• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ammo?

metalic

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
Illinois
I recently picked up a 700 VS 26"
I read all the goods on FGGM 168smk's but nobody around here sells them or can get them however my dealer can get Hornady Match 168 AMAX.
Are they comparable results?

I have sent my info to Midway so I can order ammo but would rather buy local if possible. I reload for my other calibers and will eventually for the 308 but want to get some good match ammo to shoot till I get some brass to reload or am I better off just ordering brass and reloading from the start? If I go this route is there any one brand of brass to buy?

Thanks
Josh

Re: Ammo?

I would stick with the Federal gold personally. I've had better results with that over Hornady and Black hills. I also reload for .308 and would just get a couple hundred rounds of the gold metal, shoot it, and then use that brass to reload. I've gotten some of my best results using their brass. It's very consistent.

If you don't want to go that route i would try to buy some Lapua brass. Also very high quality!!!

What is your twist rate?

Unless you just live near a major ammo source or a discounter, you will be VASTLY better off to order your FGMM ammo online and pay for shipping/handling. Most of my local sources (okay...my one local source) want nearly $30/box for FGMM or the Hornady TAP ammo (regardless of bullet weight from 155-175gr).

You can order online and even with paying for S&H, you can get FGMM for around $0.97/round which is both as cheap as it gets for match ammo and as good as it gets in terms of quality/consistency. See here for example:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1120.php

I am all for being a supporter of my local businesses, but unless they will price match or come WAY off their asking prices for some items, it just isn't do-able for everything.

I would give Southwest Ammo a call and see what they have. You are likely to end up with ammo that is essentially as god and the brass is likely better. Other options would be Corbon. While the 168 is still a “good” pill you might also look into the 175 or the 155 (2156).

Just some thoughts.

Southwest Ammunition. Good stuff at a good price from good guys.
Their 175's kick ass, and will be the only factory ammo I bother with in my 308 anymore.

Everyone has different opinions on good brass for reloading. A F class friend wieghed his empty brass to cull extremes and go from heaviest to lightest case in a string of fire. (Yes quite anal)

I was amazed at the factory ammo that shot so well but wieghed so extreme.

Federal brass wasnt my first choice even before seeing the wide variance. The necks are thicker and seemed to work harden faster.

Winchester reloaded slicker but some primer holes were much smaller than the rest.

Black hills was easy enough to resize but I did split necks a bit more often once several reloads were done.

Nobody seems to like Remington brass but once the extremes are culled it seems to do as well as any other american brass.

I was gifted a bunch of Hornady MATCH brass and its sad how much variance there is in the case wieghts. I have had great luck with it but it seems to work harden as fast as Fed. (in three reloads there is a distinct squeal as the resizer button pulls out and the new Amax punches in the neck rather than slide easily as in once fired)

I campher the necks and use a rock crusher press to ease down.

Guess what I learned is a company can call it MATCH,the factory fodder can do quite well in certain venues but man oh man for those who do all manner of voodoo to bullet and brass it must look like slop!

I'd advise learn the basics of reloading, even if you dont get super anal about reloading, your ammo will not be any worse and once the brass is bought the rounds can be 50 to 70 cents a round so you can practise alot more per dollar spent.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southwest Ammunition. Good stuff at a good price from good guys.
Their 175's kick ass, and will be the only factory ammo I bother with in my 308 anymore. </div></div>

This ^^^

Southwest Ammo is outstanding and you cant beat the price. Thats why its the only factory stuff I shoot also.