• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Dasher

Jumping into the Dasher pool. I have 400 of the Peterson brass, a couple hundred Sierra 107s to break in the barrel, and a couple thousand of the Berger 109s for after break in. Had the barrel chambered with a .104" FB and a .275" neck for the thicker Peterson brass. I have Varget and Rl16 to play with, any idea on a starting load for both powders? Going to send some fired brass to Harrells for a bushing die as soon as I get 3 firings on some.
For break in I usually just throw in 30 grains of Varget for the first 200 rounds. Then load development. I usually land between 32.2-32.6 for a speed of 2940-2960. If you want to run slower like a lot have been doing lately I’d shoot for 31.0 and work up.

Reactions: 260284
27" rock creek cut by PVA
.104 free bore
32.6 gr xbr 8208
95gr SMK
3118 fps SD 2 fps
1.758 and 1.755" BTO

Attachments

• 20210225_121601.jpg
    20210225_121601.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 224
Jumping into the Dasher pool. I have 400 of the Peterson brass, a couple hundred Sierra 107s to break in the barrel, and a couple thousand of the Berger 109s for after break in. Had the barrel chambered with a .104" FB and a .275" neck for the thicker Peterson brass. I have Varget and Rl16 to play with, any idea on a starting load for both powders? Going to send some fired brass to Harrells for a bushing die as soon as I get 3 firings on some.
Most I’ve read start around 33 gr with RL16. You’ll need a long drop tube as you approach 34 grains coz that brass has less capacity and RL16 is bulky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
1-7.5 twist Bartlein Blank
28" M24 Contour
.274 Neck Dia. and .120 Freebore
Berger 105 and 108 bullets

Whats your opinions on this barrel for 600 yard F Class ???

Reactions: V-Ref
For break in I usually just throw in 30 grains of Varget for the first 200 rounds. Then load development. I usually land between 32.2-32.6 for a speed of 2940-2960. If you want to run slower like a lot have been doing lately I’d shoot for 31.0 and work up.
Thanks. I will weigh some of the Dasher brass, but Peterson 6.5 Creed brass is heavier than Lapua, so if it holds true for the Dasher brass, it will have less capacity than Lapua. I will probably start at 30 to see where I am at.

Reactions: CV_Ag
1-7.5 twist Bartlein Blank
28" M24 Contour
.274 Neck Dia. and .120 Freebore
Berger 105 and 108 bullets

Whats your opinions on this barrel for 600 yard F Class ???
The barrels a little light with and m24 and if you are gonna run lapua brass (no turn) you need two tighten that neck up to .272

That’s a good set up for prs but not
fclass

If your just out to play and have fun go with that if your out to win heavy and tight

Working up a load for my Dasher- had a lot of nice 100 yard groups- but the velocity nodes is what I am looking for here
Varget / 105 Berger Hybrid Target / Virgin Alpha OCD Brass / Remington BR-7 1/2s
CBTO: 1.776" COAL: 2.394" jump of .005 based on measurements. Tests are with rounds 198-248 so barrel should be up to speed now.
no pressure signs in the primer/brass/bolt lift - but surprised at the results. Any thoughts here?

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 341
Thanks. I will weigh some of the Dasher brass, but Peterson 6.5 Creed brass is heavier than Lapua, so if it holds true for the Dasher brass, it will have less capacity than Lapua. I will probably start at 30 to see where I am at.
Weighed some fired Lapua Dasher brass with the spent primer and new Peterson Dasher brass without any primer. The Peterson is 13-14 heavier than the Lapua. I loaded 10 each with 29, 29.5, and 30.0 of Varget under 107s .030 off the lands. Hopefully I can get some time to shoot soon.

Working up a load for my Dasher- had a lot of nice 100 yard groups- but the velocity nodes is what I am looking for here
Varget / 105 Berger Hybrid Target / Virgin Alpha OCD Brass / Remington BR-7 1/2s
CBTO: 1.776" COAL: 2.394" jump of .005 based on measurements. Tests are with rounds 198-248 so barrel should be up to speed now.
no pressure signs in the primer/brass/bolt lift - but surprised at the results. Any thoughts here?

I have 2 Dashers that I load for both had 150- 200 rounds through them during this test. I used all the same components except Lapua vs Alpha brass. Node we landed on was 32.5 Varget. Here’s the data from both rifles at that node.

Rifle 1. ES SD Avg
32.4 6 2.3 2927
32.5 23 8.9 2935
32.6 16 6.4 2943

Rifle 2. ES. SD. Avg
32.4 8 4.0 2937
32.5 5 2.1 2941
32.6 14 5.9 2940

I would have expected around 2950 so my barrels may still speed up a bit.

I have 2 Dashers that I load for both had 150- 200 rounds through them during this test. I used all the same components except Lapua vs Alpha brass. Node we landed on was 32.5 Varget. Here’s the data from both rifles at that node.

Rifle 1. ES SD Avg
32.4 6 2.3 2927
32.5 23 8.9 2935
32.6 16 6.4 2943

Rifle 2. ES. SD. Avg
32.4 8 4.0 2937
32.5 5 2.1 2941
32.6 14 5.9 2940

I would have expected around 2950 so my barrels may still speed up a bit.
Rifle 1 is Lapua brass and Rifle 2 Alpha?

Rifle 1 is Lapua brass and Rifle 2 Alpha?
No both of mine were Lapua...Rifle 1 is a buddy who uses my equipment to load and Rifle 2 is mine. Both of us had SAC build a barreled action and use all the same components in hopes of mirroring loads.

GoldieMI said he used Alpha. And take away from his data is that I would like to see 32.3 and 32.5 to confirm he is hitting the 2950-60 node at 32.4 with his Alpha brass but my opinion is for that charge range the data appears in line with my understanding of Dasher loads.

edit: should have mentioned my data is from a 26” Bartlein.

Last edited:
GoldieMI said he used Alpha. And take away from his data is that I would like to see 32.3 and 32.5 to confirm he is hitting the 2950-60 node at 32.4 with his Alpha brass but my opinion is for that charge range the data appears in line with my understanding of Dasher loads.
I am shooting 32.1 -32.6 again this weekend in .1 increments (again in fresh alpha brass) with BR-7.5s to confirm that node.
plus I am doing the 30.6 ladder in .2 increments with CCI 400s (alpha OCD brass, Berger Hybrid Target 105s, Varget, CCI 400s) to see if there is any difference to be found. More to follow

27" Proof Barrel at 1:7.5"

Reactions: Graye2
Dasher 2- looking at lower nodes with BR-7.5s
Dasher 3- another look at the 32.4 and surrounding areas with BR-7.5s
Dasher 5- using CCI-400s
Dasher Work up 2.pngDasher Work up 3.pngDasher Work up 5.png

I got to the range today with my new 6 dasher 26" Hawk Hill chambered by Ice Rifles on my Tikka action in a KRG Bravo with a Hellfire gen 3 brake. I have Lapua brass that has been Hydro-Formed by DJ's. I previously put 16 total rounds on it in order to send 3 cases that were fired 3 times each off to Harrels Precision for a sizing die. This time I brought 20 cases with 105 Hybrid Bergers, CCI 450 primers loaded 40 thou off lands with Varget ranging from 30.5 grains up to 32.4 grains.
I tried to maintain even timing between shots so the chamber was not overly hot. Found that 31.8(2892 fps), 31.9 (2898), 32.0(2894), looks like a good target speed for this barrel. The speed went up from there 10 fps 32.1(2904).
So I guess now I will load some more up at 31.8 grains and try various base to ogive distances centered around 50,000 off in groups of 5 and test them at 200 or 300 yards. I realize some of you probably prefer to find the jump first before the speed but I had to start someplace and this is what I figured. I am guessing the barrel may speed up a bit once it gets more rounds thru it.
I think the rifle is very accurate from what I see and am very happy with it. I am pretty new to this load development process and do not have much experience other than a couple of 6.5 CM barrels. This Dasher is going to be nice. I may even shoot a match with it next weekend if work does not get in the way of my time to get ready.

I got to the range today with my new 6 dasher 26" Hawk Hill chambered by Ice Rifles on my Tikka action in a KRG Bravo with a Hellfire gen 3 brake. I have Lapua brass that has been Hydro-Formed by DJ's. I previously put 16 total rounds on it in order to send 3 cases that were fired 3 times each off to Harrels Precision for a sizing die. This time I brought 20 cases with 105 Hybrid Bergers, CCI 450 primers loaded 40 thou off lands with Varget ranging from 30.5 grains up to 32.4 grains.
I tried to maintain even timing between shots so the chamber was not overly hot. Found that 31.8(2892 fps), 31.9 (2898), 32.0(2894), looks like a good target speed for this barrel. The speed went up from there 10 fps 32.1(2904).
So I guess now I will load some more up at 31.8 grains and try various base to ogive distances centered around 50,000 off in groups of 5 and test them at 200 or 300 yards. I realize some of you probably prefer to find the jump first before the speed but I had to start someplace and this is what I figured. I am guessing the barrel may speed up a bit once it gets more rounds thru it.
I think the rifle is very accurate from what I see and am very happy with it. I am pretty new to this load development process and do not have much experience other than a couple of 6.5 CM barrels. This Dasher is going to be nice. I may even shoot a match with it next weekend if work does not get in the way of my time to get ready.
I generally don’t do any load development or draw any conclusions until I have at least 100-150 rounds through my barrel. I just load a mild load and shoot club matches or practice.

I generally don’t do any load development or draw any conclusions until I have at least 100-150 rounds through my barrel. I just load a mild load and shoot club matches or practice.
Is there a specific reason to do that? Like in order to form the brass exact to the chamber or something? There is a flatter node that is milder I could try for a while at 31.1 grains, it hit 2836, 2838 and 3836 again in one tenth increments.

Attachments

• 6 dasher.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 145
Is there a specific reason to do that? Like in order to form the brass exact to the chamber or something? There is a flatter node that is milder I could try for a while at 31.1 grains, it hit 2836, 2838 and 3836 again in one tenth increments.
If you’re looking for velocity nodes on a barrel, most barrels will increase in velocity anywhere from 50-100 fps after the first 100-200 rounds, so until that barrel settles in then your node isn’t a node because it will be changing constantly.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
it seams everyone is seeing some good success with the 105s sitting at .020 OTL ?

im struggling with getting me Es and Sd down. Granted im using up some Winchester primers that could be causing problems, on top of virgin Alpha brass.

it seams everyone is seeing some good success with the 105s sitting at .020 OTL ?

im struggling with getting me Es and Sd down. Granted im using up some Winchester primers that could be causing problems, on top of virgin Alpha brass.

I don’t know why people always want to stick to 0.020 jump...

ES and SD are functions of( in order of effect ):

- powder charge grain variation.
- Seating depth
- Primer choice
- Neck tension

So do a proper seating depth test and you’ll discover that 0.020 jump mean shit then make sure your powder charge/neck tension is good and test other primers.

Do that and your ES/SD will be single digits .

i have no idea what the jump is on my dasher but it has to be over .060. I just know i have a .012 "node" of depth that the groups are bug hole and POI doesn't change.

I don’t know why people always want to stick to 0.020 jump...

ES and SD are functions of( in order of effect ):

- powder charge grain variation.
- Seating depth
- Primer choice
- Neck tension

So do a proper seating depth test and you’ll discover that 0.020 jump mean shit then make sure your powder charge/neck tension is good and test other primers.

Do that and your ES/SD will be single digits .

Thank you

Im running an Auto trickle V3 on an Fx120 so my throws are absolute. seating depth needs work. Neck tension will be done on annealed, sized . mandrel cases on a Zero press. Primers are Winchester SRPs just b/c I had 300 of them and I hate 300 cases to fire form to my chamber so Im only taking my issues with a grain of salt at this point

Reactions: Raufoss
Thank you

Im running an Auto trickle V3 on an Fx120 so my throws are absolute. seating depth needs work. Neck tension will be done on annealed, sized . mandrel cases on a Zero press. Primers are Winchester SRPs just b/c I had 300 of them and I hate 300 cases to fire form to my chamber so Im only taking my issues with a grain of salt at this point

rock solid setup. Hey no judgment on primer in those time you gotta to do with what you can find.

Guys I am running into a weird issue and I can't really wrap my head around it, so I am hoping that someone else has run into this and understands it. Just spun on a new Dasher barrel (1:7.5", 26" IBI, .104" FB) and this is the third one I have played with, so I decided to start getting some initial speed and accuracy numbers off of it with 80 rounds through it.

Started off by testing some old ammo for the last barrel: 108 gr ELD-M, .070" jump (this barrel), Lapua brass (formed to old barrel, same reamer), CCI 400's and they shot 2824 fps (~2870 in the old barrel before I pulled it). Which is okay because this barrel is still speeding up.

So then I proceeded to shoot 5 rounds of 108 ELD-M's, 109 Berger LRHT's and 110 A-Tips, at 4 different powder loads of Varget (60 shots total). What I was seeing is that the 108's were consistently 40-50 fps faster than the 109's and 110's and reached a pressure peak early! This doesn't really make a ton of sense to me as I would imagine that they'd all be at a closer speed, but maybe there is something that I am missing? Bearing length? Bullet profile/shape? Something else completely?

Any insight is appreciated and sorry for the longer question.

Josh

Guys I am running into a weird issue and I can't really wrap my head around it, so I am hoping that someone else has run into this and understands it. Just spun on a new Dasher barrel (1:7.5", 26" IBI, .104" FB) and this is the third one I have played with, so I decided to start getting some initial speed and accuracy numbers off of it with 80 rounds through it.

Started off by testing some old ammo for the last barrel: 108 gr ELD-M, .070" jump (this barrel), Lapua brass (formed to old barrel, same reamer), CCI 400's and they shot 2824 fps (~2870 in the old barrel before I pulled it). Which is okay because this barrel is still speeding up.

So then I proceeded to shoot 5 rounds of 108 ELD-M's, 109 Berger LRHT's and 110 A-Tips, at 4 different powder loads of Varget (60 shots total). What I was seeing is that the 108's were consistently 40-50 fps faster than the 109's and 110's and reached a pressure peak early! This doesn't really make a ton of sense to me as I would imagine that they'd all be at a closer speed, but maybe there is something that I am missing? Bearing length? Bullet profile/shape? Something else completely?

Josh

Do u know what kind of jump you're running with the 109s and 110s? Might be too close to jamming them maybe?

Josh
Well why do you assume you hit pressure too early?
Your barrel is new and your shooting two heavier bullet . Expecting to shoot the same speed than a bullet 1 gr or 2 gr heavier and with a different profile is kind of making bad assumptions.

And your using a short freebore that fit a 105 gr better than heavier pills.

Also there is nothing wrong in running those 109 and 110 at 2800 fps...

with that FB and that amount of jump, im curious how compressed your loads are? what is your charge weight on your Varget throws?

Do u know what kind of jump you're running with the 109s and 110s? Might be too close to jamming them maybe?
They were all .070"+ jump, the 109's and 110's had a slightly (.005"-.010") longer jump as I have found the 108's and 109's shoot great with a longer leap out of my barrels.

Well why do you assume you hit pressure too early?
Your barrel is new and your shooting two heavier bullet . Expecting to shoot the same speed than a bullet 1 gr or 2 gr heavier and with a different profile is kind of making bad assumptions.

And your using a short freebore that fit a 105 gr better than heavier pills.

Also there is nothing wrong in running those 109 and 110 at 2800 fps...
Don't get me wrong that I agree with you, just still confused by the weird performance between the three bullets. I am not expecting them all to shoot the same, it is just a little strange that the 109's and 110's shot basically the same numbers, but the 108's were so different. If anything, I would expect the 108's to shoot a little slower than the others due to the long bearing surface and tangent ogive!

I also agree with your last two statements and my end goal is to have all three of these bullets running a load at around 2825-2875 ft/s mark.

with that FB and that amount of jump, im curious how compressed your loads are? what is your charge weight on your Varget throws?
30.5 - 32.0 gr Varget. Started hitting pressure at the 32 gr node, but yes, the bullets are jammed pretty far back into the case to get that kind of jump. I will be tinkering with a throat reamer soon to push that out a little further!

Thanks all!
Josh

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Got lucky and shot this group today at 1092 yards while checking dope for the Vortex Rampage this weekend. Don't pay any attention to that little guy on lower right, they can't all be winners. First shot was left edge also, but corrected wind call after that. Looks like it would have been in there also.

6 dasher
Lapua brass
107 Sierra
32.3 varget
2930fps w/ es of 4 over 5 shots

Attachments

• 20210520_151050.jpg
    20210520_151050.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 198
Started playing with the dasher again after screwing around with the GT and being let down. Had my proof barreled GT set back and rechambered, so barrel length is around 23 3/4" with an ultra 7 suppressor.
Varget with a 110 atip shoots really well with a great node at 31.5 grains, but it's a little slow. Went up to 32.1 grains and started to see some glinting of TL3 ejector. Was just doing 3 shot velocity tests to check SD while I was working a load up.
20210527_155016.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-05-27 18:29:01.065828.png

Reactions: CV_Ag and BLKWLFK9
Never tried cfe223 but yes you’re right, the new StaBall is catching my attention. Been seeing shooters say the same thing. Loading with a powder dump and it’s money every time.
I'm looking at a Proof pre-fit 26" Dasher later this year....if anyone here has run StaBall in the Proof I'd love to year your results. Thanks

I'm looking at a Proof pre-fit 26" Dasher later this year....if anyone here has run StaBall in the Proof I'd love to year your results. Thanks
I've heard Staball carbon fouls pretty bad in other cartridges; any reports for the Dasher?

I ran some Staball loads in my Dasher with very good results.
My normal load I run 31.6 Gr of Varget and get 2,880 FPS, Lapua - CCI 450 w/ Berger 105’s.

33.1 Gr Staball same components as above 2,790 FPS out of a 26” Kreiger.

Never seen the carbon fouling as mentioned above. Could have went higher on charge weight but like the accuracy of the mild load.

Reactions: Yoteski
I've heard Staball carbon fouls pretty bad in other cartridges; any reports for the Dasher?
I use it with my Dasher and 223 rem and there is definitely more carbon than some powder but I find it just like than Varget . Nothing that bad

I ran some Staball loads in my Dasher with very good results.
My normal load I run 31.6 Gr of Varget and get 2,880 FPS, Lapua - CCI 450 w/ Berger 105’s.

33.1 Gr Staball same components as above 2,790 FPS out of a 26” Kreiger.

Never seen the carbon fouling as mentioned above. Could have went higher on charge weight but like the accuracy of the mild load.
Great like that thanks for the info.

How is the new OCD alpha brass. I know a lot of people didn’t like the first version. I’m having Spartan make me a no neck turn bartlien prefit. Does the OCD require a special reamer or will it work in a chamber made for lapua. I’m going to run lapua but have interest in trying the OCD alpha too

How is the new OCD alpha brass. I know a lot of people didn’t like the first version. I’m having Spartan make me a no neck turn bartlien prefit. Does the OCD require a special reamer or will it work in a chamber made for lapua. I’m going to run lapua but have interest in trying the OCD alpha too
I have used 500 of the OCD alpha brass for about 3 firings. Really really good stuff. No special reamer required. The neck thickness is the same as Lapua. The overall length was pretty much exactly the same as fireformed Lapua brass. I think mine was 1.540". No issues using it with the exact same load as my hydroformed and fireformed Lapua brass. My velocity was within 10 FPS with the same load. No difference in precision that I can tell.

I have used 500 of the OCD alpha brass for about 3 firings. Really really good stuff. No special reamer required. The neck thickness is the same as Lapua. The overall length was pretty much exactly the same as fireformed Lapua brass. I think mine was 1.540". No issues using it with the exact same load as my hydroformed and fireformed Lapua brass. My velocity was within 10 FPS with the same load. No difference in precision that I can tell.
Alpha has them in stock right now so I ordered some. I wonder how the longevity will be vs lapua.

What die are you using to size your brass?

Free bore?

or are you asking about jump? Because I think those are 2 different things

my guess is they run them up closer to the lands than I run my hybrids at based on a few I tried at 50,000 off.
No I’m asking what Freebore everyone is using in their chambers for the 110 Atips

Reactions: CV_Ag