• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Any H37 reticle fans? Researching reticles

scubadds

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
I have read about all the threads on reticles I can find.
Had gotten off the horus reticles, was planning on h2cmr or p4f.
But I hunted with a sniper instructor from bragg this weekend.
He isn't a tremor 2 fan, but advised me to get the h37.
I do believe he is in a pretty good position to give advice, but i was surprised he liked the h37 as much as he did.
I just hadn't heard much about it. I did see that the reticle is designed for extreme ranges, as the central targeting grid is elevated 4 mils.
He logic was that you can still dial as you please. But you can mil your misses, and use the reticle holds if you want.
Scope will be s&b 5-25, going on a desert tactical arms .300 wm, hopefully .338 soon. I desire to go towards the extreme ranges. But typically will be less than 700 yds, as that's about all I have on my land at the moment.
Thanks in advance for any comments from those who have used it and like/ don't like it

Re: Any H37 reticle fans? Researching reticles

I love the concept behind the reticle. I have yet to shoot one, but because its the newest reticle on the market like the H59 I hate that you are paying a higher price for the scope.

I actually bought a Bushnell with the H59 but since it took forever to get the scope and I could never get a straight answer from the vendor I canceled the order and just bought a Nightforce.

I like all of the concepts behind the Horus scopes. I'll eventually own one if prices level out with regular midot scopes ect...

I have owned and used optics with the H25 reticle which is similar to the H37, its a great system if you can get used to it, I liked it for multiple targets when you dont have time to dial. Many shooters have a hard time getting used to it, best getting behind one before you spend nearly 4K.

Kirk R

H37 is one of the worst reticles ever created.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H37 is one of the worst reticles ever created. </div></div>
I agree. Had one and only took it to the range once before I knew I never wanted to use it again.

I highly recommend it. I have shot that reticle for years and have taught many newbies how to shoot from children to older people. I admit, it is cluttered, but once you get used to it, probably the best reticle out as far as I`m concerned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend it. I have shot that reticle for years and have taught many newbies how to shoot from children to older people. I admit, it is cluttered, but once you get used to it, probably the best reticle out as far as I`m concerned. </div></div>

Cluttered is a understatement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fastest second recovery shot reticle going today. </div></div>

Pretty sure with training someone could just as easily do it with a mildot.

Just about every high end scope manufacture offers it so it must be doing something good. Don`t listen to everybodies opinion,if you don`t like it, try something else. You could argue about this till you are blue in the face but you will never know until you try for yourself.

I worked for the high end scope manf, and the only reason we put a H37 in any scope is because it was requested by a well funded mil unit......Everyone from the top down agreed the H37 was shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fastest second recovery shot reticle going today.</div></div>Nope. The follow-up shot is not about the scope.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just about every high end scope manufacture offers it so it must be doing something good.</div></div>Really?!! Is that the new test for what is 'good' in a scope?

I shot an H25 for a year. It worked fine, but I didn't need it. If you like the H37, then get it. It will work fine, but when you get experience behind a reticle you will find that you don't need it.

I have never tried one, but have no desire to. Don't understand the premium price. I believe in the KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory. I feel all you need is adequate magnification with fine line reticle and lots of practice. It may have military applications, but that's not what the average hunter/shooter deals with on a daily basis. The consumer will eventually decide. We all have the freedom to pick what we want, at least for now. Who knows, after tomorrow you might not have anything legal to mount it on !

Thanks guys,
It is amazing to see such polar extremes on opinions.

As I said, I had removed the Horus from my choices. But now it's clear I really need to Try one out first.

I would pay to NOT have an horus type reticle...
smile.gif

For target shooters who dial, your going to get negative answers. If you talk with military shooters you going to get positive answers.

Your not going to always have time to dial in tactical environments. I have only met a handful of military snipers, and the ones I did very rarely dialed, always used holds. Most units especially Marine Corps units, are using old hardware, and cant afford new scopes with Horus reticules, but the guys I know have shot through them in school and all loved them. Horus reticules just make it easier.

Some people thought Magpuls precision rifle stuff was gimmicky, but it's no secret Todd Hodnett is a smart guy. He teaches tactical precision rifle deployment, and is a firm believer in the Horus reticules. Look into what he has to say and It might help your decision.

I'm not saying you need an H37, I'm just saying it has it's place.

The H-37 will come into it's own only at the Extreme distances. I shoot the H-59, recently I discovered that my scope's turret values were off when dialed all the way up. Also the scope was blurry because the erector in the scope was cocked so far. I'm talking about 2400Y here. I found it best to dial 15 mils instead of 20 then hold over a bunch with the scopes mag dialed down some.

If you don't plan on shooting that far the regular Horus reticles will do. I like having the top half of the FOV clear for various reasons.

If you will be primarily dialing just get a regular reticle. Primarily holding a Horus reticle works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For target shooters who dial, your going to get negative answers. If you talk with military shooters you going to get positive answers.

Your not going to always have time to dial in tactical environments. I have only met a handful of military snipers, and the ones I did very rarely dialed, always used holds. Most units especially Marine Corps units, are using old hardware, and cant afford new scopes with Horus reticules, but the guys I know have shot through them in school and all loved them. Horus reticules just make it easier.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Some people</span> thought Magpuls precision rifle stuff was gimmicky, but it's no secret Todd Hodnett is a smart guy. He teaches tactical precision rifle deployment, and is a firm believer in the Horus reticules. Look into what he has to say and It might help your decision.

I'm not saying you need an H37, I'm just saying it has it's place. </div></div>

Some people? That might be a bit of a understatement.

Todd Hodnet is also a paid salesman by Horus. The Horus has its strong and weak points. The H58/H59 is fine and like Steve said the H37 only helps with extreme distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For target shooters who dial, your going to get negative answers. If you talk with military shooters you going to get positive answers.

Some people thought Magpuls precision rifle stuff was gimmicky, but it's no secret Todd Hodnett is a smart guy. He teaches tactical precision rifle deployment, and is a firm believer in the Horus reticules. Look into what he has to say and It might help your decision.

I'm not saying you need an H37, I'm just saying it has it's place. </div></div> Are you an 8541/0317? If not then you have absolutely no ground to stand on when it comes to what Marine Scout Snipers use.

I have a fair amount of time down range and I think Horus are shit. Maybe the Marine Corps didn't go with it because Scout Snipers like me and all the rest that were in the STA platoons when the new M40A3 and replacement to the Unertl was being decided upon wanted something that works. Christmas tree style reticles were presented to us and there was a resounding "what the hell is that cluster fuck" heard. Seems Marine Snipers are still doing pretty well without them too.

I'll take a P4 or TMR (or similar variation thereof) any day of the week over a Horus, and did what the Horus claimed could only be done with their reticle just fine back in my days behind the Unertl and a mildot reticle. I have and will continue to choose plain mildot over Horus every time. Yes, I've tried them, given them a full shakedown and promptly picked back up my P4 when I was done, happy to be back at home again.

Reticle holds from 100-1000yds in wind without touching either turret isn't that hard at all if you know what you're doing on the trigger and you put the time into your training. We would drill max point blank shooting in my platoon, and it was still taught in 2001 when I went through the Advanced Course at Quantico. It's when shooters don't put the time into the first shots and think some kind of gimmick of a reticle is going to make the difference is what really gets me.

Take the $500 upcharge for the Horus, buy a case of ammo from Copper Creek or Southwest, and put the time into the range for a solid week. Work on your trigger control and wind calls versus follow-up shots. Tweak your positions. Have two setups you want a Horus with? Put the money into ammo and formal training.

If you aren't in the desert or other area where you actually reliably see the splash of a miss, you aren't going to be able to hold off anyhow. Shooting a soggy Range 4 in March on Quantico taught us that well enough too. Running the drills without a spotter where you're virtually blind on splash will make sure you work that first shot as best as possible. Again, work on your wind calls and trigger control.

Of course training isn't nearly as cool as showing off your kit on the range or Sniper's Hide when everyone is seeking to have their egos stroked when they're having buyers remorse. You are right though, the Horus does have its place.

Take Redmanss' post to heart, he hits all the right points...

The problem is, like Deadly0311 said, which people don't take as being literal, but trust me it's true, TH is a "paid salesman" for Horus. That is how he got started, being hired by Horus to "sell" the reticle to the military. The training is part of the program, after they sell it too you, they sell you classes on how to use it, I know I worked those classes when Rifles Only was the training wing for Horus. It's not a metaphor, or sour grapes, its a simple fact, you are taking a paid spokesman's word as gospel because he can sell.

It's easy to trip up the Horus, as noted above, take away the angle down, take away the desert like conditions with bright puffs of smoke and you're back to everyone's initial response, it's cluttered and busy.

I ran out of elevation at Gunsite last month, my S&B 5-25x with P4 reticle was on a 25MOA base, with only 22 Mils of elevation. I held from 1800m to 2000 meters, as much as 5 mils and at every range I got second round hits. No issue using a lowly P4 reticle to see my target, see my impact and adjust. I also did a stage where I shot a 1250m target and then immediately held over to the 1450m target, 1st round hits on both... no Christmas tree, no Horus. Why, because I drive the rifle right, I can see my impacts when they appear and I know my value.

Holding over is not magic, it's just training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For target shooters who dial, your going to get negative answers. If you talk with military shooters you going to get positive answers.Your not going to always have time to dial in tactical environments.</div></div>It's not about the reticle. You misunderstand how to use one: There's no advantage to an H37 there.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the guys I know have shot through them in school and all loved them. Horus reticules just make it easier.</div></div>Yes, it does make it easier to understand what one is supposed to do with the lines and dots in a scope reticle, but only if you are new to the craft.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people thought Magpuls precision rifle stuff was gimmicky, but it's no secret Todd Hodnett is a smart guy. He teaches tactical precision rifle deployment, and is a firm believer in the Horus reticules. Look into what he has to say and It might help your decision.</div></div>What is 'tactical precision rifle deployment'? I deploy my tactical precision rifle every time I get it out of its case. Todd teaches marksmanship. He is a paid salesman; and a good one.

thanks again for the comments.
I do realize the Horus company has a product to push. I had pretty much discounted the horus reticles until I shot with this instructor.
He isn't a tremor2 fan,and knows Todd well; and I was surprised he liked the H37.
He says he dialed for elevation and holds for wind. But I guess he liked having the grid below.
This instructor knows the terrain I shoot on (we were on my land)and still thought the H37 was best for me.
Granted as stated above, just because a military branch uses something; doesn't make it right for me....
Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course training isn't nearly as cool as showing off your kit on the range or Sniper's Hide when everyone is seeking to have their egos stroked when they're having buyers remorse. You are right though, the Horus does have its place.</div></div>
There's your Sniper's Hide quote of the year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StoopidSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For target shooters who dial, your going to get negative answers. If you talk with military shooters you going to get positive answers.

I'm not saying you need an H37, I'm just saying it has it's place. </div></div> Are you an 8541/0317? If not then you have absolutely no ground to stand on when it comes to what Marine Scout Snipers use.

I have a fair amount of time down range and I think Horus are shit. Maybe the Marine Corps didn't go with it because Scout Snipers like me and all the rest that were in the STA platoons when the new M40A3 and replacement to the Unertl was being decided upon wanted something that works. Christmas tree style reticles were presented to us and there was a resounding "what the hell is that cluster fuck" heard. Seems Marine Snipers are still doing pretty well without them too.

I'll take a P4 or TMR (or similar variation thereof) any day of the week over a Horus, and did what the Horus claimed could only be done with their reticle just fine back in my days behind the Unertl and a mildot reticle. I have and will continue to choose plain mildot over Horus every time. Yes, I've tried them, given them a full shakedown and promptly picked back up my P4 when I was done, happy to be back at home again.

Reticle holds from 100-1000yds in wind without touching either turret isn't that hard at all if you know what you're doing on the trigger and you put the time into your training. We would drill max point blank shooting in my platoon, and it was still taught in 2001 when I went through the Advanced Course at Quantico. It's when shooters don't put the time into the first shots and think some kind of gimmick of a reticle is going to make the difference is what really gets me.

Take the $500 upcharge for the Horus, buy a case of ammo from Copper Creek or Southwest, and put the time into the range for a solid week. Work on your trigger control and wind calls versus follow-up shots. Tweak your positions. Have two setups you want a Horus with? Put the money into ammo and formal training.

If you aren't in the desert or other area where you actually reliably see the splash of a miss, you aren't going to be able to hold off anyhow. Shooting a soggy Range 4 in March on Quantico taught us that well enough too. Running the drills without a spotter where you're virtually blind on splash will make sure you work that first shot as best as possible. Again, work on your wind calls and trigger control.

Of course training isn't nearly as cool as showing off your kit on the range or Sniper's Hide when everyone is seeking to have their egos stroked when they're having buyers remorse. You are right though, the Horus does have its place. </div></div>

I have no ground to stand on? All I did is relay what I had heard, which I made very clear in my statement.

You sound like you've been in a while if you were shooting in Quantico in 01'. With respect, how should I be addressing you? Gunny? Msgt? The Corps has never been big on embracing new doctrine or technology. Whats worked for a long time doesn't often get changed [nor does it need to be], but it would be foolish for anyone to think that doesn't mean it can not be improved upon. Is Horus the answer? I'm not qualified to make a comment, nor did I imply I was. The Marines I have talked to, thought it was a useful tool. But like you said, they get it done just fine with what they have now.

I'm not trying to make enemies here, I do NOT own anything with a Horus reticule. I have shot only a single weapon with a Horus reticule. There is a lot going on in there, but it did all make sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fastest second recovery shot reticle going today. </div></div>
IMO problem is that if one uses reticle for rapid hold-off/over, grid masks splash/impact signature very efficiently. It can be very, very hard to see even with clean sight picure.

And then the stress (incoming feedback from baddies) messing operator up when calculating correct point of aim from grid.

Here's a real answer. With the way the H37 is layed out, your *probably* not going to zero out the scope on the 0 line in the scope. In reality it'll probably be the 3mil or 4mil line on the scope.

Now do a high stress situation be it in combat, or in a match.....Are you going to be able to remember every time that your zero is really the 3mil line and will your eye find it every time when you have to break that shot in 5 secs or less.

I'm speaking from the match side experience......if you shot this reticle at the gap grind on a stage or two...you'd be hating life.

StoopidSlow,

No worries at all, I'm just trying to say there is a huge difference between hearsay and first hand knowledge and experience. Cheers bro.

Ill tell a wonderful story......try a south Texas wind, at 200 I was hold 2.6 mils with a regular old mildot.....Horus aint the wonder reticle you guys make it out to be.

Just out of curiosity, how is it impossible to "click" the windage? To me that just means, you rely on the reticle as your skill as opposed to being able to shoot without one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahoe333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where I live it can be very windy with a lot of gusts. It is impossible to "click" the windage. a 3.4 mil hold over with a 4.8 mil wind <----- without a Horus forget it.</div></div>

I am not trying to scare anyone away from the Horus, its just that everyone that "loves" them thinks they are wonder reticles. They think that because Todd Hodnett reps them and the military uses them, they are great. Most don't realize the reason Todd reps them so hard is because he is Horus's salesman, paid through and through.

The Horus cant do anything for an unexperienced shooter that a regular mildot can do for guy who knows his rifle/scope combo.

All the arguments for, oh it makes your second shot follow up so much faster.....I'd like to put that on a shot timer...good luck sorting through the 10 million hash marks to possibly find your miss, and then remember to count and see how many it was, then move your reticle, then send the next round...see how complicated this can get?

Again, it has its places for ultra long range distances when scopes tend to run out of elevation and you have to hold more.

Austin,

I was just having a little fun by singling you out. Seriousley though, I really am greatful for the varying opinions I've read in this thread. Truth is, I've been wrestling with the idea of whether I'd be seeing any real advantage by using the Horus reticle (and spending the extra 400 clams). The main reason I hadn't finalized the deal with US Optics is because most every thread I've read concerning this reticle is exactly like this one; some people love 'em and others don't. I think I'll save my money and go with a more "traditional" reticle. Still from USO of course.

To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. It's just that lately, I've been paying very close attention to any discussions that involve Horus reticles.

No hijacking here...all good info.
There isn't much common ground on the horus
Wish we could put up a thread of videos shooting thru different reticles, not just static images. Like the one on utube finnaccuracy shooting thru msr.

I'd go with the Horus reticule. I had it in a USO 5-25 and loved it. If I remember correctly I had 12 mil. In the ret. after that I had to go to the knobs. Great ret. for passive ranging within .1 mil., hold over, and holding for wind. Made it real easy/fast to communicate corrections with any spotter using common verbiage. The H58 and H59 are good as well. I'm also a fan of Accuracy 1st.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill tell a wonderful story......try a south Texas wind, at 200 I was hold 2.6 mils with a regular old mildot.....Horus aint the wonder reticle you guys make it out to be.

Just out of curiosity, how is it impossible to "click" the windage? To me that just means, you rely on the reticle as your skill as opposed to being able to shoot without one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahoe333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where I live it can be very windy with a lot of gusts. It is impossible to "click" the windage. a 3.4 mil hold over with a 4.8 mil wind <----- without a Horus forget it.</div></div> </div></div>

I removed my replies - I dont want to argue about it !
Such is life - Some do & Some dont

You ought to try a drill called moving chaos down at Rifles Only....done that a time or two, without a horus, holding for elevation and for wind....with a mildot.

No one was trying to argue with you, but when you make absolute statements such as "With out a Horus forget it" please be expected to get called on that. Likewise, when you say it is "impossible" to "click" the windage, thats another one of those statements that makes you go
confused.gif

Sorry the damn send button got me:

I would really really love to be able to shot everyday. I would shoot every single day if I had the chance. Where I live I have to drive an hour in traffic just to get to a 100yd range unless I prefer an indoor 25yd range that requires only frangible ammo.
I would literally pay to have someone spend a solid week all day and all night teaching me and running drills.
In my world pulling off a shot with 25-40mph gusting winds using clicks and holds seems impossible but everything is subjective - People typically speaks from their "own world" view, I found that it is a lot more productive to put myself in "the other persons shoes" so to speak and try to figure out where that person is coming from before I reply. (I said I try, I dont alway succede)
This is why I retracted my statement - it is to difficult to put into words my true context or true meaning on a single post - I would rather sit back and learn. Hence, I dont want to argue.

Again - I am serious about the rifle training - I would love to learn but I cant afford to move due to other obligations. That is why I sit and read just about every damn post on this site.

I always thought the Horus was a great idea. Right up until I started reading comments like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you aren't in the desert or other area where you actually reliably see the splash of a miss, you aren't going to be able to hold off anyhow.</div></div>

90% of the shooters out there would not go anywhere near a 25 to 40 MPH wind, sure I have shot it and others have too, but its rare, especially for a new shooter.

Just an example, a 25 MPH wind with a 308 at 800 is at least 5.5 mils, so dialing back to the center for the average wind is smarter, because even with the Horus, 7.6 mils on your hold, plus 5.5 mils on your windage puts you well off center on the lower right hand quarter of the reticle, not exactly the sweet spot of your optics. Dialing windage and elevation at least gets you back into the center of the reticle. Now in that wind, a 6 to 10MPH gust is not uncommon, another 2 mils of windage is possible... being in the lower right hand corner, you now have to focus your attention well off center and look for your splash, which in that wind is gonna be super quick, if at all...

Dialing is more precise, there is no two ways about it. As I have challenged, go shoot an F Class match to 1000 yards on a 1/2 MOA X Ring holding and see how well you fair.

Being off center in the optic, even with an expensive scope, let alone an inexpensive one gets you into an area of more distortion, which risks deviations in the actual fall based on general optical deficiencies. Take your best scope at home, put out a square grid at even 100 yards and look at it in the center, then look at it off center, all the way to edges, changing the powers... let me know how that works. I would bet any money the lines don't remain straight in true in your sight picture when looking at it off center. Not to mention you better adjust your NPA to be off that much in the optic, you'd be surprised, we are designed and the rifles are set up to look through the middle not the edges.

The idea of holding alone is for speed, within the personal danger space of the shooter, which is about 600m and in. This is effective because your target is not so small and precise, you can acquire quick, engage rapidly using the fall of the bullet and move to the next target. Distance, beyond 600m should give the time and opportunity to line up the shot, using that distance to his advantage and hit. Why, because shots beyond 600m are harder... can you as a new shooter guarantee a first round hit at 800, or 1000 ? How about fast, within 10 seconds of less ? The question I would ask is why would you, that shot is an higher priority so why hold when you can set it up, dial, and if you do miss, hopefully you are using the center of your FOV so you can see both above and below, not just left or right to make that correction. Then the corrections should be small if you did your job right which means, a slight favor with out a screen door in your way.

Sure you can invent scenarios, you can what if and tailor the argument to fit the reticle, but I assure you, it can be done just as well with any reticle including a standard Mil Dot.

With a 400 yard zero on the turrets, you can hold from 100 to 600 yards without going beyond 2.5 mils in any one direction. Takes care of your personal danger space and is pretty simple without needing a grid reticle. Nowadays most companies are offering reticles with extended holds so it kills the notions that you need that much more.

Take your best scope at home, put out a square grid at even 100 yards and look at it in the center, then look at it off center, all the way to edges, changing the powers... let me know how that works. <---- Great Idea, I am going to sneak into my neigbor's yard tomorrow and put a grid on one of his trees.

add.... Because it is so difficult for me to find 500yds + and that I am new to precise long range should I go with the horus. In your opinon? also I am ecstatic-I signed up for the Chris Costa carbine class in Oct 13' here in CA.

Tahoe....starting out I would shoot some form of a mildot or P4 esque reticle. With your absolute statement earlier that I quoted, do you or have you shot the Horus, your statement leads me to believe that you had.

No sir,
I have been studying magpul dynamics "the art of precision rifle" and the logic that he was using made since to me.

deadly0311..... I was a scratch golfer until I was used as a speed bump while on my motorcycle from a woman that didnt see me. Staying scratch took up all of my time. She (golf) doesnt like to share you with anyone and wants every bit of your time. This shows that I am willing to "work for it" when I want something.
That was 3 years ago and I am just starting to get back to normal (my new normal) and golf is pretty much done.
I have always been excellent with a pistol, just avg with a shotgun and with a rifle I more or less plinked around. With golf now gone I dusted off my sako 300wm and picked up a sn3 from julio as well as a lwrc m6a2 556 to occupy my time. I have always been facinated with those "bad asses" who shoot the mile+. I am a perfectionist and I really think that I can become an excellent shot. I have to find a way to do it while living in S.F. (wont be easy). ----- , I dont have a ton of money and when I buy something I have to make sure I get it right. This is why I have been glued to this forum for weeks now. I was told a while back that I need to study and re-study the magpul dynamic dvd's, As I am doing every week. SO NOW WE COME BACK TO THE OP's HORUS RETICLE DEBATE. Everything that I have been subjected to so far says that the Horus Reticle cant hurt me but it can definitely help me.
SO SHRUG ---- you tell me? Its confusing.

I was just clarifying, as the post that I first quoted of yours, you made it sound as if you shoot with a Horus. I understand if Todd Hodnett made a good sales pitch in the Magpul video, thats what he is supposed to do.

If I were you, I'd rock some form of a mil dot or mil hash reticle and get profiecient with that and rock on.

Truthfully honest, the Magpul video is flashy and a sales pitch video. You want honest videos to watch and help you get better, sign up for the online training here, the videos that Jacob (RiflesOnly) and Frank(Lowlight) put together are leaps and bounds better than the Magpul stuff.

Truthfully the Horus can't "hurt" you, but it came damn sure make life harder if you aren't under a specific set of parameters. I would work on the Indian first not the arrow, if you are seriously contemplating a Horus, it wouldn't be the 37 that I would choose, I would go with the 59 or 58. I would also try and get behind one before I even thought of dropping the 300-400 dollar up charge for one.

Im not here to be a smart ass or argue with you, just trying to help...sometimes I am a bit abrasive though
laugh.gif

Glad you are recovering well from your motorcycle accident.

Thanks, This forum has giving me some insanely good information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahoe333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, This forum has giving me some insanely good information. </div></div>If you're impressed now, try shooting a match or two.
cool.gif

You have received some very good advice here from folks with real world practice. The overarching theme is good training with whatever you end up with. In this age of fingertip access to "training" media (no offence to LL's work) its easy to get lured into the feeling its actual training.

I like to keep my reticule choice simple and versatile. I have seen well trained shooters successfully engage targets useing both dialed adjustments and holdovers. I like the function of a MP8 (IOR) or MLR 2.0 (Nightforce).

Something I know that is addressed by Horus is the need to have the reticule perfectly level to the target. I also know its important for dialing holds. I wonder if dialing alows for more forgiveness, I don't have the answer but may be worthwhile looking closer at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahoe333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, This forum has giving me some insanely good information. </div></div>If you're impressed now, try shooting a match or two.
cool.gif
</div></div>

I dont know anyone in the shooting world, it would be difficult to roam around a match alone.
It would be nice to see the equipment that I never get to check out at our local gun stores.
My inlaws live in Faibanks, visiting them is great because everyone is a gun person and it is easy to make friends up there.