• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barrel profile for do it all rifle?

GrendelShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2017
Behind enemy lines, Ca
I have a Winchester 70 (post ‘64, I think manufactured in 1970-71) in 30-06 that I really do like. 30-06 will do everything I need it to do, so I’m staying with that caliber.
The barrel though is kinda shot.

I want to rebarrel this rifle and put it in a new stock (probably a Boyd’s since the model 70 has next to zero aftermarket) but I’m an AR guy, I’ve never really done much work with bolt guns and their various barrel profiles.

So what would be a good profile for a do it all rifle? Something I can carry comfortably but also shoot to a thousand yards? Something that I could comfortably engage pigs and blue helmets with?

Curious to hear what y’all think. Thanks much.

I run a 26" proof research carbon sendero on my do-it-all rifle. Weighs nothing.

Hard to beat a light or medium Palma.

Proof all day. Especially cause you wont be shooting it out very quickly I dont think.

Find a good smith with a good reamer setup for the bullets you want to run. Good to go.

Another option would be a bartlein 3b or similar and fluted. That will allow for a brake but still be light

Remington sendero profile seems to be a good all around profile in my book. Not super heavy but stout enough for some range abuse.

If “carry” means hiking/hunting with it, then go Proof Research. Lightweight and can get the length you want without a weight penalty.

I have a krieger light palma (22”) on my hunting rig and just sent it out for re-barrel to put a 20” proof sendero lite on it. I hunt out west so lots of hiking with significant elevation changes.

Just my perspective.

I’ll be using the Serengeti reamer, seemed to work well for German Salazar and I have no intention of turning case necks lol.

I’m happy with the current 24” barrel, so I’ll probably stick with that too.

I do want a proof barrel, but gawd damn that sticker shock...

McMillian and Manners also make excellent Model 70 stocks. Be a huge upgrade from a Boyd’s. A Bartlien 3B or a light palma would be my barrel contour picks.

Sounds like a great rifle build either way, post some pictures when completed!

Remington sendero profile seems to be a good all around profile in my book. Not super heavy but stout enough for some range abuse.
This ☝ The Remington Varmint/Sendero. Plenty of aftermarket stocks are cut to fit this profile as well.

McMillian and Manners also make excellent Model 70 stocks. Be a huge upgrade from a Boyd’s. A Bartlien 3B or a light palma would be my barrel contour picks.

Sounds like a great rifle build either way, post some pictures when completed!

The Boyd's stock is going to weigh a ton.

Whatever a Tikka CTR 20" is - that's it IMHO.

I agree the Boyds stock is going to be a problem for carrying with a heavier barrel as well.