• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ADM RECON-S Mount RTZ Test and Review

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
QD Mounts seem to be extremely popular with semi-auto rifles. I figured it would be interesting to see how accurate the mount could be on the AI.

If you like the video, do us a favor and subscribe.

ADM RECON-S Mount in 1080p HD

Here is the web writeup:

http://8541tactical.com/ADM_RECON_review.php

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYN3NT3UGBo&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYN3NT3UGBo&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: ADM RECON-S Mount RTZ Test and Review

Great review, well done. Subscribed to your videos as well.

Pretty weird how after the first shot it settled in and went back to zero. Wouldn't have guessed it would do that.

Nice video.

I thought in the ADM literature it states will return to 1 MOA of zero?

Great video and nice review!

The one thing about the QD mounts that I have encountered was how they feel going on will dramatically effect if it will rezero or not.

I moved my T1 with LaRue mount over from one of my 223 rifles to a new 300 AAC Black out the other day and after checking 0, I removed the mount and reinstalled it. I noticed that it was a little stiffer to close the cam lever, and it showed on paper when I confirmed the shots. It was about 2" high and about 3" to the right. Took it off and reinstalled it again, this time for some reason or another, it was as I adjusted the mount before. I checked it again and it was back to the same baseline 0 that I had before. Went back and forth taking the mount on and off and everytime, the feel was the same as the original and the redot stayed on 0. I have encountered this on several QD mounts, not just LaRue.

I agree. If you notice in the video when I fire the second shot group, there are a couple of "clusters" where the removal and re-installation is ending up with the same zero. Unfortunately it's not predictable before you light the fuse.

I believe what you are seeing is recoil seating the mount. What I am going to try at a later point is attaching the mount, then slamming the butt on the deck to simulate a recoil impulse. With a heavy optic, I think this may help to reduce the issues.

Good review, and good timing, since I'm getting ready to order that same mount.

LoneWolf,
You are right in the assumption that the mount is seating due to recoil. The problem is that if you slam the butt to the deck, the mount will slide to the rear on impact. The mount needs to be seated to the front of the slot in the rail. Best set is to push the mount foward while you are closing the cam levers. Also you will notice there is usually only one cros bolt that makes contact with the front of the slot.

Bah, you got me. I was thinking backwards because when I torque an action in the stock I bump the butt. You are right I would need to bounce the muzzle.

In the video it's difficult to see, but I was applying a good bit of forward pressure as I closed the first clamp. I also do this when I mount a scope with standard fasteners.

Great review and thank you for taking the time to do this! I have this same mount and a plethora of other ADM and Larue mounts. For a combat optic (i.e. Aimpoint/ACOG), they work as intended, but for a precision gun, the return to zero is always off a bit as you show.

Gunnut,
Were you referring to that mount specifically or quick mounts in general being a bit off?

So to read these target correctly, the left two are when the scope has been left alone for all 10 shots, and the right two targets, the scope has been dismonted and remounted between every shot?

If thats the best u cam do with that base...I think the Larue will do better..mine was taken off and on so many times on several larues...and return to zero was always almost perfect.....but I never did that take it of and shoot.one and repeat drill.... I'm interested in seeing your results when u do it! Keep up the great reviews...... BTW....when are you gonna review the remington 700 AAC?

Larue is a supepiror mount Over ADM. The ADM single Clamp Recon Returns to zero better than the Double clamp in my experiance,you have to remount the ADM in exact steps to get it to return to zero,The use of a laser will yeild results without fireing a Round,I have done alot of testing with Mounts,The larue still should be mounted and levers locked in sequence for best results. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If thats the best u cam do with that base...<span style="color: #FF0000">I think the Larue will do better</span>..mine was taken off and on so many times on several larues...and return to zero was always almost perfect.....but I never did that take it of and shoot.one and repeat drill.... I'm interested in seeing your results when u do it! Keep up the great reviews...... BTW....when are you gonna review the remington 700 AAC? </div></div>

Lw/usmc Hats off to your skill in video makeing !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So to read these target correctly, the left two are when the scope has been left alone for all 10 shots, and the right two targets, the scope has been dismonted and remounted between every shot? </div></div>

Correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW....when are you gonna review the remington 700 AAC? </div></div>

I did the initial overview in January:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKODcZfGbL8&hd=1

The accuracy test and comments on the stock can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYnM-cjlEVA&hd=1

If I have time I may put it back in it's initial configuration and do a comprehensive review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larue is a supepiror mount Over ADM. The ADM single Clamp Recon Returns to zero better than the Double clamp in my experiance,you have to remount the ADM in exact steps to get it to return to zero,The use of a laser will yeild results without fireing a Round,I have done alot of testing with Mounts,The larue still should be mounted and levers locked in sequence for best results. </div></div>

In removing and replacing the mount I was careful to push forward and re-lock in the same sequence each time. It does not appear to have made a difference in this case.

I am looking forward to testing some other mounts. However when I test equipment, I do so objectively. Even if it's a piece of gear I like I attempt to identify it's faults even if they are minimal. Some times this can cause some hard feelings with guys who have poured their hard earned cash into it.

I think that's wrong link for the accuracy and stock....unless I'm missing something

Great video, LoneWolfUSMC. Keep'em coming as I'm looking forward to seeing the results on the Larue mount.

LoneWolf:

Excellent, very professional video! I'm gonna hunt down all your stuff and check it out.

I question the validity of both the testing method and the results. The testing method WAS NOT the same. Firing 10 shots without breaking position versus breaking position, take the scope off, putting it back on, and firing each shot, along with not positioning the mount forward so its lugs are against the cutout in the pic rail the same each time are guaranteed to both produce error.

My point is clearly illustrated in the video by the fact that your group size difference was much greater than .2 mil, yet your correction to center up the last time you re-mounted the scope was just 2 tenth mil clicks.

A better test would be to lock the rifle in a stationary fixture, observe the crosshair placement on a grid, remove and reinstall the scope preloading the mount forward against the pic base, and observing any changes in the crosshair placement.

If your scope is capable of focusing down to 10 meters, send it and the mount to me and I'll perform the test described above for you and document the results.

EDIT - I can test at 50 meters as well in a fixture since it is a non-firing test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I question the validity of both the testing method and the results. The testing method WAS NOT the same. Firing 10 shots without breaking position versus breaking position, take the scope off, putting it back on, and firing each shot, along with not positioning the mount forward so its lugs are against the cutout in the pic rail the same each time are guaranteed to both produce error.</div></div>

You assume much.

1. Position was broken and re-built after every shot including the control groups. The editing makes it look seamless. If you look close and are on a fast connection (no lag) then you can see the transition. I am generally very consistent in the way I build my position so it is a little harder to tell unless I run the video un-cut. You would bore quickly watching me get up and get down forty times though.

2. I believe I already mentioned that I am pushing the mount forward against the lugs as I tighten the lever.

If I wanted to make this a totally scientific test, then it would be fairly simple. I could grab one of the numerous chunks of rail floating around here. Clamp it into a vice attach a laser sight, attach the rail and zero the laser to the scope or vice versa. Removing and reinstalling would demonstrate how far off the mount is.

However that doesn't make for interesting video and does not in any way replicate the RECOIL forces that a rifle induces on a mount. The key to a QD mount is how well it hold when the rifle is attempting to knock it off with each shot.

I do encourage you to grab one of these mounts and run a test yourself. I have a massively huge sample of one, however I was forwarded an article from Sniperworx were another shooter performed a similar test and was also rewarded with an approximately two MOA group. Unfortunately that shooter did no post any control groups so I have no idea what the accuracy of the platform is. However it would be extremely difficult for the accuracy of the platform to exceed the repeatability of the mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just subscribed. Do you have a Bobro mount to test? </div></div>

Not at this time, but I may give them a call.