• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

A newbie needs help?

1911vm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
Just getting started and was told to ask you guys. What is the smartest way to start with a precision rifle? As far as the budget I am trying to stay around 1k. . Thanks

This is my original post from Brians Enos ” More advice needed now on a bolt-action. I think I have narrowed down between two. Both in .308 savage model 10 and Remington 700. From what I understand out of the box nothing can beat savage, but 700 has more accessories then any thing else. Please feel free to pass on any advice I need as much info as I can get especially from people with more knowledge then I have. Thanks
This is the link to the last forum question on Brians Enos. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=113

I would just like a simple answer something like (GET THIS) LOL thanks in advance.

Re: A newbie needs help?

is it 1K for scope and rifle or just rifle? If just rifle Rem 700 LTR or SPS Tactical or 5R Milspec

Well first off ever savage I've touched is rough and I dint like them. Like 99 percent if the people on here I am a believer in a 700 action.

Questions for you

what distance will you shoot
do you have a specific caliber
target, comp., or hunting?

rifle only Glass is going to be about the same.

.308, comp. and target. Up to no more then 600y

Same situation as you and this is what I have came up with.

Savage 10FCP-K $660
WOTAC 4x14x50 on order and waiting $320
Badger 20moa base $150
Burris XTR rings $55
Harris BRM/S bipod $100

Total $1285
I figure this combo can get me into the game and not bust the budget and let me get a membership to a range that I can use the rifle at. After reading in this site the info is great. Just what ever you do never ask if a COUNTERSNIPER Scope is any good.
I think they beat that one like a dead horse.

For that range a 223 or 308 will fit your needs just fine.

Personally I would get a 700 p and a mag system of your choice. No need for a 20 moa base IMO for 600yds.