• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Accurate Bolt Choices

GotGoodGroups

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
www.balancedtrainers.com
I am brand new to this forum although I have read it for a couple years. I am also new to firearms in that I have only been shooting for a couple years. I got the bug fairly bad in that I now even reload.

My firearms up to now have been semi-auto. I have become more interested in accuracy. Although my AR15 can shoot groups around 0.5". I have an AR10 also where I sometimes struggle to keep things under 1". Some days I do approach 0.5". So my expectation is that a good bolt gun should be able to do 5 shot 0.5" groups if the shooter does his part.

I recently decided to get a bolt gun. I realize that some of the time you get what you pay for. I have considered going to the expensive end in things because I believe in spend once...cry once. The caliber that interests me is 308.

Sako rifles were at the top of my list. On the other end of the expense end Savage rifles were also of strong interest.

I have been doing a ton of research. I believe I ran into a show stopper with the Sako though. I called up Beretta to ask them a few questions. The one question that I asked involved cost in replacing a barrel if I shot the barrel out. The response was that I would have to go to an aftermarket barrel maker. I thought that this was ridiculous. One spends +$3000 for a rifle and then can't get a replacement barrel from the supplier????

The big things I don't like about Savage are the trigger and the bolt. With the trigger, I have spoken to many who just don't want to have to focus on another blade being depressed. I realize there are replacement triggers via OEM.

Seeing that I am into paper punching a lot of the custom guns, one can get a trigger that can be set to ounces instead of lbs. This is highly attractive to me. I dont think that this is available for the Sako or the Savage but could be wrong.

I mentioned the bolt also. Apparently even in their higher end guns the bolt carrier flops around pretty loosely. I am a big fan of things that fit in a precise way. I realize that for the dollar many of their guns shoot extremely well.

So now I am investigating getting a custom Rem. 700 setup with an AICS stock. I really don't know if this is the way to go though.

I also considered Blaser but I have read a bit of negative press.

Anyways, does anyone have some advice? I am looking for something that looks a bit cool, that will shoot at 0.5" (5 shot group) or less. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Accurate Bolt Choices

Used Sako Trg22 is a good choice, though rare because everyone loves em.

What's the big deal with using an aftermarket barrel???

If I were you I'd get a used remington 700, find the stock you like the best, find the accessories you like the best, then send the whole thing off to get accurized with a new barrel from Kreiger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stalski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used Sako Trg22 is a good choice, though rare because everyone loves em.

What's the big deal with using an aftermarket barrel???

</div></div>
I figure that there should be good support after the sale. I am not convinced that they shoot much less than 0.5" either. I know they are very well made. The Beretta guy said they only promise 1" MOA. I felt like saying I have an $875 AR15 that promises 0.5" and actually does it.

I have been looking at a custom action and barrel.If I go custom action and barrel with an AICS stock the price is about the same as a Sako though.

Sacrilege perhaps, but of all the things I have to say about Sako, "very well built" isn't one of them.

One screw holding the trigger in
Plastic trigger guard
Bolt knob hanging on via a plastic fastener

My TRG42 shoots great, and the trigger feels fantastic, but some aspects sure are chintzy.

My advice is to buy a used highish-end rifle from the classifieds.

Go to the Firearms For Sale Section here on the Hide. Just picked up a used 308 R W Snyder custom with less than 1000 rounds shot with decent scope, Harris bipod and pelican case for $2500.00. Many other good bolt action rifles to select from. Good shooting.

There's a lot of options with a 700 based blueprint, just gotta look and see what you like. Pick a action, barrel, stock, trigger and someone to put together for you. All of which that can be found here on this website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NisilS14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a lot of options with a 700 based blueprint, just gotta look and see what you like. Pick a action, barrel, stock, trigger and someone to put together for you. All of which that can be found here on this website.</div></div>

That is the direction I have been thinking of going. I would hate to spend +$3000 only to find that it will only shoot groups that are 0.75" when my $875 AR15 does 0.5". Of course I am comparing 223 and 308 here. I know that many savages for $700 will shoot 0.75". I figure when you spend that kind of money it should get you below 1/2 MOA.

Regarding the Savage trigger, I wouldn't write it off until I had actually shot one a bit. I have several with both types of triggers, and I seldom even noitice any difference, most certainly not one to which I would object

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the Savage's bolt carrier flopping about. The floating bolt head is probably one of the Savage's truly unique and effective accuracy advantages.

As I have repeatedly mentioned on this forum, the Savage 12BVSS .308 is the rifle our bunch had provided as a newguy loaner for 1000yd F Class some years back. As a starter precision LR rifle, I think it has all the necessities, and listing at just over $1K, it's not a wallet buster, either. Actual retail often comes out quite a bit lower.

The Savage-style barrel nut makes barrel replacement much easier, and is starting to appear on other brands as well; with imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

Greg

I think I found sounding that will be best for me. The folks at Shilen make a Rem 700 clone (similar but different) that uses a barrel nut system. So I will get their action and their barrel. In addition I can get an adjustable competition trigger. That trigger can go down to 6 oz. I will put the whole thing in AI stock.

Going with the AI stock, I shouldn't have to bed the action.

I fully acknowledge that for out of the box accuracy, Savage is probably the most bang for the buck.

--Dan

Why would you want to put a factory barrel back on the sako after the factory barrel was shot out. Im sure sako does ok with there barrels, but i would just about bet a Krieger, or rock creek is 5 times the barrel. Probably cheaper to!! Good luck man. Buy a remington before you buy a Savage. You will thank yourself! Lee