about the 6.5x47 Lapua, which is extremely close. He swears by that chambering. Does anyone here have any experience with this caliber. What would the pros or cons be over the Creedmor?
Thanks,
Steve

Re: 6.5 Creedmor or 6.5x47 Lapua?

6.5 Creedmoor will get you better velocity than the 6.5x47. I get the same velocities as a .260 with mine. I run it with 42.5 gr H4350 with 140 AMAX's and still have more case capacity if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 Creedmoor will get you better velocity than the 6.5x47. I get the same velocities as a .260 with mine. I run it with 42.5 gr H4350 with 140 AMAX's and still have more case capacity if needed. </div></div>

and what velocity is that?

All good choices, but creedmoor has good factory ammunition.

Out of the two I would go with the Creedmoor, cheaper brass and shoots the heavier bullets faster.

I have the Creedmoor and 260, basically the same thing.

I went Creedmoor. I wanted to shoot the 140amax. If I were going to shoot the 120amax or 123gr bullets I would have gone 6.5x47L

I don't know why everyone shooting the Creedmoor says amax, go with the 142 SMK or 139 Scenar. Better bullets IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why everyone shooting the Creedmoor says amax, go with the 142 SMK or 139 Scenar. Better bullets IMO. </div></div>

It's the whole, "I'm gay for Hornady" thing... just my theory.

Ok I'll be the odd ball. I went with the 6.5x47 because at the time Redding didnt make 6.5CM dies. Although the Lapua brass is more expensive I think it is better than the Hornady for the 6.5CM and if I would have gone with the .260 I would have had to form Lapua .243 brass. In theory the larger case's of the .260 and 6.5CM might have an advantage but I think in the real world they are all pretty damn close and most shooters wont notice the difference. The .260 will have a longer super sonic range but if you are into shooting from 1500 to past a mile the .260 probably isn't at the top of your list anyway.
just my .02

My last FN/SPR build was in 6.5Creedmoor. Makes for a pretty cool deer gun. I put a 28 inch Lilja bbl on it and get 2900fps out of the 140VLD with ease. Can go over 3000fps with it but I started to mess with my brass and I like to use the same brass for a good while, so lighter loads win for me.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why everyone shooting the Creedmoor says amax, go with the 142 SMK or 139 Scenar. Better bullets IMO.</div></div>

Because that way we can still kill animals with it effectively

6.5 CM gets my vote. I've had 260, 6.5 CM and 6.5x47. The 260 is very capable but you're asking about 6.5CM versus 6.5x47. I get 2900+ with RL17 and 142 SMK. The CM will take you well over 3000 if you like the 130 Berger. It is extremely accurate with every thing that has been down the pipe, factory Hornady ammo included. My 6.5x47 shot the 142 SMK but did not provide the same punch. And don't be concerned about Hornady brass. It has served me well at the velocities I just mentioned. Plus, it is less expensive than Lapua 6.5x47 and easier to find usually. Redding and Hornady both offer dies so that is not an issue. I think even Forster offers them now. Oh, did I mention you can now buy Hornady Superformance in 6.5 CM too. I am not on Team Hornady but 6.5 CM is top notch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M855</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go 260 and call it a day </div></div>

This is the best answer to these 6.5 creed/6.5x47 threads. If I couldn't have a .260 and had to have a 6.5mm it would be the creedmore. 6.5x47 would not even be considered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 Creedmoor will get you better velocity than the 6.5x47. I get the same velocities as a .260 with mine. I run it with 42.5 gr H4350 with 140 AMAX's and still have more case capacity if needed. </div></div>

and what velocity is that? </div></div>

I can get over 2920 fps with the 140's. I'm backed down to around 2850 with my 1000yd loads. Most guys that shoot 260's where I shoot are usually running the exact same load as I am or close to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why everyone shooting the Creedmoor says amax, go with the 142 SMK or 139 Scenar. Better bullets IMO. </div></div>

It's the whole, "I'm gay for Hornady" thing... just my theory. </div></div>

It could also be the fact that the AMAX works...Just my theory. I've tried the Lapua and Bergers and had much better consistency with the AMAX's. You apparently have some type of grudge against the Creedmoor and Hornady but it might be remorse/jealousy that you don't have one
laugh.gif

You haven't even provided any type of good information in this thread, just stupid comments

I have shot the 260 and the 6.5x55 and the 6.5x284s and they have all shot the AMAXs very well. My 6.5x284 would group tighter to 300yds with the 142s but the AMAXs would hold tighter on out to 1000+.

Both of my last 260s shot the AMAXs better than either the MKs or the 139s. My current 260 shot the 140MK the best and now since I had it set back I am shooting the 123 Lapuas in it. With them its a hammer to 1000yds.

My 6.5X55 really shoots the 139s well so I have not played with the AMAXs since I ran out of them. However I am sure from past experience it would shoot them as well. Not a big Hornady fan but the AMAX is a damn fine bullet. I plan on shooting the 162AMAX in my 284 build.

Oh, and back to the original question, you can't go wrong with either one. This will be a topic that will generate an argument for years to come. Truth is you will be happy with whatever you pick. I like them all!!!!

Single source of brass of brass is a turn off for me on 6.5x47 and the 6.5CM, with 260rem brass can be made from 7-08 just by FL sizing it, 243 can be necked up but will require neck turning to remove the donuts because the shoulder becomes part of the neck.

I can't speak for the creedmor but I can tell you that I could not be happier with the way my 47 is performing. I went with Lapua because of the brass, small primer, High pressure/ short case combo. These attributes result in effortless accuracy and ample magazine room.

If I was going to shoot 130 g and lighter bullets I would definitely go for the 6.5 x 47, the accuracy and brass are great. The '47 is a great way to get to 1,000 yards, about 3 of the other guys I shoot F-class with use my reamer after watching me shoot mine for a year.

I have not shot the CM but with the extra capacity it should do better with the 139, 140 and 142 g bullets.

wade

I went with the creedmoor because currently I dont have time to reload currently and read the hornaady match 140gr was excellent. I figure I can shoot a few hundred rounds by spring and then have brass for reloading when I have time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to do a build on an FN/SPR action. Was set on the 6.5 Creedmor, but then a friend told me about the 6.5x47 Lapua, which is extremely close. He swears by that chambering. Does anyone here have any experience with this caliber. What would the pros or cons be over the Creedmor?
Thanks,
Steve </div></div>

If you want to benchrest prep brass and use it for "years" then 6.5x47L is the way to go.Friggen strong(HANDLES HIGH PRESSURES WELL)and very consistent necks,etc.I bought 2 lots of 500 and there is only 2 grains difference in weight from the lightest to heaviest brass.I have a 100 round MTM box full of brass that are exactly the same weight,amazing!!! and most of the rest are 1 grain difference.You get what you pay for with Lapua.

If you want to buy factory loaded cartridges then 6.5 Creed has a huge advantage.

First and foremost
The 6.5x47 will match or beat anything 260/CM can do in any weight bullet, listen to the guys who reload for it not a Hornady sponsored speculator
brass is nuke proof, 123 scenar max load 43.5 RE17, ZERO ejector wipe etc
pig gun 20" barrel 123 scenars @ 2900fps 42.9 re17

F class rig...
Yes i built a full blown match rig on this case because i have several local shooters running 2930fps 139scenar 28" barrels
Mine will have a 31" barrel and should according to others that run same barrel length 3000fps, thou most run 2950-2975fps
Thats same fps as 6.5-284 drivers run

Big Fan of AMAX bullets especially 123Amax, good on paper n kills shit DRT

So as performance is a non issue consider all 3 equal, thou 6.5x47 can run higher PSI thus it will have edge

discard 260 IMHO, unless your going to push shoulder back
http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html
then ya have pert near a 6.5CM but better/more brass selection

Don't have any experience with the 6.5x47 Lapua so I wont comment on it.
The 6.5CM on the other hand I have owned 3 custom bolt guns and 3 DPMS semi autos having reloaded for all 6.

6.5CM has Factory Made Match Ammo.
Hand loads with ES 15 fps and a SD o 5 fps for a 10 shot string over a Oehler chronograph are hard to beat.
Easy to reload for just use the "factory data" load it and shoot it.
Factory Load is accurate. shot a 10 shot string @ 1000m that went just over 7 inches in front of a 260 shooting member right here in this thread.
100m zero get to 1,000m with under 10mil of dial.
Easy on brass,10 reloads and more not uncommon for one piece of brass.
6.5CM Hornady dies are inexpensive and work well with the A-Max bullet/CM case so no need to buy expensive dies and neck bushings.

Just out of curiosity, anyone try an A-MAX in the 6.5L or vise versa with the CM? I doubt there would be much difference but just checking whether there were any issues with dies, seating or some such.

Flyingbullseye

i went with the 6.5 cm because the case was shorter than the 260 , leaving more room in the aics mag to seat the bullet out properly . also very impressed with the quality of hornady brass and dies . 12 + reloads with 130 gr jlk @ 2950 from 24" barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, anyone try an A-MAX in the 6.5L or vise versa with the CM? I doubt there would be much difference but just checking whether there were any issues with dies, seating or some such.

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

Using the Redding dies for my 6.5L, I loaded some 140's without problem. Only bought one box but I shot some 1 hole groups with them. I ended up with acceptable groups and higher velocities using the 142's so that's what I shoot now. I'm having a CM built on a MEGA set as we speak.

Aw hell, now I'm REALLY confused! It looks like I'll be leaning more towards the Creedmor, but nothing's set in stone...yet. I truly appreciate all the info you guys so graciously provided to me. This board IS a wealth of information....proud to be a member of it.

I'll keep you posted of the progress of this project. Now to figure out which stock....Mcree chassis or McMillan A5......decisions, decisions.
Steve

180, first I've been around this stuff for 40 years just so you know I'm not just gay for webites. Discerning between these three rounds will drive you nuts. Once you're out there in the variables and elements of changing environments, i.e.; wind, heat, mirage, emotional pressure the tiny differences, if any, between these three rounds will be inconsequential. I happen to have the Lapua. If I were really new to this I'd get a good .308 and shoot 155 grain bullets. If I knew a little, I'd get a .243 Win and shoot 115 grain bullets. I shoot alongside a buddy with .243 and 115's with my 6.5x47. Keeping up with him is challenging. When I build again I will consider 6XC, .243 Win in a large chassis AR. When I build another bolt gun I will consider 7RSAUM. Just kinda where I am. Hope this helps.

The 6.5 Creedmore has slightly shorter brass. This allows loading to the lands and still fit in the magazine. Ditto 6x47 but this one is SLIGHTLY less powerful and doesn't go QUITE as fast (all else being equal, which it usually isn't). Hodgdon Powder website doesnt show any load data for 6.5x47. Must be pretty rare.

Having said that, I am going 260 Remington. Three sources of brass (can't always find them all at once, but usually at least one is available). And if the chamber is throated right, should be able to load to that lands. 260 Remington is more common.

I think it's a toss up. Any one of them will do. What reamer does your gunsmith have?