• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater America's "Top Shot" on History channel

Re: America's "Top Shot" on History channel

I read 8 February on another forum.

I enjoyed the concept, but could have done with out the drama, talking etc. Overall I enjoyed it and I will watch season 2.

looking forward to this new season. Hopefully they will change it up a little and focus a little less on alliances and voting other folks off the island

I think it is a pretty cool setup. I too would like for the voting part to change a bit. Instead of a popularity vote, it should be based on maybe even to 2 lowest scoring shooters per round shoot against each other for the elimination.

I am definately looking forward to this round of competition.

DK

Looks like there are some pretty accomplished shooters in this group. Hopefully they focus more on the shooting this time rather then the petty differences between the shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like there are some pretty accomplished shooters in this group. </div></div>

Yes there is. I have shot with one of them a couple of times. Its starts tonight.

OK the first show is in the books. The Blue team put all there hopes on one shooter and he did not perform. They were quick to put him under the bus first. At least he made it past the first show. Being a IPSC shooter I hope he makes it a little further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like there are some pretty accomplished shooters in this group. </div></div>

Yes there is. I have shot with one of them a couple of times. Its starts tonight. </div></div>
Pete, didn't Chris come to one of the shoots we did?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete, didn't Chris come to one of the shoots we did?
</div></div>

Chad, he has not been around here. I have shot several matches with Athan Lee. She is from Katy TX. I should be seeing here next month.

Hope you are staying warm.
smile.gif

The second season shooting the pool balls was pretty good. I am suprised to the distance that they were shooting. 25ft to 50ft? I'm no expert shot but that doesn't seem to be very far. I mean shooting bullsye at 25 and 50 yards is difficult enough but they were talking feet. On the other hand.. the elimination challenge was quite outstanding.

So far the new season looks better than Season 1. I like the range of shooters, and it seems that the challenges are more difficult. I was most impressed with Ashley and Jermaine in the first episode. Frankly though, for those of us that have shot IPSC or IDPA, there is some really poor pistol shooting mechanics by a number of the contestants. Looking forward to the rest of the season though.

I'm rooting for the combat controller. Ashley looks like he's got some skill. Reading news on the portal, ashley and george are both out "repping" the AF. >_> Ashley seems collected, George seems very arrogant

I was a little disappointed that the losing team didn't put the female pistol champ against the guy pistol champ (Chris?) in the elimination challenge. Your 2 best shooters for that particular weapon & they both miss all their shots.....

I was skimming over on the Top Shot forum & Travis actually shot 3 balls during the elimination. Apparently, the team decided that if they were struggling to hit the pool balls, then after 2 misses the 3rd shooter would take out the striped ball in order to clear up the solid ball for the next shooter. Travis did this 3 times (never even shown on TV...??) for his team, yet they still vote him into the challenge.....

Nice....

after last week's opener i was not surprised to be disappointed. perhaps tonight's show will be better, but doubt it. probably the last one i'll watch until the final season show.

suppossedly world class pistol shooters can't hit a pool ball within spitting distance on several tries - come on, really?

my money is on the hunter guy that ISN'T a "world class anything" to win it.

and WTF is with taking the 3day backpacks to the range? the firearms, targets, and ammo are already there, a 1 liter of mtn dew, eyes / ears and a pack of marlboro is all they need to carry. i'm sure there are first aid folks there just in case and the catering company has lots of lunch and drinks on hand.

what's with the backpacks?

Is there a good place to watch the first episode online, for us poor non sat tv college students?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a little disappointed that the losing team didn't put the female pistol champ against the guy pistol champ (Chris?) in the elimination challenge. Your 2 best shooters for that particular weapon & they both miss all their shots.....

</div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what's with the backpacks? </div></div>

I read from one of the competitors on the Top Shot forum, that they basically carried a complete change of clothes, rain/cold gear & food, because the weather conditions changed so much when they were at the range, & they would be at the range sometimes for 12 hours or longer......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what's with the backpacks? </div></div>

I read from one of the competitors on the Top Shot forum, that they basically carried a complete change of clothes, rain/cold gear & food, because the weather conditions changed so much when they were at the range, & they would be at the range sometimes for 12 hours or longer......</div></div>

ah poor babies. i guess the filming / catering crew didn't have some protection parked next to 'em.

By the way....what was up with that cowboy hat wearing guy making the comment of, <span style="font-style: italic">"All men aren't created equal...Smith & Wesson changed that.." </span> or something to that effect.

If he's heard that line before in his life, he should know it was <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Colt</span> </span>not Smith & Wesson....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he's heard that line before in his life, he should know it was Colt not Smith & Wesson....
</div></div>

I guess he is a S&W fan.

Well, i was disappointed tonight once again.

Ashley is no good with wheel guns, as per his FB update, lol

George is still acting childish. It isnt a local frat house, trying to prove you are "the alpha male". Its a show devoted to the competition of shooting professionals, not "who can have the *im so cool* attitude..." I'm really disappointed that he is doing a terrible job representing the AF out there.

Atleast Ashley picked up on the idea of being a quiet professional...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way....what was up with that cowboy hat wearing guy making the comment of, <span style="font-style: italic">"All men aren't created equal...Smith & Wesson changed that.." </span> or something to that effect.

If he's heard that line before in his life, he should know it was <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Colt</span> </span>not Smith & Wesson....</div></div>

Well he is way off on his qwote..or what ever the actual saying goes like this<span style="font-weight: bold">....."<span style="color: #FF0000">God created man, Sam Colt made them equal</span>."</span>

You gotta remember- drama keeps people entertained and coming back for more. I personally could do without all the drama and just want to see some shooting contests. I'll keep watching the show still. If they do a season 3, I'll sign up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, i was disappointed tonight once again.
</div></div>

better than the first episode of this season, but i'm with ya.

15 "world class shooters" x 3 shots = 45 rounds downrange

24 hits?

i know, it was a .38 with a blade and groove sighting system, but they are being manned or womanned as the case may be by "world class shooters". wake me up when the season finale is here.

my money is on the big time hunter guy that isn't a world class champ of anything, or Jermaine.

It seems all of the "red dot" champions are getting a rude awakening...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems all of the "red dot" champions are getting a rude awakening... </div></div>

agreed

For 'world class' shooters, it's amazing how few of them know how to grip a revolver.

And then there's the 'machine gun expert' whose advice for a very low-recoiling subgun is to aim low to start the string instead of improving trigger control and preventing anticipation with the shoulder.

44 magnum handcannon???? Where has he been for the last 30 years?

JD from SSK would just roll his eyes.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And then there's the 'machine gun expert' whose advice for a very low-recoiling subgun is to aim low to start the string instead of improving trigger control and preventing anticipation with the shoulder. </div></div>

In fairness, his time is very limited with each shooter and has to find a method to get them on target quickly.

I'm hoping Lt. Parker does good. He was an instructer at my police academy. Was really hoping he would pistol whip the "team captain"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And then there's the 'machine gun expert' whose advice for a very low-recoiling subgun is to aim low to start the string instead of improving trigger control and preventing anticipation with the shoulder. </div></div>

In fairness, his time is very limited with each shooter and has to find a method to get them on target quickly. </div></div>

In fairness the idiot also stated that gun fit has nothing to do with it....it is only a technique issue....OK
crazy.gif

Yeah, I agree with you. Never mind.

What was the distance on those 3 bottles? I want to see how I do with my Glock at the same distance.

Of course we all are into the "weapon/shooting" aspect, but it's still just a TV show. All of the drama and personalities is what hooks the average person into the show. I think at the end of the day it is great for the shooting sports. This is the first time ever I found my wife talking about guns (and the show) with some of her girlfriends and I have been an avid shooter/reloader for 20 years.

That is what I feel is great about 'Top Shot". Yea, Im sure all the operators on SHF can find even the smallest mistake, but I am sure they are not marketing the show to us- just take it for what it is- Entertainment with some good shooting skills here and there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 'world class' shooters, it's amazing how few of them know how to grip a revolver.
</div></div>

It appears the instructor was trying to in fact teach them the thumb behind grip on purpose. He kept referring to Jay "interfering with the pistol's mechanism" when he used the both thumbs on the left grip.

There was a mix of grips used in the stage - some that listened to the instructor, some that did not.

Zins is THE MAN. He is gonna win this thing if he does not get drama-effed, which I doubt he will as no-one wants to mess with the Gunny. He has the respect of the civies and the .mil guys, and he can bring it with about anything that launches a projectile of some sort.

He had my vote for the win before the first shot was fired.

I like the aspect where the staff thinking up the challenges give consideration to getting the competitors out of their comfort zone.
Something as simple as having to run for 30 or 40 yards before taking their shots causes most people to lose focus on making each shot count.
Additionally, with team aspect to the challenge, some of the close teamwork that top level shooters expect out of their members is just not there. Rather than hand picking a close knit team they have to take whatever is on the table.

When confronted with stuff out of their comfort zone some people simply freeze up, others get bent out of shape and blame everybody around them, and a very few do the best they can with no drama.

Some of the things I see on the show are similar to what happens in tactical rifle matches and are the things that attracted me to shooting in matches at Tiger Valley and Rifles Only in the first place.

BZ is the man, but his performance on the first episode shows that not everyone shoots perfectly every time, on demend and on cue.

I'd venture that many folks posting critiques on how easy things are have yet to shoot under unfamiliar and pressured circumstances. If it were all as easy as the scientific application of the principle there'd be no need to play the game....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BZ is the man, but his performance on the first episode shows that not everyone shoots perfectly every time, on demend and on cue.

I'd venture that many folks posting critiques on how easy things are have yet to shoot under unfamiliar and pressured circumstances. If it were all as easy as the scientific application of the principle there'd be no need to play the game.... </div></div>

Plus the pressure of knowing that a few million people and all your friends and family are watching every move you make. That alone would screw anyone up.

I will Say that the BZ is one of the best shooters Ive ever seen, BUT from my little exposure to him at nationals he is an amazingly arrogant dick, one thing to be like that around pro shooters but a completely different ballgame when your that way around brand new shooters and youths like I saw him being at SAFS at Perry

My prediction for top 3:

Ashley, jermaine, chris reed.

I'll see what happens tonight. Golf dude needs to STFU, Gunny/George/daryl need to stop doing douchey shit that can be shown on national TV, and Kyle needs to stop sucking at shooting.

You'd expect 2 retired and 1 active .mil to atleast be able to keep their panties from wadding up.

How the hell did Jay even make it on this show!? Dude said he'd only had about a year's worth of experience shooting a handgun. Seems like the History Channel could have found a more worthy adversary for some of these cats to compete with for the title of 'Top Shot' than a golf instructor with very limited time behind the hardware.

...Alright, I just saw that he was an archery qualifier for the 2004 Olympics. Still, sucks that he wiped out Jermaine in that challenge.

Makes sense to me because he is a golfer and understands that you can have a crap swing as long as it's consistently crappy and score low on the golf course. He said he was consistently pushing his shots low to the left (obvious righty trigger problem) he corrected his aim for his push. Just like a golfer with a bad slice aiming left.

Tonights show ending was sure a surprise. Lots of conflict on blue team, it could do them in. So far my money is on either Ashley or Chris R for the win.

Topstrap