Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
If hornady holds up a few more firings, I’ll be confident to continue with gt

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
6x47L was such a great cartridge for me for 13 years, no problems but I did have one custom size die I sold with a rifle, and then a Warner die.

Owned my own reamer that whole time and still have the brass with 38+ cycles on it that holds a primer well. Last load was 3172 fps with 105's in a 28" barrel.

Have your smith throat it out some more then use H4831SC.

Lapua brass man!

I SHOOT

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2019
Well, look at what guys like Dan and Vu did at the beginning of this thread... before Hornady brass came online... Original GT brass was formed from 6.5x47... that's the brass prep @phlegethon was getting at...
I've read this thread and the duplicate one on accurate shooter
Real good stuff.
they said plainly making the brass was a pain.
I was planning a Dasher build but when hornady brass was available I was sold and glad I did
It's an awesome little cartridge.

V-Ref

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 28, 2008
Eagle River, Alaska
It's not a hard puzzle to solve. It is frustrating. Think of all the 6XC Gen 1 vs Gen 2 vs 6-22/250 drama that's out there.

If you don't know how, ask your smith. Or PM me. I've read your other posts, you seem very knowledgeable, and obviously can shoot.

The Reamer->Virgin brass-->Sizing Die all have to be on the same sheet of music. If they are, then it could be a banana chamber, banana die, or a bad lot of brass (rare).

Base diameter =@.150 north of case head
Base diameter of virgin Hornady
Base diameter of virgin Alpha
Base diameter of fired Hornady
Base diameter of fired Alpha
Base diameter of sized Hornady
Base diameter of sized Alpha

If you have a sticky fired Alpha and then another not sticky fired Alpha, add that into the list above.

If your annealing, describe your annealing practices.

If you capture the above dimensions one of them will usually stand out. If it doesn't, then look at shoulder diameter .050 south of body/shoulder junction, and capture the same dimensions.

Last edited:

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
I have 800 rounds through my barrel, still half moa. I'm running it slow at 2900 with 34.3 GN of varget. All alpha brass but I did notice that my bolt was sticky with once fired. I'll try resizing down an extra .002.

I cleaned the chamber at 600 rounds when I heard Dthomas having issues. So far I'm liking the less recoil over the 6.5, gonna keep adding to the barrel life.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I have 800 rounds through my barrel, still half moa. I'm running it slow at 2900 with 34.3 GN of varget. All alpha brass but I did notice that my bolt was sticky with once fired. I'll try resizing down an extra .002.

I cleaned the chamber at 600 rounds when I heard Dthomas having issues. So far I'm liking the less recoil over the 6.5, gonna keep adding to the barrel life.
Awesome. And either only half of my issue was the dirty chamber. Could have been 100% brass though. Will be experimenting a bit more here shortly. But for the moment I’m working on another more proven cartridge so I have something to shoot matches with until I have this worked out properly.

Reactions: sleeplz

samb300

Anarchy Outdoors, Accuracy Obsession
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
@Dthomas3523 I know it's an expensive option, but have you considered a custom sizing die? I've been looking at (and lusting) over a Warner Tools sizing die for years. Since I shoot so few calibers, I think I'm going to take the plunge. I own my 6GT and 6.5x47L reamers, and have large lots of brass, so it makes sense to me. You have the ability to spec out exactly what you want, and the die is made from your fired brass and reamer print.

Not saying that's the solution to what's going on, but a $600 die and swappable caliber inserts might be cheaper in the long run than spinning up a new barrel, buying brass, AND new dies for a 6x47L.

I also have an odd issue with my 6.5x47L, where regardless of sizing die (I've tried 3 different brands), I have to bump my shoulder back 0.003 - 0.004" in order to close the bolt with no resistance. I can't figure it out for the life of me, but I know I'll be cutting the life of my brass by sizing that much each firing.

Also, have you had your 6GT reamer inspected? I've heard enough horror stories about PTG to know it's possible that the reamer is the issue.

Reactions: steve123

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I agree with investigating the reamer - PTG has notoriously bad QC. I know gunsmiths that won't even use reamers from PTG.

That's probably the first thing I would look at.

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
I'm at 1700 rounds and noticed my groups opened up. I listened to the modern day sniper with scott satterlee and was at .02 off the lands before this test. I shot 5 round groups left to right and than bottom left to right. Point of aim was the corners of the box and the bullet meet my lands at 1.980. Below is what I seated the bullets to,

Attachments

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
It looks to be 3/4 inch if I choose 1.880 seating depth and I'm ok with that after 1700 rounds.

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
My velocity stayed the same in the beginning as it did at 1500ish rounds, 2880ish. When I opened my new 8lb of varget, at around 1600 rounds I did another velocity test and I was at 2926 with the same amount of powder. The change was definitely due to the different lot of varget.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Wonder if you freshened up the throat with a PT&G Uni-throater and went to a longer bullet like a DTAC, or a 110 SMK with a 120 thou jump if that would breathe some new life in it

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
I only cleaned my threads and chamber every 400 rounds. At 1200 I used hopes no. 9 bore cleaner and pushed the rods through a few times. I had to build the copper back up to get better accuracy but it was done after 30 rounds.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I only cleaned my threads and chamber every 400 rounds. At 1200 I used hopes no. 9 bore cleaner and pushed the rods through a few times. I had to build the copper back up to get better accuracy but it was done after 30 rounds.
For shits and giggles, if possible let it soak filled with CLR and/or boretech. Clean it to the steel as close to new as possible (won’t take long after soaking).

Borescope and see what the throat/fire cracking looks like. Or if it tightens back up.

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
I dont have a borescope and with me moving soon I'm not trying to buy more stuff... What kind of life are you seeing out of a 6br?

MachoMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Well I’ve just chambered a 6Gt for myself to play with. Waiting on dies and brass. Hope it performs well

samb300

Anarchy Outdoors, Accuracy Obsession
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I’ve yet to see anyone post any real data showing the difference. Lots of speculation.

Someone get the precision rifle blog on it!!
I can't comment on burn temp or throat wear, just that H4350 is slower burning and is lower pressure than Varget when at the same velocity for 6GT (per Hodgdon data). But it's also burning more powder to achieve the same velocity as Varget.

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
This is my first 6mm after venturing away from 6.5 creed and I've just started reloading 9 months ago. What do you think makes the 6br last longer?

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
What was GAP's claim for barrel life on the 6GT? Was it as ridiculous as their barrel life claim for 6.5 SAUM?

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
What was GAP's claim for barrel life on the 6GT? Was it as ridiculous as their barrel life claim for 6.5 SAUM?
I believe it was in the 2500 area. But I might be misremembering. I know it was advertised as better than dasher which is 2k generally.

I don’t know why we (myself included) keep believing gap barrel life claims. None of my 6cm ever made it above 1500/1700 or so and when they made it that high it was rare.

Reactions: 47guy and kthomas

MachoMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Well
I believe it was in the 2500 area. But I might be misremembering. I know it was advertised as better than dasher which is 2k generally.

I don’t know why we (myself included) keep believing gap barrel life claims. None of my 6cm ever made it above 1500/1700 or so and when they made it that high it was rare.
would u guys run another 6Gt did u like the caliber

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ

GAP seems to have a propensity to exaggerate barrel life numbers.

Based on their past history I'm always skeptical of their barrel life claims, and not surprised when they are never met.

I think the 6GT has some neat benefits to it, and I can see it being a pretty compelling cartridge for people to jump in to. Hopefully people aren't disappointed when they learn what the more realistic barrel life numbers are.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Well

No, I likely won’t be. I’ve had issues with alpha 6gt and alpha dasher brass.

With assumed barrel life the same as 6dasher and less than 6br, I have never had enough feeding issues to give up lapua brass for hornady (even though hornady 6gt brass seems to do well).

I’ll probably just run my 6gt barrels as practice barrels. When it gets close to dying, run at club matches and leave the hornady brass on ground.

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well

Every cartridge has its compromises. You just need to find the one(s) that achieves what you desire, and willing to work with whatever compromises comes with that.

Everyone is going to have a different answer to this question, and ultimately it's going to come down to what works for YOU. There's no one wonder cartridge that is going to be the best for everyone.

With that said, I'm curious to hear the responses to your question and how the early adopters also feel about the cartridge. I think it has some neat benefits, but not enough for me to make the jump from 6BRA. I will be curious to see what the popularity of 6GT ends up being, I figured that it would explode in popularity.

Reactions: 47guy

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
And sleepz barrel isn't necessarily shot out. Really depends on your accuracy requirement, your willingness to play with other loads and bullets, what you're willing to do like set it back or freshen the throat up. That's why you see shorter barrel life from guys shooting competition. They're not willing to shoot 3/4 moa barrels and have already accepted that barrels are expendable and it's not worth the extra $200 in components to work another load to get two more matches out of it and risk finally going out in a match

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
Every cartridge has its compromises. You just need to find the one(s) that achieves what you desire, and willing to work with whatever compromises comes with that.

Everyone is going to have a different answer to this question, and ultimately it's going to come down to what works for YOU. There's no one wonder cartridge that is going to be the best for everyone.

With that said, I'm curious to hear the responses to your question and how the early adopters also feel about the cartridge. I think it has some neat benefits, but not enough for me to make the jump from 6BRA. I will be curious to see what the popularity of 6GT ends up being, I figured that it would explode in popularity.
this right here ^^^ ive shot a few 6mms and i love the BRA....im at 1100+ a few rounds now and still running 2975 with the same load....im going to run this one in the ground and see where it ends up.

Reactions: kthomas

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Just looking at the case compared to a Dasher or 6Creed, it should be the perfect size. I'll agree that it's dimensions are about perfect for 4350. I struggled with mine for the first 200rds but it's because I found out later that the barrel doesn't like 105 Hybrids. First I've ever seen. It's also the first I've seen to shoot 110 SMKs consistently. The Hornady brass is doing great for me and I load it on a 650. Now that I have it figured I think its, at the least, as viable as any of the other 6mms. It's hard for me to say if it's easy to get running or picky with just one barrel and my first in this cartridge. I think the first time you run a cartridge you're going to do a whole lot more dicking with it than you do on your 4th Dasher barrel. I spent 400rds on my first Dasher barrel trying to figure flyers. Came to find out my action needed bedded. The next three after that was easy peasy. The hard part was getting through the 200rd speed up because I already knew what load to run, give or take .3 gr. And I can look back at my 4 Dasher barrels and tell you which ones were studs and which were picky and went out fast. I think I'd have to go through another couple of barrels in GT to really pass judgement. Which is a significant investment to do. I'm debating whether or not to do another. I doubt I'll ever get away from Dasher in Lapua brass.

sleeplz

Private
Belligerents
May 12, 2017
Does anyone know why the BR lasts longer? Is it the type of powder or shoulder angle?

MachoMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Well i have a 6 BRA reamer on the way. So may try it as well. What loads u guys using and what freebore on chamber

Reactions: kthomas

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Well i have a 6 BRA reamer on the way. So may try it as well. What loads u guys using and what freebore on chamber
I use .104" freebore. .272" neck (no neck turn).

If using H4895, most people end up in the 30.2-30.8 grains. I'm using 30.3 grains with 105 hybrids and get 2950-2970 fps, with low ES and SD (28" Krieger barrel). My barrel seems to be on the faster side.

Fire-forming load is 29.5 grains H4895, 105 hybrids. Lapua brass and BR4 primers.

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
.274 neck .104 freebore...
26" 7.5T bartlein
31.3g varget
fed205M
105 hybrid
peterson brass
2975FPS

a 109 runs 2945 and shoots just as well with that same load.

Reactions: reubenski