• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6GT Project/Range Report

I need more.... waiting on my AI AT Pre-Fit from GAP in the ??. Is it basically gospel that the 105 Berger is the most reliable bullet out there? Seems like when every one else's are inconsistent that one just works, even with a bit lower bc.

I need more.... waiting on my AI AT Pre-Fit from GAP in the ??. Is it basically gospel that the 105 Berger is the most reliable bullet out there? Seems like when every one else's are inconsistent that one just works, even with a bit lower bc.
A-Tips are as well.

Reactions: verdugo60

if i had to choose only one bullet id take a 108g berger over the 105 hybrid and i shoot a lot of both.

Reactions: verdugo60
Anyone know who has savage prefit barrels in 6gt in stock or quick turn around?

Why is there no love for the 107 Sierra here?

4DB91C2F-08E7-485F-8706-A1C079641555.gif

Anyone ran these out of MDT 12 rnd mags? Any issues with feeding or loading? Im having a hell of a time with my 6.5x47L jamming in them due to their internal ridges sitting right on the shoulder. Wondering if the 6GT has the same issue being a similar size. Im looking to go that route, and making sure each round is seated perfectly (not too far back, not too far forward) to ensure the mag works is a huge pita.

X-caliber, this morning, posted on FB that they are now doing prefits. AR barrels are still in testing.

Just some added info, I spoke with Steve at X-caliber on Cybermonday (before 6mm GT was live on the site) and it sounded like 10+ weeks. I ordered to lock in that sweet 30% discount and then called to have it tagged for 6mm GT. Steve mentioned they were still waiting on reamers and would have to cut test barrels to measure for spec and then they'd start producing for customers.

Ummm....I'd hold off on them.... they seem to be unable to deliver barrels right now.

However PVA has agreed to a group buy of 6GTs.... They need 10 for a group.

Not trying to be snarky but PVA has had serious issues with timelines and delivering barrels.

What's up with straight jacket? And what makes you think PVA would deliver in any reasonable time frame when they are backlogged like crazy already?

Honestly asking, not trying to start something.

Are all of 419 pre fit barrels shouldered? It looks that way based on description. As far as 7 vs 7.5 twist rate, will the 7.5 be better at stabilizing heavier bullets?

Are all of 419 pre fit barrels shouldered? It looks that way based on description. As far as 7 vs 7.5 twist rate, will the 7.5 be better at stabilizing heavier bullets?

I was told 7.5 is what most of the shooters are using and that is what I ordered. Plan on shooting 110 A-Tips onceI work up a load but am burning through a box of 105 Hybrids to get the barrel settled in. First barrel I’ve ever gotten from 419 but so far out of the gate it’s a shooter!

As far as 7 vs 7.5 twist rate, will the 7.5 be better at stabilizing heavier bullets?
If you shoot at locations that commonly have a negative air density and plan to use the troubled 110 SMK , you may want to consider a 7 twist. I shoot 115 Dtac's and 112 Barnes and both have been stable at -500' DA and I am using a Impact/Bartlien 7.5 twist currently.
Berger has a stability calculator on their website that can be very helpful if your concerned.

@reubenski that is discouraging about Straight Jacket Armory. I have an order in with them that is at 6 weeks and 2days. They confirmed the blank was in-stock before I ordered... and tried to up sale me into a 5 day turn around for $100 more. I'll give them till next week before I check in since their website clearly states a 6 week turn around.

Last edited:
So, from here and FB, it looks like most are getting dasher speeds with 2 more grains of varget.

Is anyone seeing 3050-3100 with a 105 hybrid and no pressure?

I have a GT reamer, but seeing everyone running at dasher speed is making me reconsider.

I’m already setup for dasher and have no issues feeding in my AI with mag kits.

Reactions: 47guy and B-P-UU
So, from here and FB, it looks like most are getting dasher speeds with 2 more grains of varget.

I have a GT reamer, but seeing everyone running at dasher speed is making me reconsider.

You must not question the new shiny.. new is ALWAYS BETTER! :)

I agree with your assessment... The appeal of this cartridge to me is running H4350 class powder at 2950 fps with a 109-115 class bullet. I can do that with a dasher and varget, but that's leaning on it pretty hard.

Reactions: reubenski
Straight 6br didn't run reliably in my AI AT, even with a mag kit so I'm going to give this GT a try.

If I can run H4350 with a bullet between 105-115 grains and get Dasher/BRX speeds I'll be happy. I'm just glad I will be able to use the same mag for my 308, 6.5 CM and 6GT. I'm going to try out the 105 Berger for reliability but I have had good luck with 110 Sierra's and 115 DTACS in both a 243 barrel and 6BR so I might work up loads with all those since I have them on hand. I have plenty of Varget too but it supposedly torches throats quicker than H4350.

Would love to use the 110 A-Tips but I'm cheap in an expensive sport and 75 cents per bullet is hard to swallow.

I’ve seen a few in the FB group I’m in get those numbers with the 105 Hybrid.

I believe the purpose of this cartridge was to get the same velocities as the other 6mm’s with less pressure so more barrel life. Have seen a few guys comment that they’re over 2K rounds on the barrel and still running strong.

For shooters like myself that had already planned on switching to a 6mm this year, the GT is intriguing for the barrel life alone. This is my first 6mm so nothing to lose.

Last edited:
I still need a GT reamer lol. Have everything to get started but the dang reamer!

will be loading 108’s with H4350.

On the sixth day, God created the 6mm. On the seventh he rested at his bench. Thus the 6mm bench rest was named.

Over the decades evil came into man's heart and corrupted God's creation and there was no end to the grumbling of man, that his new stick wouldn't eat reliably, that it's life was short lived at 70,000psi.

God saw this and sent his Son into the world, not to condemn the world but to bring forth his new creation. Those who follow him in the light will have everlasting barrel life while feeding unimpeded.

Those who choose to walk with him in the light will also be granted matching speed without fear of pressure.

Come to the light @Dthomas3523
You'll find that the Cat is friendly.

On the sixth day, God created the 6mm. On the seventh he rested at his bench. Thus the 6mm bench rest was named.

Over the decades evil came into man's heart and corrupted God's creation and there was no end to the grumbling of man, that his new stick wouldn't eat reliably, that it's life was short lived at 70,000psi.

God saw this and sent his Son into the world, not to condemn the world but to bring forth his new creation. Those who follow him in the light will have everlasting barrel life while feeding unimpeded.

Those who choose to walk with him in the light will also be granted matching speed without fear of pressure.

Come to the light @Dthomas3523

You may be struck down and I may get a boil on my ass for laughing but your sacrilege is funny. Next time work in George Gardner, with the beard it shouldn't be too hard.

"For he did shew forth his hand in might, and brought to the children of men the gay tiger, that they might have everlasting barrel life, and mags that floweth over with not-too-stubby cases...and the Lord did grin."

I’ve only seen a few with 1500 rnds so far. Haven’t seen anyone, at least lately, claim over 2k yet. Though it shouldn’t be long.

I agree though. If it gets over 3k/barrel, then that in and of itself is worth it.

I’ll keep watching the threads and FB for verified barrel life without velocity loss before I make up my mind what to do with reamer.

Seriously, walk me through the logic here.

A 6x47 has more case capacity and a larger chamber and gets lousy barrel life if pushed hard (3000+) with several initially going as high as 3150+

Now we're taking a smaller case, less capacity, if we generate lower pressure I'd call that less muzzle velocity.

But wait!

Somehow, this modern miracle is going to produce the muzzle velocity of the larger 6x47 and 6 Creed all while in a smaller case, with lower pressure, with less capacity and hotter, faster burning, powder... But this is all going to lead to BETTER barrel life ?

Am I following so far? Can I buy a handful of magic beans with the reloading dies? Maybe a free bottle of snake oil or a complimentary "My Pillow" with every order?

I'm interested to see what Vu's results are but dude asking about 3100+ has me ?

No, the GT is designed to reach 2950 with 105s with varget whIle keeping pressure moderate, unlike the dasher. And fix feeding issues, IE No mag kits that require special feed lip tinkering to run 100%

Reactions: LawnMM
No, the GT is designed to reach 2950 with 105s with varget whIle keeping pressure moderate, unlike the dasher. And fix feeding issues, IE No mag kits that require special feed lip tinkering to run 100%

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than some of the "expectations" some folks seem to have.

Reactions: JPL-ATX

Not according to GAP's website (last bullet):

Why the 6mm GT:

• Easy: No magazine inserts or modifications required to feed from AICS magazines.
  • Feeds great: Using a 35 degree shoulder angle, the cartridge wont hang in the chamber on the shoulder.
  • Efficient Case Design: Optimized case nearing 100% capacity with 34-35.5 grains of Varget.
  • Velocity: 3020-3080 fps with 103-105 grain bullets and approx 3000 fps with 115's.

Except no.....

B548FE2D-C640-4219-A7C7-FBDBFF220482.jpeg

I’m fine with the advantage being more barrel life at the same speed and better feeding across all platforms. If that’s what it is.

Just curious as to where the 3,000 with 115’s and 3050 with 105’s with no pressure is. Part of the reasons for creating (as stated by George) was the velocity the BR cases give up to the Creedmoor and filling that gap.

Now people are saying that wasn’t the intent, even though it was (not the creators saying this, just people running the cartridge).

I agree with @LawnMM And I think folks are starting to see the trend of speeds. There's always going to be someone shooting a Dasher at 3000+fps and there is always going to be someone getting 3000rds out of a 6BR going 2900fps. But the mainstream of folks won't. I'm with verdugo and others. I just want to do what I'm doing with my Dasher, but in an AI platform without mag kits. I shoot 35grs 4350 in a Dasher. That pushes 105's at 2910fps. If I can push 105's at 2950 with less pressure or no compressing 4350 in the case in an AI I'll be happy. I expect 1800 - 2000.

I’m good with that. Was just curious if the 3050 or so predicted speeds was still possible.

If not, I’ll just slowly switch over as I burn out my dashers. Or maybe turn that brass into .22 dasher. I’m liking .22br as well.

The debate I’m having with myself is whether to do a 6gt, or step up to a 25gt or 25cm. I’m thinking the .22br or .22dasher will be main match rig and the 6gt or 25 will be for longer match or the very high wind days.

I agree with @LawnMM And I think folks are starting to see the trend of speeds. There's always going to be someone shooting a Dasher at 3000+fps and there is always going to be someone getting 3000rds out of a 6BR going 2900fps. But the mainstream of folks won't. I'm with verdugo and others. I just want to do what I'm doing with my Dasher, but in an AI platform without mag kits. I shoot 35grs 4350 in a Dasher. That pushes 105's at 2910fps. If I can push 105's at 2950 with less pressure or no compressing 4350 in the case in an AI I'll be happy. I expect 1800 - 2000.

tenor.gif

I know of one shooter that is running atips above 3k and two who were 3040ish with 105's. But they are not out there telling everyone across FB land. I ran into them last half of this season and their dope matched what they were saying.

The 2950 w/ 105's came 2nd hand from George by one of these fellows. It wasn't that the GT couldn't be exploited for more velocity, but it was to be the dasher without the BS that comes with it.

I know of one shooter that is running atips above 3k and two who were 3040ish with 105's. But they are not out yhete telling everyone across FB land. I ran into them last half of this season and their dope matched what they were saying. The 2950 w/ 105's came 2nd hand from George by one of these fellows. It wasn't that the GT couldn't be exploited for more velocity, but it was to be the dasher without the BS that comes with it.

Then they should adjust their literature accordingly. As that is “first hand” from George.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
How are the gauging pressure on the GT case ?

100% case fill, 105’s at 3050
I don’t know the math to figure out pressure, hoping someone does.

My thoughts...
We received the first of our reamers last week for the GT. Both my wife and I are going to shoot the GT this year...
My wife has shot a BRX for the past 4 or 5 years. She shot 105 until the 110 were released, since then she has only shot 110's in her BRX barrels with varget. We decided to make the change to get away from:
1. Fire forming new brass. Ordering brass and not having to mess with it in any way is very appealing
2. Feeding issues. We started with BRX prior to inserts. We modded aics mags to work. The last couple of years we have used insets but there are still occasional issues.
3. Pushing lots of pressure for velocity, even when the cases didn't show traditional pressure signs...

Goals:
Simple loading, hope to find a load that will work in several barrels so we can load 1K+ at a time.
Using 4350 or similar burn rate powders. We are going to test several stick and ball powders.
Shooting at 2880 to 2930 with 110's/115's without pushing the pressure issue.
Hope for 2K or a bit better match rounds from a bbl.
Maintain minimum recoil

Is all of this realistic.... ask me in a few months...:) But it will be fun to find out....

We have 3 barrels chambered and hope to have some real data in the next couple of weeks.
All the BRX brass we have, well it is going through the 22 BR die and supplimenting our daughters 22 BR brass pile.

Last edited:

Exactly.

The two biggest advantages of GT are:
1.not jacking around with brass, just load and shoot;
2. No mag kits/ less feeding issues.

Any velocity gain or lower pressure over a BRX or Dasher is just gravy. If H4350 works instead of Varget , even better because I have a shit ton of it and it's supposedly easier on throats. That may mean a few extra hundred rounds of competitive barrel life.

I think George is a great innovator and has contributed a lot to the precision shooting world. I have huge respect for him. That being said, having seen the 6 creed and later the 6.5 4s be pimped slightly above their actual velocity numbers over the years when initially announcing them I have come to simply subtract 50-70 fps off advertised speeds to guess MY actual velocities. Maybe due to GA's use of Bartlein barrels, which are known to be fast, their initial numbers are skewed a bit high.

Either way, for me any gained velocity/barrel life will be gravy so I'm excited. Once again George collaborating with Hornady has made a splash...Time will tell how big.

Last edited:
The advantage of not fireforming is already moot with the availability of Alpha Dasher brass, which has been getting rave reviews. So the main argument for GT is really just feeding, as far as I can see. I decided to go with Dasher for my next barrel.

Honest question, how many guys actually have feeding issues with a dasher? I personally have not over multiple barrels and 2 different actions. I think this point is blown way out of proportion.
I'm not a debbie downer on the GT, if it had been available 3 years ago when I started with a Dasher, I probably would have skipped the dasher for GT.
Now that my well-used dasher brass is just about at the end of it's useful life, I'm strongly considering the GT as a replacement.

The advantage of not fireforming is already moot with the availability of Alpha Dasher brass, which has been getting rave reviews. So the main argument for GT is really just feeding, as far as I can see. I decided to go with Dasher for my next barrel.

Where are you finding Dasher brass that's available to buy and not to waitlist for an indeterminate amount of time? It's one thing to say, "Well yea there's factory brass" but if you can't buy it, it might as well not exist. Everybody hates the Norma option so it's available everywhere.

I was going to go Dasher but having to buy mag kits, and then finding 0 available Dasher brass I opted not to. So I'd be stuck molesting non-Dasher brass and spending nearly double the cost on magazines.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Where are you finding Dasher brass that's available to buy and not to waitlist for an indeterminate amount of time? It's one thing to say, "Well yea there's factory brass" but if you can't buy it, it might as well not exist. Everybody hates the Norma option so it's available everywhere.

I was going to go Dasher but having to buy mag kits, and then finding 0 available Dasher brass I opted not to. So I'd be stuck molesting non-Dasher brass and spending nearly double the cost on magazines.

I’ve had no trouble finding plenty of alpha dasher brass. It was in stock for a while with alpha and I’m sure it’ll be back in stock soon.

Just like gt brass selling out. No different.

The questions being asked aren’t from people who don’t already run a BR based cartridge. For those, it makes complete sense to go with 6gt.

The questions being asked is if the 6gt is getting the velocity it was claimed to have without pressure signs, or if it turns out it’s closer to dasher speeds. Either way is perfectly fine. It just seems that some people want to re-write the narrative that it was only designed for 2950 when it was in fact advertised to get closer to 6cm speed.

If it’s ~100 fps faster as it was claimed, it might be worth switching to Immediately. If not, something to keep in mind as barrels and brass wear out.

It was in stock on the Alpha Munitions website a week ago. It probably won't be long before it's back. The reviews of the Alpha brass are night and day better than the Norma, and it has the same short neck as Lapua 6BR fireformed.

I've heard different things too about 6GT performance. Some have said you will get Dasher speeds at lower pressure, which doesn't make much sense to me (I think barrel life is mainly related to speed, and I'm not sure pressure really comes from case fill). Plus lower case fill usually makes for less accuracy. Others are saying the speed will be between Dasher and Creedmoor.

Reactions: K4ylr
My gunsmith spun up a barrel for each of us. His is a 26" kreiger 7 twist that has under 40 rounds on it. For kicks he tested for pressure (sticky bolt lift) and was at 3090 with 112's and H4350 and 3080 with 108's and Varget. I do not know the details of those loads except he was jumping bullets 20 thousandths. Whether or not his is just a fast barrel, I do not know. I will see what my Proof 7.5 twist will do soon.

I do not really care one way or another if it runs at Dasher speeds or not. I probably will run 112's in whatever mid 2950-ish node I can find. Just throwing out a data point from a real barrel.

Reactions: Darkside-Six