• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700 sps tac

stang_j_99

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2011
Bryan TX
I have 0 expirence in LR shooting been want to get into it for some time now. My problem is I dont have the funds to do it. So I have an oppertunity to get a 700 sps tac with a tijicon accupiont 3x9x40 on top for 1100.00 never been fired. I wouldnt think this scope is going to be capable of say 800 yd shots. But again I have no knowledge of what it even takes to get to 800. Is this a step in the right direction? I think the rifle will do the job if i can. So my ideal was to maybe sell the scope and get something more suited for this app. Im sure you guys get tired of seeing this kinda crapp all the time but I wanted to atleast ask some ppl that have knowledge of tLR shooting before i buy this setup. Im going to pull money out w/ 401k loan to get it. Thanks for any advice in advance

Jason

The remington 700 SPS Tac is a great platform to start from. As for the scope, I don't have any personal experience with it, but people shoot out to 1000 yards with fixed 10X scopes. One thing that would steer me away from that particular Trijicon model is the capped scope turrets. Yes, you can take the cover off to adjust them, but if you're planning on shooting at different distances, you will be constantly changing your dope. While that deal seems good, it may not be quite the deal to sink your money into. You could buy the package, and then sell the scope for something with exposed turrets. Or, you may be better of building your own which could be done for a similar cost. Take a look at this video series. You may find it helpful. My dealer has the Remington SPS Tac AAC-SD for $525 so the deals are out there for you to find.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - YouTube

Last edited:
Well dam thought i lucked into a good deal...... was looking at remmys site the barrel on that is 1/12. I dont belive its the aac model.

I think the deal you mentioned is a good deal. it seems the Trijicon scope retails for about $750 alone. I was just mentioning that it may not be the "most" desirable for long range precision shooting where you are adjusting dope settings often.

Well dam thought i lucked into a good deal...... was looking at remmys site the barrel on that is 1/12. I dont belive its the aac model.

If the model gun you are speaking of is a .308 then no it would be 1/10 if it was AAC-SD and 1/12 if it was the varmint and non AAC-SD tactical model with black houge overmolded stock. I have no knowledge of the trijicon scope but I know you can buy a brand new tactical model for less than $600 most everywhere online shipped. And the trijicon not having exposed turrets isn't nessesarily ideal for long range shooting either.

Rem 700 $550
Weaver short action 20 moa base $30 new
Burris xtr medium/low rings $50-55
Falcon menace FFP 4-14x44mm scope $350 new OR
SWFA fixed 10 power scope that's a smoking deal on such a great scope is $300 new

And by doing it this way you have the joy of putting your first precision rifle together yourself!
And by doing it this way you have money left over to put into reloading components/ammo of you don't reload, or a bell and carlson stock which is an amazingly priced stock IMHO and you have yourself a great set up!

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:
If the model gun you are speaking of is a .308 then no it would be 1/10 if it was AAC-SD and 1/12 if it was the varmint and non AAC-SD tactical model with black houge overmolded stock. I have no knowledge of the trijicon scope but I know you can buy a brand new tactical model for less than $600 most everywhere online shipped. And the trijicon not having exposed turrets isn't nessesarily ideal for long range shooting either.

Rem 700 $550
SWFA fixed 10 power scope that's a smoking deal on such a great scope is $300 new

And by doing it this way you have the joy of putting your first precision rifle together yourself!
And by doing it this way you have money left over to put into reloading components/ammo of you don't reload, or a bell and carlson stock which is an amazingly priced stock IMHO and you have yourself a great set up!

Regards,
Andrew

Yea its the black stock. .308

Yea its the black stock. .308

Yep, to my knowledge it would be a 1/12 twist barrel then. I have a remington 700 sps varmint in a rock solid stock and my gun loves 168gr and 175gr smk's. The 1/10 could stabilize the heavier 180-190gr bullets if you are looking to go that route, but I'm perfectly content with my 175 gr bullets. Also the 155gr lapua senars are a very very nice option as well, I just personally can't justify spending $50 on 100 bullets lol.

Rem 700 $550

Regards,
Andrew

Sounds similar to my shopping list:

Remington 700 SPS Tac - 1:12 .308 $560 - $35 (Sold Hogue stock) = $525
Choate Precision Stock = $209
EGW 20 Moa base = $62
SWFA 10X42 w/ low 30mm rings = $345
KRG Bolt lift = $28

$1169 total

Picked the rifle up from gunbroker... plenty of deals to be had on there.

i have the very same sps varmit heavier contour .308. changed the stock out to a r700 police aluminum bedded stock, did load work up and found what the gun really likes.

factory ammo-- 175FGMM shoots better than 168sFGMM but either is good enough for factory ammo

reloads-- gun REALLY loved varget, lapua 155 scenars about .010 jump. this shot the best but i relized with time and effort into all aspects of reloading the diff was not enough to justify reloads with my hectic schedule i keep.

that being said i think for the money it is hands down my favorite out of the box rifle. i picked mine up for $575 off auction site. just buy what u like and shoot the hell out of it. mine is about due for a rebarrel and i will have action trued at the same time.

Rem 700 $550

Regards,
Andrew

Ok so talked with the HR lady about the loan itself. Theres also a 125.00 fee so that really cuts down on the "savings" of the original deal. I have more I can get but trying not to spend more than 1500. So that means i have 1375 budget. I think Im going to build one myself. With ya'lls help of coarse!
SO the next question is to get the aac-sd model or not. I will more than likely never own a can. So it would be purchased solely for the 1:10 twist rate only.
#2 Is the falson menace scope any good? This looks like something that would be at the top of my list. Please if you have better options let me know.

Ok so talked with the HR lady about the loan itself. Theres also a 125.00 fee so that really cuts down on the "savings" of the original deal. I have more I can get but trying not to spend more than 1500. So that means i have 1375 budget. I think Im going to build one myself. With ya'lls help of coarse!
SO the next question is to get the aac-sd model or not. I will more than likely never own a can. So it would be purchased solely for the 1:10 twist rate only.
#2 Is the falson menace scope any good? This looks like something that would be at the top of my list. Please if you have better options let me know.

Well the AAC-SD does have the capability to put a muzzel brake on it which might be something you could look into later on. Also, unless you want to shoot the 180+gr bullets and probably reload yourself for those bullets then a 1-12 twist should do fine.

I love my falcon menace IMO it's a excellent budget scope with good glass for the money, and 30mm tube for light transmission.

But with that said if you are not against a fixed power scope I would go with the SWFA 10x scope. It has better glass, better more "positive clicking turrets", tracks well, and good warranty service, and also there is a guy that is selling custom zero stops on the hide for it now for only $20.

This would be my set up if it were me and $1400 was my budget.

Rem 700 sps tactical $575(sell houge stock for $25) so $550
Weaver 20 moa scope base $30
Burris xtr low rings $55
Falcon menace 4-14-44mm FFP $350 or maybe you could pick one up used (I'm thinking of selling mine as I have upgraded)
Or SWFA 10x fixed power $325 new
Bell and carlson a3 medalist stock $250
With the bell and carlson you get a completely free floated barrel, aluminum bedding block and pillars, much higher cheek peice, heavier rifle for less recoil, and I'm my honest opinion a great looking stock as you can choose your colors of stock and "spider web" pattern.

Some people do like the choate tactical line of stocks. They are very cheap for what you are getting but they are heavy as lead! So if you never plan on using this rifle for anything other than prone shooting that's another great option! And I think you will have an adjustable cheekpiece with the choate. Which is very nice.

And finally if you plan on shooting from the prone a harris BRM-S bipod $90

So that puts you at 1,300 or 1,275 depending on what scope you buy and if you buy everything brand new. Which there are great deals in the for sale section of this site so I would keep an eye out there for everything!

I have a place that I bought my b&c stock from for cheaper than I've ever saw anywhere else so feel free to PM me and I'll help you out!

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:
the 700 sps aac is a great rifle, the stock is questionable but just slap on a bell and carlson on there and youll be good to go im also going to get the aac and do the same thing.... the 1:10 twist will help you stabalizing heavier bullets and the 20" barrel is a good lenght and reduces weight

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...846-308-remington-tactical-work-progress.html

Cuz we all know a 1:12 twist cant shoot long heavy bullets, nor well at 1000y... :p

A 1:12 is fine folks, unless your wanting to load 240's at 1050 fps...

I have run long 190 berger vld's through the above and never had a problem with stability, I just didn’t see a reason to continue using them in this 308 with the velocity this Remington barrel was giving me, IIRC around 2450-2475fps... not when I could use them in a 26" 1:12 Winchester barrel or a custom 21.75" 1:11.25 twist Rock Creek barrel both at 150ish fps faster.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a 1:10 twist, it's just not necessary for 155-190 grain bullets at standard 308 velocities.

Last edited:
Am I the only person that is going to say that dipping into a 401k to afford just the rifle is a TERRIBLE idea? That cost is just the beginning of LR shooting expenses. I'm guessing you don't fully understand the penalties of early withdraw from a 401k but in short, it's not just a piggy bank when you want some money. Save up and wait until you can afford what you want. Your future will thank you.

Am I the only person that is going to say that dipping into a 401k to afford just the rifle is a TERRIBLE idea? That cost is just the beginning of LR shooting expenses. I'm guessing you don't fully understand the penalties of early withdraw from a 401k but in short, it's not just a piggy bank when you want some money. Save up and wait until you can afford what you want. Your future will thank you.

I was wondering when a comment on that was gonna pop up. Its a loan so it all goes back in plus i have to pay myself 4.5% intrest back for using it. Yea I have tossed and turned about doing this for a few weeks now. My wifes said" just get the dam thing so I can sleep again." I already reload and have the 308 dies and most of the componets. Just not bergers or scenars. Aside from all that its done. I should start purchasing in a few weeks. I will likely start a new thread about the super dooper budget build. I was also considering mabye upgrading to one of the ss scopes. I had seen one advertised on here for like 600 I think. maybe a 3-15x? If i could swing that for the scope and rifle and wait on the stock a few weeks. Not sure i want a fixed power. but have also heard nothing but good things about the SS scopes.

I was wondering when a comment on that was gonna pop up. Its a loan so it all goes back in plus i have to pay myself 4.5% intrest back for using it. Yea I have tossed and turned about doing this for a few weeks now. My wifes said" just get the dam thing so I can sleep again." I already reload and have the 308 dies and most of the componets. Just not bergers or scenars. Aside from all that its done. I should start purchasing in a few weeks. I will likely start a new thread about the super dooper budget build. I was also considering mabye upgrading to one of the ss scopes. I had seen one advertised on here for like 600 I think. maybe a 3-15x? If i could swing that for the scope and rifle and wait on the stock a few weeks. Not sure i want a fixed power. but have also heard nothing but good things about the SS scopes.

The fact that it's a loan is even more reason just to wait and buy it later. It would be different if it was an emergency and you needed money to buy something that you had to have but this is just costing you more money for no good reason. I know you're not asking for financial planning advice but just think this one through and thank me later :)

Back on topic. I currently have 4 SWFA scopes and have nothing but good things tto say. I have two of the HD 5-20 which are really nice. I saved a few hundred bucks over a Night Force and can't tell a difference in glass quality. I also have two fixed powers. For the money, they're hard to beat.

The fact that it's a loan is even more reason just to wait and buy it later. It would be different if it was an emergency and you needed money to buy something that you had to have but this is just costing you more money for no good reason. I know you're not asking for financial planning advice but just think this one through and thank me later :)

Back on topic. I currently have 4 SWFA scopes and have nothing but good things tto say. I have two of the HD 5-20 which are really nice. I saved a few hundred bucks over a Night Force and can't tell a difference in glass quality. I also have two fixed powers. For the money, they're hard to beat.

I never mind hear good fin. advice. But I already submited it.......So i might as well make the most of it huh? I really considering the ss 3-15x but it is 699 not 600 like I thought. Kinda puts me over budget a little but in my opinion i think it would be a very good choice. It would be great if i could find one used on here!!

In addition to looking for a used one here, keep an eye on SWFA's demo list. Good chance you'll find something if you're willing to wait while you look.

to bad they don't have the black Friday deals right now I picked up a 3-15ss for $559

Your not the only one! I don't know about everyone else but I'll keep the 20-35% I EARN on that 401K cash rather than pay even 4.5%. As others have posted save a little here and there and piece together what you want it's not an emergency.

9x is plenty for 800yd depending on your target. Sure, it may not win F class, but Palma guys shoot 1K with irons. I've personally shot 400yd with irons. As long as you don't have to ID a target at that range, 1x is fine for very long distances, 9x is even better.

But, good deal or not, leave the 401k alone. You're talking a rifle and scope that are currently in production. Still for sale brand new online and at local gunshops. These are not rare items or essential expenses (like a new roof or braces for the kid) that you must jump on now to justify the loss in future value of your 401. I'm no expert at long distance shooting, but I can tell you for sure that if you can't afford to get into LR shooting now, DON'T. You are going to be spending money that you shouldn't on a rifle that you'll want to put new glass and a new barrel on and buy expensive bullets for. Buy a quality bolt action 22LR instead. Buy match ammo for it (even with the current price of .22, still affordable compared to reloading 308 with 175 SMK's) and shoot it at 100-200yd. You'll learn to read wind (22lr at 200 is about like shooting centerfire at 1K) and develop the skills that will be needed in a year or three when you can afford to buy a good LR starter with the ammo momey you just saved.

Well guys I had already submitted the loan paper work so it was already done. I plan on just pay the lump sum back w/ income tax return. Anyhow, so I did change my budget a little compared to the original. I had 1400.00. I bought a 700 sps tac (non aac) from gunbroker for 499.00. SS 3-15 w/ sunshade, BC caps, SS rings and Weaver pic. rail, Zero stops for the scope. Everything including tax on scope and FFL fees it came out to $1461.57. I dont think thats all that bad. Thanks to all the guys that steered me away from the used gun with trijicon accupoint. I got exactly what I wanted and its all new. Just waiting for it all to show up and assemble. I had a really hard time spending that kind of money on a scope. Hope its worth the extra coin spent.....lol. Thanks again guys.

Jason