• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

barrel crown question

Brada2

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
coos bay, oregon
I just picked up my remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 and i found a small dent in the crown near the inside diameter and the lands and grooves, is this something that i should be worried about? should i send it back to remington? or....is this a total newbie question? if needed i can send a picture through e-mail

Re: barrel crown question

There are alotta thoughts about crown. The biggest issue when cutting a new crown or the original is to make sure its concentric to bore and clean.

That said, What you are explaining may cause a point of impact shift, and or bullet jacket deformation if its drastic. IE protrudes into the bore of the rifle.
If its rather minor and resembles a bur I would probably shoot it and see what happens. If terrible accuracy then yeah get it fixed.

I wouldn't send it back... it's hard for us to say w/o seeing pics, but if it shoots fine, you're goo, if not, have a good gunsmith fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up my remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 and i found a small dent in the crown near the inside diameter and the lands and grooves, is this something that i should be worried about? should i send it back to remington? or....is this a total newbie question? if needed i can send a picture through e-mail

</div></div>

I would shoot it first, there is only one way to find out. Then make that determination.

remington700003.jpg

remington700002.jpg

here are the best photos that i could get on my phone

Shoot your rifle and see how it does. The crown is very important because it is the last part of the rifle that is contacting the bullet. If it was jagged/crooked it will disturb the flight of the bullet. In the picture you showed, it doesn't appear to be anything to worry about. But, shooting is the only way to find out. If this was a new rifle, you shouldn't have a problem contacting Remington if it turns to be a problem. Good luck.

Get a nice bright light and a magnifying glass and see if the metal inside the barrel there is distorted or shows a burr in any way. It almost looks like someone tapped it with a screwdriver to f*#& it up. I had an old barrel on a .223 700 that I was cutting down once and figured I would sabotage it and then crown it in different ways to see how much the crown affected. When I hit it with a screw driver it looked just like that and actually shot WORSE than when I hit it with a phillips head later and actually had 4 uniform burrs around the crown. Then again if it still shoots well it MAY just be a bad spot in the finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up my remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 and i found a small dent in the crown near the inside diameter and the lands and grooves, is this something that i should be worried about? should i send it back to remington? or....is this a total newbie question? if needed i can send a picture through e-mail

</div></div>

First shoot it and see how it shoots. Rem 700 barrels typically have a 45 degree cut right at the edge of the face of the crown and the barrel. If the ding you have does not go down past that 45 degree section of cut, the ding may visually annoy you, but have absolutely no effect on how your rifle shoots. To see a crown with a recessed 45 degree cut at the edge, you need to look down into the end of the muzzle (i.e. making sure your rifle is unloaded of course). To see in, it helps to take a Q-Tip and stick one cotton end in the end of the barrel down 1/2" or so, and that will help reflect light so you can see things better down to the inside edge of the barrel where the 45 degree cut meets the bore and rifling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(i.e. making sure your rifle is unloaded of course).</div></div>

You don't need to say this. If natural selection needs to take it's course, let it. :p

I saw the picture and dont think it wil affect a thing.It is tiny.Shoot it with good ammo and show us the groups.