• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing 6x47 for hunting?

fredjake1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
Thinking about having one builtand wondering if anyone using for hunting(deer and smaller game). Looking for any load suggstion also.

Re: 6x47 for hunting?

Mine should be finished up in the next few weeks. plan on shooting 105 bergers for deer sized game and smaller.

Works well.

I run a 22" 6x47. H4350 with berger 105 hunting vld's at 3050.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seven mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Works well.

I run a 22" 6x47. H4350 with berger 105 hunting vld's at 3050. </div></div>

almost the same, put 26" inch tube and amaxes at 3036. Great round and puts them down. inherently accurate caliber !

my specs:

Stiller Predator action
Stiller 20 MOA rail
Krieger 7.5 twist light palma barrel at 26"
Jewell HVR at 15 oz.
McMillan Classic stock
HS bottom metal
Cerakote black
NF 2.5-10x32 on it now

100_01762.jpg

100_0178.jpg

100_01741.jpg

Scott_2009_101.jpg

I used mine last year on Axis Deer and Mouflon Sheep. I had no issues was using 105 A-Max and Re17. Worked up a load with the 115 Bergers that are very accurate hoping to use that this coming season and see how it does.

DSC017892.JPG

DSC01797.JPG

Used mine for white tail with great results. Launching 95gr nbt and berger 105. Longest shot on a deer was 305 and closest was at the bottom of the treestand.

I don't know why I had to stop and think a minute. This is the 47mm Swiss case, not the .223 Rem Mag case. Which is a fine case in itself for light rifles but certainly won't do the loads/velocities I'm seeing above.

Typically, how much less powder do you use with this vs. a .243?

sandwarrior, I run 39gr in the 6x47 and about 44gr in the 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ollie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sandwarrior, I run 39gr in the 6x47 and about 44gr in the 243.</div></div>

Thanks, what flavor powder?

h4350.
This load works in my guns. It may not work in yours. I bit hot in the 243

I am getting ready to build one for a light weight deer rifle. My buddy dropped a huge 4x4 Mule Deer at 500 yards in his tracks with a 130gr Berger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why I had to stop and think a minute. This is the 47mm Swiss case, not the .223 Rem Mag case. Which is a fine case in itself for light rifles but certainly won't do the loads/velocities I'm seeing above.

Typically, how much less powder do you use with this vs. a .243? </div></div>

I think the OP may be talking about the 6mm on the 6.5x47 LAPUA case which is a popular wildcat, not the RAUG mfg. 6x47 Swiss Match - a round whose brass is nearly unobtainable in the USA.

Post above must be re: 6.5mm Lapua. Don't know of any 130gr. 6mm's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why I had to stop and think a minute. This is the 47mm Swiss case, not the .223 Rem Mag case. Which is a fine case in itself for light rifles but certainly won't do the loads/velocities I'm seeing above.

Typically, how much less powder do you use with this vs. a .243? </div></div>

I think the OP may be talking about the 6mm on the 6.5x47 LAPUA case which is a popular wildcat, not the RAUG mfg. 6x47 Swiss Match - a round whose brass is nearly unobtainable in the USA.

Post above must be re: 6.5mm Lapua. Don't know of any 130gr. 6mm's.</div></div>

Okay, I need to test my knowledge here. Isn't the 6.5x47 Lapua based on the necked up 6x47 Swiss (that went by the wayside in favor of their own version of the 5.56)?

Edit:

Which would mean this is pretty much the 'necked back down' version?

Edit II:

Okay, after some research I'm still under the understanding the 6.5x47 IS based of the 6x47 Swiss Match case. However, Lapua specifically used small rifle primers to help with accuracy. I don't know what RUAG used. I had a bunch of late production GP-11 that was Berdan primed. So who knows. Feel free to jump in with any knowledge you've got.

And, to the OP, Yes I like this round. More economical than a .243 and probably even a 6mm XC. I killed nine deer with a .243 and know a guy who killed as many elk with his. It's no slouch for big game. It is definite proof you don't need a 'truck' to kill a big animal. Nice pics too, you guys.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/6mmComparisonx400.jpg

http://ammoguide.com/gfx/web/cmprs/6mms.gif

As you can see, indeed, the 6.5x47 Lapua, AND the 6x47 SwM are Very close.

On a side note, ballistic gack/stats never killed anything.

Shot placement THRU vital organs w/good bullets that destroys tissue does - everytime.

I am stunned Lapua has yet to make the 6x47 Lapua legit, BUT they told me when asked about 6x47 AND 260 brass in '07 and '09 at SHOT they would not mfg it - and in '11 - now they will do 260.

Unless there are issues/concerns on patent infringement against RUAG, MAYBE they will do the 6mm someday. I'd always rather a proper headstamp and remove any sizing step.

If Swiss Match brass were widely available AND economical, I'd love to shoot one.

6.5BR,

Whatever it is based on, it's different enough that I would say, "Not the same."

Funny how this cartridge combination comes back around to 'almost the same' again as the 6mm Int. Except back then no one even dreamed of making high BC VLD type bullets for the 6mm's. It was all about speed back then.