• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ammo choices

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
looking for ammo to use for hunting anything from birds, rabbits, squirrels, also would like to use the same ammo for long range practice up to 300 yds

try some SK Std+ and rifle match. Wolf match target and match extra.

Mark

looking for ammo to use for hunting anything from birds, rabbits, squirrels, also would like to use the same ammo for long range practice up to 300 yds

Honestly you will want to use the cheapest thing your rifle shoots well. I would try some of the Wolf and SK. I have also had really good results with the Eley Contact and Force. The Force is a supersonic round so some rifles will shoot it and some will not. Good old CCI SV may shoot good enough for your purposes but I have found $6-$7 a box of 50 to be the sweet spot for cost vs accuracy. By spending $10-12 a box I can get ammo that shoots a little better but it isn’t proportional to the difference in price. One thing I will mention about the SK that I have shot is the lack of consistency from lot to lot. When changing from one lot of SK to another of the same type (SK Pistol match special for example) I usually see a 4-5” change in the POI at 100 yards. The Wolf and Eley change is very minor from lot to lot.

Reactions: Just Chuck
I’ve never had 2 rifles that truly love the same ammo but they’ll all shoot “similarly well” with certain ones. Lapua center X, Elay Club, Wolf Match Extra, and oddly enough because I think I’m the only one that likes it Federal GMM (not the HV stuff). All of those are mid priced to low priced for 22 match ammo and perform well enough in all of my rifles although each one does tend to have a favorite.

For cheap plinking, federal auto-match bulk is surprisingly acceptable as well in my RPRR but not really worth a crap in my 10/22. I discovered that from having boxes of it everywhere for shooting steel challenge rimfire optics because it was very reliable and cheap enough I could practice constantly with my 22/45 for next to nothing.

Personally, I go to target sports and order a box of each when I pick up a new rifle/barrel and test them at 50yds off of bags front and rear and then stock up on whatever it likes.