• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

skeletonkeys

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2020
I’m looking to get a semi-auto AR-10 rifle (maybe 2) for the collection. Was thinking a 308 first and maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor as a second. Currently, I don’t have anything this size, and the biggest stuff I have is a KAC SR-15 16” (with another 11.5” upper that I switch out occasionally), my gucci Radian Model 1 14.5”, and a DD PDW 300 BLK. All are awesome.

As I’ve been looking at some of the bigger rifles, I’ve been looking at a couple options:

• DD5 308 16 or 18” (that new “Hunter” custom color option is cool)
  • KAC SR-25 (A friend is selling their 20” PR and a 14.5” upper) - But I’d be open to the 16” CC & PC, and 22” 6.5 Creedmoor versions too.

But I’ve also heard these guys make awesome high end options:
  • LWRC REPR
  • LaRue PredatAR
  • Wilson Combat (I have one of their pistols and love it)
  • LMT
  • 2A Armament (I’ve heard their stuff is crazy light)

So, if I wanted to get a 308 first, and then a second 6.5 Creedmoor, what do you think might be a good set of two? My main purpose of these is a bit of hunting and a bit of a battle rifle. Maybe I should do the 308 shorter and the 6.5 longer? Good/bad idea? I love my KAC, but I’m concerned that the SR-25 doesn’t have an adjustable gas system like the DD has. Am I being irrational?

SkeletonKeys

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I love my KAC, but I’m concerned that the SR-25 doesn’t have an adjustable gas system like the DD has. Am I being irrational?

Yes, you are being irrational with the above statement. Knights gas systems don’t need adjustable gas blocks, period. They run with and without the can just fine without AGBs.

I’d buy a KAC SR25 of your preference in .308 (APC, ECC, EMC or ACC) and add a KAC 6.5 creedmoor upper.

Done.

Last edited:
I’m looking to get a semi-auto AR-10 rifle (maybe 2) for the collection. Was thinking a 308 first and maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor as a second. Currently, I don’t have anything this size, and the biggest stuff I have is a KAC SR-15 16” (with another 11.5” upper that I switch out occasionally), my gucci Radian Model 1 14.5”, and a DD PDW 300 BLK. All are awesome.

As I’ve been looking at some of the bigger rifles, I’ve been looking at a couple options:

• KAC SR-25 (A friend is selling their 20” PR and a 14.5” upper) - But I’d be open to the 16” CC & PC, and 22” 6.5 Creedmoor versions too.

• LWRC REPR
  • LaRue PredatAR
  • LMT

So, if I wanted to get a 308 first, and then a second 6.5 Creedmoor, what do you think might be a good set of two? My main purpose of these is a bit of hunting and a bit of a battle rifle. Maybe I should do the 308 shorter and the 6.5 longer? Good/bad idea? I love my KAC, but I’m concerned that the SR-25 doesn’t have an adjustable gas system like the DD has. Am I being irrational?

SkeletonKeys
Check out V Seven rifles, made by Joel Allen from Noveske. Super light, tough, reliable and accurate.
The others on your list are obviously too notch.

I just bought the JP LRI-20 and Wilson Ultralight Ranger.

Reactions: Mitu
I wouldn't stress about the lack of a Adj. GB on a KAC. I RARELY read about function issues with a KAC... in KAC's case , you do get what you pay for. A properly functioning rifle, with attention to details.

And frankly most all decent Large Frames will function without one, provided the gas port is reasonably sized... I consider it a worth while add-on for my various brand barrels and gas system lengths.

You could always add on if you wanted later.

Check out V Seven rifles, made by Joel Allen from Noveske. Super light, tough, reliable and accurate.
The others on your list are obviously too notch.

I just bought the JP LRI-20 and Wilson Ultralight Ranger.
I just checked out the V Seven rifles and those things look awesome. How would they compare to KAC in terms of functionality? I love how KAC rifles just work. I've always been a little worried about the fancy boutique brands when it comes to reliability, but at these prices points, maybe that isn't a concern?

I just checked out the V Seven rifles and those things look awesome. How would they compare to KAC in terms of functionality? I love how KAC rifles just work. I've always been a little worried about the fancy boutique brands when it comes to reliability, but at these prices points, maybe that isn't a concern?
I haven’t ever handled one so can’t tell you, but they look legit. Especially at that price point, and the people there seem to really know their stuff. Joel Allen is definitely qualified. I’ve been eyeing that Harbinger .308, at sightly over 6 pounds That looks like an incredible battle rifle.

I wouldn't stress about the lack of a Adj. GB on a KAC. I RARELY read about function issues with a KAC... in KAC's case , you do get what you pay for. A properly functioning rifle, with attention to details.

And frankly most all decent Large Frames will function without one, provided the gas port is reasonably sized... I consider it a worth while add-on for my various brand barrels and gas system lengths.

You could always add on if you wanted later.
Good to know. Would you agree with getting both a 308 and a 6.5 from KAC or would you recommend getting two different brands? That is, I'm maybe leaning towards getting two different makes just to have some diversity in the arsenal :p I already have a SR-15 and with a second upper. So if I got a 308 KAC, I'm wondering about getting a different 6.5.

Good to know. Would you agree with getting both a 308 and a 6.5 from KAC or would you recommend getting two different brands? That is, I'm maybe leaning towards getting two different makes just to have some diversity in the arsenal :p I already have a SR-15 and with a second upper. So if I got a 308 KAC, I'm wondering about getting a different 6.5.
Honestly, I likely know less than you do... that said, I’ve avoided having too many calibers, so settled on .308 and not the 6.5. But if I did get a 6.5, it would likely be with a dedicated rifle, built out to optimize the benefits of that particular caliber.

I haven’t ever handled one so can’t tell you, but they look legit. Especially at that price point, and the people there seem to really know their stuff. Joel Allen is definitely qualified. I’ve been eyeing that Harbinger .308, at sightly over 6 pounds That looks like an incredible battle rifle.
Yeah that's an insane light weight for a 308. What do you think of the JP and Wilsons that you just got? I love my Wilson P320, and all their stuff is beautiful.

Personally I prefer to keep the same brand upper and lower in Large Frame AR's.

JP and Wilsons are great as well. I am not familiar with which pattern they use for their uppers and lowers though... are they both KAC compatible ?

Or do you mean a whole different rifle ?

I thought the JP was a DPMS pattern ( rounded upper end v. angled KAC )
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dpms-308-upper-vs-ar10-s...jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that's an insane light weight for a 308. What do you think of the JP and Wilsons that you just got? I love my Wilson P320, and all their stuff is beautiful.
I haven’t gotten them yet there’s a long backlog. Wilson should be ready in about six weeks and the JP... could be 4-5 months. I’ll let you know when they come. Wilson makes great stuff, per of why I want with them, their reputation makes the guns hold value.

• LWRC REPR
  • LaRue PredatAR
  • LMT

SkeletonKeys
I have two 2A Armament Xanthos light rifles with 18" barrels. I have LMT A2 irons on one, and long range optics on the other. Both rifles shoot great, but have pencil barrels to keep the weight down. Definitely not guns you want to sit there and burn a bunch of rounds through at once. They have .308win target chambers, but usually shoot the 175 gr rounds better than the 168s. The rifle weighs under 7 lbs but the muzzle break on them really keeps the recoil down. Overall, I really like them.

Chrome lined KAC with additional 6.5 CM upper. This is my setup, pending the delivery of the 6.5 CM upper though.

Reactions: tex68w
I have two 2A Armament Xanthos light rifles with 18" barrels. I have LMT A2 irons on one, and long range optics on the other. Both rifles shoot great, but have pencil barrels to keep the weight down. Definitely not guns you want to sit there and burn a bunch of rounds through at once. They have .308win target chambers, but usually shoot the 175 gr rounds better than the 168s. The rifle weighs under 7 lbs but the muzzle break on them really keeps the recoil down. Overall, I really like them.
I was actually wondering about the Xanthos... glad to hear you like it.
There’s just something about those V Sevens that are luring me in....

I really liked my HK MR762. Heavy but wicked accurate and reliable. If I were to buy another AR10 today I'd probably go with a V Seven though, lighter and less proprietary.

Personally I prefer to keep the same brand upper and lower in Large Frame AR's.

JP and Wilsons are great as well. I am not familiar with which pattern they use for their uppers and lowers though... are they both KAC compatible ?

Or do you mean a whole different rifle ?

I thought the JP was a DPMS pattern ( rounded upper end v. angled KAC )
View attachment 7394245
Yeah, I was talking about 2 separate rifles for that exact reason.

Did you get this 22" 6.5 CM upper?
This is what I'm debating on getting.

One of the big takeaways is that I should stay away from the DD5 at these price points?
I don’t think Daniel defense has anything you should stay away from. They make an accurate, reliable, rugged rifle with a great company standing behind it. Just a matter of what you prioritize and what your budget is.

Reactions: JS8588
You can snag a DPMS oracle 308 for $749, shoot the hell out of it and buy a good barrel with money you saved buying the rifle. Pretty cheap for a AR10. I had one but sold it to keep my 10.5 inch barreled 308.

I think you really can’t go wrong with what’s been suggested here. Most of the rifles that have been mentioned are all top tier and of high quality. I Don’t know much about v seven other than some that I have read, but if Noveske is involved in making them then it’s probably pretty darn good. KAC is obviously very high end and coveted by many. JP is exceptional stuff as well. I have a Seekins SP10 and it’s an exceptional rifle with a track record of being highly accurate and they are backed by a no B.S. 100% lifetime warranty transferable to whoever has the rifle no proof of purchase no questions, if it breaks they will fix it, if it doesn’t shoot tight groups they will fix it, provided the shooter isn’t the problem, ha ha. I also have a 2A Balios light 300 blk I built with Noveske barrel, the machine work is beautiful and it’s a crazy lightweight reciever set. As you already know do not mix and match upper and lowers on the AR10 platform, they are not all built to be compatible like the AR15. AR10’s also have 2 different magazine styles, but most every manufacture goes with the sr25/lr308 which is pmag compatible.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input here. I think I'm going to start with a 16" SR-25 and consider one of those Seekins, Vseven, 2A, JP, Wilson for a 6.5.

Your other option to consider is an LMT MWS. The ease of barrel swapping allows you to go from a 13.5” CL battle rifle barrel to a 20” 6.5 CM precision rifle barrel in minutes.

I’d hit this guy up and see if this is still available. He’s a member here but I can’t remember his user name on this forum.

Thanks for all the input here. I think I'm going to start with a 16" SR-25 and consider one of those Seekins, Vseven, 2A, JP, Wilson for a 6.5.
Sounds like you went with the tried and true, great choice.

Im going to take the plunge on a V Seven 300 blackout. If I like it I’ll consider the .308... that weight doesn’t seem conducive to a .308 but Joel Allen is a mad scientist, maybe he figured it out

Last edited:
Id still say do your homework on lmt. I do EXTENSIVE research on anything u consider and lmt vs kac Is just... almost hard to explain.

Go try to find a report of a broken lmt enhanced bolt.

Carl Lewis is a wizard.

Check out all of chris YouTube reviews from small arms solutions. Guy knows more shit than most have forgotten on weapon systems.

For me, I don't like the way knights does sales. Or their customers or both. They wont sell barrels, parts are hard to find. The ones you can find are crazy expensive. Thry don't sell 6.5 complete rifles. You would have to buy an sr25 then buy a complete upper. They do it because they can, but they also charge 30-40% more for just scarcity.

For me its hard to pay 5k for sr25 then 4k for a 6.5cm upper when i could get 2 rifles from lmt and have some left over for optics. The barrel is true free float and the rail is true monolithic. Nobody's going to tell me they aren't just as reliable maybe a tad overgassed but they have solutions for that as well.

If your getting a rifle for precision range fun I'd say get a jp

Last edited:
Id still say do your homework on lmt. I do EXTENSIVE research on anything u consider and lmt vs kac Is just... almost hard to explain.

Go try to find a report of a broken lmt enhanced bolt.

Carl Lewis is a wizard.

Check out all of chris YouTube reviews from small arms solutions. Guy knows more shit than most have forgotten on weapon systems.

For me, I don't like the way knights does sales. Or their customers or both. They wont sell barrels, parts are hard to find. The ones you can find are crazy expensive. Thry don't sell 6.5 complete rifles. You would have to buy an sr25 then buy a complete upper. They do it because they can, but they also charge 30-40% more for just scarcity.

For me its hard to pay 5k for sr25 then 4k for a 6.5cm upper when i could get 2 rifles from lmt and have some left over for optics. The barrel is true free float and the rail is true monolithic. Nobody's going to tell me they aren't just as reliable maybe a tad overgassed but they have solutions for that as well.

If your getting a rifle for precision range fun I'd say get a jp
The JP is the only brand I’ve ever come across that has nobody critiquing them... other than for their price.their reputation makes one wonder if it’s literally the perfect rifle.
For the $5,000, I decided on JP.

Reactions: LAW-DOG
The JP is the only brand I’ve ever come across that has nobody critiquing them... other than for their price.their reputation makes one wonder if it’s literally the perfect rifle.
Their new lri looks sexy

For me its hard to pay 5k for sr25 then 4k for a 6.5cm upper when i could get 2 rifles from lmt and have some left over for optics.

Lets be realistic. My new SR-25 was $4.3K and I didn’t feel like I got great deal given the COVID situation. The 6.5 CM upper I have on order was ~$3.5K sticker and I got another ~5% off that price. Have I seen SR-25 rifles for $4.9K and the upper for $3.9K? Yeah, but I think those are full MSRP and MAP is a decent bit less.

Lets be realistic. My new SR-25 was $4.3K and I didn’t feel like I got great deal given the COVID situation. The 6.5 CM upper I have on order was ~$3.5K sticker and I got another ~5% off that price. Have I seen SR-25 rifles for $4.9K and the upper for $3.9K? Yeah, but I think those are full MSRP and MAP is a decent bit less.

I've never seen a 6.5 less than 4k. I'm also not in the market.

Always the same debate, basically...

KAC is Harvard. Plenty of really good schools out there, but there will only ever be ONE Harvard. 😋

Also surprised no one mentioned a SCAR-20S. Heavy, but a very well sorted rifle, especially if you're going to operate suppressed.

KAC and SCAR will hold most of their value. Not sure that can be said of the others.

Yes, you are being irrational with the above statement. Knights gas systems don’t need adjustable gas blocks, period. They run with and without the can just fine without AGBs.

I’d buy a KAC SR25 of your preference in .308 (APC, ECC, EMC or ACC) and add a KAC 6.5 creedmoor upper.

Done.

Nuff said! ER is my favorite of the SR25 line. Reliable, accurate and shoots very smooth.

• LWRC REPR
  • LaRue PredatAR
  • LMT

SkeletonKeys
Lmt would be cheaper Than knights and with the quick barrel change system, changing calibers is easy and a fraction of two separate rifles. But they are heavier than the knights.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
Jp is a great Gucci rifle range toy and is accurate.
Knights is battle proven and will outlast the jp with their parts.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I have an original SR25 that i bought in '96. I love the gun but i also am looking for a 6.5. I've kept my Knight all original with the exception of a magpul stock. I want a non Knight for the 6.5 so i can put upgraded parts on it like charging handle and BCG.

Jp is a great Gucci rifle range toy and is accurate.
Knights is battle proven and will outlast the jp with their parts.
Gucci range “toy?” I’d be curious to know this is based on experience or what you’ve read. They are designed to withstand a lot of use from competition users, and are selling their rifles to law enforcement and military.

So nothing aginest jp but they are more geared toward competition than battle with enhancements like the barrel heat sink and stuff like that. Mine is great for that and I like shooting it as it is very accurate. Knights builds theirs for more abuse. Now I admit jp May be making other rifles I do not know about but they do not have military contracts that I know of. My point was of usage. Ferrari vs land cruiser/ rover. One manufacturer’s goal is accurate competition the other is battle rifles.

So nothing aginest jp but they are more geared toward competition than battle with enhancements like the barrel heat sink and stuff like that. Mine is great for that and I like shooting it as it is very accurate. Knights builds theirs for more abuse. Now I admit jp May be making other rifles I do not know about but they do not have military contracts that I know of. My point was of usage. Ferrari vs land cruiser/ rover. One manufacturer’s goal is accurate competition the other is battle rifles.
I have no first hand knowledge, but if my memory serves me correctly Ben at JP did say they’ve been doing quite a few order from military.
If I’m being dropped into the jungles of Vietnam etc. I’d probably want a KAC/LMT but in an ordinary civilian encounter, and even a “combat” scenario I would imagine JP would perform flawlessly.

LWRC REPR everyone should have one tucked away
20171201_171739_001.jpg

You could always build your own and make it exactly what you want with the best components you can get for your budget.

I recently built a 6.5 Creedmoor using Aero upper/lower, BSF carbon fiber sleeved 24" barrel, adjustable gas block, Triggertech 308 trigger, etc.. Pretty much upper-mid to higher end components for the thing and the cost was right at 2K. Not cheap, but the componet quality was going to be hard to replicate for 2K and I really wanted the BSF barrel to see if the whole carbon fiber thing is worth it (it seems to be in my limited testing so far).

IMG_20200726_125634.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of the original Laure OBRs, it’s a great rifle.

I’m not sure how good their quality is now....I’m sure it’s fine. However, when they knowing sold me a 6.5CM upper that they knew would not fit flawlessly on an OBR lower.... they lost my business.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Baron23 and tex68w