• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Crusader

Re: 6mm Crusader

I was given a used 1-13 Twist 3 groove match barrel to try out my new 6mm Crusader reamer on. No idea how many rounds on it, or what was shot through it. Figured I could use it to form cases while I hunted (before I started playing with the subsonics). That's what I originally bought the 60 SHP bullets for, along with some H414.

It finished at only 20" long since he had been cutting pieces off of it from the chamber end to make dies and breaks.

P1060055.jpg

Top left group was in the 27" 1-8 Twist with 44, 46 and 50 gr. of H414. Didn't want to bother putting a pressure sensor on the new (old) barrel. Pressure is definitely higher in this short barrel (probably due a tighter bore). The bottom center groups is a bunch of rounds loaded from between 50.0-54.0 gr. in the short barrel (still under 1"). I lost almost exactly 300 fps. with 50.0 gr. from what I had in the 27" barrel. Haven't ran an OCW test with it yet or anything.

Got at chance to try an Alpha mag over the weekend. Unfortunately, you cannot get 10 rounds of 6mm Crusader into them.
frown.gif

The shoulder on the Crusader case extends past the ribs that are next to the neck of the cartridge in the pic below. If you try and push them in, after the 7th round they start pushing the sides of the mag out.

8.jpg

2000 round milestone and further testing of the 117 g. Matrix VLD:

P1060111.jpg

Once again, just loaded them to the same velocity as the DTAC, at mag length and shot them.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span> In further testing the following day, it seems that the J4 jacket on these bullets cannot stand the velocities I'm running them at. As the bore fouled, there seems to have been a gradual build-up of copper, which eventually lead to a significant number of these bullets disintegrating in flight, before reaching the target.

POI on these bullets has been pretty much identical to the 115 DTAC, when launched at the same velocity, out to 550 yards. I'm going to inquire with the maker and see if it is possible to get these bullets with a thicker jacket.

I got a chance to test US869 with 115 DTACs. I literally couldn't stuff enough of it into the case to cause over-pressure. Loading to mag length, with my 27" barrel I was able to get a little over 3100 fps. I bet this powder would generate some great velocities in a 32" barrel with the bullets seated out all the way.

Also, I've got 9 rounds feeding perfectly out of a 10 rd. Accurate Mag with the front plate removed. I had to re-cut the feed ramp on the M700. Just plunging with a 1/4" endmill is insufficient, the tips of the bullet get hung up on the sides of it if you try to strip them off too quickly.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship available by custom order!!.</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">We're sorry but as of September 2012, we are no longer offering this as one of our loading's. However we will gladly load you a reduced power 6mm Remington to allow you to fire form your own brass for reloading. Thank you.</span>

Copper Creek Cartridge Co. </span>[/color]</span>

Reactions: C.K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship.

<span style="color: #FF0000">
Copper Creek Cartridge Co. </span></span></span> </div></div>This is huge! The onto thing holding me back from a 6 crusader last time was the brass. Looks like I have no excuse now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship.

Copper Creek Cartridge Co. </span></span></span> </div></div>This is huge! The onto thing holding me back from a 6 crusader last time was the brass. Looks like I have no excuse now.</div></div>

Fire forming is no fun, It's Slow and tedious work. Might as well get it out of the way as quick as possible!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship.

Copper Creek Cartridge Co. </span></span></span> </div></div>

What is the price per box? I agree with bm11, the one thing holding me back from the 6 Crusader was the hydroforming of brass. Seems like A LOT of work for one cartridge.

This is great news!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship.

What is the price per box? I agree with bm11, the one thing holding me back from the 6 Crusader was the hydroforming of brass. Seems like A LOT of work for one cartridge.

This is great news! </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Gents,

The cost of the loaded ammunition will be $29.99 for 20 rounds loaded with 115 DTAC's. The Prepared brass will be $37.99 per 50 pieces and you can upgrade to have it chamferred & deburred and/or Primed.

Anyone interested in any 105gr projectiles or lighter, faster hunting loads please contact me and I will get you a custom quote!!</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">We're sorry but as of September 2012, we are no longer offering this as one of our loading's. However we will gladly load you a reduced power 6mm Remington to allow you to fire form your own brass for reloading. Thank you.</span>

Hoping the weather holds next week! My order should arrive Monday. Thanks Copper Creek!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hoping the weather holds next week! My order should arrive Monday. Thanks Copper Creek!
</div></div>

It's our pleasure. I have been using the 6 Crusader as my match gun and have been very pleased with the results. Its at the ready now hoping a deer wanders in front of my muzzle this evening. I have always been curious if the DTAC expands any...Ill let everyone know what my findings are...

Thanks again,
Josh

Nice to see more options available for the Crusader.

I just ordered a 1-7 twist barrel that I am going to cut short and use for fire forming with subsonic rounds. Fire forming with them is giving me the lowest neck runouts of any method I have used so far to blow out the shoulder. It also makes the case length shrink instead of it growing like it does when fireforming with supersonic loads. As a result, I have yet to get a donut, which would occasionally happen with hotter supersonic loads.

Tested the new thick jacketed Matrix Ballistics 117 gr. VLD over the weekend at 800 yards. Shot it in a round-robin sequence with the pointed DTAC. It was running around 20 fps. slower than the DTAC, but still hit higher and was deflected less by the wind (same POI at 100 yard zero). I'm estimating the BC to be around 50 points higher than the DTAC and it could probably be improved slightly with pointing. None of the thick jacketed bullet blew up in flight with velocities in excess of 3200 fps.

tag for brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Its at the ready now hoping a deer wanders in front of my muzzle this evening. I have always been curious if the DTAC expands any...Ill let everyone know what my findings are...

Thanks again,
Josh </div></div>

115 DTAC vs. whitetail... any questions ?
smile.gif

2008_wt_bullet_channel.JPG

Yes, did you hit that deer in the spine ? Do you have any coyote pics with same ? I was thinking about taking my 243 coyote hunting a time or three this year using same bullets

Whitetail was high shoulder shot. DRT. took out both shoulders and spine.

Rifle is not 6mm Crusader, but here is the 115 DTAC results ARP....

4 dead coyotes, no inside pics though... 243AI 115 Dtacs

2nd coyote from top was facing straight to me.. good damage. not fur friendly....

May_31_08_Coyotes.JPG

243AI 115 Dtacs 423 yards
346012007_Goat_423_yards.JPG

Heart outta the goat

2008_heart_115_DTAC.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whitetail was high shoulder shot. DRT. took out both shoulders and spine.

Rifle is not 6mm Crusader, but here is the 115 DTAC results ARP....

4 dead coyotes, no inside pics though... 243AI 115 Dtacs

2nd coyote from top was facing straight to me.. good damage. not fur friendly....

May_31_08_Coyotes.JPG

243AI 115 Dtacs 423 yards
346012007_Goat_423_yards.JPG

Heart outta the goat

2008_heart_115_DTAC.JPG
</div></div>

Nice work there.

NICE, Scott!
Greg, couple years back, I had my .243 out to the Okie Hunt. The 115DTACs pretty much penciled through on the coyotes I shot with them, not much damage at all. 3075fps...
OPHA2010023.jpg

OPHA2010006.jpg

OPHA2010014.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I won't have any further concern about using them on the coyotes here. I don't mind fur damage near as much as I hate runners. Fred are you coming out again this year ?

I'll be there with bells on! Missed you & the coonazz last year...

Now that you can get fireformed brass and factory ammo for this bad boy i am surprised it hasn't taken off more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that you can get fireformed brass and factory ammo for this bad boy i am surprised it hasn't taken off more. </div></div>

Give it time, maybe it will.

I don't know when I intend to have a rifle put together, but the 6 Crusader has been added to the short "calibers for consideration" list because fireformed brass is now available.

Anyone running a Crusader with 32" barrel? What kind of velocities are you getting with the added length?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is 28" + suppressor. In a folding stock it is not bad to pack around. </div></div>

pics ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone running a Crusader with 32" barrel? What kind of velocities are you getting with the added length?</div></div>

31 inch 1-7.8 Bartlien and have had 115 Dtacs beyond 3300fps using RL25 with a little bit to spare.Accuracy tends to be around 3200-3250.

Currently experimenting with 107 SMKs (cheap) and VV N165.This is being done in the old what I considered to be a shot out barrel and accuracy at 100 yards is awesome! 51.5 grains of N165 gives me 3246 fps with the 107's.

Wait till we finish this gain twist 22-243 pushing 90gr bullet upwards of 3500 fps.....

I don't see it anywhere on your site - either brass or loaded ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CopperCreekAmmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see it anywhere on your site - either brass or loaded ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CopperCreekAmmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">We are proud to announce that we have fully loaded 6mm Crusader ammunition and fire formed brass IN STOCK & ready to ship.

Copper Creek Cartridge Co. </span></span></span> </div></div></div></div>

All the in stock stuff is long gone. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">We can custom produce for you as needed, just shoot me a PM or give me a call at 573-321-4210!!
</span>
<span style="color: #FF0000">We're sorry but as of September 2012, we are no longer offering this as one of our loading's. However we will gladly load you a reduced power 6mm Remington to allow you to fire form your own brass for reloading. Thank you.</span>

No problem, this cartridge has too many minuses, and not enough pluses for a guy with a 260 and 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problem, this cartridge has too many minuses, and not enough pluses for a guy with a 260 and 243.
</div></div>

This is an excellent hunting and varmint caliber, one of the best, but sadly its days as a match caliber are in the past..the 6mm creedmoor is the answer for matches now!

I won't be switching from the Crusader any time soon... not in a bolt gun anyway. I think the new RL-33 is going to take this round to new levels...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't be switching from the Crusader any time soon... not in a bolt gun anyway. I think the new RL-33 is going to take this round to new levels... </div></div>

Me neither ! My 6mm Crusader is here to stay
grin.gif

H4350 and the 105 Amax rock !

Ok,
1. Can this be built in my short action?

I have a savage with staggered feed blind mag
If so, what would have to be done? (So I can tell my gunsmith what I want to build.)

I won't be giving my 6 Crusader up either. Its a hammer and while match rules are changing not all of my rigs are match practical, at all. This caliber crushes steel and wild game. I took a coyote at nearly 700 yards with it from an elevated position and it seemed to drop as soon as I pulled the trigger!

One of my favorite calibers to date!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't be giving my 6 Crusader up either. Its a hammer and while match rules are changing not all of my rigs are match practical, at all. This caliber crushes steel and wild game. I took a coyote at nearly 700 yards with it from an elevated position and it seemed to drop as soon as I pulled the trigger!

One of my favorite calibers to date! </div></div>

Yes sir, agreed !! it is a hammer !

watch my boy here
grin.gif
amazing how fast it drops.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5EFBRvPhgic&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5EFBRvPhgic&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good video SM! I'd love to have country like that around me. Hard to find good shooting spots here. You either have small town and cities or mountains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SM, can I hire your son for shooting lessons? </div></div>

sure thing !
grin.gif

here he is at even a younger age..11 years old.
cool.gif
Proud papa !
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLjmtFjhnXw&feature=context-chv"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLjmtFjhnXw&feature=context-chv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

My Crusader is an out and out F class rifle and a definite keeper. Not only does it keep up with the 7mm's, on occasions it leaves them behind
smile.gif