• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

As 2014 Approaches does this need to be addressed ?

No. Fun grows the sport. You can have all that other stuff but if people aren't having fun they won't show up. And a match that you have fun at has plenty of meaning. This is the problem that the past couple years has been coming around. People are thinking like the quote. I got into this sport because it was fun. Fun shooting with like minded people and friends. The sport is growing and has been for years and will continue as long as it's kept fun.

Rob don't take it too far out of context, I'm not saying that without it the match has no worth or fun, I'm saying that it's great to remember it by.

I make sure to take my camera to the matches up here to get pictures and take video so that I can put it together for everyone to enjoy later and for years to come.
We're all pretty tight nit up here and consider each other friends so having something to remember a match that happened last summer is pretty cool. Everyone has been appreciative enough that I don't mind spending the hours to edit and put them up so they can show their friends or family.

Without it, it was still a great day but memories fade and you loose the details of what happened. With a click they watch the FSC match slideshow from last April and see the dust flying ;)

Here's what I'm talking about if your bored
atonefew - YouTube

Well the common thread if you look what people say when they talk about matches today is,

The idea they have to compete alongside a "pro" or sponsored guy and there is no separation. Everyone falls over the top 10 guys who are the same Top 10 at every match they attend. There is no point for a lot of people as they are getting dismissed wholesale. Sure guys will still have fun, because the matches are fun, but they realize really early that if they are not shooting a 6mm @ 3150fps they are not gonna compete. Been to a match where people were herded out of the way to make room for the top shots. It was like royalty coming threw, I sat back and chuckled as they dismissed a bunch of competitors to entertain the teams.

The point is to create a separation that opens the door and establishes a clear line so while you are competing alongside everyone, your not competing against people who are being paid or rewarded to shoot all these matches. Many people can only afford 1 big match a year. When they show up they don't want to be dismissed as window dressing. Maybe it's not immediate, but if they can see how they rank alongside similar shooters, instead of a pro shooter it makes it more fun overall. When they think back, and can look at the stats separated out, they can get a better sense of accomplishment. Instead of saying they came in 41st against 3 Teams of 10 shooters, maybe in a Limited class they came in 8th ... cause almost everyone in front of them was shooting a round that they had no chance against.

Fun comes in different forms, most matches are Fun, but what you take away after the match is over is what counts.

^^^^ I like this. Well said. This is what I was trying to say a bit earlier.

Make it accessible to the poor schmucks like me. :)

I should probably know better than to step into the middle of an emotionally charged discussion (especially one where I know so very little), but that has never stopped me before.

Anytime you have a series with classifications you will have people gaming the system just to advance in the artificial classifications. It happened with IPSC, NRA, USPSA, F-class, etc. and always will -- the rules set grows and grows, committees need to be formed to discuss grey areas, etc. The focus turns from shooting, learning, and having fun to learning the rulebook.

I started shooting in the tactical rifle LR and ELR matches to grow my own personal skills. At the beginning I came in DFL more than once. But I considered those matches my greatest wins because I learned so much at them, and consequently I moved off the bottom. Is there a way to create a series program that rewards training somehow? I.e. those that improve someone else's shooting by some amount get the most "points"? In my view if I knew that every match I went to I would improve some aspect of my shooting skills THAT would be the most fun and motivating to get out to additional matches. It is the camaraderie and learning aspects I value the most, not the point system being used.

In the end though folks will vote with their feet. Try out your idea, and see if people come and keep coming.

Also consider the sponsors in all this -- it would be interesting to hear if they desire a new series. Probably the view is all the exposure they can get for their product sis a good thing. But, along the lines of the idea above, what if a group of sponsors decided to get together and do a traveling "road show"/training where the help shooters install and use their products in a match environment? I think this would bring alot more new shooters into the fold rather than just stringing up a banner and dropping some goodies on the prize table. (They would also get invaluable feedback from those shooters to improve their products.)

This has nothing to do with regards to the cost of a match, we can't even begin to think about that. It's not fair.

If you think paying for a match is expensive try running one. The time you spent setting up and checking the COF is more or less a complete loss. The paperwork, emails, questions, all the administrative stuff is free.

You have the land, targets, insurance, supplies, we paid for hotel rooms for Range Officers, it's really quite expensive to run a match. A majority of the competitions out there don't turn a profit even with so many volunteering their free time.

Very true statement as after every match your hear folks talking about match cost and saying man you are making a mint when the reality it is a labor of love not $$$$

[MENTION=32633]AtOne[/MENTION] it wasn't a shot at you but just a grounding statement for people that start to make this sport too much like a business or work. When it becomes that it loses something. Not many people make a living shooting and this sport is a release and fun distraction for many. Fun time testing ones self and hanging with friends and laughing. Honestly I think the PRS killed some of that. As I have always said people who have only been doing this a couple years don't realize how fun it used to be without the PRS. It makes me laugh when people today say a "PRS match" to describe matches like it makes it better. You know what that was a couple of years ago? A tactical rifle match. Same as it is today. If the PRS disappeared today do you think there would be less matches? If you do you need to think again. The sport was and is growing with or witrhout the PRS.

Frank's idea is a good one and is less intrusive and governmental than the PRS. Will keep it fun for all including MDs. Keep at it Frank.

OK I guess I will shime in now. I have seen a lot of good ideas brought up and Frank has a good concept, but keep in mind like anything else it is something that is growing from something else. I can still remember when IDPA got started because some of the shooters though that USPSA was turning more in to a GAME and a equipment race. So what did these people do, start there own GAME. Again not a bad idea, but still a little different.

Also I remember years ago when there was talk about doing different class at tactical matches. Some people said NO because it would be to much work to figure out and they just wanted to give out to the top three finishers.

I have to agree with Rob, I like going to these matches to hang out with old friend, to make new friends and also to test myself against the COF and the good shooters. I can tell you that some of these shooters are getting better, but I have found that many of them are training hard and that is all they are shooting. That is why they are better. More to come.

The gaming and equipment race has already begun and is happening in full force.

Guys have private Facebook page or Text each other information because they are on a team (getting around the no coaching rule)

No train up so they spend at week at a different range and work together before the big match or re-word the use of train up to by pass it.

Shooting all the same caliber and load, like the 6mm CM, they push to the limit with everyone using the same load. Then see point 1.

Gaming happens, yet nothing I have see addresses the biggest factor to any advantage in a precision rifle match -- Speed.

if the entire field is open, which it is now, there is no classification, that means first time shooter with a 308 and 168s is competing against 14 guys in the Top 20 shooting a 6mmCM all at 3100+ and there is no distinction at all. So by dividing it by velocity, you can have a guy with a 308 shooting 155s at 2800fps against a guy shooting a 6.5CM at 2800 and it's not a complete blow out. The advantage is small and here the better shooter can rise much higher than trying to compete against a 6mm at 3100.

It's 9.2 vs 8.5 instead of letting them max the 6.5 out, and blowing out guy. Windage is 2.0 for the 6.5 and 2.4 for the 308... completely fair.

There is no way to make it 100% perfect, that is impossible. As soon as you say all the 308 and nothing over 2700, someone will complain Shooter X has a S&B 5-25x and Shooter Y has a 3-12x Off Brand. Now you have to address this.

part of the deal with tactical matches is problem solving and timing. You have to hit the targets that are not all KD and you have to manage the clock to not waste your shots. That is what levels the field back down a bit.

I think the velocity split works. I think gaming comes in several forms and we cannot stop all of it. But we can run the gear down a bit. In F/TR they are talking about 308 shooters with 30+ Inch Barrels pushing heavy bullets as hard as physically possible., With a speed limit you cant do that, with a diverse COF you can maneuver that rifle. So we make it manageable yet fair.

Fair does not equal Perfect... this is not where we limit the tires, limit the engine, limit the weight, limit the spoiler, it's just a speed limit. That works and still maintains the spirit of a tactical Match.

I'm in. I shoot several local matches a year (I never do very well). I have looked at the PRS series, and in the abstract it sounds great. The time and financial investments are beyond my means to get into this. An idea like this is exactly what I am looking for.

One of our local clubs sets up LR matches of various flavor every month. The costs are usually $20 entry fee. This makes it very appealing to me as a shooter. The club gets anywhere from 10-40 shooters per match. Usually there is not a prize table, we do it for bragging rights, betterment of our skills and enjoyment. The money raised by these events funds the club for upkeep and a very aggressive site improvement program.

As for this new comp series, set it up and I will come play.

You asked for community input so I'll toss it out where requested, don't be offended here but I don't know if breaking up classes by speed is the way to go. You know way more about running matches than I do so I'm just offering this up for consideration. Base the classes on the basis of performance, which is easily measured and recorded. I agree the guy with the 6CM shooting 3150 has a huge advantage over the first timer with dad's 308 and 168s. I think the issue is logistics. You can't chronograph everybody's loads on the match meeting day, it would take forever, and as you said...guys are always going to try and game it by letting you pick rounds out of the 'sandbagged' box to keep themselves in a less competitive division and then break out the full velocity ammo for the match. Its too hard to police classifications by speed, I would think. If you break it into three classifications, begginer/intermediate/expert, you let people choose their classification for their first match. After that, how they perform, determines what pool of competition they are in for future matches.

If I'm hot stuff and I enter as an intermediate to make myself feel good instead of pushing myself against the big dogs, I might blow out the competition, but I can only do it once. Then my standings in the top 10, top 15, whatever you decide, automatically ranks me up to expert for the next competition. This way all the guys that are hot stuff compete against each other, and so do the newer guys, regardless of what gear they have. If I work hard and have money to spend on a custom rifle but I don't have the experience to run with the big dogs why do I get lumped in with the pros? Likewise, I've seen some guys at SHC that can shoot rings around a lot of guys with ballistically superior calibers. New guys shouldn't be competing with a guy who can shoot lights out just because he's running a 308. By making the classification dependent on performance you take gear out of the equation. As you said, this way we don't have people complaining that they are up against a guy with a better scope, or a better caliber, or a cooler sling, or whatever.

It would be fairly easy to do. Base it on a percentile so that the number of shooters is irrelevant, you can be ranked in a match with 50 or a match with 150 shooters. 0%-49.9% is the beginner class, 50%-74.9% is intermediate, and 75%-100% is expert. So if you enter a match like SHC, maybe 125 shooters, and you land in 75th place, you are in the 60th Percentile, that lumps you into intermediate class for the next match. Then you can put a rule in place like you need two or three scores before ranking up. So if I have a great day, or some of the heavy hitters have harder stages in worse weather, I don't move up too fast. After initial classification you need 3 scores in the same year to move up a level.

I really respect what you are trying to do here I'm only tossing this out because you wanted community input. I just think using scores to determine classification is easier than using muzzle velocity which is impossible to monitor or even test across the board. It also keeps people from sand bagging. If you are a dynamite shot and you hear there is a new rifle up for grabs for top 308 or for a different class, its not as simple as entering with a different rifle or downloading your ammunition to put yourself in another classification. Hope that makes sense.

Rich

One thing I was going to mention last night about the speed thing, Frank I think you have the right idea. Looking again at motorsports, they actually do it in the inverse though. Usually the more premier classes are more power, heavier, tougher to muscle around the track, etc. The equivalent of that in LR shooting is to go down to the .308 (or lower muzzle velocity) for the experts as speed in this sport makes things easier, especially coupled with a light bullet which negates recoil. I don't know if making pros run a .308 175gr is the way to go or not, maybe it doesn't matter as guys find work-arounds (like the "bipods" they use in F-class now). In MX they usually have an "open" class where guys can run anything, that's great I think, however the real competitors go first for the premier classes where they compete on a somewhat even playing field (those classes are where the money and pro careers come into play).

Back to what was mentioned earlier about fun vs profit. Fun is a prerequisite, it has to be fun. A sport can grow on fun I think. However, when you put the competitive aspect into it and have sponsors donating prizes or sponsoring shooters, that's a different story. A match director is only going to work so hard at a match just for the love of the game. As things start to get bigger, people have to be making money off of it for the sport to grow as a competitive sport, in my opinion. The promoter of a NASCAR race isn't doing it because he loves car racing (that's part of it, sure). Things come to a tipping point somewhere where a promoter is investing so much time (along with the others involved) that he has to decide between his hobby and maybe his main career or his kid's soccer games. A familiar shooting forum might be a good analogy for that fun vs profit conversation. There doesn't need to be a profit, matches can continue on as local informal affairs indefinitely but to have a real competitive series I think some guys will need to make money.

Last edited:
Rob no worries and completely understand what your saying.
Here in the Northwest everyone either knows everyone else or if someone is new to the sport we make sure to get to know them and help them along at the matches, some great people up here to hang out with and we always look forward to the next get together.

I could see for ease making two classifications .308 and under and faster calibers as the Unlimited.
Really even if your pushing a 308 to max velocities out of a 30" barrel your still dealing with recoil and a longer barrel to move into positions so its not like it would be much of an advantage over someone shooting a 20" barrel and 175's at 2650. I think that they would equal each other out for advantages and disadvantages in that classification.

Unlimited, meaning with restrictions on velocity still though.. That way it still keeps the playing field marginally close in that classification.

Skill level classes I kind of waver on. I come from lots of years of bike racing and they did have classes from beginner to pro and they only competed against each other at their level. The points we're all classified in the same state totals for all skill levels. If you won 3 races you moved up to the next class.
I'm not sure this sport needs it because at local matches everyone would be competing on the same COF and having to separate everyone into a classification for scoring for the MD's may make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Its still about having matches that are not only fun and challenging but also being able to learn from them by shooting side by side with some of the top competitors.

This is what makes this sport so great in my mind. Where else can you show up to a match and compete side by side with some of the most talented people in their sport ? It would be like being a runner and being able to try your hand at racing against Usain Bolt or as a golfer to show up to a local match and be paired up with Tiger Woods for the day. No your probably not going to win but I'm sure you'll learn a few things while your with them that you can help further your knowledge.

Really there are a lot of 'what if" situations and you can point to any number of times when, you or someone you know shot a match and felt out gunned.

That is part of the process. We don't want to micro manage this so much, and the point is, if a match does not want to participate, but we have 10 shooters in it that are participating, you want their scores to work even without the match director's support. So, there needs to be a system in place that works without knowing the background of every shooter on the line. Can it throw off you score that week, sure it can. But its still a score.

If you have guys constantly moving up and down, that makes it really hard to track. There are always guys that do well one match, and completely blow another. So you'll have them shooting intermediate today, then pro tomorrow, do they go back to intermediate the next one if they tanked it doing their pro run ? What happens if a scope breaks, equipment malfunction, does that count for or against them ?

Fair is not perfect, it's just as fair as it can be given the nature of the contest. Speed limits help level the field, if Bob is a great shooter no matter what, that speed limit will not hurt him. It also let's the guys shoot different things. I have shot 308s at one match, a 260 another and 6CM at another this year alone. Calling it limited and open is a clear label.

Are there gonna be someone who shoots limited, with a rifle going 2850, probably. but that is their bad. I see a situation where you can check rifles, heck even one round is better than nothing. Go down the line during the match grab a round, check their dope, you can run it backwards to see. Most guys have their dope on them, if their 1000 yard number is low, move them to Open.

I think the simpler the better, especially in the beginning if it grows and we see these problems become widespread, then we address it. But to start, easier is better.

A Top 3 in Open and Top 3 in Limited is still much better than everything being open and rewarding the Top 5 there.

Good ideas here. I think speed should be one split and pro/am should be the other.

Why not just have one administrative team that puts on matches at various venues across the US?

I would echo this.

In addition I really don't have much of a desire to have 4 competition guns. If I wanted to do 4 gun (Bolt/Gas/Shotgun/Pistol) I would alternate shooting 3 gun with a bolt gun and an AR. I and many others got into this sport and tactical shooting because of the desire to shoot a rifle. I don't mind shooting a pistol too, or running a DMR type match with gas guns only but my preferred is a bolt action rifle.

I haven't shot a PRS match yet so I can't pass judgement there and as for your different classes I just don't see the audience. Maybe its because I'm an EAST coast shooter but between the Mason Dixon Sniper Series at Mayberry in MD (600 yards max) and New Holland in PA (640 yards max), the PNTC matches in WV(Unknown max distance), the black hat matches at Mifflin, PA(1100 yards max) its really at least 50% the same group of guys. I would say of that group there are 10 that are willing and interested in traveling any further North/South/West to shoot more matches. In the past the mason dixon series was a multi-gun event but from what I've heard (Asking Fargo or SteveInMD to chime in) that actually drove some shooters away.

Why not make the SnipersHide CUP a 4 Match series? You run 4 big ass matches a year and you get to pick and choose how you want it to go down.

I must admit I liked the INITIAL idea behind the PRS Club Series. Everyone shoots the same rule set, its up to the MD for difficulty and you compete against other clubs around the country. I don't like the big entry fee outside the match fees, the limitation on number of clubs or the lack of administrative oversight.

The question to me isn't about whats "ideal" or "perfect" but about whats achievable. I think that T.Pohuski at PNTC is on to something. Running tactical matches of different types, goal of I think 1 per month. Its an amazing facility and it could bring a lot of EAST Coast shooters together. I would love to see PNTC aggregate scores from match to match over the course of a year like the Mason Dixon Series does. Are there are other venues willing to let you put on a match?

As for the anti-PRS mentality I disagree a bit. I'm intimidated at the idea of shooting against guys like you(LowLight) and A10XPlumber but that doesn't mean I won't show up and try to beat you. If I'm successful(not too likely) that just gives me the confidence to know I can play at that caliber. I think my bottom line point about them is that if we want this sport to take off it has to grow in 2 directions. It has to get big, getting big means more shooters, which means more matches, more competition, more awareness. It also has to get better, without those guys pushing there 6MM DILLIGAF and 6.5 DILLIGAF (Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck) 3150 FPS and texting, facebooking, flying around the country to prove they are the best this sport wouldn't advance. The pros are out in front to pave the way for the rest of us. I commend what they are doing, I'm envious and I wish I could be apart of the club. I'm trying to. I don't have open access to a distance range but I try to shoot in one match a month and also one long distance training day. Doesn't any competitor want to strive to get better, compete at the next level?

Simply put someone has to be the best.

Right now my definition of the best is these guys:

VXxZhl2.png

Does that mean they could out shoot david tubb at high power? Or Chris Kyle if he was still with us at the 'real thing'? No it doesn't, but to me it means they are busting their ass and making a name for themselves in the most competitive tactical shooting events that I know of.

I don't think it can be an "us vs them" mentality. We all have to find a way to co-exist. Why not take away some of the positive things about PRS and start the ARS (Amatuer Rifle Series). I like some aspects of PRS that are like golf.

1. Matches are held at the same/simliar venues year-after-year but the course changes.
2. Competitors have the capability to sign up for any match they want, given that they qualify
3. Other than the masters, nobody is guaranteed a spot, period (Not a PRS thing but would love to see it)
4. You have to pay to play
5. The rules are the same for everyone

I'm sorry to rant and my thoughts fragmented but there is a lot to be said here.

Really there are a lot of 'what if" situations and you can point to any number of times when, you or someone you know shot a match and felt out gunned.

That is part of the process. We don't want to micro manage this so much, and the point is, if a match does not want to participate, but we have 10 shooters in it that are participating, you want their scores to work even without the match director's support. So, there needs to be a system in place that works without knowing the background of every shooter on the line. Can it throw off you score that week, sure it can. But its still a score.

If you have guys constantly moving up and down, that makes it really hard to track. There are always guys that do well one match, and completely blow another. So you'll have them shooting intermediate today, then pro tomorrow, do they go back to intermediate the next one if they tanked it doing their pro run ? What happens if a scope breaks, equipment malfunction, does that count for or against them ?

Fair is not perfect, it's just as fair as it can be given the nature of the contest. Speed limits help level the field, if Bob is a great shooter no matter what, that speed limit will not hurt him. It also let's the guys shoot different things. I have shot 308s at one match, a 260 another and 6CM at another this year alone. Calling it limited and open is a clear label.

Are there gonna be someone who shoots limited, with a rifle going 2850, probably. but that is their bad. I see a situation where you can check rifles, heck even one round is better than nothing. Go down the line during the match grab a round, check their dope, you can run it backwards to see. Most guys have their dope on them, if their 1000 yard number is low, move them to Open.

I think the simpler the better, especially in the beginning if it grows and we see these problems become widespread, then we address it. But to start, easier is better.

A Top 3 in Open and Top 3 in Limited is still much better than everything being open and rewarding the Top 5 there.

Maybe its just me. But I don't have enough guns for all of that. The guys I shoot with don't either. Most of us have one match rifle, maybe two. I'd really hate to slow my load done just to shoot in a match. Are you recommending that the whole match be one class or that different shooters in the same match shoot in different classes? As for moving people up and down why not do it annually? Your ranking / points at the end of December 31 put you into the qualifying category for X Bracket. You could still allow the top shooters in a bracket to "play-up" by allowing say a top 3 finisher at any match to register and shoot a higher tier match.

@peacewar hate to say but you are clearly not understanding a thing being said.

I suggest you go back and read from the start as you are completely missing the mark.

There is no multiple gun component, there is no reason to slow your load down, among other inaccuracies.

Ive been around this sight for ALONG time, I have ALOT of posts (gone now since sight change over). Ive shot a few matches, ROed a Few. I think its all about fun. If its not fun, people wont come. I have NOT shot a PRS match yet. A good friend is is the top 12 shooters. I would say Frank im moving to CO in the near future, If you build a match Ill dedicate whatever time to help you and put it on anytime you need it. It would be my pleasure.

My wife and I are pretty new to this game, shot three local 1 and 2 day matches in WA. We are CMP distinguished and she's on the US PALMA team. Plus we shoot a fair amount of three gun. Until last year we didn't even know this game existed.

What attracted us to this shooting discipline:

No rules! How liberating after the kibuki theater of rules that most shooting sports become.
Unknown ranges: super fun, opens a whole new depth to shooting.
Crazy positions.
Long distances between stages.
The people in this sport are totally out of the box. So the stages are unpredictable.
The sport requires a level of fitness.Not ironman fit but you gotta be able to carry your gear. Please keep it that way
Haven't seen many primadonas who tailor the rules for their own benefit. (Ie David Tubb and high power fiasco)

In short this game is fun because it's not rule infested. Please keep it that way.

The Rules need not be overly complex to start.

We know were the benefit comes from, speed... if you say 308, guys run them at 3150fps, if you say no magnum, they run a 6mm at magnum speeds. So separating the divisions by speed solves a lot of that.

I thought about limiting scopes by power, say 25x but consider the price of a 30x XRS, it's cheaper, so you run into that problem. Do you have a stock division, off the shelf rifle with no modification, well maybe, but what constitutes a stock rifle ? You can still buy a stock rifle with a wind cheater caliber. So a guy buys a stock 6.5CM and loads it to 3100fps and competes in a stock division, that sort of defeats the purpose. Speed is the deciding factor, so keeping it regulated eliminate the gear race while allowing those to move forward. you can shoot a 6.5CM at 2800fps and be in the Limited division, decide to move and load it to 2900fps. It gives you an exit.

maybe 3 years from now we add a Stock division by speed there too... but for now easier is better.

Frank,

I know there are a lot of novice shooters that have picked up a 6.5 CM, .243, .260 etc that can easily push mv above your 2800fps. I am not sure what mv factory 6.5 cm is pushing but it may be over your limit. Most shooters don't want to have a comp load and a practice load that differs. Also, if some shooters travel from sea level to the SH cup in Douglas, WY they may quickly find that the ammo they loaded that was below your 2,800 fps limit may well be over the limit, thus pushing them into an unexpected class, As shooters we typically try to wring out the maximum capability out of our rifles. This is true even for novices. We should be doing what we can to help those around us to become better shooters and not try to handicap them during the process. On the flip side, you could have a fantastic shooter decide that he wants to dominate one of your lower classes and does so just by dropping his mv. I have seen some chatter on local forums about this and the general consensus is to not break out class by mv or type of rifle. I think classes should be based on skill level and not equipment brought to the table.

Maybe a better way to break classes out would be based on experience or experience/points earned. Once you accumulate so many points you are moved up into the next class of shooters. This was the way it worked when I raced motorcycles as a youth. Once you accumulated so many points in the Beginner class, you were bumped to Novice, then to Intermediate, and finally to Pro. Sure you may have a sandbagger show up to a race or two, but they were quickly sorted out to the next higher division.

I have tried to convince a number of individuals to show up to local matches in the past. A few don't need any convincing as they feel like the could take on Tom Berenger in the movie Sniper or they just aren't afraid of being humbled at a match. Most are fairly intimidated by the idea at first and I think don't want to show up and get schooled by a bunch of what they believe to be advanced avid shooters. If I could tell them, hey we have a beginner class for people attending their first 3-4 matches and you will get some great tips from fellow shooters while attending. Maybe more people would jump at the invitation to attend a match.

Just a couple ideas at 2:45 am. Hopefully they are coherent.

Last edited:
I have only been in one real tactical precision match and there was only a handful of rules. All but two had to do with safety. Caliber size and speed limit were the two. I did really bad but I had so much fun that I'm hooked. I too hope for less rules. I love to watch really good shooters and have no problem shooting with them. Sponsors want everybody, the good, the bad and the ugly because its their business and they do support the games so I also see no need to limit the gear race ether. Points should be 1 per impact with a 2 point possible for a first round hit on some stages. If a MD wanted to give special recognition to shooters that used less efficient equipment then so be it but don't add it to the rules. Rules suck! Good
RO's and Safety make the games fun.

Guys need a bowling league for their snipin rifles I suppose. Get the shirts too! The whole ball of wax is becoming commercialised like duck dynasty dooms day long range precision tactical rifle shooters league. Can't wait till big Jim scouten is tellin you tac shooters to keep em in the A zone.

My thoughts,

Local (club level) matches are a must.

I have four ranges that are within 30 minutes of my house that are limited to 100-200 yards. I really want to start shooting tactical/sniper type rifle comps. But I have a difficult time due to the time involved getting to the location, however many days the match lasts and returning back... save for maybe one or two a year if they are scheduled many months in advance and within a day’s drive.

I also see a hard sell to local range boards “Hey, I want to have a tactical match where shooters will be moving to shooting positions and shooting from improvised positions with a centerfire rifle.”

A rimfire class (specifically 22LR) may be a good addition at the club level.

Equipment costs are lower, ammo is cheaper (when it can be found that is...) making it easy for someone just starting out to jump in while a veteran rifle shooter is still challenged as well... all while being an easier sell to local range boards that just have a couple to a few dirt back stops with one defined shooter location.

With a centerfire, caliber selection and speed are going to be a non issue at these short distances as it favors a shooter’s over all speed and knowledge of improvised shooting positions. A 22LR Rimfire would bring back wind and drop knowledge for shooters and perceived safety to less than eager local range boards with clubs located in or near large populations.

Last edited:
One thing I was going to mention last night about the speed thing, Frank I think you have the right idea. Looking again at motorsports, they actually do it in the inverse though. Usually the more premier classes are more power, heavier, tougher to muscle around the track, etc. The equivalent of that in LR shooting is to go down to the .308 (or lower muzzle velocity) for the experts as speed in this sport makes things easier, especially coupled with a light bullet which negates recoil. I don't know if making pros run a .308 175gr is the way to go or not, maybe it doesn't matter as guys find work-arounds (like the "bipods" they use in F-class now). In MX they usually have an "open" class where guys can run anything, that's great I think, however the real competitors go first for the premier classes where they compete on a somewhat even playing field (those classes are where the money and pro careers come into play).

Back to what was mentioned earlier about fun vs profit. Fun is a prerequisite, it has to be fun. A sport can grow on fun I think. However, when you put the competitive aspect into it and have sponsors donating prizes or sponsoring shooters, that's a different story. A match director is only going to work so hard at a match just for the love of the game. As things start to get bigger, people have to be making money off of it for the sport to grow as a competitive sport, in my opinion. The promoter of a NASCAR race isn't doing it because he loves car racing (that's part of it, sure). Things come to a tipping point somewhere where a promoter is investing so much time (along with the others involved) that he has to decide between his hobby and maybe his main career or his kid's soccer games. A familiar shooting forum might be a good analogy for that fun vs profit conversation. There doesn't need to be a profit, matches can continue on as local informal affairs indefinitely but to have a real competitive series I think some guys will need to make money.

I like this idea a lot. Your performance sets the classification you shoot in not the rifle your shooting. I have more than once seen a guy with more money than good since come to shoot with all the latest and greatest and not be able to shoot nearly to the level of his gear and on the flip side there are a lotta guys who place at or near the top with 308s quite frequently. This also lets people have something to strive for at a personal level vice I need to save up some money and buy a rifle in XXX cartridge so I can compete with in this other class. Im all for buying a new rifle, but the satisfaction of knowing I improved my skill enough to move to the next classification is priceless. Like moving from Expert to Master or High Master to Distinguished. As for how long till you "level up" I think a system kinda like the NRA does where you need 3 scores in the new class to change would be Ok.

The velocity classifications are ok, but velocity isnt everything. Velocity combined with BC are where you make ground. Im currently building a 6mm FatRat for a small frame AR. 105 Berger Hybrids at 2800fps are 2/3s of what my 308 is in both elevation and wind but under the velocity split these two would still be competing for the same prizes. Maybe a power factor style rating derived from G1 or G7 and muzzle velocity to give some arbitrary number?

Between the two Id still rather it go my skill than velocity/power factor.

Other than the ranking and classification system I dont think any other rules should be set as every match/club/situation is different and each match director should be able to set the rules for their own matches. I know at the match I shoot most often and RO for the MD tries to impart as few rules as possible so as to breed creativity, and boy do you see some creativity!

Last edited:
I am very new to the competition world. So new that I have yet to actually make the jump into a match. I just finished my purpose built comp rifle and am looking to start next year. All the things that have turned me off to the PRS are being addressed here. I really hope to see this come to fruition and kept legit. I love the idea of classification based on speed. Something similar to F/TR in that it keeps a somewhat level playing field. It's similar to truck and tractor pulls. You don't want super-mod rigs going against pro-stock and what not. They all have a place but to grow a sport there is always a first time for people and that usually starts with what they are pointed towards around here. Usually a .308. So the divisions are a great start. Something else I may suggest, selfish or not, is that even if the matches aren't broken into regions of the country get more on the east coast, like mid Atlantic. There is a whole region of potential participants kinda left to their own devices in the beginning because they don't want or can't travel 6 states away to shoot a competition for the first time and it be against the guys already in the major leagues. I know that facilities can be a hang up for our area, but there has got to be something. I would be all in if it could get some steam behind this. I'm more than willing to help and be a point of contact for our area if it helps any.

I think a lot of people aren't quite getting Frank's intent . As I'm reading it he's not talking about a traveling road show going around the country running matches but a clearing house for PR , sponsor contact , and ideas with a ranking system for the matches that want to participate in the league . Pretty sure its going to be up to the local individuals to set up and run the match just like it's always been .

I think a lot of people aren't quite getting Frank's intent . As I'm reading it he's not talking about a traveling road show going around the country running matches but a clearing house for PR , sponsor contact , and ideas with a ranking system for the matches that want to participate in the league . Pretty sure its going to be up to the local individuals to set up and run the match just like it's always been .
Exactly how I read it. Also how I think it would work best. And if MDs need some advice or assistance, then there is a place they can come to for input, advice, and more if desired.

I think that it should be settled and implemented with the most basic set of rules and then modified only as necessary to keep up with real issues and changes that are truly deemed necessary.

And you know what? This can only make it better for the hard pro competitors in the sport. The more the sport grows, the more solid sponsors it will attract and the cycle continues...

My wife and I are pretty new to this game, shot three local 1 and 2 day matches in WA. We are CMP distinguished and she's on the US PALMA team. Plus we shoot a fair amount of three gun. Until last year we didn't even know this game existed.

No rules! How liberating after the kibuki theater of rules that most shooting sports become.
Crazy positions.
The people in this sport are totally out of the box. So the stages are unpredictable.
The sport requires a level of fitness.Not ironman fit but you gotta be able to carry your gear. Please keep it that way
Haven't seen many primadonas who tailor the rules for their own benefit. (Ie David Tubb and high power fiasco)

In short this game is fun because it's not rule infested. Please keep it that way.

I agree with this guy 100%. The fact that there are very few rules makes things interesting, and the outside of the box thinkers (both the shooters with equipment and MD's with different courses of fire) are changing not only this sport, but LR shooting in general.

I raced 25 years of motocross and desert racing. I HATE classifications. In my opinion it adds to the pussification of America and an extension of giving everyone that competes a trophy. It creates new and interesting ways to sand bag and hold back regardless of an auto move up system. Do you want to be the guy who shows up and brags that you got 1st place in the novice, production, under 2600 fps class out of one shooter in that class? Lets face it, the guys who are intimidated by showing up to shoot against Wade Studeville, are the same guys who are intimidated to show up to a local shoot for the first time. Catering to them will not improve the sport as it sits.

As far as classifications of speeds goes. I disagree with this as well. We spin up our own barrels. I can shoot anything I want. I choose to shoot a 6.5 CM at 2800 fps. Why? Because I have seen to many times a spotter miss a call on steel from a dinky 6mm. Also 6mm at 3150 have terrible barrel life. Why does this concern me? Because I have seen more than once a guy shoot a barrel out mid match in a 250 round match. Also, I know guys who purposely shoot 308's or 7mm in paper heavy matches because they make bigger holes.

For the "booty". Yeah, I get it. How many rifles can one of the top 5 guys possibly win? This is why many clubs are awarding cash to the top 3-5 shooters and then raffling off the prize table. Awesome to me to see one of the lower place guys walk away with a brand new rifle build by Score High! Kudos to Phoenix for this addition to the game.

About cost, this is the sport. Do your best to have the best equipment you can. Another little story about my MX days. I don't know how many times I would be at the gas station in my beater $5,000 pick up with my $6,000 bike in the bed. A guy would pull up in a brand new F150 4x4, lifted, big ass tires and rims, and proceed to have a conversation with me about how he would love to race MX, but can't afford a $6,000 bike. My point? It is all in your priorities.

I seriously applaud any effort to better this sport, and am happy to help in any way that I can. I think the best/perfect solution would be to attempt common ground with the PRS, but I am ignorant to any past politics. As I read over my post, I realize that most of what I have said is negative. I am very sorry for this, and I am just trying to provide feed back, but am to stupid to come up with positive ideas to help our cause. Please forgive that.

BTW, I am a PRS series shooter (some how lucky enough to qualify for the finale), and I was assistant match director to this months Vegas Precision Rifle Competition.

Thanks for doing this and approaching it with a let put our heads together attitude,
Ty

I like the idea of "match in a box", or something similar. I think that clubs seeking assistance with courses of fire would find that useful. Many organizations use various "standards" courses of fire so people can compare their scores to others who are too far away to compete together. It ends up sort of like a postal match, but the advantage of that is seeing how you compare to other people shooting the same exercise. Then you know where you need the most improvement.

Most of the "standards" exercises don't have to be elaborate in order to test skill sets. I enjoy finding out that I do well compared to others, and when I suck compared to others, it shows me where I need improvement.

Frank, you have a great idea, with a lot of good suggestions from other members. I hope you and the members here can make this happen. I would love to see some local matches that are not exclusive to just the Front Range of Colorado.

I'd like to add my thoughts and suggestions.

Keep the rules simple, and try not to add artificial barriers to the comp. I like the idea of the scoring system, and drawing a line when it comes to speed or velocity. However, I strongly feel that the classification level for the Mil-Spec Division needs to be changed or modified. It currently reads "Any currently active member of the Military or Law Enforcement who uses a duty rifle or one assigned to them for their work." It bothers me personally that after serving 20-years on active duty that I can no longer compete with my Brother's In Arms because I'm now retired, I'm sure there are others here who feel the same way, including those in the Guard and Reserve. I understand that you need to keep Active Military and Law Enforcement training and discussions seperated or private for security reasons, but this is a competition.

Here's my suggestion for the MilSpec Division -

Open to any member using a rifle chambered in any current or past "commonly" approved U.S. MilSpec cartridge ( i.e. 30-06, 7.62x51, 5.56x45, and 300WM), and competitors must use commercially purchased (i.e. Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills, Corbon, etc.), Military Surplus (i.e. CMP supplied ammo), or current Military Issued ammunition (i.e. M118LR, Mk316, Mk262, etc.). This equates to no reloads.

I believe having the MilSpec division rules structured in this way will help level the playing field for not only new competitors who can only afford an off the shelf 308 rifle and have yet started to reload, but also those Mil and LE personnel who will likely have a 308 bolt gun, utilizing commercial or military provided ammunition. You wouldn't have anyone trying to game the system trying to push their 155-gr Palma bullet at 3200-fps, and hey, if someone wants to show up with a 32" barrel trying to get a little extra velocity with their Gold Medal Match ammo, so what? They will have to struggle with the heavier rifle and longer barrel in the comp.

I would also like to see that competitors will be allowed to switch divisions without affecting the outcome of their scores, for example, one match I may choose to shoot my 308, the next my 6mm or maybe a 6.5mm.

As mentioned by a couple others, I feel it wouldn't be fair to award points for train-ups. If there's a cost or funding issue getting a match going at a particular range, then I don't see a problem increasing the entry fee to cover that. If this is fully disclosed at the match, I feel most people wouldn't have a problem with it either.

Scopes, No limitations. How or where would you draw the line? I sure as heck would prefer my S&B 4-16 over any other higher magnification scope that doesn't have the clairity or resolution my lower power scope has. I think you would agree with me that it's the shooter, and not added magnification that leads to a successfull shot.

Good luck, and I'll be glad to help out with this any way I can.

Last edited:
Stop all the divisions. We are all shooting the same course of fire. Separate it by MV and you're done.

Good Info here:

Crazy positions.

Last edited:
As noted there are NO RULES to be put on anyone...

There is two divisions, based on MV, under 2800fps and over 2850fps ... that is it.

it is up to the individual Match Director to run their match however they see fit. If they have limited experience or want to make their match better we are happy to assist, that is extent of our influence on how a match is run...

I have been VERY VERY Clear about this... I said from the start, THE ONLY LIMITATION IS THE MATCH DIRECTORS IMAGINATION.

Nobody says you have to run a 6.5CM below 2800, however if you do, you fall into the Limited Division, if you run it over you are in the Open Division. How much clearer would you like me to make it. I have no interest in slowing any ones's loads down, or changing how you do business. Run what you brung and fill the appropriate space.

Please do not confuse what other people are writing to what i am proposing ...

Great thread. Been looking forward to trying out a match.
Hopefully, there will be some added in the Midwest area, Iowa, Missouri,
Minnesota, Illinois.

The idea that we are all shooting the same COF doesn't translate unfortunately, you cannot say a new shooter with an LTR shooting 168s is on a level playing field with a guy shooting a 260REM @ 2850fps, level the field complete open is how gear races start and end the experience. If a new guy shows up with a stock Savage and realizes he has no chance to be recognized or break the Top 20 unless he spends $4k on a new custom stick and $3k on a S&B 5-25x, they look for other places to go. Not everyone has disposable income to waste $10k on a competition worthy rig.

The speed limit does not intrude on a single person at all... period. It simply moves you from the Open to Limited -- your load is your load. There is no reason to change it.

Thanks for the thread Frank. We've discussed this offline before and I'm glad to see some progress.

Here are some random thoughts. Some of this is from shooting matches for a long time, and some of it is from being the only organization I know of that runs multiple major outlaw multigun and/or long-range matches every year (4 per year in 2012-2013), of different styles and at different sites, and I believe my staff and I have directly run more shooters through our matches in that timeframe than any other match staff involved in precision/tactical matches.

There are guys who take matches very seriously and spend a lot of time and money doing it. Some are with or strongly affiliated with manufacturers or otherwise with the industry and some are not. The pro/"semi-pro" class will always be there.

However, I do not believe the presence of the "serious" guys is an impediment to new people attending matches. I think there are several factors: (1) the intimidation factor of just coming out to a competitive event. This is made worse by the complexity of long-range shooting (combination skills, smarts, and equipment). (2) a developing sense of difference or deference to the "serious guys".

#1 has always been there and the way to address it IMO is through training and less serious events, so people don't see it as a 20' ledge they have to climb in one go, but as a series of 2' steps they can climb up.

#2 I see as more of a recent thing, both in long range and 3Gun. You never want a guy who has fun but will not place in the top 25% to feel like he's a second class match citizen. This means there can't be special treatment of the "serious guys" by the event. It has to be fair for everyone. If there is even the perception that the "Factory teams" get advantages that the regular guys who show up on their own do not, it's discouraging. This is the kind of "information sharing" that Frank talked about, but it could be other things. Also, I believe the "Team Jersey" phenomenon hurts this perception. I've heard multiple "regular guy" shooters make comments to the effect that it's intimidating.

As a general rule, I also want the guy who can only afford to make it to one big match, the one that's close to him, to not be at a disproportional disadvantage or feel like he's an outsider from his "own" local big match. That's just wrong. I know some very talented rifle shooters who cannot travel or take a lot of time away from work and they shouldn't feel like the pro circuit is coming to town an he's a second class citizen.

I have always been a fan of the outlaw or non-sanctioned matches, because they are more flexible and almost always are more awesome overall. That's the kind of match that I aim to run with the CD matches. Thus I am hesitant to sign onto any type of league or series that would want to micromanage the events in any regard.

I agree with the poster who said that divisions get out of control. He was talking about MX but in Enduro it's similar, they have dozens of divisions and it's stupid. I think even the 4 or sometime 5 divisions in 3Gun is too many. Heck, the A, B, C "classes" are arbitrary, just based on "Hey you finished in the 60-80th percentile so we're calling that B class. Show up, shoot the best you can, and see how you stack up against everyone. I know this wasn't proposed, but the idea of having to be vetted before you can be graded against the supposed best goes against some idea of the American spirit, at least to me.

Some people will always try to cherry pick what division they want to shoot in with regard to where they think they can place. And if you do it in a way where some divisions will always have better performance, the others become simply second class citizens. For example, in the proposed Limited division, what is that other than a handicapped equipment division? In 3Gun the dynamics of Limited/Tactical vs. Open are different mainly due to the different skills exercised (shotgun loading vs. speed loaders, iron pistol sights vs. red dot open guns, etc), and Tactical is the most popular division so it retains the prestige. I don't know that that would be the case with a Limited which was just the "slow loads" class.

I do get the idea of separating out the pro vs. "amateur" and somehow doing something with the "pseudo-pro" class. I don't know what the right answer is yet. I do think that if someone wants to compete in the pro class, there should be more "on them", be it entry fee, or sponsorship from their primary sponsor, or some other responsibilities. Bringing it back to the MX/enduro analogy, my local enduro series has worker points. To place in the series - period - you need to have so many worker points. Those can come from working non-event days (track prep, admin, whatever), or you get more credit for working as staff at one of the series events. I am still not a fan of separating out divisions like this but if it must happen, I think there has to be something like that going on.

From the MD side, it's also a much larger pain in the ass to have multiple divisions. Yeah, you have to split out scoring, but to do it right you also need to make 4 or whatever prize tables, with value proportional to the size of each division, and make sure the right type of stuff is in each one. There are other ways to do it, but if the divisions are actually different skills and each top-X-class winner is really a true champion of the class, then they ought to be equal prize tables.

Having to collect ammo randomly and do chrono checks in a credible way is a pain and requires probably 1-2 additional match staff just for that. I would say the same for a "$2000 and under" rifle class type division-- too hard and contentious to apply. What has worked pretty well for me, and I believe is in the spirit of equity and rewarding performance, is to have an open class, but call out the top-3 or 5 or whatever who shoot .308, or are active military, or whatever, with a plaque. This gives recognition but still grades everyone on the same playing field.

I am not sure that scaling match points by the maximum distance makes sense. I get the idea, though. The Steel Safari is a tough match-- because of the distance hiked, the exposure, the mental focus over a 5-6 hour time period required, finding targets, and heck, the shoot positions and shots are not easy. But did it get 44% harder year over year when I moved the furthest target from about 800 to about 1150 yards? No. The median target distance changed maybe 10 yards? This is a tough problem to address in a fair way and we've talked about it quite a bit.

Any league or series that uses up some sponsor resources needs to make sure that those sponsor resources pass through to the matches that actually make up the league or series.

We should really all think about what is better for the shooting community, our collection of sports (which I see ranges from USPSA style pistol, through 3Gun, outlaw multigun, precision, field/tactical long-range, etc), and the industry. I believe the primary aspect of that is getting more people excited about that family of sports, get them shooting safely, and get them on a path so they can compete. And that doesn't have much to do with catering to the pro/pseudo-pro rock star team crowd. The serious guys will always be serious. In some sense, the bigger the sports get, the more competition there will be at that top level.. so I kind of wonder what setting things up to discourage new shooters yet aggrandize the current top guys is really trying to accomplish.

Rob01, your comment about 'people today say a "PRS match" to describe matches' made me laugh. At the TBTC, I talked to one experienced shooter who described a stage as "very PRS-ey." I got a kick out of that because it was a textbook 3-Gun rifle stage, a style of stage I had shot at the Pueblo Rifle Match (that's "carbine" on here) 8-9 years ago.

Anyway, for all the angst we can have about who and so-and-so, and whatever league or series or pro or semi-pro or amateur, or whatever, we should all be doing this to have fun and not take it too seriously. There is no reason for some of the unsportsmanlike conduct, cheating, childish behavior and whining, that I've seen from grown men in the last year. Please remember that these events cannot happen without experienced range officers, and good shooters make the best range officers.

Again, just some thoughts.

thanks
Zak

The beauty of this method, is we don't care how much a hits is at any match. We only look at the end results.

How many shooters you shot against, what place you came in. (doesn't matter how the MD scores their match) We are basing points off the number of people you shot against and what place you finished)

How far was the furthest target you shot at (Some ranges have limited distance, this ways we give a few points to adjust for ranges shot)

What firearms did you shoot (Many tactical rifle matches include carbine and handgun stages, if you shoot more than just a rifle you are recognized by a few points)

This is not meant to perfectly describe your match experience, we can't do that without micromanaging on the match side of things. The idea is not to make more work for the MD. We just want something balanced we can use to gauge our experience, and results with against other shooters. We all fall under these same standards, so we can get a better representation of what was done. By using a Regional Model, odds are most will be shooting similar matches, so that makes it fair. Then from regional scores you move to a National Level, and there it comes down to the winner... It's simple, hands off and values the match experience on more than one level.

Consider this, if a regional shooter participates in several matches where the number of shooters is low, say less than 25 and the range he engages targets at is short, say under 400 yards, while he may be in the Top 3 on a consistent basis, he will be adjusted against someone who shoots against 50 people at distances to 1000 yards. It balances it out... perfectly, not but then again we are not interested in Homogenizing the sport, make it exactly the same across the board. We are simply attempting to add value to the diversity.

To address the divisions again, if you treat the Top 3 in both the same, than the Limited Division should not feel like a 2nd Class Shooter.

You can have, the Team Division be more of a Side Bet among the groups. That is how it is now, basically.

The LE/Mil is so small at these events I think it is easy to recognize those.

But honestly, I would almost say to a "Manufacturers Team" to put a few guys in the Limited and few in the Open. I think Surgeon has more than 10 guys, why not drop a few in the Limited ?

Really, the individual match is still wide open. It's only on the SH Website will it be separated out. As far as the match is a concerned nothing changes... at all. We are not interjecting when it comes to classes or divisions. It's a bit of the honor system in regards to MV, and through the TRL we can work on standardizing how we regulate that, but to start it should be honorable> There are several ways to do it... Especially at the National Level, I would make sure we ran everything through a Chrono, we have enough time to do that there. Locally or Individually we might not be able to do that but if we get regional directors involved we can at least attempt to monitor it.

An outlaw match can still exist, we are not asking a MD to do anything. The TRL Member need nothing more than the final score sheet tally and the further distance shot along with what what they shot... no other is work is necessary.

We want to retain the individuality of the competitions. As we progress we can bring matches under the umbrella, after all we have the outlet to promote and grow. Most are already advertising here to start with.

Frank , yes a chrono would be necessary .
Devils advocate here as a NHRA and circle track race guy.

We cant just look at dope on the shooter. If I knew that's what you were doing , then my card would be written down 1.1 mils lower than I would actually need to dial .
Just a thought .
Greg

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> First I,m against a phone book of regulatory oversight, Keep it simple and have fun.

Its the Indian not the Bow, Tubbs shooting a 308 @ 2700fps has lil to worry about shooting against me running a 6 @ 3100fps. Even if we are different divisions per velocity

Regardless of equipment user ability sets folk apart, A novice wants to shoot against fellow novices.
Running every competitors load over a chrono @ every match for verification = PITA

Separating folk by velocity vs ability makes lil sense
A novice is a novice regardless of fast or slow he pushing the bullet
Velocity has zip to do with shooter ability
I suggest a handicap system similar to golf, which allows anyone of any ability to compete on equal footing, Handicap can have several weighting factors, velocity, cal, barrel length etc etc
Getting the Handicap system right would ensure a level playing field regardless of equipment used or shooter ability, unlike a velocity alone based system.
Get it right and a rank beginner would have as much chance of winning as a factory shooter

So I,m sure there will be some howling for even making such a suggestion
that could level the field for every one period

Velocity has a ton to do with it, apparently you have not been paying attention.

It's about the gear race that velocity creates, your ability is born out in your score. Also there are those who hope to Buy Success, they are still a novice but can afford the best equipment so what happens when people with no experience but greater means come in to play ?

I will guarantee you, the best shooter with a 308 under 2700fps is not gonna break into the Top 10 with guys shooting 6mm at 3100fps. At K&M 14 of the Top 20 were shooting a 6mmCM alone.

Like I said, the Regional Side of things might be pain in the ass to start, but hopefully we are talking people willing to play by the honor system.

However, the National Matches can certainly chronograph everyone, as well any Finale can Chronograph everyone with little to no effort.

The SHC has check on Wednesday, safety brief, etc, chronograph during the sight in, then compete, Thursday, Friday, Saturday... No issue.

People will always push the limits, and try to buy success, as well if someone cheats regionally, I would hope there are enough people who know what is going on to discourage that, as Regional Shooters would know each other much better.

Hell the Chrono that Rifles Only sells is acoustic, we can set it up, clear it, and then have shooters in order fire 1 round and review it after... piece of cake.

And if you are really paying attention you realize the velocity division is just for the TRL and NOT the match, the Match does not change, only your standings as they relate to the TRL.

The match is up the MD, they are still wide open, so we are not limiting anything or effecting a single outcome, we are only dividing it after and at the National Level.

Regionally, and individually, nothing changes only your listing and standings as they relate to the Overall Big Picture

Frank, quick question; in your opening post, you gave a scoring example that involved pistol, carbine, SG and precision rifle. Do you envision most of these matches to have a multi-gun type format?

This whole concept is interesting for sure. Even if it just assists aspiring MD's in establishing new matches in new locations, it will help grow the sport. As others have said, if the emphasis is put on the FUN FACTOR, people will shoot, enjoy and come back again!

Putting on my nomex pants, but after years of shooting matches and always wondering how you stack as a shooter, not if you brought the right caliber.

I would really like to see a match similar to the Oregon snipers challenge that actualy limits the caliber. Heck everyone probably has a 308 barrel laying around that they could screw on. Not every match just one or two inn the seris that grades the shooter.

Your match entry fee includes the 200 FGMM required to shoot. Your ammo is issued when you sign up. You get 20 rounds to sight in, get dope to the furthest distance and the rest are for the match. Kinda like the Palma match.

Who cares about barrel lenght, because the MD will make it a pain if you have a 30" barrel to squeak out more FPS.

I agree with a lot that has been spoken about, the first/second class shooters. The "pros" should not be treated any different than anyone else. No communication means no communication! If you share anything about the course of fire with anyone, your done period match DQ.

Scoring for SH, I like the idea of the average distance vs the longest. You place one target at 1500 just to bump you distance score.

Good ideas, focusing on smaller less expensive matches will help drive new shooters. When the cost of entry goes up the likely hood of a new shooter jumping in is lower.

@Willys46

Been there done that, got the t shirt

We did a SHC that was 308 Only and Cor Bon provided ammo so everyone shot the same thing... it changed very little.

I am leaning towards the Average distance myself I like that idea a lot.

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> First I,m against a phone book of regulatory oversight, Keep it simple and have fun.

Its the Indian not the Bow, Tubbs shooting a 308 @ 2700fps has lil to worry about shooting against me running a 6 @ 3100fps. Even if we are different divisions per velocity

Regardless of equipment user ability sets folk apart, A novice wants to shoot against fellow novices.
Running every competitors load over a chrono @ every match for verification = PITA

Separating folk by velocity vs ability makes lil sense
A novice is a novice regardless of fast or slow he pushing the bullet
Velocity has zip to do with shooter ability
I suggest a handicap system similar to golf, which allows anyone of any ability to compete on equal footing, Handicap can have several weighting factors, velocity, cal, barrel length etc etc
Getting the Handicap system right would ensure a level playing field regardless of equipment used or shooter ability, unlike a velocity alone based system.
Get it right and a rank beginner would have as much chance of winning as a factory shooter

So I,m sure there will be some howling for even making such a suggestion
that could level the field for every one period

I have participated in several precision rifle courses over the last few years since I have been dabbling in the sport.
I had the privilege of shooting a large well known match in Texas last year. I had more fun than I thought was possible. I was told by many of the experienced shooters that their are only a few of these super high quality tactical matches per year so I chose well the first time.
I finished around 10 from the bottom. About 90 shooters total. However when I found out that about every pro/pseudo pro was there I actually felt good about my performance from my stock 308 AI.
However I am going back again this year and hope to do better. Same gun same ammo. More practice. Maybe I will do better maybe not.
If I am to continue this sport I must enjoy it. It's expensive and takes a lot of effort and time to go to matches. I live in Michigan and have yet found many tactical matches around here within a days drive so I am all for more matches.
But I see myself wanting to be able to compete against my peers. Novice. As fun and knowledge gaining it is to shoot next to Wade and others, I will lose interest in spending the time, effort and money to watch the pros walk away with all those custom rifles and goodies and me with no idea how well I am shooting against my non pro colleagues.
I will never be able to compete with those big boys but I feel my shooting is better now than it was a year ago. But how can I know this for sure?
Classifications are needed. I think more than just based on MV.

@Willys46

Been there done that, got the t shirt

We did a SHC that was 308 Only and Cor Bon provided ammo so everyone shot the same thing... it changed very little.

I am leaning towards the Average distance myself I like that idea a lot.

It changed little as the best shooters were on top. Trying to make it fair is a challenge for sure, MV is a good start, but does not take into account shooters ability. How do we measure shooters ability....who knows. The issues stream from if you make a game people try to game the games. People sand bag and there is nothing you can do about it. If your self esteem is so low you have to game the system to feel better about yourself, there is no hope.

Bigger prize tables bring out the worst in the competition. It's great that the sponsor give so generously but it has ramped up the issues you are trying to correct. I like the idea about the top finisher get cash, does a sponsored shooter new a new rifle? Then randomly pull people to the prize table. What would be better than the guy that showed up with a crappy system walking away with a new scope of full comp rig! Or have the big prizes randomly drawn.

Many years ago I watch some of the best shooters in the NW for go prizes due to they did not need them and gave them to the guys that could use them to get better. I respected them much more after that, they would have just sold it on line to recoup the money.

Heck one the Benchrest matches locally, the person that competed that had the worst gear got first pick.