• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

Good to know. I’ve never used N150.
Had to start using it back in the Obama years when Varget went unobtainabium, even if you were on the US team headed to the FCWC and sponsored by Hodgdon (in theory). Started using N140 and N150 since the average muggle had never heard of Vihtavouri and whenever H4895 and Varget disappeared, I could still find those in usable quantities. And they cleaned up easier.

Reactions: D_TROS and lash
Better in what way?
Well I find it more consistent with accuracy and groups in my barrels. 105 , 108, 109 Berger’s. Speed is almost identical maybe 30 ft more .
I started testing N-150 after reading Benchrest shooters in England we’re using it long before the Varget shortage here in North America. This powder shine’s for me in 6 BR , 6BRA , 6 XC and 6.5 creedmore, Got love something that covers so many calibers .

Reactions: Schütze and lash
Better in what way?
AVAILABLE LOL

Had to start using it back in the Obama years when Varget went unobtainabium, even if you were on the US team headed to the FCWC and sponsored by Hodgdon (in theory). Started using N140 and N150 since the average muggle had never heard of Vihtavouri and whenever H4895 and Varget disappeared, I could still find those in usable quantities. And they cleaned up easier.

THIS someone told me is nitro based with burns cleaner than carbon but im have no proof of this other than i almost never clean my barrels...

30gr of n150 shoots phenom in every 6br i have.

GL
DT

Reactions: lash
AVAILABLE LOL

THIS someone told me is nitro based with burns cleaner than carbon but im have no proof of this other than i almost never clean my barrels...

30gr of n150 shoots phenom in every 6br i have.

GL
DT
No. The double base powders (N500 series) have nitroglycerin in them. The N100 series powders are single based powders.

N150 is slower than n140. I am using n140 with great results in f-class. For my short 22” 6br I am switching to n135.

N150 is slower than n140. I am using n140 with great results in f-class. For my short 22” 6br I am switching to n135.
What bullet are you using with the N 140 ? Got a bunch of it for my 223 & 308 . Always thought it was a little fast for the 6 BR and the loading density would be on the low side ??

I have this benchrest stock and Zermatt Single Shot project that's been on the back burner for a while now...

I took one of my lights out bartleins and tested it in this new stock over the summer and it shot like shit. I knew I had to open the barrel channel up at a minimum and I said I wanted to fully bed it as well.

I finally got some time the last few weeks to open the channel up with lots of clearance for a 1.2" straight barrel.. I decided to bed it with Devcon 10110 as well.

Got that all done 2 weeks ago and finally got to test it today. Took a 106 A-Tip load that shot great and loaded up 50rd. Never did any load development with these but this load shot in the low .2s before.

First time using a tuner as well. No adjustments but it was on the end of the barrel.. let's just say it shot lights fucking out..

28" PVA 6BR Bartlein HV 7.5
Zermatt Single Shot action
BnA TacSport Pro
Area419 Rings
Gen3 Razor
Revolution Benchrest Stock
Seb Neo

Having a 1:8 barrel that I want to use for a 100y competition, what would be your barrel choice? I would like to kill the harmonics with stiffest barrel possible and decided on 22" barrel, but predicted velocity is 2750fps with N140.
What barrel length would you go with? I know 1:8 is not ideal for 100y, but that's what I have. Does velocity matter that much at 100y?

Oh, im well aware of twists most used for short range br, as well as the bullets they use. But the twist still has nothing to do with the distance.

Reactions: Rover31 and lash
Having a 1:8 barrel that I want to use for a 100y competition, what would be your barrel choice? I would like to kill the harmonics with stiffest barrel possible and decided on 22" barrel, but predicted velocity is 2750fps with N140.
What barrel length would you go with? I know 1:8 is not ideal for 100y, but that's what I have. Does velocity matter that much at 100y?
I have competed in 100 yard score comps with a 28 " 1:8 using 80 grain Bergers . It was chambered for heavy bullets so I have to jump them a ways . Not ideal but I found slowing them down made a huge difference . 100 yd does not require that much speed . I have made reduced loads with H4895 that shot the same as the jazzed up loads at 100 .

Reactions: lash and Geno C.
I have competed in 100 yard score comps with a 28 " 1:8 using 80 grain Bergers . It was chambered for heavy bullets so I have to jump them a ways . Not ideal but I found slowing them down made a huge difference . 100 yd does not require that much speed . I have made reduced loads with H4895 that shot the same as the jazzed up loads at 100 .
I have on 28" 1:8 rig chambered for 105 hybrids that I shoot up to 800yds. However for a 100y competition I was thinking about going 22" with a 1:8 spare barrel that I have. It's a BR score competition. What do you think?

I have on 28" 1:8 rig chambered for 105 hybrids that I shoot up to 800yds. However for a 100y competition I was thinking about going 22" with a 1:8 spare barrel that I have. It's a BR score competition. What do you think?
Sounds like a great way to use it . I have often thought of shortening mine for 100 score to balance it with my bench rest stock that weighs very little , but it shoots great the way it is so I leave it alone . I bet 22" makes for a good length for the short range feel .

The new MPA PMR Pro II hammers.
6BR
26” Match Contour PVA Barrel, 1:7 twist
ARC CDG SA
MPA Matrix Pro
Bix’n Andy TacSport Pro Trigger set at 1#
Burris XTR Pro w/ Burris XTR Signature Rings

Load (SD: 3.9, ES: 10.5)
30.3 grains N150
0.021 off lands
Berger 105 OTM Hybrids
Lapua Brass
CCI 450 primers

First picture I was just messing with different powder charges (it still shot lights out) and now I’ve got it dialed in with the seating depth as well and shot two sub 1/4” groups to wrap er up. First time reloader and glad I went with the BR.

Attachments

• IMG_3183.jpeg
    IMG_3183.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3200.jpeg
    IMG_3200.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-20 16:06:52.023629.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-20 16:06:52.023629.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Thank you for this so very valuable information, I’m sure it’s nowhere mentioned in the 20 pages of this thread…
lol. 😂 Cut the new guy some slack T, like most people when they happen upon a thread, he probably didn’t read anything past the last couple posts. At least it was accurate information.

Reactions: Secondistic
lol. 😂 Cut the new guy some slack T, like most people when they happen upon a thread, he probably didn’t read anything past the last couple posts. At least it was accurate information.
You’re right… my bad.

• Haha
Hey gang!

I’m shooting a PRS match this weekend with a new barrel (85 rounds total), and I can’t get back to the range before the competition. I’d like to have 200 rounds through this barrel, but life revolves around work and not my hobbies. At any rate this is the data.

Lapua, CCI450, Varget, Berger Hybrid 105

29.4gr = avg 2728, sd 5, es 13
29.6 = 2749, 4, 10
29.8 = 2781, 11, 31
30 = 2806, 6.7, 15
30.2 = 2814, 12, 31
30.4 = 2848, 8, 19

Three possible options:
1.) 29.5gr: sacrifice a little speed for a tight SD in what looks like an obvious node
2.) 30gr: it works
3.) Whatever. F*ck it. It doesn’t matter, because my barrel is still changing.

Thoughts? What should I load up for the comp this weekend?

Hey gang!

I’m shooting a PRS match this weekend with a new barrel (85 rounds total), and I can’t get back to the range before the competition. I’d like to have 200 rounds through this barrel, but life revolves around work and not my hobbies. At any rate this is the data.

29.6 = 2749, 4, 10
29.8 = 2781, 11, 31
30 = 2806, 6.7, 15
30.2 = 2814, 12, 31
30.4 = 2848, 8, 19

Three possible options:
1.) 29.5gr: sacrifice a little speed for a tight SD in what looks like an obvious node

I’d run 29.5 for the match, and recheck afterwards or when you get past 200 rounds.

Reactions: lash and TDWilson
What node are you referring to?? Target to post?

If you don't have a test target to show consistent POI's from one charge to the next then honestly I'd just go 30gr Varget 0.010 off the lands. Shoots stupid small groups in so many 6BR barrels of mine over the years...

How many shots are each of those samples?

5 shots per group. I know the group size is ideal for positive confirmation of a “best group,” but it may reveal groups that will not be successful.

Group size actually isn't what your looking for. Tune for group size with seating depth after. I'd just shoot 30gr varget 0.01 off

5 shots per group. I know the group size is ideal for positive confirmation of a “best group,” but it may reveal groups that will not be successful.
In that case my only advice is, work to live. Don’t live to work.

Reactions: TDWilson
Hey gang!

29.6 = 2749, 4, 10
29.8 = 2781, 11, 31
30 = 2806, 6.7, 15
30.2 = 2814, 12, 31
30.4 = 2848, 8, 19

Three possible options:

I use identical components to you and I tested 4 powder charges.

In the end I settled on 30.4 (runs at ~2850 from a 28" pipe) but all 4 powder charges gave crazy good groups. All of these were with 0.070" jump (I read the article Mark Gordon did on jump and went with 0.070"), from what I can tell 105 hybrids aren't jump sensitive at all. The gun has consistently been 0.25 MOA and sometimes less.

6BR has been awesome for me, there is nothing not to like.

All of these were with 0.070" jump (I read the article Mark Gordon did on jump and went with 0.070"), from what I can tell 105 hybrids aren't jump sensitive at all.
Agree completely. I read Cal Zant’s articles at precisionrifleblog.com that reference Mark Gordon’s work and the evidence was compelling. I do the same and seat at .070 off the lands. It makes perfect sense to avoid the unpredictable changes that occur between .020 and .060.

i’m loading to 30gr for the comp this weekend. That will put the barrel’s round count at > 180.
My plan:
-shoot the comp and get my ass kicked
-clean the rilfe
-retest 29.4 to 30.4 in 0.2gr increments (10 rounds each)
-post results

Reactions: Secondistic
i’m loading to 30gr for the comp this weekend. That will put the barrel’s round count at > 180.
My plan:
-shoot the comp and get my ass kicked
-clean the rilfe
-retest 29.4 to 30.4 in 0.2gr increments (10 rounds each)
-post results

Solid plan.

Your retest criteria is almost identical to what I did initially and my biggest obstacle was deciding which group was best as they were all pretty darned good.

In the end I decided to go with 30.4gr as it was right on the 2850 speed that I wanted and so far it has been excellent, the gun is crazy accurate.

Reactions: TDWilson
I know this is a reloading thread, but wondered if a 6BR shooter could help me out with a quick number. I would like to show up this week for a limited time 1000 yard practice, but I'm not sure if my scope/ring/base combination will get me out to 1000 yards (Sightron SIII 10-50X specs say 50MOA total Elevation). I have a regular 6BR shooting 105 Berger Hybrids with 30.4 gr. Varget. I don't know the MV, but assume typical for that powder and load (~2800fps?). What I need is a rough idea of the scope elevation change in MOA from a 100 yard zero to 1000 yards to determine if I need to add some MOA to the base/rings so I don't show up unable to dial in at 1000 yards. I know the scope setup will do 600 yards, but not sure about 1000. Any help appreciated. (I will eventually use StrelokPro to do calcs once I have good data.)

^^^^^ Correct, I run almost an identical setup with a muzzle velocity @2850 and my numbers come out at 29.3 MOA for 1000 yards.

I went up to 30grs of N140 behind 109hybrids the other day in a 25”Bart in lapua brass /205. Jumping .025” velocity was 2700. I thought it would be faster.