• Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    My "Sugar Badger" build.

Honey Badger barrel assembly
    Honey Badger Hand guard
    Honey Badger Shorty Stock
    Radian Raptor clear ano charge handle
    All upper and lower parts are off getting "Tungsten" Cerakote
    Stripped upper/lower are an SBR Registered PA set. (H-157 BRIGHT NICKEL for those interested.)
    Probably going to buy "Literally the Best Trigger Ever Made" at some point.

20221101_213505.jpg

Last edited:

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 13, 2020
    Another 6 LB 15 OZ .308 with next to nothing recoil:

As I learn more about the AR platform, I'm reasoning that this comes down to the balance between weight reduction of the rifle and tuning of the operating system.

So, I'm thinking a lightweight barrel is most of the weight savings, and would increase felt recoil, while a long(er) gas system, lighter BCG, heavier buffer/spring will decrease it. I suppose gas port size and the muzzle break are also factors. Am I missing anything?

On this particular build, did you already have a tried and true formula, or did you have to figure this one out from scratch?

Last edited:

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    As I learn more about the AR platform, I'm reasoning that this comes down to the balance between weight reduction of the rifle and tuning of the operating system.

So, a lightweight barrel is most of the weight savings, and would increase felt recoil, while a long(er) gas system, lighter BCG, heavier buffer/spring will decrease it. I suppose gas port size and the muzzle break are also factors.

On this particular build, did you already have a tried and true formula, or did you have to figure this one out from scratch?
    A week ago I would've said the same thing. A Proof CF 16" 308 is 2lbs. A Wilson "Ranger" contour weighs the same. A Rainier weighs 8oz more. And there are variations in between. But that doesn't make a 9lb gun into a 6lb gun. Go to VSeven's website are check out their 22oz receiver set, titanium BCGs, magnesium foreends, and titanium lower parts and gas blocks. But these are $4K AR10's.

If you've followed MSTNs builds you'll see he's been up to these types of builds for a hot minute.

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 13, 2020
    A week ago I would've said the same thing. A Proof CF 16" 308 is 2lbs. A Wilson "Ranger" contour weighs the same. A Rainier weighs 8oz more. And there are variations in between. But that doesn't make a 9lb gun into a 6lb gun. Go to VSeven's website are check out their 22oz receiver set, titanium BCGs, magnesium foreends, and titanium lower parts and gas blocks. But these are $4K AR10's.

If you've followed MSTNs builds you'll see he's been up to these types of builds for a hot minute.
    I definitely enjoy seeing his builds. Been thinking about paying his shop a visit if he has a storefront.

I actually meant for my post to be more of a question. After re-reading it, sounds like I'm trying to tell him what's what... I think I'll edit it.

I was just over at V7 looking for small parts to build out a lower.

I started really digging into the weeds on the AR platform summer of last year and am continually surprised at how much there is to learn and know about just ONE rifle platform.

I now have all these "head builds" floating around while I try to stomach the cost of accessories for just one rifle (financially, you can have 2-4 rifles, or 1 that's all "finished" :ROFLMAO: ). Project I'm doing now is "what I would have done if I'd known back then."

MSTN

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 31, 2010
    MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
    MSTN.BIZ
    My goal isn't to build the lightest .308 gas guns. It's to build the lightest that will shoot MOA or better through a combat load out. Added bonuses are long term reliability, low felt recoil, and stunning good looks.

The biggest potential weight savings building an accurate but lightweight is in the Proof CF barrel. While you can make a stainless barrel as light as the Proof CF, the SS won't behave properly in terms of precision when it gets even a little hot. Forget about hanging a can off of a skinny SS barrel, too.

Where else to save weight next? Why not everywhere?!?

Bolt carrier group - A .308 actually works optimally with a low mass carrier, IMO. But not a 6.5CM!
    Receiver set - V Seven makes some top shelf lightweight stuff.
    Forend - Ditto above. And looks right.
    Muzzle device - Ditto above, again. The V Seven Fusion titanium brake is quite effective and weighs next to nothing.
    Small parts - Did I mention V Seven?!?
    Furniture - There's a surprisingly large delta in weights here. And some really good lightweight choices.
    Scope - Same as above. Kahles scopes are my choice here.
    Scope mount - Not the smartest place to save weight. A Spuhr 9 ounce scope mount is strong enough to stiffen an upper receiver. That's my choice. But a 5 ounce Scalarworks LEAP mount can be very tempting.
    Suppressor - When suppressing a gas gun, I've gone full on to CGS. Extremely lightweight and effective suppressors that require no muzzle device.

IMG_2715.jpeg

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    16" 308 barrels

Proof CF - 2lbs 3oz
    Proof Steel - 2lbs 8oz
    Rainier Ultra Match fluted - 2 lbs 10oz
    Rainier Match - 2lbs 8oz
    Rainier Select - 2lbs 5oz
    Criterion Hybrid - 2lbs 5oz
    Wilson Recon - 2lbs 0oz
    Wilson Ranger - 2lbs 3oz
    VSeven 16" w/ titanium gas block - 2lbs

A Proof Carbon is about 0 to 7 ounces lighter than the barrels I was looking to use. I would argue the biggest weight savings is in the optic and furniture. But all those things being equal, speaking strictly of the build itself, it really seems like if you want to shave real weight off it has to come from the receiver, handguard, and BCG. And maybe an aggregate of all the small parts if you can afford to go titanium.

ETA:
    To compare 15" hanguards:

VSeven 15" magnesium handguard weighs 7oz
    Wilson 14.6" handguard weighs 12.8oz
    SLR Ion Lite 15" weighs 12.7oz

A VSeven magnesium handguard is half the weight of a conventional handguard and easily makes up for even the heaviest of barrels listed above.

Last edited:

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I'd be really interested to see the weights of different builders kits using 15" handguards.

1. SLR B-30: ?
    2. ADM MFG UIC-10A: ?
    3. Aero M5: ?
    4. VSeven: 29oz

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 13, 2020
    16" 308 barrels

Proof CF - 2lbs 3oz
    Proof Steel - 2lbs 8oz
    Rainier Ultra Match fluted - 2 lbs 10oz
    Rainier Match - 2lbs 8oz
    Rainier Select - 2lbs 5oz
    Criterion Hybrid - 2lbs 5oz
    Wilson Recon - 2lbs 0oz
    Wilson Ranger - 2lbs 3oz
    VSeven 16" w/ titanium gas block - 2lbs

A Proof Carbon is about 0 to 7 ounces lighter than the barrels I was looking to use. I would argue the biggest weight savings is in the optic and furniture. But all those things being equal, speaking strictly of the build itself, it really seems like if you want to shave real weight off it has to come from the receiver, handguard, and BCG. And maybe an aggregate of all the small parts if you can afford to go titanium.

ETA:
    To compare 15" hanguards:

VSeven 15" magnesium handguard weighs 7oz
    Wilson 14.6" handguard weighs 12.8oz
    SLR Ion Lite 15" weighs 12.7oz

A VSeven magnesium handguard is half the weight of a conventional handguard and easily makes up for even the heaviest of barrels listed above.
    I wonder if V Seven is using some special sauce in their handguards? I remember when BCM was using magnesium they had the lightest rails around, but they bent easily, and they switched to aluminum, calling it the KMR-A (they still make a big deal of the "alpha" on their product page, too).

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I wonder if V Seven is using some special sauce in their handguards? I remember when BCM was using magnesium they had the lightest rails around, but they bent easily, and they switched to aluminum, calling it the KMR-A (they still make a big deal of the "alpha" on their product page, too).
    I don't know. XLR makes a magnesium chassis now too

rhineland arms

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 18, 2012
    Texas
    www.troupsystems.com
    This is our version of a Ar15, just a little different. We made the upper the serialized receiver as it houses the buffer tube now. This is a heavier platform designed for precision. The rifle below is still a work in progress. This uses all AR parts internally, including the barrel, bolt/carrier, recoil system(carbine length) trigger group and mag. Early testing shows its a very solid platform and can handle bull barrels with ease.

Rhineland R2000 rifle
    r2000 production.jpg
    right side.jpg

Last edited:

kukusya

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 27, 2017
    Wa
    This is our version of a Ar15, just a little different. We made the upper the serialized receiver as it houses the buffer tube now. This is a heavier platform designed for precision. The rifle below is still a work in progress. This uses all AR parts internally, including the barrel, bolt/carrier, recoil system(carbine length) trigger group and mag. Early testing shows its a very solid platform and can handle bull barrels with ease.

Rhineland R2000 rifle
    View attachment 8004525
    Who makes that bipod? Thanks

GLD1980

Precious Metal Delivery Service
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2020
    Washington, USA
    The SIG 553 R P, the "Czar of AK's", in 7.62x39:

View attachment 6882042View attachment 6882043

Yes, it's a "pistol". 100 total imported into the U.S.
    @MSTN

That is such a great gun. Maybe the perfect gun. Like the P210 to a pistol aficionado, the 553 is one of my grail guns! I hope to add one to my collection one day. I have a few US SIG guns that work well. Here's one that is 553 inspired, a Gen2 556R.
    5 SIG 556R Gen2.jpg

GLD1980

Precious Metal Delivery Service
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2020
    Washington, USA
    SIG SAUER USA has been on it and I've been trying to keep up. I am not doing to good at keeping up.

MCX Rattler Canebrake .300BO
    2 SIG MCX RC.jpg

M400 SDI Switchblade Pistol 5.56
    4 SIG M400 SDI SWITCHBLADE PISTOL .jpg

556R Gen2 7.62x39
    5 SIG 556R Gen2.jpg

516G2 Patrol 5.56
    6 SIG516G2 Patrol.jpg

MCX VIRTUS W-TAP Patrol 5.56
    7 SIG MCXG2 TAP.jpg

716G2 Patrol FDE 7.62x51
    9 SIG716G2 Patrol FDE.jpg

716I TREAD 7.62x51
    10 SIG 716I Tread.jpg

My SIG's have been good to me.

SmithM21

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 16, 2020
    My son picked this up when he was 18. It came with nine 30 rd HK mags and one 20 rd HK mag. It only had 30 rds. fired through it.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.JPG
      IMG_1718.JPG
      549 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_1719.JPG
      IMG_1719.JPG
      543.7 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_1720.JPG
      IMG_1720.JPG
      469 KB · Views: 14
    • IMG_1721.JPG
      IMG_1721.JPG
      338.6 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_1723.JPG
      IMG_1723.JPG
      363.4 KB · Views: 15

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2011
    Georgia
    @SmithM21 James Williamson mentioned something about the MP5/10 having "hi" and "lo" pressure bolt head/locking pieces..? Do you know anything about this?
    Is the MP5/10 + "hi" pressure locking piece good-2-go with full-house 10mm loads?

Shooter McGavin

NTRP TEAM MEMBER #33
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 22, 2009
    Some where in the US
    ACSS reticle ?
    Been seriously considering grabbing up one of the PA prisms..
    They look to be fairly nice mini-magnified optics for the money.
    I like the 1 prism, the 3x prism has very little eye relief. I mounted one of the 3x and immediately took it off. I ordered another 1x from primary arms.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote

Asiparks

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 26, 2010
    Portland, Or
    SICK
    Care to elaborate on what made you choose that can specifically?
    The Osprey 45 ? Other than a 22, it's my only pistol can, so it ( along with a hand full of pistons), goes on whatever I'm shooting that day. I'm trying to find a Resilient RS9 or a Ca$h 9 in stock to dedicate to my PCCs