• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5x55 swede info

calebintn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hi I am a newbie member but have read posts for a while.
Been in love with mausers for a long time and recently bought a 6.5 swede, I am planning on building it into some sort of sniper.
Just wanted to get some of you guys advice before I get in to deep with this mauser.

Thanks in advance,

Re: 6.5x55 swede info

How does it shoot now?

I love mausers also and the 6.5x55 is one of all time favorite cartridges. If that puppy shoots good now I'd let it be until you shoot the barrel out of it, then look at rebuilding it. But if you are hell bent on rebuilding now I'd try to stick with more traditional look for the rifle. Find yourself a nice wood stock and then do a good bedding job on it then get the receiver drilled and tapped and slap a good base, set of rings, and scope on it and be done. Just my two cents, but in the end it is your rifle so do what makes you happy.

I have not shot groups with the gun yet, I have still got to get a scope for it. The bore is in very good condition on the gun. Synthetic stocks are very hard to find but wooden stocks are few but available, I was hoping to get a tactical type stock but we will see.
Been wandering if these older guns can take the pressure of shooting to 1000 yards.
Oh yeah I will have to measure but it has about a 20' barrel, dont know if this will be suitable either.

On stocks you would be surprised at what is available.
http://www.gun-parts.com/mauserstocks/

The older rifles can shoot at distance just fine. They have been doing it for a long time. And the 6.5x55 is certainly up to the task. That round is more then capable to 1000 yards (it whoops the 308 hands down).

You don't need a 26 inch barrel to shoot at 1000 yards. 20 will do just fine. The only issue that old barrel might have is twist or groove configuration. But that is something you'll have to find out when you shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi I am a newbie member but have read posts for a while.
Been in love with mausers for a long time and recently bought a 6.5 swede, I am planning on building it into some sort of sniper.
Just wanted to get some of you guys advice before I get in to deep with this mauser.

Thanks in advance, </div></div>

Why not buy a M41B and be done??

As you know m96 is not as robust as the bullet proof m98 action

In a modern action 6.5x55 can almost match 6.5-284 performance

I use a fairly light load in my M41B, but for its intended purpose with that lil 4x ajack...very workable platform

There is a member here that does a lot of Mauser work, ya might try n find him for ideas via search etc

You are right about the k98 being bulletproof I love mine, the mauser guy you speak of could be very beneficial to me maybe he will put his input in also. I may end up using the swede for a deer rifle but I still want to give it a try at long shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys know if a mauser trigger is adjustable, it doesnt appear to be. swedish model m38</div></div>

Timney makes one I believe.

Just a quick thought, and maybe I missed it in the replies above, but if you are going to scope a Swede, I think you need to tweak the bolt handle or it will hit the scope.

I wish I had kept my Swedish Mauser, it was a great rifle.

By the time you buy a new stock, drill and tap for bases and buy rings and either bend the bolt or weld on a new handle you may have as much in this rifle as a new Savage. Just a thought but a new rifle would have a much stronger action and allow safe hand loads to past .260 Remington velocities. It would also have a bolt bent for a scope and be drilled and tapped. Why not keep the old war horse to shoot informally with and buy a new rifle to use long distance. The Swedish Mauser is a fine old military rifle but it won't be the ideal basis for a sniper rifle build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the time you buy a new stock, drill and tap for bases and buy rings and either bend the bolt or weld on a new handle you may have as much in this rifle as a new Savage. Just a thought but a new rifle would have a much stronger action and allow safe hand loads to past .260 Remington velocities. It would also have a bolt bent for a scope and be drilled and tapped. Why not keep the old war horse to shoot informally with and buy a new rifle to use long distance. The Swedish Mauser is a fine old military rifle but it won't be the ideal basis for a sniper rifle build. </div></div>

+1 you eventually kick yourself for having ruined a perfectly good military rifle. You will not save money over buying a modern action and probably not be satisfied with it's performance in the long run. As recommend earlier, buy a modern action for a custom build. IMHO

Good luck

Jerry

There's a guy who sells a drop-in long eye relief scope mount for the Swede - Accumounts, I think. I'm currently setting my Swede up with one, though haven't shot it yet. Basically it mounts where the rear iron sights go, and the bonus is that it's reversible. Have heard good things about it.

If you know your mausers you know that the m38 swede has a factory turned down bolt handle.
Mine is already tapped for a scope and has non original stock on it. Everyone has an opinion and I would wrather build my mauser than some ole savage. I just like the mauser action, and no its not too weak to shoot, If you dont double up on powder the swede can shoot loads just fine with sub moa results maybe not better than but just as good as a rem 700... just older.