• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barrel suggestions.

3hundredWM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
In the shadows.
Upgrading my 300WM and would like to hear about barrel suggestions and why. This rifle is used for everything so do not hold back on a case of hunting. I want accuracy and if the rifle gets a little heavier but becomes more accurate, then so be it.

Also, what is the optimum barrel length for a 300WM?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Barrel suggestions.

From personal experience I would recommend Rock Creek or Krieger. Those have been real hammers for me. Truth is however that almost any of the custom barrel makers are going to be able to deliver a very high quality product.

As for the 300WM, there have been some debates on here not long ago about the appropriate length of barrel. As you might imagine, opinions are going to vary. IMHO, to get the most out of the slower burning powders to push the heavier bullets, you need a barrel that it at least 26". One of 300WM has a 26", the other a 28". I decided on the 26" for the above stated reasons and because it is my hunting rig and easier to move around. The 28" is on a target gun and is a very heavy barrel. I am not lugging it around. The Sendero / varmint contour seems to be the best compromise. If you are going to be hunting with this gun, that is the contour I would recommend.

There are a lot of good barrel makers.

A heavier barrel does not make a rifle more accurate.

Get a 10-twist.

Contour should depend on the primary use for the rifle.

There is no optimum barrel length without more information about intended use and loads.

Lots of good Barrels to choose from, cant go wrong with any of the big names. Also you need to pick out a bullet first. Then pick an appropriate twist rate and chamber reamer.

Rock, Bartlein, or Krieger would be my pick with a 1:10 twist.

I've been using Krieger barrels in various applications for a few years and have never been disappointed. As for barrel length, it makes sense that you'd have to go a little long to get the full benefit of the magnum round; but I wouldn't go longer than 26". Any longer than that and it wouldn't be a general purpose rifle.

A heavy contoured barrel its self will not make a rifle more accurate.
A heavy barrel will however make it easer to shoot the rifle more accurately.

Any of the big name barrels will be fine (I would pick which one has the best delivery).

What's just as important (maybe even more) is who is going to chamber and fit it to your action.

A mediocre barrel chambered and fitted correctly will shoot well.
A great barrel chambered and fitted poorly will never shoot well.

For a .300WM, minimum 26" and I would go with a Medium Palma contour. Not too heavy for hunting and still enough mass for a good heatsink.

Well currently I have a howa 1500 with a stillen no.4 bbl. 11 degree recessed target crown. The rifle is accurate and shoots with ease. Yes I hunt with it...but the weight doesn't bother me. I carried an M14 in the service.

Thank you all for your suggestions and knowledge. I have decided to wait and save up for a krieger....but the bbl size is unknown.

-3hundredWM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3hundredWM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to wait and save up for a krieger

-3hundredWM </div></div>

When you save what you need call around to the different smiths, at least one or two of the more reputable smiths will probably have some Kriegers in inventory, may save you some wait time from the factory.

Might be the heat, as its GAWD awful hot today, but isn't this question asked every other week?

Most here use maybe two different custom barrel brands in their lifetime once they get past factory barrels.

Pretty much the choice of a barrel is 80% personal preference with 11% what your gunsmith gets a discount for, 6% what some guy said, 3% 'scientific' reasons. (did that get close to 100?)

Anyway when it comes to barrel length most of us guys fixate on length while most women would say girth is soooo much more satisfying. Unless you are shooting out past 1000 yards for wives against other 300WM and your wife is tired of you losing her to the fat guy with bathing issues you can hunt with a 24" barrel and might even be bold enough to run 22".

I dont have alot of 300wm guys on my Christmas card list, gamers have abandoned it for super 6's and needle bullets while hunters have gone apeshit for bigger bore is better.

Anyway there is no magic barrel, none you NEED to wait 6 months for. No special rifling cutter, banger, progressive twist that will elevate your skills. So much more than the barrel determines barrel life. Adding the name Magnum to a cartridge doesn't automatically require 26". (once upon a time many interweb gurus swore it takes 24" to use the 308 effectively, now they use barrels almost as short as their pee-pees
blush.gif
)

Now MY barrels are made in a mountain fast in the hinter Norselands by virgin valkeries using an alloy in part from meteors, quenched in dragon's blood and single bit progressively cut using the nail of a Titan.

The rest of you are on your own (like I said itsa hot bitch out there today!)

Sorry if I have asked a question that is regularly asked. I'm pretty new to the civilian long range market and to the 300WM I own. I was just asking for advice and a little help.

Do a search for 6mmBR premium barrels, that gives a good list of manufacturers.

As far as length for a 300 win mag hunting rifle, I would personally go for 20" to 24", definitely no longer than 26". The velocity loss can be larger made up with reloading, and doesn't matter as much for hunting.

Contour, I would go for something lighter. Bull barrels are not more accurate than a light contour, they just don't heat up as fast and thus are more consistent if you plan to shoot lots before letting the barrel cool.

1:10 twist, 26", Bartlein if you can find one. Krieger is also guaranteed to be a good barrel and usually in stock.

1 in 10 is good to go for 300wm. Krieger or Mike Rock but others mentioned are good as well.